Morris 24
Johnson 15
Thon 10
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Re: Our rotation 

Post#2 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:43 am

Is that what YOU want the rotation to be or what you think Casey will actually do? I would personally be very disappointed if that was the rotation. IMO I would cut Brown out of the rotation completely unless he has somehow developed a jump shot. Kennard NEEDS to start. My preferred rotation would be:

Jackson 30/Rose 18
Kennard 30/Rose 10/ Galloway 8
Doumbouya 20/Snell 18
Griffin 35/Morris 13
Drummond 35/Wood 13

My preferred rotation would be something like that with maybe a little Brown and Maker peppered in from time to time.
GreekAlex
Starter
And1: 1,246

Post#3 » by GreekAlex » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:49 am

Before the Wood & Johnson signings I had a similar allocation of minutes.

I’m not sure how Thon will progress but I’d rather see Wood in that role.

It will be interesting to see how things work out in training camp & pre-season.
the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#4 » by the_l_train » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:06 am

DetroitPistons wrote:Is that what YOU want the rotation to be or what you think Casey will actually do? I would personally be very disappointed if that was the rotation. IMO I would cut Brown out of the rotation completely unless he has somehow developed a jump shot. Kennard NEEDS to start. My preferred rotation would be:

Jackson 30/Rose 18
Doumbouya 20/Snell 18
Griffin 35/Morris 13
Drummond 35/Wood 13

My preferred rotation would be something like that with maybe a little Brown and Maker peppered in from time to time.

I think Bruce should still get major minutes for his defense alone. We would be fine with Bruce starting at SF. Dude Is versatile enough to play the 1-3.

Snell off the bench. Not sure why everyone seems to be giving Tony the starting SF spot already.

Love the idea of throwing Sekou into the fire though. I think Snell should backup Kennard, and let Morris and Sekou take all the backup forward minutes. I'm afraid Wood doesn't make the team over Iso Joe, and Thon ends up playing surprisingly well at backup Center. He is the backup stretch-5 this team really needs.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#5 » by 440BB » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:48 am

Jackson 28/Rose 20
Kennard 30/Brown 13/Galloway 5
Snell 20/Doumbouya 20/Johnson 8
Griffin 33/Morris 15
Drummond 35/Wood 13

This is what I'd like to see to start, letting the play sort out the SF position. Hoping Doumbouya can develop or we see more of Snell. No way we'll actually see a 12 man rotation but matchups will dictate how much Brown, Galloway, Doumbouya and Johnson see the court. I'm in a wait and see position on whether Maker can step up into a consistent role and bump Wood. Kyri and Svi will be watching unless there's an injury. If Morris's neck isn't right then we better hope Wood and Thon can step up to keep Blake's minutes down.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#6 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:13 am

the_l_train wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:Is that what YOU want the rotation to be or what you think Casey will actually do? I would personally be very disappointed if that was the rotation. IMO I would cut Brown out of the rotation completely unless he has somehow developed a jump shot. Kennard NEEDS to start. My preferred rotation would be:

Jackson 30/Rose 18
Doumbouya 20/Snell 18
Griffin 35/Morris 13
Drummond 35/Wood 13

I think Bruce should still get major minutes for his defense alone. We would be fine with Bruce starting at SF. Dude Is versatile enough to play the 1-3.

Snell off the bench. Not sure why everyone seems to be giving Tony the starting SF spot already.

Love the idea of throwing Sekou into the fire though. I think Snell should backup Kennard, and let Morris and Sekou take all the backup forward minutes. I'm afraid Wood doesn't make the team over Iso Joe, and Thon ends up playing surprisingly well at backup Center. He is the backup stretch-5 this team really needs.

Yeah, the way I think about is that Brown was basically one of the worst offensive players in the league last year but got major minutes because of defense. Sekou projects to also be a bigger defensive player with a good motor so I no reason why he can't do what Brown did last year. Sekou also has much better jump shot already too, although he still needs to keep fine tuning it. Snell also brings defense but is also a 40% 3pt shooter too so I have him over Brown for that reason too. And yeah, I would love Maker to finally break out but I'm skeptical.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#7 » by Pharaoh » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Reggie 24, Rose 24 = keep them around this number in a effort to keep them healthy.

Luke 28, Brown 20 = time to see if Luke can take the next step as a player. Brown is in that boat too so:

Snell 20, Sekou 20, Brown 8 = Snell is a short term guy and the sooner we get the kids up to speed the better.

Blake 30, Kieff 18 = keeps Griffin's minutes low (enough) hoping to keep him healthy.

Dre 33, Wood or Thon 15 = once again get the kids out there and see what happens.

Easy schedule to start the season, maybe they build some confidence and get some momentum and belief in the group.

Worst case that fails and we fall back on Joe & Galloway.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#8 » by thesack12 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Why exactly should Kennard be handed the starting job, let alone Brown be taken completely out of the rotation again?

What am I missing, other than Luke Kennard simply being Luke Kennard?

Everybody wants to harp on needing/wanting better defense yet we're now talking about having the team' best wing defender not even see the floor?

I guess we are going to completely discredit Brown's summer league performance as well. Sure its summer league, but lets not act like if it was Kennard who had a SL like Brown did, that the Luke Lovers wouldn't be crowing from the highest mountain tops. Hell, if Kennard showed half the playmaking/ball handling/versatility potential that Brown showed, I'm quite confident there would be plenty of people claiming the offense should be less Blake and more Luke centric.

While Bruce has a long ways to go, he also deserves just as much of an opportunity to develop as Luke does.
aad
Starter
And1: 459

Post#9 » by aad » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Jackson 30/Rose 18
Doumbouya 20/Snell 18
Griffin 35/Morris 13
Drummond 35/Wood 13

I think that’s what Casey is gonna do
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#10 » by MotownMadness » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Jackson/Brown
Kennard/Rose
Snell/Sekou
Griffin/Morris
Drummond/Maker

Would try Brown as the backup point with him being worthless off the ball.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#11 » by DBC10 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:18 pm

thesack12 wrote:Why exactly should Kennard be handed the starting job, let alone Brown be taken completely out of the rotation again?

Everybody wants to harp on needing/wanting better defense yet we're now talking about having the team' best wing defender not even see the floor?

I guess we are going to completely discredit Brown's summer league performance as well. Sure its summer league, but lets not act like if it was Kennard who had a SL like Brown did, that the Luke Lovers wouldn't be crowing from the highest mountain tops. Hell, if Kennard showed half the playmaking/ball handling/versatility potential that Brown showed, I'm quite confident there would be plenty of people claiming the offense should be less Blake and more Luke centric.

While Bruce has a long ways to go, he also deserves just as much of an opportunity to develop as Luke does.

Yeah, significantly reducing Brown this season with our weak looking perimeter defense all around is bound to be a disaster. I'm pretty sure we're slated to be more or less the same as last year's perimeter defense which wasn't anything good to great either. It most likely will boil down to Brown filling in for Luke or Snell, depending on matchups since he can guard both positions. Still worried that our point guard defense is going to be a sieve though. At least Brown covered that area when he started last season.

It also remains to be seen if Sekou will even get decent burn in the upwards of 20 mins. He only gets that if he comes out of training camp destroying everybody and gaining 10 lbs. I'm not putting my bets that Casey will play a young fella that much to begin with. But he might be forced to play Sekou minutes at any forward spot if rumors of Markieff being our somewhat backup center in spot minutes is true. If all else to give Blake reprieve, because if he plays 35 minutes per night, we're basically going to repeat last season.

Coaching staff has said they're looking to reduce wear and tear for BG, so I'm expecting the Kawhi treatment this season and letting the likes of Snell and Rose to let it fly...eh
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,484

Post#12 » by whitehops » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:56 pm

a big part depends on which new acquisitions show up. rose was on fire to start last season and couldn't hit the ocean after his mid-season injury. morris was pretty bad last season but the season before was decent after multiple seasons of being "good". snell *should* be pretty consistent, he's always taken more threes than twos and shot consistently around 40% from 3. he can really only shoot spot up threes so his volume will be dictated by how much drive and kick action we can create. can iso joe still play? he might not even see the floor if he can't run. doumbouya is really raw but could surprise, but we don't really have the best idea of his skill set right now.

i really like the diversity in the lineups we can throw out with jackson, rose, kennard, brown and snell.
jackson/rose/kennard - max playmaking/shooting
jackson/rose/brown - max playmaking
rose (or jackson)/kennard/brown - all-around lineup
jackson/kennard/snell - max shooting
jackson/brown/snell - max defense/size? (brown is the only good defender of the bunch)
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#13 » by Pharaoh » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:22 pm

thesack12 wrote:Why exactly should Kennard be handed the starting job, let alone Brown be taken completely out of the rotation again?

This!

Which is why I've got Brown & Luke both playing 28 each

DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#14 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:25 pm

Kennard has a lot of potential and was arguably our best playoff performer. He is an additional ball handler and our best shooter too. He not only deserves to start based on his play but also his potential. We need shooters around Griffin.

I don't hate Brown or anything but spacing is critical for our success. Brown is good defensively but he wasn't the best perimeter defender in the league or something like that. He was solid. He cripples us on offense though and his defense doesn't make up for it. Kennard was much better than him last year and has the higher ceiling too.

And yes, we should discredit Brown's summer league. Just like we should discredit everyone's summer league. It means nothing.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#15 » by Pharaoh » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:58 pm

One could argue that Brown's D & playmaking should grant him a significant role.

DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#16 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:48 pm

Pharaoh wrote:One could argue that Brown's D & playmaking should grant him a significant role.

Of course you can argue it. His playmaking was not a thing at all last year though. That is all based on his SL, which again, doesn't matter. I like his defense for situational match ups but don't think it's worth giving him minutes over shooters like Kennard or even Galloway. Rose should also take his minutes at the SG position since Rose may actually be our best perimeter player believe it or not.
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#17 » by DTP » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:08 am

I can't sit back and take another season of Brown being a starter....he's just not a starter in this league. He's good enough defensively to play 10-15 minutes and throw out there in certain matchups but as a consistent starter and finisher of games- no. He's literally one of the worst offensive players in the league on a team that's already so limited offensively. Please don't bring up SL stats...he's still not a good playmaker, guys like Jackson, Kennard, Rose, Griffin are all significantly better playmakers and you aren't taking the ball out of their hands to allow Brown to run anything. He shot like crap in the SL because he's an awful shooter.

Even worse would be having Johnson playing 10-15 minutes....I'd much rather keep Wood and give Svi some run at small forward minutes. It's gonna be a long season...
thesack12
RealGM

Post#18 » by thesack12 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:22 am

DetroitPistons wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:One could argue that Brown's D & playmaking should grant him a significant role.

Of course you can argue it. His playmaking was not a thing at all last year though. That is all based on his SL, which again, doesn't matter. I like his defense for situational match ups but don't think it's worth giving him minutes over shooters like Kennard or even Galloway. Rose should also take his minutes at the SG position since Rose may actually be our best perimeter player believe it or not.

Its actually funny you mention this. I remember that you were trying to use the idea that the team was considering using Luke at PG in summer league 2018, as evidence why Luke is allegedly a good playmaker. Of course he ended up being hurt and didn't play SL that year, but its ironic the mere idea of using Luke at PG in summer league holds water for him, but Bruce actually thriving at point in SL "doesn't matter."

And now you're claiming Langston freakin Galloway, should get minutes over Brown? The same "shooter" Langston Galloway sporting a 38% FG, and 35% 3PT as a Piston.

You don't like Bruce Brown, just admit it.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#19 » by thesack12 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:26 am

DTP wrote:I can't sit back and take another season of Brown being a starter....he's just not a starter in this league. He's good enough defensively to play 10-15 minutes and throw out there in certain matchups but as a consistent starter and finisher of games- no. He's literally one of the worst offensive players in the league on a team that's already so limited offensively. Please don't bring up SL stats...he's still not a good playmaker, guys like Jackson, Kennard, Rose, Griffin are all significantly better playmakers and you aren't taking the ball out of their hands to allow Brown to run anything. He shot like crap in the SL because he's an awful shooter.

Even worse would be having Johnson playing 10-15 minutes....I'd much rather keep Wood and give Svi some run at small forward minutes. It's gonna be a long season...

I wasn't aware that Bruce Brown and his career 1449 minutes played was a finished product.

Man, if the standard we are setting for player development is playing less than half of the minutes per game in only a guy's rookie season, the outlook for Sekou Doumbouya is very bleak. He's barely going to see the floor his rookie season.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Post#20 » by Moses ShamMoses » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:41 pm

I think Casey has a 9 man rotation, something like the below (not accounting for spot minutes depending on situations and/or rest days for key guys):

1st Unit:

Reggie (30) Bruce Brown (20) Tony Snell (28) Blake (32) Andre (35)

2nd Unit:

D Rose (20) Kennard (28) the better of: Svi or Khryi or Iso Joe (18) Morris (25)
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'

Return to Detroit Pistons