ImageImageImage

Hot and Heavy with the Hawks (Drummond Trade Rumors go National)

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,103

Re: Hot and Heavy with the Hawks (Drummond Trade Rumors go National) 

Post#201 » by NYPiston » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:13 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Surprised Casey was so honest given we're trying to trade Dre

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

It doesn't matter. Teams already know what Drummond is, nothing that can be done or said until February 6th will change that.

The Pistons might need to just bite the bullet and dump his salary for nothing just to change the culture and avoid any potential of him opting in. They aren't getting any value in return for him at this point it looks like.
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#202 » by davidvolumes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:40 pm

I agree with the general consensus of the board that is more than time for Andre to go. I certainly don't want to be stuck next year paying him 28 million dollars. However if we going to be honest about this situation Andre has never been properly coached not by Stan Van Gundy and not by Dwayne Casey. Van Gundy allowed Andre to receive post-ups when his game was nowhere suited for it. And Casey allows this guy to dribble the ball upcourt and to shoot three pointers. So sad
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#203 » by kpt » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:52 pm

Wow what a difference a little over a week makes. From talking about a young player, salary dump, and FRP for Dre. To Salary dump for him. As I have said before, I doubt anything will get done and we all have been checking twitter and realgm way too much for nothing. I guess, it has brought back more activity on here so that is entertaining. Here's to hoping for several trades!
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#204 » by Kilo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:36 pm

davidvolumes wrote:I agree with the general consensus of the board that is more than time for Andre to go. I certainly don't want to be stuck next year paying him 28 million dollars. However if we going to be honest about this situation Andre has never been properly coached not by Stan Van Gundy and not by Dwayne Casey. Van Gundy allowed Andre to receive post-ups when his game was nowhere suited for it. And Casey allows this guy to dribble the ball upcourt and to shoot three pointers. So sad

He's been coddled his whole career here. He's soft serve ice cream and the feeling was you need to kiss his ass or he'd leave as a FA or something. He's a rebound and dunk hustle player who has been allowed to believe he's some skilled unicorn. Because he was apid like one and the hope was he could justify that max contract. Now everybody knows what he is or what he isn't and he's looking at <20M a season while Dre is still in the dream world that he's a max player who can bring the ball up, shoot threes and facilitate of offense.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#205 » by Canadafan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:04 pm

Kilo wrote:
davidvolumes wrote:I agree with the general consensus of the board that is more than time for Andre to go. I certainly don't want to be stuck next year paying him 28 million dollars. However if we going to be honest about this situation Andre has never been properly coached not by Stan Van Gundy and not by Dwayne Casey. Van Gundy allowed Andre to receive post-ups when his game was nowhere suited for it. And Casey allows this guy to dribble the ball upcourt and to shoot three pointers. So sad

He's been coddled his whole career here. He's soft serve ice cream and the feeling was you need to kiss his ass or he'd leave as a FA or something. He's a rebound and dunk hustle player who has been allowed to believe he's some skilled unicorn. Because he was apid like one and the hope was he could justify that max contract. Now everybody knows what he is or what he isn't and he's looking at <20M a season while Dre is still in the dream world that he's a max player who can bring the ball up, shoot threes and facilitate of offense.

Think you meant to say a rebound and lay it up softly type of player :lol:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#206 » by Snakebites » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:33 pm

Kilo wrote:Now everybody knows what he is or what he isn't and he's looking at <20M a season while Dre is still in the dream world that he's a max player who can bring the ball up, shoot threes and facilitate of offense.

I think other teams always knew, and I think both Dre and the Pistons are realizing it now.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#207 » by Kilo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:43 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Kilo wrote:Now everybody knows what he is or what he isn't and he's looking at <20M a season while Dre is still in the dream world that he's a max player who can bring the ball up, shoot threes and facilitate of offense.

I think other teams always knew, and I think both Dre and the Pistons are realizing it now.

Dre just realizing it now, Pistons realized it earlier this season. Ellis reported that Dre asked for a max extension from the Pistons earlier in the year and Pistons countered with something much less.

Dre could get a 7M insurance policy for $100M against major injury and play out next year here. But that would be assuming he's less than $21M a year from somebody. I think he probably gets 90M over four from some team as a UFA.
Weaver = Hinkie
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#208 » by LaSheed » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:53 pm

My prediction is that hes heading to Charlotte.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#209 » by 440BB » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Maybe Andre in all his maturity realized he's not getting anything close to $28M next year from anybody else so he's decided to opt in and is showing us how he will coast and pout over the next season and a half. He looks like he's willing to sabotage our trade options up to the deadline so he doesn't have to move. I don't see him as wanting to win or prove anything enough to go to another team. I'm starting to think we're stuck with him until this time next year.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Kilo
RealGM

Post#210 » by Kilo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:40 pm

440BB wrote:Maybe Andre in all his maturity realized he's not getting anything close to $28M next year from anybody else so he's decided to opt in and is showing us how he will coast and pout over the next season and a half. He looks like he's willing to sabotage our trade options up to the deadline so he doesn't have to move. I don't see him as wanting to win or prove anything enough to go to another team. I'm starting to think we're stuck with him until this time next year.

So completely destroy his free agent value in a years time to stick it to the Pistons now? I mean coast and pout for a year and a half and he's looking at MLE offers.
Weaver = Hinkie
nbakid123
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#211 » by nbakid123 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:44 pm

Getting rid of Drummond now is almost as good as getting rid of him later
subbed sub
Senior
And1: 874

Post#212 » by subbed sub » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:53 pm

440BB wrote:Maybe Andre in all his maturity realized he's not getting anything close to $28M next year from anybody else so he's decided to opt in and is showing us how he will coast and pout over the next season and a half. He looks like he's willing to sabotage our trade options up to the deadline so he doesn't have to move. I don't see him as wanting to win or prove anything enough to go to another team. I'm starting to think we're stuck with him until this time next year.

By all accounts we've been made at least one offer. By the hawks - probably a straight swap for Parsons. If there's 20 minutes to go in the trade window and we have no better offers we just phone up ATL and give it the green light.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#213 » by Manocad » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:19 pm

I absolutely would trade Drummond for no positive return (draft pick or young player you’d want to keep) at this point rather than pay him $28M and still have him on the roster. As I posted previously, let’s say the BEST potential return for Drummond was a first round pick—how big a deal is that in the grand scheme when the Pistons are only a few players into a rebuild?
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#214 » by 440BB » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:59 pm

Kilo wrote:

So completely destroy his free agent value in a years time to stick it to the Pistons now? I mean coast and pout for a year and a half and he's looking at MLE offers.

That's why I posted "in all his maturity". With his career long tendency to pout and take his time getting back on defense when things aren't going his way, it would not surprise me. I do expect him to play hard for a string of games when he's approaching free agency. Can't count on him from one game to the next otherwise.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#215 » by DBC10 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:39 pm

Manocad wrote:I absolutely would trade Drummond for no positive return (draft pick or young player you’d want to keep) at this point rather than pay him $28M and still have him on the roster. As I posted previously, let’s say the BEST potential return for Drummond was a first round pick—how big a deal is that in the grand scheme when the Pistons are only a few players into a rebuild?

Yep. If someone coughs up a pick then you take that and run. There’s zero reasoning at this point not to take it other than blind homerism in his supposed value. I’d rather not do this rodeo again if he does opt in for next year and his cap hold goes up. It’s already hard to find teams to match salaries now to trade with, how’s it going to get easier?

Free up his cap hold and take on another bad contract next year for another pick and or young talent from a desperate team trying to make mid season roster moves. That’s basically what the grizzlies did the last two years
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#216 » by Snakebites » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:20 am

Manocad wrote:I absolutely would trade Drummond for no positive return (draft pick or young player you’d want to keep) at this point rather than pay him $28M and still have him on the roster. As I posted previously, let’s say the BEST potential return for Drummond was a first round pick—how big a deal is that in the grand scheme when the Pistons are only a few players into a rebuild?

I wasn't on board back when I thought he was opting out for sure.

If he's opting in and they're looking to make a clean break I could definitely see this happening. It's possible they're even internally willing to do this, they just don't want that out there in hopes of squeezing out some sort of asset from the deal.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#217 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:56 am

Drummond very well could be a 3rd piece on a championship team. We just don’t have 1 or 2 yet. I honestly dont mind if he opts in. He’s an expiring next year worst case.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#218 » by DetroitSho » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Against my better judgment I'm going to chime in on the this. And I say against my better judgment because I'm in the minority around here about Drummond. But fugg it, I'm off work. I got time today.

Let me preface this by saying yes Andre Drummond needs to be traded. If for no other reason than y'all finally letting the dead horse of "Drummond sucks" actually die ffs. I'm going to attempt to convey what DetroitPistons (I think it was him) was trying to say but went just a little too far.

Can somebody please tell me how Drummond has reached Josh Smiff levels of hate at this point? If you feel that he needs to be traded because it would start the rebuild and finally open the way to the next chapter, then ok. I can go with that. But if you want to trade Dre because he sucks, you're an idiot.

Dre doesn't suck. His biggest sin is he's not good enough to be a superstar, period, point blank. That's not ONLY a Dre problem, it's a Piston fans problem too because our expectations of what we think/thought he could be were not met. But it goes deeper than that. There's currently one player on this whole roster that has the potential to be better than Dre's best. So if Dre sucks, what does that say for the team he's had around him his whole career? It was said in another thread (maybe even earlier in this thread) that Dre playing at his best every night would make us a 50+ win team yearly. That. Just. Ain't. True.

By all accounts Dre has never been a dikkk to his teammates or the fans. Hasn't talked down on the city, does a good amount of charity and community service work. He's never gotten in trouble here. Is there really a reason to root for his demise like Josh Smiff who literally destroyed this team every minute he was on the court. With Dre you can at least say man if he does abc, and stays away from doing xyz on the court then he would be a huge asset to us. With Smiff, literally the only way he could help us on the court is being OFF of it.

He's not a superstar, but he's still a really good player if PLACED AROUND OTHER ABOVE AVERAGE TALENT. His whole career he's been on a roster with at most only 2 other above average players at a time. He's not good enough to be the best player on a title team. He's not good enough to drag 12 below average players to the playoffs. Neither is Bradley Beal but this board has a woody at the prospect of getting him for some reason. Nobody questions why he's not dragging bums to the playoffs.

So yes, trade Dre if we get a good offer because at this point we need to switch it up. I tend to believe having more than half of your salary cap (in Blake, Jackson and Smiff) giving you absolutely ZERO is a bigger detriment to this team than Dre. Just imagine if this team had $60 million in cap space this summer and how quickly they could turn things around. So I said all that to say if you somehow take joy in the fact that Dre might not get a max contract or that teams may not want to give up alot assets for his potential rental, you're weird bro. Seriously weird. That's where it's getting to the Josh Smiff levels where it's no acknowledgement for anything positive on Dre's end but any mistake he makes he's damned to hell or anything that may be a negative on his behalf is celebrated.

I can't wait until we finally trade him and then give Wood that 3 year $30 million deal so I can see the evolution of the new whipping boy, starting in year 2 of the deal *cough* Aron Baynes *cough*.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#219 » by detroitKG » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:44 pm

Well said DetroitSho! :clap:
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#220 » by flow » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Hawks kick off the trade season by acquiring Jeff Teague & Treveon Graham from Minny for Allen Crabbe.

Return to Detroit Pistons