Coach Casey Explains Why Luke Won’t Start

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,781

Re: Coach Casey Explains Why Luke Won’t Start 

Post#21 » by Snakebites » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:07 pm

There are valid reasons not to start Luke. He played some good ball off the bench last year. He played way better as a reserve than as a starter, and the numbers back that up pretty clearly. Despite similar minutes as a bench player compared to a starter, he scored more points per game on better efficiency and just straight up LOOKED better out there. He shot 38% from the field as a starter in 10 games. As a reserve in 54 games he shot 45% and 40% from three.

Maybe part of that was having a better role off the bench and getting more and better shots, and maybe, frankly, part of it was not having to play against the other teams' best. Either way the data is pretty clear that the 6th man role agrees with Luke.

It's not Casey's fault Brown is the best alternative as a starter. Also not his fault our options at the small forward position are so bad.
He has to get the best out of what we have, and on the perimeter it ain't much. :-?
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#22 » by DetroitPistons » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:28 pm

tradez401 wrote:a jackson, brown, snell lineup is atrocious.

Yeah it's disgusting... However, a Jackson/Kennard/Doumbouya/Griffin/Drummond starting 5 with Rose as 6th man looks a lot more hopeful and A LOT more exciting. I think we could still try and win now while also developing our best 2 prospects.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,781

Post#23 » by Snakebites » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Anyone who thinks there's even the slightest chance Sekou starts at any point this season is headed toward very likely disappointment.

I'd be thrilled if he has a role off the bench at any point this season.
the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#24 » by the_l_train » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:43 am

If that is the plan, let's not act shocked when Luke leaves us in free agency.

There will be a team smart enough to offer him a starting spot. Casey is just being stubborn at this point, and actually playing Luke and Blake together MORE would allow them to figure out some sort of chemistry.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#25 » by DetroitPistons » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:28 am

Snakebites wrote:Anyone who thinks there's even the slightest chance Sekou starts at any point this season is headed toward very likely disappointment.

I'd be thrilled if he has a role off the bench at any point this season.

I don't think people think there is much of a chance that Sekou starts. It's more of what I want to see and what would be best for the team now and in the future. I know Casey won't do it though.
tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Post#26 » by tradez401 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:01 am

if snell is really bad the first 10-15 games casey gotta throw sekou into the fire.
tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Post#27 » by tradez401 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:13 am

or just run a reggie, luke, brown lineup.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#28 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:55 am

Luke needs to play so well that there's no choice but to start him.
The same can/should be said for most of our players.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#29 » by flow » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Billl wrote:Meh - casey is just trying to be positive. The reason luke isn't starting is because he doesn't play D. You might be able to hide him a bit if our pg was a good defender, but RJ clearly isn't at this point. If you put him and RJ out on the perimeter together, you may as well just roll out a red carpet from halfcourt to the paint.

If we manage to land a well rounded pg somehow or if we get a rip protecting big, then luke likely leapfrogs Brown in the starting lineup.

Not just at this point. At any point in his career.

The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#30 » by The_Irony » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:24 pm

Its pretty obvious luke is needed off the bench more than hes needed to start.

The ball is going to stay in blake and reggies hands the first few possessions and luke is not jj reddick, he can do more than stay in the corner waiting for a 3.

When reggie leaves and if we get a pass first pg then luke in the starting lineup would make a ton more sense.
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#31 » by Neptune » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Who in heck honestly thought Kennard would start. The dude has never been good and isn't even a Piston-type player. Plus, the dude is a SVG draft pick. That means bust, role player or trade bait!
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#32 » by 440BB » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:49 pm

I saw enough in the playoffs when Luke was forced into a bigger role to want him on the floor for us. He stepped up when called on.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#33 » by Billl » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:37 pm

440BB wrote:I saw enough in the playoffs when Luke was forced into a bigger role to want him on the floor for us. He stepped up when called on.

Well, when Blake was out, Luke looked great. He put up 21 and 19 in those games. With Blake? Back to his normal 9 and 11.

I don't know if it's part mental or just the touches, but he hasn't been able to keep up that production when he's out there with Blake.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,254

Post#34 » by GreekAlex » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:52 pm

Billl wrote:
440BB wrote:I saw enough in the playoffs when Luke was forced into a bigger role to want him on the floor for us. He stepped up when called on.

Well, when Blake was out, Luke looked great. He put up 21 and 19 in those games. With Blake? Back to his normal 9 and 11.

I don't know if it's part mental or just the touches, but he hasn't been able to keep up that production when he's out there with Blake.

Hopefully the coaching staff recognizes this and develops different schemes/ game plans that maximize the skills of both Luke & Blake.
the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#35 » by the_l_train » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:07 pm

Neptune wrote:Who in heck honestly thought Kennard would start. The dude has never been good and isn't even a Piston-type player. Plus, the dude is a SVG draft pick. That means bust, role player or trade bait!

"The dude has never been good" lololol

Nothing wrong with being a role player...playing the role of starting SHOOTING guard....Key word there, so maybe we start someone who can actually SHOOT...

Bruce and Snell may be more of a "Pistons-type player", but not enough offense to roll those two out there together.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#36 » by jakebernat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:11 pm

reggie is the problem with luke getting his touches, not blake. don’t get me wrong, reggie had a good bounce back year last year, and showed some ability to play off the ball, but luke is easily the superior perimeter talent in my opinion. luke and brown should be starting in our backcourt if (and hopefully when) we trade reggie for another wing. they compliment each other extremely well, and we would be able to let rose dominate the 2nd unit.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#37 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:41 am

jakebernat wrote:reggie is the problem with luke getting his touches, not blake. don’t get me wrong, reggie had a good bounce back year last year, and showed some ability to play off the ball, but luke is easily the superior perimeter talent in my opinion. luke and brown should be starting in our backcourt if (and hopefully when) we trade reggie for another wing. they compliment each other extremely well, and we would be able to let rose dominate the 2nd unit.

I actually think Jackson is about to have his best year with us. He is finally healthy and a full season of what we saw from him last year after January would be a really good player. With that said, my ideal scenario would be packaging Jackson with picks, Kennard, Doumbouya for a star perimeter talent and starting Rose at PG.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#38 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:44 am

Billl wrote:

I don't think he's had much of a chance to adjust to that role either though. Casey seems to try him in the starting lineup from time to time but I want to see him start for 2 or 3 months so he can adjust to playing with guys like Griffin, Drummond, and Jackson for longer stretches. He just needs time to figure out when to spot up and when to get his own with those other guys on the floor.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#39 » by Billl » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:26 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
Billl wrote:

I don't think he's had much of a chance to adjust to that role either though. Casey seems to try him in the starting lineup from time to time but I want to see him start for 2 or 3 months so he can adjust to playing with guys like Griffin, Drummond, and Jackson for longer stretches. He just needs time to figure out when to spot up and when to get his own with those other guys on the floor.

Maybe, but this has been an issue with him from the start. Even off the bench, he was super passive and guys had to beg him to look for his own offense. He looks to have finally gotten over that when he's out there with lesser talent, but he still fades into the background with our "stars".
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#40 » by tmorgan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:03 pm

"with the Pistons abundance in playmakers".... oh god, oh god, I'm dying here.

We have ONE playmaker. It's Blake. Maybe Rose on good nights without tunnel vision. Kennard might legit be the second best playmaker on the team.

Return to Detroit Pistons