ImageImageImage

Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

User avatar
King Bugs
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,509
And1: 217
Joined: Oct 18, 2006
   

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#261 » by King Bugs » Sun May 24, 2020 10:29 pm

Pharaoh wrote:You think Casey will give the keys to a rookie PG?


Yes I do, LaMelo upon being drafted would immediately be the best PG (hell, player) on the roster.... flaws and all. Rose can't hold up playing starters minutes and that Brown at PG experiment needed to end months ago. LaMelo would be a day one starter.

DetroitDon15 wrote:For me, I don’t see anyone else outside of Edwards having the potential for being a star. There really is no room for Edwards at the moment. I just feel Ball has the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft.


Wha? If we end up with Edwards that means we had the 1st or 2nd pick, you MAKE room for him. But highkey, none of these dudes we have at the 2 is keeping Edwards from starting day one and getting 35 minutes (at least) a night,. Svi & Brown are roleplayers and shouldn't be starting on any NBA team and the FO showed their hand with Kennard when they put him on the block during trade deadline, he might not even be a Piston anymore after draft night.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
Posts: 7,673
And1: 161
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: Michigan
         

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#262 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:13 am

King Bugs wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:You think Casey will give the keys to a rookie PG?


Yes I do, LaMelo upon being drafted would immediately be the best PG (hell, player) on the roster.... flaws and all. Rose can't hold up playing starters minutes and that Brown at PG experiment needed to end months ago. LaMelo would be a day one starter.

DetroitDon15 wrote:For me, I don’t see anyone else outside of Edwards having the potential for being a star. There really is no room for Edwards at the moment. I just feel Ball has the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft.


Wha? If we end up with Edwards that means we had the 1st or 2nd pick, you MAKE room for him. But highkey, none of these dudes we have at the 2 is keeping Edwards from starting day one and getting 35 minutes (at least) a night,. Svi & Brown are roleplayers and shouldn't be starting on any NBA team and the FO showed their hand with Kennard when they put him on the block during trade deadline, he might not even be a Piston anymore after draft night.


If the Pistons draft Edwards, I see the following line-up:

G - Rose - Brown - Boone
G - Edwards - Svi - English
F - Kennard - Snell - King
F - Griffin - Sekou
C - Wood - Maker
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 12,832
And1: 3,151
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#263 » by Pharaoh » Mon May 25, 2020 3:16 am

King Bugs wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:You think Casey will give the keys to a rookie PG?


Yes I do, LaMelo upon being drafted would immediately be the best PG (hell, player) on the roster.... flaws and all. Rose can't hold up playing starters minutes and that Brown at PG experiment needed to end months ago. LaMelo would be a day one starter.

DetroitDon15 wrote:For me, I don’t see anyone else outside of Edwards having the potential for being a star. There really is no room for Edwards at the moment. I just feel Ball has the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft.


Wha? If we end up with Edwards that means we had the 1st or 2nd pick, you MAKE room for him. But highkey, none of these dudes we have at the 2 is keeping Edwards from starting day one and getting 35 minutes (at least) a night,. Svi & Brown are roleplayers and shouldn't be starting on any NBA team and the FO showed their hand with Kennard when they put him on the block during trade deadline, he might not even be a Piston anymore after draft night.
Disagree. Even Edwards wouldn't start for Casey on opening night.

IF drafted he'd come off the pine behind Luke, Brown & Rose.

Yeah we'd play some 3 guard line ups but I don't see any rookie starting for us next season

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
King Bugs
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,509
And1: 217
Joined: Oct 18, 2006
   

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#264 » by King Bugs » Mon May 25, 2020 4:13 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Disagree. Even Edwards wouldn't start for Casey on opening night.

IF drafted he'd come off the pine behind Luke, Brown & Rose.

Yeah we'd play some 3 guard line ups but I don't see any rookie starting for us next season


We'll agree to disagree, but the fact that this is something that even needs to be considered means that Casey needs to be fired at season's end... whenever that'll be.

We truly have no need for Dwane anymore, let him go to a team that needs help making a playoff push.
edmunder_prc
Junior
Posts: 411
And1: 220
Joined: Dec 06, 2015
   

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#265 » by edmunder_prc » Mon May 25, 2020 9:17 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:
G - Rose - Brown - Boone
G - Edwards - Svi - English
F - Kennard - Snell - King
F - Griffin - Sekou
C - Wood - Maker


Kennard is not a 3 unless he is spending this whole time on steroids, lifting, working hours every day on his physique, explosiness, etc. Even then, he doesnt have the bone structure, arm length, to be great after maxing out his body/speed/strength.

Kennard is too slow, too weak, not great fast twitch muscles. He gets by almost entirely on being crafty and having a quick shot. How do you guard the elite 3s in the league with weak, slow, short armer?

Rose screws up a re-build unless Rose really wants to put up excellent stats for 2 more years for his reputation and story. He probably is already Hall of Famer, but maybe not? Put up great stats for a couple more years (already not bad for the Twolves, then pretty good with the Pistons).

Rose is a ball hog. He is awful at making anyone better. But hes not good enough to be like an AI Philly team, obviously.

So Edwards is welcome, then maybe trade Rose.

Even try Edwards at PG, because the team needs to tank anyways, and he can learn something more about passing, how a team operates. Devin Booker was played as PG to tank. Kevin Durant was played as a SG to tank, when he was really a SF/PF. He was just thin, but at 7ft+ and gangly, he wasnt a SG.

So Edwards is fine, but Kennard is not an SF. SVI, who knows what he is. Not fast enough to guard SG. Not strong enough to guard SF.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
Posts: 7,673
And1: 161
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: Michigan
         

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#266 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:15 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
G - Rose - Brown - Boone
G - Edwards - Svi - English
F - Kennard - Snell - King
F - Griffin - Sekou
C - Wood - Maker


Kennard is not a 3 unless he is spending this whole time on steroids, lifting, working hours every day on his physique, explosiness, etc. Even then, he doesnt have the bone structure, arm length, to be great after maxing out his body/speed/strength.

Kennard is too slow, too weak, not great fast twitch muscles. He gets by almost entirely on being crafty and having a quick shot. How do you guard the elite 3s in the league with weak, slow, short armer?

Rose screws up a re-build unless Rose really wants to put up excellent stats for 2 more years for his reputation and story. He probably is already Hall of Famer, but maybe not? Put up great stats for a couple more years (already not bad for the Twolves, then pretty good with the Pistons).

Rose is a ball hog. He is awful at making anyone better. But hes not good enough to be like an AI Philly team, obviously.

So Edwards is welcome, then maybe trade Rose.

Even try Edwards at PG, because the team needs to tank anyways, and he can learn something more about passing, how a team operates. Devin Booker was played as PG to tank. Kevin Durant was played as a SG to tank, when he was really a SF/PF. He was just thin, but at 7ft+ and gangly, he wasnt a SG.

So Edwards is fine, but Kennard is not an SF. SVI, who knows what he is. Not fast enough to guard SG. Not strong enough to guard SF.


It’s my assumption if we drafted Edwards. I’d be a lot different with Ball who I want. I want a PG most out of this draft.
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 28,689
And1: 15,989
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#267 » by MotownMadness » Tue May 26, 2020 12:54 pm

Edwards or Ball better start if we are using a top3 pick during a rebuild on them. Peraonally i think Edwards is a 18-20ppg player in his rookie year. The percentages might suck but hes too high volume not to be.
Canadafan
Veteran
Posts: 2,603
And1: 831
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
       

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#268 » by Canadafan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:34 pm

If we get 1st we gotta go Edwards no?
Is Ball really that good? He seems slow and ugly shot. I dunno maybe it's the name but he just does not seem like a good idea.
Crymson
Senior
Posts: 580
And1: 217
Joined: Apr 17, 2016

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#269 » by Crymson » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:42 am

Canadafan wrote:If we get 1st we gotta go Edwards no?
Is Ball really that good? He seems slow and ugly shot. I dunno maybe it's the name but he just does not seem like a good idea.


I'm sure the team's draft board is Edwards first and either Hayes or Ball second. I have strong misgivings about Ball and Edwards, but I think the Pistons must take the risk on the best potentials.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,873
And1: 614
Joined: May 30, 2010
   

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#270 » by DCintheD » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:43 pm

Crymson wrote:
Canadafan wrote:If we get 1st we gotta go Edwards no?
Is Ball really that good? He seems slow and ugly shot. I dunno maybe it's the name but he just does not seem like a good idea.


I'm sure the team's draft board is Edwards first and either Hayes or Ball second. I have strong misgivings about Ball and Edwards, but I think the Pistons must take the risk on the best potentials.

Hayes >>> Ball.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
Canadafan
Veteran
Posts: 2,603
And1: 831
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
       

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#271 » by Canadafan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:23 pm

DCintheD wrote:
Crymson wrote:
Canadafan wrote:If we get 1st we gotta go Edwards no?
Is Ball really that good? He seems slow and ugly shot. I dunno maybe it's the name but he just does not seem like a good idea.


I'm sure the team's draft board is Edwards first and either Hayes or Ball second. I have strong misgivings about Ball and Edwards, but I think the Pistons must take the risk on the best potentials.

Hayes >>> Ball.


Good to hear. Give me Edward's and Hayes
Canadafan
Veteran
Posts: 2,603
And1: 831
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
       

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#272 » by Canadafan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:26 pm

JohnReese wrote:I was checking some scenarios simulating the lottery and trying to predict our pick:

1. Wolves: Ball
2. Spurs: Avdija
3. Hornets: Wiseman
4. Cavs: Edwards
5. Warriors: Okoro
6. Hawks: Toppin
7. Pistons: Haliburton


1. Wolves: Ball
2. Hornets: Wiseman
3. Cavs: Edwards
4. Hawks: Okoro
5. Warriors: Advija
6. Pistons: Haliburton

1. Cavs: Edwards
2. Knicks: Ball
3. Pistons: Wiseman

1. Pistons: Ball

1. Wolves: Ball
2. Pistons: Wiseman

1. Hawks: Edwards
2. Cavs: Ball
3. Pistons: Wiseman

1. Warriors: Ball
2. Hawks: Edwards
3. Knicks: Okoro
4. Pistons: Wiseman


You got all the bases covered except for if we pick 5th. :wink: Who ya got in that scenario?
User avatar
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 21,682
And1: 1,823
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Contact:

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#273 » by bstein14 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:51 pm

So we're pretty much locked into our lottery odds now. I'm assuming because teams played different #s of games they'll do ranking for the lottery based on win %, which would put us in 5th. That means we have a 10.5% chance at the first pick, which isn't awful but not something to bank on either.
1st pick 10.5% Chance
2nd pick 10.5% Chance
3rd pick 10.6% Chance
4th pick 10.5% Chance

That's still only a 42% chance we move up into the top 4 with the odds being more likely that we pick somewhere between 5th and 8th. There is a less than 1% chance we pick 9th and we can't possibly pick 10th thru 14th.
Crymson
Senior
Posts: 580
And1: 217
Joined: Apr 17, 2016

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#274 » by Crymson » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:11 am

Canadafan wrote:You got all the bases covered except for if we pick 5th. :wink: Who ya got in that scenario?


It would be a feat of epic stupidity for the Pistons to select Wiseman. They need a point guard. Center is the least important position in basketball. Wiseman can't shoot. He's an athletic, pick-and-roll-focused big whose work ethic, motor, and maturity are in question. Where have the Pistons encountered that situation before? Huh.

Wiseman is a guy who's worth taking a flyer on for a team that's already set at the foundational positions. The Pistons aren't. They need to strike gold on someone at one of those positions. And Drummond should still be fresh in everyone's minds. If Wiseman is on the board when they pick and someone else wants him, they'd best trade down.

DCintheD wrote:Hayes >>> Ball.


As things currently appear, Ball has the higher ceiling but the lower floor.
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 12,832
And1: 3,151
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#275 » by Pharaoh » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:54 am

Crymson wrote:
Canadafan wrote:You got all the bases covered except for if we pick 5th. :wink: Who ya got in that scenario?


It would be a feat of epic stupidity for the Pistons to select Wiseman. They need a point guard. Center is the least important position in basketball. Wiseman can't shoot. He's an athletic, pick-and-roll-focused big whose work ethic, motor, and maturity are in question. Where have the Pistons encountered that situation before? Huh.

Wiseman is a guy who's worth taking a flyer on for a team that's already set at the foundational positions. The Pistons aren't. They need to strike gold on someone at one of those positions. And Drummond should still be fresh in everyone's minds. If Wiseman is on the board when they pick and someone else wants him, they'd best trade down.

DCintheD wrote:Hayes >>> Ball.


As things currently appear, Ball has the higher ceiling but the lower floor.


Crymson wrote:
Canadafan wrote:You got all the bases covered except for if we pick 5th. :wink: Who ya got in that scenario?


It would be a feat of epic stupidity for the Pistons to select Wiseman. They need a point guard. Center is the least important position in basketball. Wiseman can't shoot. He's an athletic, pick-and-roll-focused big whose work ethic, motor, and maturity are in question. Where have the Pistons encountered that situation before? Huh.

Wiseman is a guy who's worth taking a flyer on for a team that's already set at the foundational positions. The Pistons aren't. They need to strike gold on someone at one of those positions. And Drummond should still be fresh in everyone's minds. If Wiseman is on the board when they pick and someone else wants him, they'd best trade down.

DCintheD wrote:Hayes >>> Ball.


As things currently appear, Ball has the higher ceiling but the lower floor.


Disagree that C is the least important position. Need a guy who can space the floor, defend the PnR on the perimeter AND protect the paint.

Wiseman isn't that guy right now but he's also not a finished product.

Then again neither is Edwards, neither is Ball, neither is Hayes or Okoro or Okungwu.

That's 6 dudes and assuming we pick 5th 2 dudes of that group will still be on the board.

We just have to hope that whomever we pick is actually driven and can develop into a stud

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
flow
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,800
And1: 1,053
Joined: Feb 18, 2016

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#276 » by flow » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:50 pm

I like my point guards to be point guards first & foremost. Floor generals who can selflessly run, direct and facilitate the offense. That they can shoot, score and get to the rim are all necessary, but still secondary to having floor general instinct.

This being said, I love Tre Jones. He's a bigger, taller (3 inches), more athletic version of his brother Tyus (whom I was also a big fan of). He also defends better. His shooting improved markedly from his freshman to sophomore year.

Not suggesting we take him in the top 3, but I'd love to end up with him somehow.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 28,689
And1: 15,989
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#277 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:39 pm

flow wrote:I like my point guards to be point guards first & foremost. Floor generals who can selflessly run, direct and facilitate the offense. That they can shoot, score and get to the rim are all necessary, but still secondary to having floor general instinct.

This being said, I love Tre Jones. He's a bigger, taller (3 inches), more athletic version of his brother Tyus (whom I was also a big fan of). He also defends better. His shooting improved markedly from his freshman to sophomore year.

Not suggesting we take him in the top 3, but I'd love to end up with him somehow.

Yeah Tre is gonna be a solid player and might be the best defender in this draft. Obviously not top 10 pick material but would be a nice late pickup if possible like you said.
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 10,809
And1: 4,409
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#278 » by Kilo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:22 pm

Anthony and Wiseman are my 1/2 and could go either way if we had the top pick. Wiseman's physical package and the weakness at the top of the draft makes him a worthy gamble.

Sleeper name Kira Lewis. We'll pick too high to reasonably grab him, but a trade back to late lottery (or revisit Kennard for PHX FRP) and I'd be interested.

I don't draft a PF in this draft with Griffin here two more years, Wood more a 4 than a 5 and Sekou is going to end up a PF as well.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 28,689
And1: 15,989
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#279 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 pm

Kilo wrote:Anthony and Wiseman are my 1/2 and could go either way if we had the top pick. Wiseman's physical package and the weakness at the top of the draft makes him a worthy gamble.

Sleeper name Kira Lewis. We'll pick too high to reasonably grab him, but a trade back to late lottery (or revisit Kennard for PHX FRP) and I'd be interested.

I don't draft a PF in this draft with Griffin here two more years, Wood more a 4 than a 5 and Sekou is going to end up a PF as well.

Like the idea of grabbing Kira as well. Hopefully with so many PGs in the draft he slips late 20s where some playoff team will sell their pick to dump a contract like the Bucks last year.
JohnReese
Junior
Posts: 440
And1: 219
Joined: Feb 15, 2016
   

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#280 » by JohnReese » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:50 pm

I do not like the contract of any Top3, none of them is worth that money and in case you need to trade them later, that hurts their value.

Fultz or Ball have contracts which make them less valuable, their QO clearly hurts their value.

I would definitely trade down, Bridges+10# would an amazing deal for us.

Return to Detroit Pistons