ImageImageImage

Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,675

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#921 » by Invictus88 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:38 pm

rmfc wrote:This again? Was Anthony Davis worth trading up (not comparing AD's potential at draft time vs Anthony Davis' potential here because there was no one even remotely as good as him in this class)? Everyone would say yes to that question. Did he lead the Pels to a championship? .

Come on.

Anthony Davis before the draft was a virtual lock to be a core foundational piece for whatever franchise that decided to draft him. Shockingly he turned out exactly as everyone thought he would....

Nobody in this draft class is even on the same planet w/regards to that level of certainty about their future pre-draft.

I mean, you can be pedantic and try to debate the exact wording of everything said on this board. (I feel so, so sorry for you if you do) or you can stop wasting everyone's time and make a reasonable attempt at inferring meaning of the posters around you. The messaging here isn't hard to comprehend.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#922 » by Crymson » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:00 pm

Pharaoh wrote:People keep saying this Draft is weak when the more clips I watch it seems it's full of young, flawed but full of potential guys.

The draft is weak in high-end talent, not overall talent.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#923 » by rmfc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:39 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
rmfc wrote:This again? Was Anthony Davis worth trading up (not comparing AD's potential at draft time vs Anthony Davis' potential here because there was no one even remotely as good as him in this class)? Everyone would say yes to that question. Did he lead the Pels to a championship? .

Come on.

Anthony Davis before the draft was a virtual lock to be a core foundational piece for whatever franchise that decided to draft him. Shockingly he turned out exactly as everyone thought he would....

Nobody in this draft class is even on the same planet w/regards to that level of certainty about their future pre-draft.

I mean, you can be pedantic and try to debate the exact wording of everything said on this board. (I feel so, so sorry for you if you do) or you can stop wasting everyone's time and make a reasonable attempt at inferring meaning of the posters around you. The messaging here isn't hard to comprehend.

Agreed. This is a meaningless conversation.
DarkSyde
Junior
And1: 115

Post#924 » by DarkSyde » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:00 am

BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#925 » by BJK1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:21 am

DarkSyde wrote:Mock Draft has the Pistons taking F Onyeka Okongwu.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2020-nba-mock-draft-50-la-melo-moves-to-no-1-132728170.html

Wouldn’t shock me. This team literally needs help everywhere.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#926 » by Crymson » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:51 am

Pharaoh wrote:Absolutely share that podcast dude! Please.

Late on this one, but here you go: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/driving-to-the-basket-a-detroit-pistons-podcast/id1458303230. It's on Spotify and Google Play also.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#927 » by Pharaoh » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:45 am

BJK1 wrote:

https://sports.yahoo.com/2020-nba-mock-draft-50-la-melo-moves-to-no-1-132728170.html

I'm not against Okongwu but he's no Bam.

Then again Bam wasn't Bam on Draft Day or as a rookie either so

Okongwu behind Wood and Blake wouldn't be a bad thing considering I've got reservations on all "my guys":

Okoro = shooting weakness

Hayes = favours his left way too much

Vassell = needs to work on his body before he's a legit 3 in today's league.

Okongwu at worst seems like a Capela type and bigs are easier to keep within their skillset IMO

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#928 » by Pharaoh » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:45 am

Crymson wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Absolutely share that podcast dude! Please.

Late on this one, but here you go: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/driving-to-the-basket-a-detroit-pistons-podcast/id1458303230. It's on Spotify and Google Play also.
Appreciate it! I'll check it out after work

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#929 » by DBC10 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:27 pm

BJK1 wrote:

This is the correct answer. We legitimately might not have any true starters going forward with any of our young talent right now. Even if they pan out somewhat.

Overall, I think it makes sense to shy away from bigmen if we're on the clock, especially if they don't show any great skillet either offensively or defensively. It's a guard-forward league
rmfc
Assistant Coach

Post#930 » by rmfc » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:42 pm

DBC10 wrote:We legitimately might not have any true starters going forward with any of our young talent right now. Even if they pan out somewhat.

This is true, especially, if the Pistons choose to not pay/overpay and keep Christian Wood.

DBC10 wrote:Overall, I think it makes sense to shy away from bigmen if we're on the clock, especially if they don't show any great skillet either offensively or defensively. It's a guard-forward league

Agree completely.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#931 » by Crymson » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:15 pm

The vast majority of mocks are poorly done. The author of this one couldn't be bothered to write any analysis.

I strongly doubt that Detroit's first step in the rebuild would be drafting another traditional center.

DBC10 wrote:This is the correct answer. We legitimately might not have any true starters going forward with any of our young talent right now. Even if they pan out somewhat.

Overall, I think it makes sense to shy away from bigmen if we're on the clock, especially if they don't show any great skillet either offensively or defensively. It's a guard-forward league

Needs everywhere or otherwise, this team's greatest need by far is capable offensive creators. Okongwu ain't that.

I'd be surprised if he's were before Washington is on the clock.
BJK1
Senior

Post#932 » by BJK1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:54 pm

Crymson wrote:

The vast majority of mocks are poorly done. The author of this one couldn't be bothered to write any analysis.

I strongly doubt that Detroit's first step in the rebuild would be drafting another traditional center.

DBC10 wrote:This is the correct answer. We legitimately might not have any true starters going forward with any of our young talent right now. Even if they pan out somewhat.

Needs everywhere or otherwise, this team's greatest need by far is capable offensive creators. Okongwu ain't that.

I'd be surprised if he's were before Washington is on the clock.

I don’t disagree that he wouldn’t be the ideal target for Detroit, given their need for creators. But another big is still a need. Maybe they target one in FA (Noel?), but it wouldn’t shock me if they took Okongwu. That said, I could easily see Okongwu being a trade up target for Boston. He’d be an ideal fit for them.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#933 » by Crymson » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:06 pm

BJK1 wrote:I don’t disagree that he wouldn’t be the ideal target for Detroit, given their need for creators. But another big is still a need.

Another big is not a need. Center is the least important position in the NBA at large and, at the moment, for the Pistons in particular. That goes triple for traditional centers. Okongwu would be a fine pick for a team that already has its core pieces, but the Pistons absolutely do not fit that description.

Maybe they target one in FA (Noel?), but it wouldn’t shock me if they took Okongwu.

Draft strategy during a rebuild will not focus upon addressing immediate needs. There are no immediate roster needs during a rebuild, as winning is not an immediate goal.

That said, I could easily see Okongwu being a trade up target for Boston. He’d be an ideal fit for them.

A traditional big is no longer an ideal fit anywhere. He'd be a decent selection for them, but not if trading up were to cost them anything significant.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#934 » by MotownMadness » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:08 pm

I like Okongwu but dont want to start a rebuild off with a big man after dealing with the whole Drummond saga for so long.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#935 » by Manocad » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:23 pm

rmfc wrote:
Manocad wrote:
rmfc wrote:
So if you are suggesting we potentially overpay and expend those resources we'd better be making significant strides as a franchise as a result.

Not sure what overpay means from your perspective. I wouldn't give up next year's first round pick, Wood, Sekou and Rose - only including Rose in this little list because he may get us more value down the road. Everyone else should be expendable in my opinion. For some, even giving up average players with no real future with the Pistons (unless we overpay for the said average players in terms of a new contract) is "overpay". So, again, it's all about perspective.

It's not clear to me that anyone in this draft year will end up accomplishing that. That's the motivation behind the asking of "How does this lead to a championship?" If the answer isn't clear then you probably shouldn't make that move.

This again? Was Anthony Davis worth trading up (not comparing AD's potential at draft time vs Anthony Davis' potential here because there was no one even remotely as good as him in this class)? Everyone would say yes to that question. Did he lead the Pels to a championship?

It's obvious that so many other things have to fall in place for a team to win a ring. Why would this one move have to lead the team to a championship? All we should be trying to do is get the best player possible using any movable trade assets. For me (and looking at what most analysts are saying), that player Anthony Edwards in this draft. For others, it may be some other player.

It's probably better to just rephrase the "How does this lead to a championship?" question.

Let's try this again...YOU'RE the one who said the Pistons "should do whatever it takes" to get the #2 pick. FINE. Why?

You've admitted that taking Anthony Davis is only a "I like him" move and not part in any way of a grand plan to win a championship other than "He's good."

Cool. That's fine. JUST SAY IT. No biggie. I'm ok with that answer. Just don't berate me for forcing you to answer a question you apparently feel guilty about answering.

Jeez..

Instead of typing the same thing over and over and over again, may be, just spend time on reading the response that was posted several hours ago?

To help you out, I am reposting the response:

#2 can get you Anthony Edwards - the one player that can clearly create offense off the dribble and can score in multiple ways in this draft class. I thought that was obvious for anyone who had been talking about the 2020 draft.

When you use the verbiage “whatever it takes” there’s an expectation that you’ve got a reason why other than “he can create offense off the dribble.” I don’t think there are any “whatever it takes” players in this draft thus I figured you had reasons for Anthony Edwards being a “whatever it takes” kind of player. It appears you don’t other than “he can create offense off the dribble.” I don’t see that as a “The Pistons absolutely must get this guy” thing at this point in the process, hence the question.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#936 » by MotownMadness » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:42 pm

Holy hell why are you guys arguing about literally nothing? If there's a good offer you explore it, if not you dont, My God!!!!!!
BJK1
Senior

Post#937 » by BJK1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:57 pm

Crymson wrote:
BJK1 wrote:I don’t disagree that he wouldn’t be the ideal target for Detroit, given their need for creators. But another big is still a need.

Another big is not a need. Center is the least important position in the NBA at large and, at the moment, for the Pistons in particular. That goes triple for traditional centers. Okongwu would be a fine pick for a team that already has its core pieces, but the Pistons absolutely do not fit that description.

Maybe they target one in FA (Noel?), but it wouldn’t shock me if they took Okongwu.

Draft strategy during a rebuild will not focus upon addressing immediate needs. There are no immediate roster needs during a rebuild, as winning is not an immediate goal.

That said, I could easily see Okongwu being a trade up target for Boston. He’d be an ideal fit for them.

A traditional big is no longer an ideal fit anywhere. He'd be a decent selection for them, but not if trading up were to cost them anything significant.

As you’ve taken the time to literally dissect my post to disagree with every point, I’ll just simply say that we can agree to disagree.

Regardless of how devalued the “traditional” center position has become, there’s clearly a reason that literally every single draft analyst/pundit out there projects Okongwu as a lottery pick.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#938 » by mattao313 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:59 pm

Not my first choice but I'd be fine with Okongwu I think he has more skills and use than some are giving him credit for.

Most likely he can switch on perimeter players but still play big to be able to take advantage of smaller defenders. He's also a good ft shooter so he may be able to extend his range.
Championships
BJK1
Senior

Post#939 » by BJK1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:07 pm

mattao313 wrote:Not my first choice but I'd be fine with Okongwu I think he has more skills and use than some are giving him credit for.

Most likely he can switch on perimeter players but still play big to be able to take advantage of smaller defenders. He's also a good ft shooter so he may be able to extend his range.

My stance has been that if you’re the Pistons, you take best player period regardless of position. The Pistons right now don’t have a single position that can’t be upgraded. Literally every position for the Pistons is a position of need. So if they’re at 7 and Okongwu is their highest rated player available, take him. Or if that’s Killian Hayes, take him. Or Pat Williams. Stay true to your board and talent evaluation. If you get your pick right, then that player becomes part of your young core. If it’s a true rebuild, you seek talent first.
rmfc
Assistant Coach

Post#940 » by rmfc » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:17 pm

Manocad wrote:
rmfc wrote:
Manocad wrote:Let's try this again...YOU'RE the one who said the Pistons "should do whatever it takes" to get the #2 pick. FINE. Why?

You've admitted that taking Anthony Davis is only a "I like him" move and not part in any way of a grand plan to win a championship other than "He's good."

Cool. That's fine. JUST SAY IT. No biggie. I'm ok with that answer. Just don't berate me for forcing you to answer a question you apparently feel guilty about answering.

Jeez..

Instead of typing the same thing over and over and over again, may be, just spend time on reading the response that was posted several hours ago?

To help you out, I am reposting the response:

#2 can get you Anthony Edwards - the one player that can clearly create offense off the dribble and can score in multiple ways in this draft class. I thought that was obvious for anyone who had been talking about the 2020 draft.

When you use the verbiage “whatever it takes” there’s an expectation that you’ve got a reason why other than “he can create offense off the dribble.” I don’t think there are any “whatever it takes” players in this draft thus I figured you had reasons for Anthony Edwards being a “whatever it takes” kind of player. It appears you don’t other than “he can create offense off the dribble.” I don’t see that as a “The Pistons absolutely must get this guy” thing at this point in the process, hence the question.

It's nice that you typed up ..

When you use the verbiage “whatever it takes” there’s an expectation

and you put in quotes no less....

and, literally, not even once, did I use the quoted "verbiage".

I don’t see that as a “The Pistons absolutely must get this guy” thing at this point in the process, hence the question.

This is absolutely fine. Everyone has their opinion. Who knows? The guy may even end up becoming another Dion Waiters (Yikes!).

My opinion is that Anthony Edwards has the most potential in this draft class and that the Pistons should try their best (obviously, with the team's best interests in mind ... as in, only give up value that makes sense to go up to #2) to draft Anthony Davis. I never posted the Pistons should do "whatever it takes" to get Edwards.

Return to Detroit Pistons