Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#821 » by The_Irony » Thu Oct 8, 2020 10:43 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
The_Irony wrote:At this point Im not convinced the #2 pick will be any better than the 7th pick

This. There's just so many glaring flaws at the top of this draft. The fact that there's no real consensus after #1 (and even he has faults) is pretty telling.

I'd much rather keep Kennard and possibly flip him for a pick in 2021. It's his contract year. He averaged 15.5 last year and shot 40% from behind the arc.

It's kind of funny just how little people want to unload him for. "A bag of chips fo Kennard?" "I'd do that deal in a heartbeat!"

I dont think there will be a better time or opportunity to unload kennard than now with boston or philly. His skillset matches those teams needs way more than Detroit at the moment.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#822 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 8, 2020 11:28 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:
vic wrote:Actual champions leaking intelligence

https://sports.yahoo.com/steve-kerr-discusses-type-player-205555929.html

"You're really trying to dig aren't you (laughter)?" Kerr jokingly answered. "Well, we learned a lot from our own journey over the last five years. You got a guy like Steph Curry -- who has other-worldly skill -- and if there's somebody like that out there, you gotta consider him no matter what.

"If there's nobody with that kind of skill, then you really gotta look at the playoffs and think, 'What's winning? What's winning at the highest level?'
And these days it's not really any secret -- versatility, switchability, guys who can guard multiple positions and stand up to the physicality.

Refreshing to hear championship basketball IQ speaking out. Unless theres otherworldly skill available, you need athletic defenders to win. The final 2 rounds of the playoffs show us that every year. Weaver please take note!

Love Vassell if Okoro is not available. Would love to somehow get both actually

The other thing Kerr has talked about in the past is wingspan - at one time, his Warriors has the best wingspan/height ratio on the league.

Which reminds me of Jay Bilas when Pistons drafted Luke.....

“Kennard is 6’6” with a 6’4” wingspan....... wait, how’s that even possible?!?!?”

I think Herro is 6'6 with a 6'3 wingspan
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#823 » by Invictus88 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 11:56 pm

The_Irony wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
The_Irony wrote:At this point Im not convinced the #2 pick will be any better than the 7th pick

This. There's just so many glaring flaws at the top of this draft. The fact that there's no real consensus after #1 (and even he has faults) is pretty telling.

I'd much rather keep Kennard and possibly flip him for a pick in 2021. It's his contract year. He averaged 15.5 last year and shot 40% from behind the arc.

It's kind of funny just how little people want to unload him for. "A bag of chips fo Kennard?" "I'd do that deal in a heartbeat!"

I dont think there will be a better time or opportunity to unload kennard than now with boston or philly. His skillset matches those teams needs way more than Detroit at the moment.

I'll have to agree to disagree. He hasn't played since being out due to injury. Great outside shooting is always going to be valuable to pretty much every team. I mean if some team comes up with a great offer then sure. But people are underselling what a good shooter who is onlt 24 is worth.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#824 » by ByeByeDre » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:17 am

MotownMadness wrote:
ByeByeDre wrote:
vic wrote:Actual champions leaking intelligence

https://sports.yahoo.com/steve-kerr-discusses-type-player-205555929.html

"You're really trying to dig aren't you (laughter)?" Kerr jokingly answered. "Well, we learned a lot from our own journey over the last five years. You got a guy like Steph Curry -- who has other-worldly skill -- and if there's somebody like that out there, you gotta consider him no matter what.

"If there's nobody with that kind of skill, then you really gotta look at the playoffs and think, 'What's winning? What's winning at the highest level?'
And these days it's not really any secret -- versatility, switchability, guys who can guard multiple positions and stand up to the physicality.

Refreshing to hear championship basketball IQ speaking out. Unless theres otherworldly skill available, you need athletic defenders to win. The final 2 rounds of the playoffs show us that every year. Weaver please take note!

Love Vassell if Okoro is not available. Would love to somehow get both actually

The other thing Kerr has talked about in the past is wingspan - at one time, his Warriors has the best wingspan/height ratio on the league.

Which reminds me of Jay Bilas when Pistons drafted Luke.....

“Kennard is 6’6” with a 6’4” wingspan....... wait, how’s that even possible?!?!?”

I think Herro is 6'6 with a 6'3 wingspan

Worst in the league........ Svi
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#825 » by Pharaoh » Fri Oct 9, 2020 7:45 am

The_Irony wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Considering the picks Boston and Philly have in this Draft I'm willing to move Luke for a package of picks and a small salary transfer.

We help one of those teams add a shooter and lighten their tax concerns.

Youth is king or should be for us

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#826 » by flow » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:31 pm

rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#827 » by rmfc » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:41 pm

Looks like Pistons and the Suns are the only ones making weird picks. The mock draft guy knows us too well.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#828 » by MotownMadness » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:09 pm

If we really pass on Hayes like that I'm gonna be pissed
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,047

Post#829 » by vic » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:35 pm

The warriors are not going to let Wiseman past them looking at Anthony Davis win the next 3 championships while Steph is still healthy. Everybody talks smallBall but the Warriors have always had a big to beat other centers. Bogut McGee Cousins they’re not going to be left without a talented Big. Wiseman is 2, Ball/Edwards is 3.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#830 » by Crymson » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:44 pm

Pharaoh wrote:]No it doesn't become me tbh

Agreed. You seem like a nice guy.

The facts I referred to are his ratio, his FG% being high due to shots at the rim and his 3% being just as bad as Edwards and Ball (if memory serves all 3 are pretty poor).

His percentage at the rim comes largely thanks to two factors: his teammates, and his far, far greater athleticism than the vast majority of NCAA opposition.

As stated I'm willing to entertain the idea that Okoro doesn't improve offensively and ends up being a role player - that seems to be where you sit with him.

Not sure why you're unwilling to entertain the idea that a 19 year old Okoro couldn't improve offensively to the point he's a strong #2, #3 or #4 option on a good team.

Don't get me wrong: I like Okoro. For all I've said about the old style no longer working, I'm nonetheless strongly predisposed toward hardworking, team-first players; I grew up watching the Going to Work Pistons and the likes of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg, skilled players who always worked hard and never played for themselves. That's one reason why I could not stand the likes of Drummond and (in his first two seasons) Jackson. The period during which those two were the foundational pillars of the roster was an insult to the ethos of the great teams that came before them. I'd love to see another Pistons squad that plays gritty, team basketball. The difference between the present day and the days of the past championship teams, however, is that success must now primarily be found offensively. A very old Scotty Bowman maxim comes to mind: you can teach scorers to grind, but you can't teach grinders to score. That's not to say that players can't improve, but the necessary talent simply must be there. The culture can come next.

I'd love a future in which Okoro were one of the pillars of a successful team, and he could be pretty darned good if he were to succeed as a shooter. But (figuratively speaking) I don't think my psyche could handle the Pistons failing another pick on yet another bad shooter. And I don't think they can afford to take the risk of drafting one. I'd feel differently if the Pistons already had some pieces in place, particularly a promising primary handler (Okoro may never be an adept handler at the NBA level). But they don't have those. Or perhaps if a long rebuild were certainly in the cards. But I'm not so sure that's the case.

I think it's likely to be a moot point; I'm 90% confident that Okoro will be #1 on Cleveland's draft board when the fifth pick is called, though admittedly that organization is rather unpredictable (thanks to limited competence).

One thing that hasn't been taken into account when comparing offensive numbers is the low usage rate for Okoro.

Seems he was more of a glue guy to start the college season but as it progressed his role expanded to include more iso, more handling, more playmaking and shooting attempts.

He took on a larger load, and improved, as the season went on. But he never developed the capacity to take over games on offense. He faced opposition drastically easier than he'll see in the NBA, and with a far greater athletic advantage than he'll enjoy in the big league.

Anyway we seem to have discussed Okoro for days, might be time to dive deep on Hayes or Vassell or Okongwu.

I've done a lot of research on all of them.

To sum up: Hayes has all-around talent, but lacks elite-level athleticism and suffers from a bizarre brand of left-hand dominance that will forever hobble him in the NBA if he does not resolve it; Vassell is a prototypical athletic three-and-D wing with a sweet shot and a skill set that will very likely transfer well to the NBA, but has a limited ability to create offense and must add substantial strength in order to maintain upward switchability on defense in the NBA; Okongwu is a strong, athletic center with high defensive upside and good ability as a basic interior scorer, but lacks the ability to create offense at the NBA level, cannot shoot, has no pedigree at all as a shooter, and may never develop beyond a traditional center. I would be happiest with Hayes. I don't think Vassell is good enough at #7 for a roster that doesn't have any of its primary handlers for the future. I see no merit at all in the Pistons drafting Okongwu; I do not think the Pistons have any business drafting a center right now, and certainly not a traditional center.

I could point you toward a podcast that did an extensive preview on all of the top-tier talent, if you'd like.
vic
Veteran

Post#831 » by vic » Fri Oct 9, 2020 5:47 pm

2019. 1. 15 Sekou Doumbouya
2018 2 38 Khyri Thomas
2018 2 42 Bruce Brown
2017 1 12 Luke Kennard
2016 1 18 Henry Ellenson
2016 2 49 Michael Gbinije
2015 1 8 Stanley Johnson
2015 2 38 Darrun Hilliard
2014 2 38 Spencer Dinwiddie
2013 1 8 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

If you look at the actual draft history you'll see we've actually drafted quite a few so-called sweet shooters that aren't strong enough to see the floor. This idea that we waste so many draft picks on defense only players is simply untrue.

2 way guys have had the most success long term. We lost out on them because Middleton was injured, Dinwiddie was injured, and KCP wanted too much money for his role.

I think a lot of Piston fans are still hurt over Stanley Johnson's development being destroyed by SVG and losing out on Devin Booker.

From that point on SVG overreacted and ended up missing on Donovan Mitchell (freshman 3pt% 25%, even worse than Okoro) who is a 2-way player that ended up better than both Luke Kennard AND Devin Booker.

This is the same overreaction that Joe Dumars had which led to his demise when he spent all that money on one-way "shooters" Ben Gordon and Charle V.

If you look at Casey's development history, he way better at developing the skills of his 2-way athletes so when you see Bruce Brown's 3pt% increase you know Casey's going to get more out of his guys than SVG did.

Weaver likes to draft athletes, and Casey likes to develop them.

SVG days are over!
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
vic
Veteran

Post#832 » by vic » Fri Oct 9, 2020 6:03 pm

Excellent writeup on how athletic wings make playmaking easy and open up the court for everybody else:

Detroit Pistons’ lack of athletic wings have been major issue for a decade, and it needs to change

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2020/9/14/21434147/detroit-pistons-wing-nba-draft-sekou-doumbouya-carmelo-anthony-joe-dumars
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#833 » by Crymson » Fri Oct 9, 2020 6:44 pm

vic wrote:Excellent writeup on how athletic wings make playmaking easy and open up the court for everybody else:

No offense, but you're missing an integral quality of that otherwise accurate narrative: the two-way moniker refers, and this goes without saying these days, to athletic wings who can shoot. And preferably those who can create offense as well as shoot. Two-way refers to success on both ends, and (with exceedingly rare exceptions) no wing qualifies qualifies as such who cannot shoot. No wing who cannot shoot is likely to play an integral role on any successful team.

Go out there and look for athletic, defensive wings who cannot shoot and yet excel in the NBA. You won't find any. The likes of Derrick Jones Jr. play small minutes in the regular season and fall outside the rotation in the playoffs. Every single player outside of center who has played at a high level in these playoffs has shot at least an acceptable percentage from three. Every single one. Every single player outside of center who has seen significant time in these Finals can shoot. Any player outside of center who cannot shoot is a drag on his offense, and offense is key. Inability to shoot has become a marked weakness even for centers, if certainly less so than for players at any other positions.

Two-way athletic wings are, indeed, the most important sector of depth in today's league. But in order to be effective on offense, that most important contribution toward wins, those players must possess that most mandatory of offensive skills: the ability to reliably space the floor.
vic
Veteran

Post#834 » by vic » Fri Oct 9, 2020 8:46 pm

Luka Doncic 3pt% - 32%

Jimmy Butler 3pt% - 24%
Jimmy Butler just won a game in the finals without shooting 1 3 pointer.

Donovan Mitchell freshman 3pt% - 24%
Donovan Mitchell sophomore 3pt% - 35%

Bruce Brown 1st year 3pt% - 26%
Bruce Brown 2nd year 3pt% - 34%

This idea that only 40% 3 point shooters can help you win games is nonsense.

The Lakers are a BOTTOM 10 3point shooting team but they are most likely winning a championship tonight. https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-point-pct

The Eastern conference champions best player has a 3point percentage of 24%!

Playmaking is more than shooting 3s. Luka doesn’t even make 1/3rd of his 3s but he shoots them so much he spaces the floor and drives and is able to make plays with his IQ.

This idea that athletic players can’t improve their 3point shot over the years is nonsense.

How many players have improved their shot under Casey because he gives them the green light in the right spots, unlike Panic Master SVG?

I sure hope Weaver & Casey are paying more attention to the actual game winning, high IQ players and game winning teams than these false media narratives.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#835 » by Invictus88 » Fri Oct 9, 2020 8:54 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
The_Irony wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:This. There's just so many glaring flaws at the top of this draft. The fact that there's no real consensus after #1 (and even he has faults) is pretty telling.

Considering the picks Boston and Philly have in this Draft I'm willing to move Luke for a package of picks and a small salary transfer.

We help one of those teams add a shooter and lighten their tax concerns.

Youth is king or should be for us

Luke Kennard is 24. If we trade him next year we'd be doing it for a pick in the 2021 draft or a young prospect. If we keep him then... he's 24. Trying to stay young is not a logical justification for wanting to move him now for less value.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#836 » by ByeByeDre » Fri Oct 9, 2020 11:06 pm

So we draft the 15th ranked player with the 7th pick? Sounds very Piston like.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#837 » by The_Irony » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:10 am

After the first 3/4 picks everyone is just guessing.

I spent time last night looking up 2016-2019 mock drafts from the same people we look at for this years draft.

The henry ellenson takes were so wrong
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#838 » by chrbal » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:18 am

The_Irony wrote:After the first 3/4 picks everyone is just guessing.

I spent time last night looking up 2016-2019 mock drafts from the same people we look at for this years draft.

The henry ellenson takes were so wrong

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2463840-2015-nba-mock-draft-post-lottery-projections-for-all-30-1st-round-picks.amp.html

8. Detroit Pistons: Mario Hezonja, Croatia, 6'8", SG/SF, 1995

Read the write up, these are always guessing games at the time.

A different website
Stanley Johnson
SF – Seems like a sure thing. Doesn’t have the highest ceiling but is a likely All Star.

Why I have trust issues with projections and mock drafts.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#839 » by Pharaoh » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:32 am

Crymson wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:]No it doesn't become me tbh

Agreed. You seem like a nice guy.

The facts I referred to are his ratio, his FG% being high due to shots at the rim and his 3% being just as bad as Edwards and Ball (if memory serves all 3 are pretty poor).

His percentage at the rim comes largely thanks to two factors: his teammates, and his far, far greater athleticism than the vast majority of NCAA opposition.

As stated I'm willing to entertain the idea that Okoro doesn't improve offensively and ends up being a role player - that seems to be where you sit with him.

Not sure why you're unwilling to entertain the idea that a 19 year old Okoro couldn't improve offensively to the point he's a strong #2, #3 or #4 option on a good team.

Don't get me wrong: I like Okoro. For all I've said about the old style no longer working, I'm nonetheless strongly predisposed toward hardworking, team-first players; I grew up watching the Going to Work Pistons and the likes of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg, skilled players who always worked hard and never played for themselves. That's one reason why I could not stand the likes of Drummond and (in his first two seasons) Jackson. The period during which those two were the foundational pillars of the roster was an insult to the ethos of the great teams that came before them. I'd love to see another Pistons squad that plays gritty, team basketball. The difference between the present day and the days of the past championship teams, however, is that success must now primarily be found offensively. A very old Scotty Bowman maxim comes to mind: you can teach scorers to grind, but you can't teach grinders to score. That's not to say that players can't improve, but the necessary talent simply must be there. The culture can come next.

I'd love a future in which Okoro were one of the pillars of a successful team, and he could be pretty darned good if he were to succeed as a shooter. But (figuratively speaking) I don't think my psyche could handle the Pistons failing another pick on yet another bad shooter. And I don't think they can afford to take the risk of drafting one. I'd feel differently if the Pistons already had some pieces in place, particularly a promising primary handler (Okoro may never be an adept handler at the NBA level). But they don't have those. Or perhaps if a long rebuild were certainly in the cards. But I'm not so sure that's the case.

I think it's likely to be a moot point; I'm 90% confident that Okoro will be #1 on Cleveland's draft board when the fifth pick is called, though admittedly that organization is rather unpredictable (thanks to limited competence).

One thing that hasn't been taken into account when comparing offensive numbers is the low usage rate for Okoro.

Seems he was more of a glue guy to start the college season but as it progressed his role expanded to include more iso, more handling, more playmaking and shooting attempts.

He took on a larger load, and improved, as the season went on. But he never developed the capacity to take over games on offense. He faced opposition drastically easier than he'll see in the NBA, and with a far greater athletic advantage than he'll enjoy in the big league.

Anyway we seem to have discussed Okoro for days, might be time to dive deep on Hayes or Vassell or Okongwu.

I've done a lot of research on all of them.

To sum up: Hayes has all-around talent, but lacks elite-level athleticism and suffers from a bizarre brand of left-hand dominance that will forever hobble him in the NBA if he does not resolve it; Vassell is a prototypical athletic three-and-D wing with a sweet shot and a skill set that will very likely transfer well to the NBA, but has a limited ability to create offense and must add substantial strength in order to maintain upward switchability on defense in the NBA; Okongwu is a strong, athletic center with high defensive upside and good ability as a basic interior scorer, but lacks the ability to create offense at the NBA level, cannot shoot, has no pedigree at all as a shooter, and may never develop beyond a traditional center. I would be happiest with Hayes. I don't think Vassell is good enough at #7 for a roster that doesn't have any of its primary handlers for the future. I see no merit at all in the Pistons drafting Okongwu; I do not think the Pistons have any business drafting a center right now, and certainly not a traditional center.

I could point you toward a podcast that did an extensive preview on all of the top-tier talent, if you'd like.
Absolutely share that podcast dude! Please.

Appreciate you explaining your view in more depth. I do understand your points.

AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#840 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:34 am

Hey guys, what do you think: 2020 #2 + Paschall for Derrick Rose + Luke Kennard + 2020 #7?

Return to Detroit Pistons