ImageImageImage

Pistons sign Johnson, release Beasley

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Re: Pistons sign Johnson, release Beasley 

Post#41 » by 440BB » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:13 pm

If Joe Johnson sticks with the team he can earn half as much as Josh Smith this year. The Dumars Legacy.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#42 » by Manocad » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:15 pm

Neptune wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Neptune wrote:Our SF position is weak, but we signed Joe and Carmelo is still available? Wow, our front office continues to be awful!

I'm not even going to comment how we let go a 30yr old Beasley and signed Joe. This organization man! I'm losing faith so fast!

Definitely can’t fault us for not signing Melo.

Right, let's sign the person with the less talent. Perfect!

This is the exact reason why we're a small market team that's not considered a preferred destination! Our front office still doesn't get it.

You mean other than Detroit being a cold midwestern city with no glitz and glamor?
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#43 » by Pharaoh » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:41 pm

Let's assume we're looking unlikely for a playoff berth come the trade deadline despite Rose, Kieff & Joe playing fairly well:

Could we get any kind of decent assets for any of them, either on their own or by adding Galloway (or Thon)?

Maybe I'm just hell bent on shifting most of this roster for picks & youth idk

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#44 » by The_Irony » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:33 pm

Im tired of seeing the “so and so signed but melo is without a job”

Does anyone really think melo is accepting of any nba job?

Do people really think if he got a call from sacramento or orlando hed rush to his phone to sign a deal?
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#45 » by DetroitPistons » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:59 am

Pharaoh wrote:Let's assume we're looking unlikely for a playoff berth come the trade deadline despite Rose, Kieff & Joe playing fairly well:

Could we get any kind of decent assets for any of them, either on their own or by adding Galloway (or Thon)?

Maybe I'm just hell bent on shifting most of this roster for picks & youth idk

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Absolutely. Rose averaged 18ppg on 48% shooting last year. If he has a similar year and is looking like a really good 6th man for us then he will definitely have trade value. Same for Morris. He had a bad stretch with OKC but if he gets back to being a good rotation player, which I think he will, then he will have some value too. Not Johnson though. He is too old to have any value.
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#46 » by Neptune » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:06 am

dVs33 wrote:
Neptune wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Definitely can’t fault us for not signing Melo.

This is the exact reason why we're a small market team that's not considered a preferred destination! Our front office still doesn't get it.
If not signing melo means you're not a preferred destination, then every other team in the league isn't a preferred destination.
I'm not a fan of signing Joe Johnson, but I'd take him over melo all day.

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app

No, we'll become an unwanted destination when we stop giving players chances. We've been the team that had the Rasheed's, the Rodman's and the Iverson's.

That's why I became a Piston fan and I'm from Texas.
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#47 » by Neptune » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:18 am

Manocad wrote:
Neptune wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Definitely can’t fault us for not signing Melo.

You mean other than Detroit being a cold midwestern city with no glitz and glamor?

Doesn't seem like folks mind going to Milwaukee or Portland. Basically the same weather, no glitz or glamor.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#48 » by MotownMadness » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Neptune wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Neptune wrote:Right, let's sign the person with the less talent. Perfect!

Doesn't seem like folks mind going to Milwaukee or Portland. Basically the same weather, no glitz or glamor.

What big FAs have signed there? Those teams have drafted and traded to get their rosters.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#49 » by Manocad » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:38 am

Neptune wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Neptune wrote:Right, let's sign the person with the less talent. Perfect!

Neither Portland nor Milkwaukee have ever been a preferred free agent destinations. Now, while I don't consider the Pistons to be a "small market" team in the classic sense, who you sign or don't sign doesn't determine whether or not you're in a small or big market.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#50 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:51 am

At least the "who would you rather sign, Melo or Beasley?" thread can be a thing, somewhere else.
I'm just hoping Markieff performs as well for us as Marcus did, so we don't have to second guess here.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#51 » by DBC10 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:51 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:At least the "who would you rather sign, Melo or Beasley?" thread can be a thing, somewhere else.
I'm just hoping Markieff performs as well for us as Marcus did, so we don't have to second guess here.

We better hope Markieff is at least 75% of who Marcus was because Chief Kieff last year was basically unplayable for OKC. And we're pretty thin at PF and bigs as it is with Zaza being gone. Unless we're thinking to roll out grandpa JJ at power forward which HOU did sometimes to space the floor. And I doubt Sekou is going to get more than 15 mins this season unless he destroys training camp.

The coaching staff isn't really given a whole lot of depth besides "play Blake 35 mins".
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,721

Post#52 » by zeebneeb » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:At least the "who would you rather sign, Melo or Beasley?" thread can be a thing, somewhere else.
I am also hopeful, but how much better off would this team be if it was Marcus again?

The SF position, unbelievably, hasn't been addressed at all when it's horrific.

Maybe an early season trade for a competent SF is being bandied about in the front office?

I hope so. I haven't been this down on a Pistons team in awhile. Good enough for the playoffs, not good enough for even a glimmer of hope for a miracle.

Oh well. Here's to another 5 years(maybe even longer at this pace) of irrelevance.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#53 » by MotownMadness » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:13 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
I am also hopeful, but how much better off would this team be if it was Marcus again?

Maybe an early season trade for a competent SF is being bandied about in the front office?

I hope so. I haven't been this down on a Pistons team in awhile. Good enough for the playoffs, not good enough for even a glimmer of hope for a miracle.

Oh well. Here's to another 5 years(maybe even longer at this pace) of irrelevance.

I wish we could pair another star with Blake with him playing at this level. Its just hard to imagine doing so without screwing ourselves for the next decade.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#54 » by Invictus88 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Manocad wrote:
Neptune wrote:
Manocad wrote:You mean other than Detroit being a cold midwestern city with no glitz and glamor?

Neither Portland nor Milkwaukee have ever been a preferred free agent destinations. Now, while I don't consider the Pistons to be a "small market" team in the classic sense, who you sign or don't sign doesn't determine whether or not you're in a small or big market.

I think if anything the cause and effect is exactly backwards: who you sign or don't sign can be determined by (in part) whether or not you are in a small or big market.

The size of your market is almost entirely decided by non-basketball factors that influence population density: geography, climate, development of city/infrastructure, crime, cost of living, etc. Your locality to other teams is also a big influence as well.

None of these are influenced by who you sign onto a basketball team.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#55 » by Invictus88 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:51 pm

zeebneeb wrote:

So here's the thing. At least for now I can see a conclusion to the gigantic debt of bad deals that has been plaguing us forever: Leuer, then RJ, Smoove and LG, then Drummond, and then Blake.

We don't really go anywhere with any of them (at their current salary levels) so just removing these dollars and not taking on bad contracts in return is a step forward that we haven't taken in over a decade.

Realistically we haven't been built to do anything meaningful that entire time. So doing anything to polish the proverbial turd is going in the wrong direction.

Will it be painful watching Tony Snell as our starting 3? Probably. But it's better than using the dollars on Leuer this season.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,721

Post#56 » by zeebneeb » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:23 am

Invictus88 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

So here's the thing. At least for now I can see a conclusion to the gigantic debt of bad deals that has been plaguing us forever: Leuer, then RJ, Smoove and LG, then Drummond, and then Blake.

We don't really go anywhere with any of them (at their current salary levels) so just removing these dollars and not taking on bad contracts in return is a step forward that we haven't taken in over a decade.

Realistically we haven't been built to do anything meaningful that entire time. So doing anything to polish the proverbial turd is going in the wrong direction.

Will it be painful watching Tony Snell as our starting 3? Probably. But it's better than using the dollars on Leuer this season.
Rock and a hard place it would seem. Problem is that what the hell the front offices plan for this team is exactly is anyone guess. Gut it and start over? Sure, why not. Go for the gold and trade for it? Sure, why not.

Instead we have what we have now. A directionless team that has two bonafide stars, both at the bigmen slots, surrounded my middling talent(generous I know)and being added to by aging, broken down has beens.

I'm not even frustrated anymore, or even the slightest bit angry. I think I'm just done with the whole damn thing. Ticket sales called me awhile back, and I told them, "call me when the team has a direction other then no where"

Donezo baby. Moving on.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,254

Post#57 » by GreekAlex » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:29 am

zeebneeb wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I am also hopeful, but how much better off would this team be if it was Marcus again?

Rock and a hard place it would seem. Problem is that what the hell the front offices plan for this team is exactly is anyone guess. Gut it and start over? Sure, why not. Go for the gold and trade for it? Sure, why not.

Instead we have what we have now. A directionless team that has two bonafide stars, both at the bigmen slots, surrounded my middling talent(generous I know)and being added to by aging, broken down has beens.

I'm not even frustrated anymore, or even the slightest bit angry. I think I'm just done with the whole damn thing. Ticket sales called me awhile back, and I told them, "call me when the team has a direction other then no where"

Donezo baby. Moving on.

The biggest glimmer of hope for me is the team isn’t locked into anymore bad long term deals.

The next time they sign another Jon Leur, I’m done too.

Return to Detroit Pistons