ImageImageImage

Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#201 » by tradez401 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:16 am

i really hope detroit dont draft a non shooting bigman we need as much shooting we can get im good with them drafting a guard or wing.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#202 » by Pharaoh » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:34 am

vic wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
vic wrote:It's still a wings league... guards are fun but wings help you win because they impact the game more on both ends.

i would love to see the Pistons get Isaac Okoro and Devin Vassell.

Unless a big guard like Lamelo or Anthony Edwards is available... I'm sticking with Okoro & Vassell.
Agree.

Kinda hoping we can trade Luke to Phoenix for #10, select Okoro at 5 & Vassell at 10.

Wood
Sekou
Vassell
Okoro
Brown

Rose, Blake & Snell here as vets next year to school all those kids

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

MAN that exactly what I was thinking. I would actually watch games live next year if we got 2 good wings/big guards in this draft.

Its been hard seeing the Pistons behind the curve for so long on what actually wins games. Seeing them get those two would put the league on notice that there is some bball iq back in this organization.
As much as Ball, Hayes or whomever might be able to bring I'm still a firm believer that you build you're own team identity your own way.

Yes wings & guards atm seem the "winning pieces" but if you try to duplicate the LAC or GSW you're just going to lose as you're using inferior talent against the best.

I've tagged Okoro & Vassell not because they're wings but because of what they could become.

IF Okoro has the work ethic he could be another Jaylen Brown. Vassell could be another Beal.

So IF Wood is Wood, Sekou = Spicy P, Okoro = Brown & Vassell = Beal...

WOW!

The drama with any draftee is: we never know what kind of work ethic these kids will have once they get paid.

Look at Kawhi and Giannis - who knew? They just went to work.

We need guys who just love the game and work at it cause it's what drives them and what they love.

Who is that kid? Idk

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,886

Post#203 » by tmorgan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:06 am

I just don't understand ANY of the love for Ball. He's not some random euro with potential that's too young for his league. He played American HS ball and didn't look particularly good at anything but passing. He played in Australia and pretty much sucked. He has an older brother with an EXTREMELY similar game that's taken three years and two teams to progress from awful to average.

He's a below average athlete for an NBA point guard. Yes, he has some size, but his jumper sucks. Yes, he has great vision, but what difference does that make when everyone can play off him and screw up all the passing lanes.

This is what you want with a top 5 pick? Why? WHY? I really don't understand. He's a project PG with upside limited by his athleticism and currently limited by his broke ass jumper. Ugh.

People who see Jason Kidd in Lonzo or LaMelo simply don't remember how much better of an athlete young Kidd was than either of these two clowns.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#204 » by Pharaoh » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:28 am

If you can't shoot in today's game you're toast. I'm not on the Ball bandwagon for that reason.

Dude can't shoot, doesn't defend, yeah nah I'm out.

I look at guys and the only criteria I have given the lack of psychological info I have available is:

Can this dude be part of a championship team?

If the answer is no GTFO

Okoro, Vassell, Okongwu? At worst they can play a role.

Ball? Dude can't shoot ot defend so no

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#205 » by vic » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:14 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
vic wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Agree.

Kinda hoping we can trade Luke to Phoenix for #10, select Okoro at 5 & Vassell at 10.

Wood
Sekou
Vassell
Okoro
Brown

Rose, Blake & Snell here as vets next year to school all those kids

MAN that exactly what I was thinking. I would actually watch games live next year if we got 2 good wings/big guards in this draft.

Its been hard seeing the Pistons behind the curve for so long on what actually wins games. Seeing them get those two would put the league on notice that there is some bball iq back in this organization.
As much as Ball, Hayes or whomever might be able to bring I'm still a firm believer that you build you're own team identity your own way.

Yes wings & guards atm seem the "winning pieces" but if you try to duplicate the LAC or GSW you're just going to lose as you're using inferior talent against the best.

I've tagged Okoro & Vassell not because they're wings but because of what they could become.

IF Okoro has the work ethic he could be another Jaylen Brown. Vassell could be another Beal.

So IF Wood is Wood, Sekou = Spicy P, Okoro = Brown & Vassell = Beal...

WOW!

The drama with any draftee is: we never know what kind of work ethic these kids will have once they get paid.

Look at Kawhi and Giannis - who knew? They just went to work.

We need guys who just love the game and work at it cause it's what drives them and what they love.

Who is that kid? Idk

Bigs have been reffed out of the game. 2-way wings have been the way to win ever since the Bulls underpaid Scottie Pippen for 6 championships and Jordan gets all the glory for them to this very day.

Its not about following trends for me... its about adapting to the rule changes of the game and doing what works. If you simply look at the geometry of the floor and the defensive rule changes, athletic 2 way wings with length and shooting are the way to win. You need them to even be in the conversation. The more talented they are, the better.

Who knew about Kawhi and Giannis - a lot of people did... I wanted the Pistons to draft both of them, especially Kawhi.

I like Anthony Edwards, Okoro, Vassell... Ball is 6'7 and supertalented, and had triple doubles against grown men... so I'm not counting him out. I'd be ok with any of these guys.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#206 » by Billl » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:57 pm

The league has changed in the paint, but really, guys who can shoot, pass, and drive have always been the foundation of good NBA teams. If you can get that in a 6'9" body, that's about ideal, but it's the skill set that really matters. And really, you need 2-3 star level guys like that to be in the championship conversation, and you'll likely want them at different positions to maximize their impact.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#207 » by DetroitSho » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:44 pm

tmorgan wrote:I just don't understand ANY of the love for Ball. He's not some random euro with potential that's too young for his league. He played American HS ball and didn't look particularly good at anything but passing. He played in Australia and pretty much sucked. He has an older brother with an EXTREMELY similar game that's taken three years and two teams to progress from awful to average.

He's a below average athlete for an NBA point guard. Yes, he has some size, but his jumper sucks. Yes, he has great vision, but what difference does that make when everyone can play off him and screw up all the passing lanes.

This is what you want with a top 5 pick? Why? WHY? I really don't understand. He's a project PG with upside limited by his athleticism and currently limited by his broke ass jumper. Ugh.

People who see Jason Kidd in Lonzo or LaMelo simply don't remember how much better of an athlete young Kidd was than either of these two clowns.
Just wondering, you're calling them clowns for WHAT reason?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#208 » by Invictus88 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:43 am

This draft class is extremely bad / unproven. Even the consensus #1 is really only #1 because everyone else sucks more. He's still not the sure thing you'd expect to get from that position.

So yeah. Ball is a huge risk. But so is everyone else. This draft is all about picking your poison:

Anthony Edwards SG - Volume shooter, needs to improve shot selection, inconsistent defender -- especially off the ball
James Wiseman C - Andre Drummond all over again but even more unproven and likely way less polished
Lamelo Ball PG - Can't shoot yet, not super gifted athlete
Cole Anthony PG - Poor decision-making, small
Deni Avdija F - Lacks size and strength to guard 4s and 5s; lacks quickness to guard smaller players; Almost exclusively right handed; Inconsistent shooter; Struggled to finish around the rim at times
RJ Hampton SG - Volume shooter, Poor accuracy from range, lacks motor or footwork for defense
Tyrese Haliburton PG - Super thin at 180lbs, slow unorthodox release, plays under the rim
Killian Hayes PG - Needs work on his jump shot, Struggles to score in traffic, needs work defensively
Onyeka Okongwu PF/C - No outside range, poor FT shooter, unskilled offensively
Isaac Okoro SF - Poor outside shooter, poor FT shooter, tentative at times
Obi Toppin PF - Turnover-prone off the dribble, Slow-footed when asked to defend on the perimeter, may have less upside than others here due to age (22)

And yes, I focused mainly on the most glaring weaknesses of each of the top players. But there aren't any sure things in this draft. There aren't even a lot of 'probably's. Just question-marks everywhere.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,886

Post#209 » by tmorgan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:44 am

DetroitSho wrote:Just wondering, you're calling them clowns for WHAT reason?

Oh, I don't know, how about because their father is a ridiculous loudmouth master-of-ceremonies hype machine and his kids are his performers? It may not be their fault, but the end result is the same.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#210 » by Pharaoh » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:22 am

Invictus88 wrote:This draft class is extremely bad / unproven. Even the consensus #1 is really only #1 because everyone else sucks more. He's still not the sure thing you'd expect to get from that position.

So yeah. Ball is a huge risk. But so is everyone else. This draft is all about picking your poison:

Anthony Edwards SG - Volume shooter, needs to improve shot selection, inconsistent defender -- especially off the ball
James Wiseman C - Andre Drummond all over again but even more unproven and likely way less polished
Deni Avdija F - Lacks size and strength to guard 4s and 5s; lacks quickness to guard smaller players; Almost exclusively right handed; Inconsistent shooter; Struggled to finish around the rim at times
RJ Hampton SG - Volume shooter, Poor accuracy from range, lacks motor or footwork for defense
Tyrese Haliburton PG - Super thin at 180lbs, slow unorthodox release, plays under the rim
Killian Hayes PG - Needs work on his jump shot, Struggles to score in traffic, needs work defensively
Obi Toppin PF - Turnover-prone off the dribble, Slow-footed when asked to defend on the perimeter, may have less upside than others here due to age (22)

And yes, I focused mainly on the most glaring weaknesses of each of the top players. But there aren't any sure things in this draft. There aren't even a lot of 'probably's. Just question-marks everywhere.
From what I've read Hayes improved his outside shot this season.

JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#211 » by JohnReese » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:33 am

This is a draft to have 2 picks between the 5 and the 20. Not sure things but a lot of opportunities. I would even consider trading our pick for the 3 the Celtics have.
Pistol King
Junior
And1: 456

Post#212 » by Pistol King » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:48 pm

Pharaoh wrote:From what I've read Hayes improved his outside shot this season.

He shots in the German league at 21.8% from 3 this year, in a 20 games sample size. (made 12 of 55 attempts).
IMO the most overrated prospect in this class.

He intrigued me as a late lottery pick as someone who can slowly can be developed into something interesting, but all the hype around him lately really completely changed the way I value him. He's not a top 10 pick material. At least not from what he shown so far.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#213 » by Drwho17 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:53 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:
Drwho17 wrote:RIght, I think the play is Ball if he's available, I think he has the highest upside of the PG's in this class, plays a position of need out there.

Whoever drafts Ball will be bitching about his shooting for years, talking how he still has "upside" 5 years into his career.

His free throw percentage projects him to be a good shooter, his problem isn't that he is a terrible shooter, his problem is selection which can be worked out. I think even if he never turns into a great shooter, he will be able to be a good finisher once his body matures, and he really looks like he's going to be an elite level passer, so a tall pass-first PG I think would be good enough.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#214 » by DetroitSho » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:51 pm

tmorgan wrote:

Oh, I don't know, how about because their father is a ridiculous loudmouth master-of-ceremonies hype machine and his kids are his performers? It may not be their fault, but the end result is the same.

This is pretty stupid logic. Their dad's a clown so they're clowns? Would it have really been that hard to admit you misspoke based on your strong feelings against Lavar? With that logic I guess that makes me a truck driver since my dad is, despite the fact I've never been in an 18 wheeler.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#215 » by hoophabit » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:58 pm

One thing that happens as regards draft prognostication is that often there are one or two picks where the experts 'didn't see that coming.' The trick for teams is to be on the receiving end. Take the best available athlete is generally good advice? Talk about pressure...
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#216 » by DBC10 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:29 pm

Invictus88 wrote:This draft class is extremely bad / unproven. Even the consensus #1 is really only #1 because everyone else sucks more. He's still not the sure thing you'd expect to get from that position.

Yeah looking at the list, it's really nothing to write home about. Everyone is basically flawed and there are some that can MAYBE be a chip caliber player. Good news is, this basically means we'll be bad again next year for a way better draft while other tankathon teams won't be there anymore like Warriors and maybe the Knicks with their appetite to spend.

I just don't want someone like Wiseman, because he really does look like a Drummond/DeAndre Jordan all over again. Nah...
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#217 » by Kilo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:36 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
tmorgan wrote:

This is pretty stupid logic. Their dad's a clown so they're clowns? Would it have really been that hard to admit you misspoke based on your strong feelings against Lavar? With that logic I guess that makes me a truck driver since my dad is, despite the fact I've never been in an 18 wheeler.

Not to mention scads of youtube vids from their television show where they're acting like fools.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#218 » by Manocad » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:47 am

DetroitSho wrote:
tmorgan wrote:

Actually that's pretty strong logic when applied to the context of the offspring pursuing a similar career path as the parent.
tradez401
Starter

Post#219 » by tradez401 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:10 am

DBC10 wrote:

Yeah looking at the list, it's really nothing to write home about. Everyone is basically flawed and there are some that can MAYBE be a chip caliber player. Good news is, this basically means we'll be bad again next year for a way better draft while other tankathon teams won't be there anymore like Warriors and maybe the Knicks with their appetite to spend.

I just don't want someone like Wiseman, because he really does look like a Drummond/DeAndre Jordan all over again. Nah...

wiseman would be a good fit on a team that has great scorers like the warriors or the celtics he'd be a terrible fit in detroit imo.
tradez401
Starter

Post#220 » by tradez401 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:12 am

i want no parts of lamelo ball here in detroit doesnt look ready for the nba and his jumpshot is horrendous.

Return to Detroit Pistons