Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#301 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:40 am

flow wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

Does anyone know when the Lottery will actually take place?

August 25.
Long wait!

Thought it would take place once the playoff teams are decided

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#302 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:48 am

DCintheD wrote:I think RJ Hampton might be this year’s under the radar gem. I get Westbrook vibes from him. Plus he passes the name test
Note how little he high 5s his team mates or even looks in their direction after the numerous dunks, 3s whatever he's doing.

Will say it's a poorly made clip that seems all about dunking for the first 5+ minutes

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#303 » by Manocad » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:32 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
DCintheD wrote:I think RJ Hampton might be this year’s under the radar gem. I get Westbrook vibes from him. Plus he passes the name test
Note how little he high 5s his team mates or even looks in their direction after the numerous dunks, 3s whatever he's doing.

Will say it's a poorly made clip that seems all about dunking for the first 5+ minutes

I quit watching after hearing him yell "And one!" for the tenth time after driving the paint for the 11th time. Got away with a number of travels too.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#304 » by flow » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:44 pm

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#305 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:10 pm

That one is a bit different from alot of the consensus. Just shows what a wild card the lottery is going to be.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#306 » by rmfc » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:01 pm

Thankfully, it's just a mock. Gotta land Edwards in this draft. Hope we get lucky one time, at least.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#307 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:42 pm

Poor mock IMO - I can't see Wiseman falling to 8 or Edwards falling to 4.

Assuming the Draft did go this way I'd be pissed we didn't take Okoro and didn't do everything possible to land Nesmith or Vassell as well

Crymson
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#308 » by Crymson » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:50 am

Most mocks are bad and this one is no exception. Okongwu at first overall? Edwards falling to #4 and being deemed the best pure shooter in the draft? The Pistons drafting a combo guard when they've got no PGotF and a bazillion shooting guards? The Pistons, Knicks and Suns all passing on Hayes, who somehow drops to #11, despite all of the three needing a PGotF? The Wizards drafting a point guard in the top ten when they've still got Wall, who has an immovable contract with three years remaining on it? And apparently Culver is the Wolves' small forward of the future, with some vague reference to his "development," despite the fact that he's A) primarily a shooting guard and B) had a bad rookie season. And so on.

Terrible.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#309 » by Pharaoh » Thu Jul 2, 2020 4:24 am

Assuming the order stays as it is right now:

GSW - Wiseman makes the most sense unless they trade the pick, in which case it'll be either Wiseman or Edwards anyway.

CLE - Assuming Wiseman is gone they'd have to take Edwards even with Garland & Sexton on board. That could be a potent 3 guard rotation in a few years.

Assuming Edwards went #1 cause the Warriors traded the pick surely the Cavs don't pass on Wiseman for a dude like Deni but they are known to do crazy stuff with their picks.

tl;dr I do believe Wiseman and Edwards go top 2 regardless of trades or not. That means Minnesota can flip the Draft on it's head@ #3.

MIN: Okongwu or Okoro actually make sense here as they need D with KAT, DLo & Beasley in the line up. Given their other youth I'll tip Okongwu here.

ATL: Hopefully they take Obi and plan on using Capella, Collins and Toppin are their 4/5 trio moving forward.

Mocks seem to assume they'll take a guard...not sure why when Trae is that guy and I can't see Ball as a compliment to him.

DET: We choose Okoro over Ball due to work ethic, competitiveness and D

NYK: Land Ball, which just seems like such a perfect fit!

CHI: Take Deni to replace OPJ soon enough

CHA: Take Hayes and Batum helps him adjust for a year. Having Hayes also means they don't have to pay Monk when the time comes and they can roll with Rozier, Graham and Hayes at the guard spots.

WAS: Take Nesmith and play Beal, Wall & Rui + the sharp shooter together and push for a playoff spot.

PHO: Give us #10 for Luke and we land Vassell here

As far as I'm concerned Draft over lol

Retain Wood in free agency, sign Giles at areasonable price, upgrade Hall, King and Bone...

Wood, Giles, Patton
Blake, Sekou, Hall
Okoro, Snell, King
Vassell, Svi, Thomas
Brown, Rose, Bone

I'd be in a jizz haze for days

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#310 » by vic » Thu Jul 2, 2020 11:53 am

Pharaoh wrote:Assuming the order stays as it is right now:

GSW - Wiseman makes the most sense unless they trade the pick, in which case it'll be either Wiseman or Edwards anyway.

CLE - Assuming Wiseman is gone they'd have to take Edwards even with Garland & Sexton on board. That could be a potent 3 guard rotation in a few years.

Assuming Edwards went #1 cause the Warriors traded the pick surely the Cavs don't pass on Wiseman for a dude like Deni but they are known to do crazy stuff with their picks.

tl;dr I do believe Wiseman and Edwards go top 2 regardless of trades or not. That means Minnesota can flip the Draft on it's head@ #3.

MIN: Okongwu or Okoro actually make sense here as they need D with KAT, DLo & Beasley in the line up. Given their other youth I'll tip Okongwu here.

ATL: Hopefully they take Obi and plan on using Capella, Collins and Toppin are their 4/5 trio moving forward.

Mocks seem to assume they'll take a guard...not sure why when Trae is that guy and I can't see Ball as a compliment to him.

DET: We choose Okoro over Ball due to work ethic, competitiveness and D

NYK: Land Ball, which just seems like such a perfect fit!

CHI: Take Deni to replace OPJ soon enough

CHA: Take Hayes and Batum helps him adjust for a year. Having Hayes also means they don't have to pay Monk when the time comes and they can roll with Rozier, Graham and Hayes at the guard spots.

WAS: Take Nesmith and play Beal, Wall & Rui + the sharp shooter together and push for a playoff spot.

PHO: Give us #10 for Luke and we land Vassell here

As far as I'm concerned Draft over lol

Retain Wood in free agency, sign Giles at areasonable price, upgrade Hall, King and Bone...

Wood, Giles, Patton
Blake, Sekou, Hall
Okoro, Snell, King
Vassell, Svi, Thomas
Brown, Rose, Bone

I'd be in a jizz haze for days

Thats a Perfect scenario... In reality i think the Knicks would try to trade down to get Ball from us. Hopefully we'd get an extra pick that way. But I'm not sure if Weaver would do it or what he thinks about Ball.

I actually like Lamelo his talent is the highest in this draft. His floor - making the whole offense better.

As long as we get either one of Edwards/Ball/Okoro plus Vassell I'm good!
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#311 » by flow » Thu Jul 2, 2020 4:29 pm

Here's another mock.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-usc-big-man-onyeka-okongwu-surges-up-when-trades-create-chaos/

This one has us taking Hayes, who is intriguing to me. Especially if we're truly rebuilding.

He and Sekou did a little segment together. Don't know what they're saying, but they seem to get on well.

Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,665

Post#312 » by Invictus88 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:21 pm

There's just no proof that Wiseman will be a good fit in today's NBA. It's not an indictment against him. It's just he's young and hasn't demonstrated skills worthy of a number one pick. So I'm skeptical of those who state such with any level of certainty.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#313 » by BJK1 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:11 pm

I watched some Hayes highlights for the first time and came away impressed. He’s a big kid with really good handles, court vision, and instincts as a passer. But highlights aside, what stood out to me is that he’s got sort of a natural bounce and wiggle to his movement that allows him to get by defenders in his league with relative ease. He can beat guys (again, in his current league) with speed when he needs to, but his shiftiness, body control, and dribble allows him to catch defenders off balance.

Level of competition and physical maturity (strength) are certainly going to be concerns for this guy, but I like his natural tools and instincts. From what I’ve read elsewhere, he apparently has a very high basketball IQ, so that’s promising.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#314 » by DCintheD » Thu Jul 2, 2020 9:21 pm

BJK1 wrote:I watched some Hayes highlights for the first time and came away impressed. He’s a big kid with really good handles, court vision, and instincts as a passer. But highlights aside, what stood out to me is that he’s got sort of a natural bounce and wiggle to his movement that allows him to get by defenders in his league with relative ease. He can beat guys (again, in his current league) with speed when he needs to, but his shiftiness, body control, and dribble allows him to catch defenders off balance.

Level of competition and physical maturity (strength) are certainly going to be concerns for this guy, but I like his natural tools and instincts. From what I’ve read elsewhere, he apparently has a very high basketball IQ, so that’s promising.

I’d draft him over Ball without even thinking.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#315 » by BJK1 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 12:56 am

Another July mock. Agree or disagree, it’s got pretty interesting analysis:

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/07/02/2020-nba-mock-draft-3-0-is-james-wiseman-the-no-1-overall-pick/
Crymson
Rookie

Post#316 » by Crymson » Sun Jul 5, 2020 2:28 pm

LMAO, Cleveland taking Okongwu at #2? I'll have what these folks are smoking. Cleveland is in a bad place and will take BPA. It's doubtful that Okongwu has a high ceiling.

Also, Charlotte takes another PG. Mmkay. And Chicago takes another PF. Alright. And Portland, despite being cap-locked and weak at SF and PF, takes another guard. Alright. And so on.

Another terrible mock. Are they tapping high schoolers to write these?

BJK1 wrote:Another July mock. Agree or disagree, it’s got pretty interesting analysis:

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/07/02/2020-nba-mock-draft-3-0-is-james-wiseman-the-no-1-overall-pick/

Let's see. Firstly, LaMelo will not drop to #5, and the talk of him being the 2nd coming of Luka is nonsense; Luka is a phenom and was far ahead of Ball at the same age, and LaMelo will need to make a universe of progress as a shooter and an overall scorer in order to match Luka.

About Okoro:

I’m not sure there is anything more valuable in the modern NBA than a wing that is a multi-positional defender, that can guard in space and that is capable of creating against a close out or in isolation

Uh, sure there is: a wing who can SHOOT. That's the league's most necessary skill. Okoro can't do it yet. Nor has he any credentials as an isolation scorer at the NCAA level.

Why would the Wizards, who've got about $70 million tied up in Wall and Beal alone, take another guard when they're so weak at small forward and center?
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,325

Post#317 » by Worst_to_First » Thu Jul 9, 2020 12:06 am

DCintheD wrote:
TurboTitan wrote:Never been more certain on a bust in my life

This is how I feel about Ball and I’m confused why others don’t see it.

Demi’s short wingspan relative to his height will make things challenging for him in the NBA. Lacks the length to be a 4 while lateral quickness could be an issue in guarding the wings.

For LaMelo I think his lack of athleticism will also limit his ability to be an efficient scorer in the league. I can see his double clutch layups being easily blocked in the NBA. He is one that will have to rely on his skills (which is there) but will have to be hitting shots at a high percentage to be have a net positive effect.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#318 » by The_Irony » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Ignoring the Sekou pick in general, the Pistons have tried their hardest to remain irrelevant and to go against the current NBA trend of high level guard play. This team was never going to or will never win with any sort of Reggie Jackson or Bruce Brown (Fred Van Vleet if we're talking the free agency route)starting at PG.

This org has to avoid the mistake they made passing up KPJ for a player that will more than likely never see the NBA and draft a guard for goodness sake. Killian Hayes is the best fit for this team and has a high chance to be in everyones top 3 redraft articles that will be written in 5 years. Kid seems to have it all to be a 10+ yr starter in this league and Detroit would be foolish to pass up if he's there in 3-5 range.

Melo Ball has been intriguing me more as of late. He has the highest ceiling out of everyone and it's hard to pass up a late blooming 6'8 PG with experience playing adults. Tragic 3 ball aside, averaging 17 8 and 7 as a teenage rookie in a new country speaks volumes. If he can up his 3 ball to 32% It would mean a lot.

This team should avoid the safe picks that have ruined this team for a decade and take chances on picks that pass the eye test a bit more. Henry Ellenson has to be one of the worst piston draft picks of all time and is a prime example of Front Offices having no clue about the modern NBA . Was that the fault of the coach? Possibly, but imagine if they drafted the player that played ball 45 minutes away in college that was drafted 2 picks later. Hes already a better SG than Luke Kennard and a prime example of how bad the draft selections have been over the past decade.

Needless to say this is the biggest draft in years for Detroit. I hope they finally have someone who has the foresight to point out what this team needs the most.
bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 390

Post#319 » by bjones521 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:04 am

Id be fine with Ball or Hayes at PG. Id prefer Ball, Hayes reminds me of DRussell
Crymson
Rookie

Post#320 » by Crymson » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:28 pm

bjones521 wrote:Id be fine with Ball or Hayes at PG. Id prefer Ball, Hayes reminds me of DRussell

Ball should remind you of Elfrid Payton. Unless you count Simmons, to whom Ball does not at all favorably compare, Payton is the one and only non-shooting point guard who saw major minutes this season. He saw those minutes with one of the league's worst teams, and he played badly in them.

I'd rather Russell than Payton. If Ball doesn't become a passable shooter, he'll be worth little in the NBA.

Return to Detroit Pistons