ImageImageImage

Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#861 » by jakebernat » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:21 pm

I really like avdija in this draft too. if he falls to us, I think we gotta pull the trigger. I see shades of Gordon Hayward in his game.

I’m really liking the luke at PG experiment too. He needs to have the ball as much as possible. He’s our best perimeter player. I would not at all be surprised to see him put up 20+ PPG next year.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#862 » by BJK1 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:22 pm

DBC10 wrote:
BJK1 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Hampton working with Penny and Miller for such a long period of time is interesting.

So are the other 4. I've actually seem a view vids on Flynn.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, Hampton is a player I’ve looked into more since it came out that he’s already interviewed with Weaver.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2020/09/08/detroit-pistons-nba-draft-rj-hampton/5731763002/

He was already the most athletic, explosive guard in the draft. Pair that with improved and consistent shooting mechanics and a great work ethic and we’re talking about a guy with big time upside.

Would Hampton be a reach at 7 though? He's project to go in the preteens-teens right?

Good question. Not sure if he’s a reach or not at #7. I would have said yes a month ago, but now maybe not. Coincidentally, check out the latest mock draft from Omari Sankofa of the DFP, who I think is pretty dialed into the Pistons and the NBA in general.

https://www.freep.com/picture-gallery/sports/nba/pistons/2020/10/11/detroit-pistons-nba-mock-draft-2020/5954033002/

Spoiler Alert: He has the Pistons taking Killian Hayes at #7, his blurb on Hampton and the spot he has him getting selected at is definitely interesting.

Certainly not the same situation, but it’s now well known that Weaver drove the decision by OKC to “reach” for an incredibly athletic guard in Russell Westbrook at #4 when he was projected to go mid 1st by many.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#863 » by vic » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:37 pm

Okc had 3 MVPs and won no championships I would hope Weaver is a little smarter than he was back then about team building. This is the Pistons... drafting a star is not the end goal - winning a championship is.

I still dont see any exciting athletic point guards leading their teams to the final 4 of the NBA without multiple 2-way elite wings on the team making it happen for them.

Just my opinion the Pistons have much more important needs than a point guard. Let Luke play pg and get a 2/3 that you can envision competing in the finals.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,610

Post#864 » by Snakebites » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:03 pm

vic wrote:Okc had 3 MVPs and won no championships I would hope Weaver is a little smarter than he was back then about team building. This is the Pistons... drafting a star is not the end goal - winning a championship is.

I still dont see any exciting athletic point guards leading their teams to the final 4 of the NBA without multiple 2-way elite wings on the team making it happen for them.

Just my opinion the Pistons have much more important needs than a point guard. Let Luke play pg and get a 2/3 that you can envision competing in the finals.

You know Weaver wasn't the general manager, right?

And yes, drafting a star is the goal for a team with no stars and no clear direction.

The Thunder put themselves in a great position to win multiple titles by landing the talent they did in the draft. That they failed to make the right financial and personnel decisions after that is a separate thing.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#865 » by vic » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:19 pm

Okc had 3 MVPs and won no championships I would hope Weaver is a little smarter than he was back then about team building. This is the Pistons... drafting a star is not the end goal - winning a championship is.

You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#866 » by mattao313 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:58 pm

Who cares about a championship right now we literally have no high end talent besides Blake and he can't stay healthy. Let's collect some good players, then win some playoff games first.

People always say it's a certain blue print it's not, you just need talent and build a team around that talent.
Championships
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#867 » by Manocad » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:10 am

TPA wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
dVs33 wrote:Good for Detroit, but why would gs do that?
Snell fits into their TPE and is 3&D win now vet that's also expiring.

Dropping from 2 to 7 saves them some tax coin and they might not view the top 3 prospects as all that much better than the next 4-8 anyway.

It's a highly unlikely deal but it's "fairer" than #7 & Luke for #2

NotACat had to be sarcastic with that post. No way Snell and 7 nets the second pick in this draft. Might be a "fairer" deal for Detroit, but no way GS goes for that. #7 & Luke for #2 is more realistic for both sides if anything.

In a draft with a Michael Jordan or a Lebron, sure. In this draft? No. That's basically trading a player you don't need to trade because he could still play a role with this team--or any team, really--for a slightly better draft pick. There isn't a projected superstar in this draft, thus moving up to 2 from 7 doesn't seem to serve much purpose, at least not for the Pistons at the expense of Luke.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#868 » by ByeByeDre » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:05 am

vic wrote:Just my opinion the Pistons have much more important needs than a point guard. Let Luke play pg and get a 2/3 that you can envision competing in the finals.

First sentence: totally agreed

Second sentence: I’m all for getting a wing, but Luke at PG...... then again, that would get us a lot of ping pong balls........ winner!
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#869 » by SamFlow » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:38 am

ByeByeDre wrote:
vic wrote:Just my opinion the Pistons have much more important needs than a point guard. Let Luke play pg and get a 2/3 that you can envision competing in the finals.

First sentence: totally agreed

Second sentence: I’m all for getting a wing, but Luke at PG...... then again, that would get us a lot of ping pong balls........ winner!

We can get a pg later. Although I see Lamelo as a sf.

Malachi flynn at pg
Tyrell Terry at pg
Cassius Stanley at pg (some reason he reminds me of paul pierce)

At sf, Devin Vassell is my pick. Defense and shooting. getting better. And get another first and get a pg.
BigDaddyJungle
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#870 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:10 am

According to most Mocks Flynn is going early 2nd round so it would be nice to grab a late first and get him.

At #7 it's Vassell if Okoro & Hayes aren't there for the taking.

Wood - Patton
Blake
Sekou - Svi - Snell - King
Luke - Vassell - Thomas
Brown - Rose - Flynn - Bone

Sign Giles and hope he turns it around.

Spend the season looking to deal Snell, Rose and Luke for prospects and/or picks in the 2021 Draft

TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#871 » by TPA » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:40 am

Manocad wrote:
TPA wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Snell fits into their TPE and is 3&D win now vet that's also expiring.

Dropping from 2 to 7 saves them some tax coin and they might not view the top 3 prospects as all that much better than the next 4-8 anyway.

It's a highly unlikely deal but it's "fairer" than #7 & Luke for #2

NotACat had to be sarcastic with that post. No way Snell and 7 nets the second pick in this draft. Might be a "fairer" deal for Detroit, but no way GS goes for that. #7 & Luke for #2 is more realistic for both sides if anything.

In a draft with a Michael Jordan or a Lebron, sure. In this draft? No. That's basically trading a player you don't need to trade because he could still play a role with this team--or any team, really--for a slightly better draft pick. There isn't a projected superstar in this draft, thus moving up to 2 from 7 doesn't seem to serve much purpose, at least not for the Pistons at the expense of Luke.

I said that #7 and Kennard was a more realistic trade for GS to accept for their #2 pick, vs the #7 and Snell proposition. I never said it was a trade that Detroit SHOULD make (Though I certainly would if I were Weaver).
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#872 » by SamFlow » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:18 am

Pharaoh wrote:According to most Mocks Flynn is going early 2nd round so it would be nice to grab a late first and get him.

Wood - Patton
Blake
Luke - Vassell - Thomas

Spend the season looking to deal Snell, Rose and Luke for prospects and/or picks in the 2021 Draft

I'd be putting Vassell at sf for us. Although it's be cool to have his height and length at sg.
BigDaddyJungle
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#873 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:19 am

SamFlow wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:According to most Mocks Flynn is going early 2nd round so it would be nice to grab a late first and get him.

Wood - Patton
Blake
Luke - Vassell - Thomas

I'd be putting Vassell at sf for us. Although it's be cool to have his height and length at sg.
Vassell lacks the weight and strength right now to play the 3 full time IMO

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#874 » by Manocad » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:03 am

TPA wrote:
Manocad wrote:
TPA wrote:NotACat had to be sarcastic with that post. No way Snell and 7 nets the second pick in this draft. Might be a "fairer" deal for Detroit, but no way GS goes for that. #7 & Luke for #2 is more realistic for both sides if anything.

I said that #7 and Kennard was a more realistic trade for GS to accept for their #2 pick, vs the #7 and Snell proposition. I never said it was a trade that Detroit SHOULD make (Though I certainly would if I were Weaver).

I only used Detroit as the example. Substitute Kennard for any other similar player on any other team with the #7 pick. A player who could still be a very serviceable bench scorer and maybe even a starter is too much to give up to move from 7 to 2 in THIS draft. Like I said, if the draft had a Lebron and a Jordan projected at 1 and 2 and 3-10 were all guys a tier down that could go in any order depending on team needs, sure. But in this draft, no. It's the equivalent of trading a known pretty good player and a pick that may or may not turn into something for a pick that may or may not turn into something. I think 7 plus an expiring for 2 is actually pretty equivalent IMO.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#875 » by rmfc » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:33 pm

Unless it's for Anthony Edwards, trading up should not be an option for the Pistons.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#876 » by rmfc » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:35 pm

I think the only dilemma for the Pistons is whom to choose if Hayes (and, obviously, Edwards) is already gone by #7. Should the pick be Haliburton or Vassell?
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,030

Post#877 » by NYPiston » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:22 pm

Manocad wrote:
TPA wrote:
Manocad wrote:In a draft with a Michael Jordan or a Lebron, sure. In this draft? No. That's basically trading a player you don't need to trade because he could still play a role with this team--or any team, really--for a slightly better draft pick. There isn't a projected superstar in this draft, thus moving up to 2 from 7 doesn't seem to serve much purpose, at least not for the Pistons at the expense of Luke.

I only used Detroit as the example. Substitute Kennard for any other similar player on any other team with the #7 pick. A player who could still be a very serviceable bench scorer and maybe even a starter is too much to give up to move from 7 to 2 in THIS draft. Like I said, if the draft had a Lebron and a Jordan projected at 1 and 2 and 3-10 were all guys a tier down that could go in any order depending on team needs, sure. But in this draft, no. It's the equivalent of trading a known pretty good player and a pick that may or may not turn into something for a pick that may or may not turn into something. I think 7 plus an expiring for 2 is actually pretty equivalent IMO.

If there was a Lebron/Jordan level prospect at the top of this draft, that pick would be untouchable. Kennard+7th would be laughed off by that GM.

In any event, I wouldn't trade Kennard+7th for #2 either. This is a draft where the best player could easily come from outside the top 5 and I think Kennard is becoming a bit underrated here. My biggest worry with him is injuries but before he got injured, he was really starting to come into his own as more than just a spot up shooter. He has underrated playmaking skills and ability to create his own shot. I'd be wary of overpaying him due to his injury history but he's not a player that I'd just give away either. He's still young enough to be a key player of this core going forward. Now if somebody wanted to offer a top 10 pick (like the Phoenix rumors last year) then I'd consider that but I wouldn't use him as an add on to move up 5 spots in this draft.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#878 » by Billl » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:08 pm

Kennard is a great shooter. And a pretty solid playmaker with good instincts. His injuries are a big red flag. Possibly more importantly, the league is currently being dominated by dynamic 2-way wing players with great athleticism. Kennard isn't a horrible defender, but he just can't hang with those guys. He can still play an important role, but that really limits him in terms of being a foundational guy.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#879 » by BJK1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:58 pm

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#880 » by MotownMadness » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:31 pm

Lots of Okoro mocked to Detroit lately. I think the Stanley Johnson experience is what scares me as well in the back of my mind like the article states.

Okoro does have a decent looking jumper though so maybe he gets better.

Return to Detroit Pistons