ImageImageImage

Hot and Heavy with the Hawks (Drummond Trade Rumors go National)

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Re: Hot and Heavy with the Hawks (Drummond Trade Rumors go National) 

Post#281 » by Kilo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:16 pm

Snell's "great trade" was ruined by trading the #30 for crap. Imagine this team with Sekou and Porter Jr out of the draft.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#282 » by Invictus88 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:30 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:If you would've actually read my post there's no way you come away saying I think anybody advocating for trading Dre is hating on Dre. Since I literally.......ummm............advocated for trading him multiple times in my post. What part did you miss? Just curious.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

I wasn't talking about you; unless you are an alt for DetroitPistons.
WTF? You quoted my post. And you mentioned in it several times that the acknowledgement that Dre needs to be traded is being seen as hate. Yeah no way I should assume you were talking about my post.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

I did quote your post -- where you referenced DetroitPistons and the discussion that we (DetroitPistons, Snakebites, and I) just had. You mentioning that you were commenting on that was the entirety of the reason I responded at all.

I'm sensing hostility or at the very least frustration from you but I'm having a hard time finding reason for it?

Again. The chain of events was: DetroitPistons makes an absurd claim. Snake and I call him out on it. He gets upset and leaves(?). You reference that discussion:
DetroitSho wrote:I'm going to attempt to convey what DetroitPistons (I think it was him) was trying to say but went just a little too far

I comment on your reference and the discussion but really don't delve into anything that you said specifically.
Invictus88 wrote:So the TLDR here is: I'm not even going to respond to whether or not the Dre hate is warranted DetroitSho. I know you wrote 5 paragraphs about it but in the context of the prior discussion it's largely immaterial.

You reply thinking this was about you. I claim it was about DetroitPistons. And now your reply?
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#283 » by thesack12 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:32 pm

Kilo wrote:Snell's "great trade" was ruined by trading the #30 for crap. Imagine this team with Sekou and Porter Jr out of the draft.

Yep, it was a terrible trade from jump and what happened during the draft just made it worse.

Snell cost $1.9 mil more than Leuer this season, and will opt in to $12.2 mil next season. Detroit took on money trading for Snell getting pick for doing so, only to trade that pick essentially for cap relief themselves. Ed didn't want that guaranteed 1st round contract that #30 represented on the books, nor any other money on the books due to luxury tax concerns. Which is why Detroit took a draft and stash and a 2 way contracted player in the 2nd round.

Now Detroit is saddled with Snell, an expensive player that nobody wants, and will be forced to have him around stealing minutes on a rebuilding team next season as well. At least Leuer only had 1 year left on his contract, and wasn't stealing any minutes from anyone.

The Snell trade and its ripple effects were absolutely awful. That trade has brought absolutely no tangible value, and actually cost Detroit cash + cap flexibility (which limits trade options due to being right at the tax line) + developmental time for the young players.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#284 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:29 pm

Not to derail your Detroit fans convo about Drummond......but Rumor in Hawkland is that Hawks offered an expiring contract and the OKC 2022 1st (lottery protected then 2 2nds)....Pistons declined. They asked for BKN 1st, Hawks declined. No other team has offered a 1st.
Re-signing Drummond appears to be on the table for Gores if they can't find a deal they like.
Edited last sentence.
subbed sub
Senior
And1: 874

Post#285 » by subbed sub » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:48 pm

jayu70 wrote:Not to derail your Detroit fans convo about Drummond......but Rumor in Hawkland is that Hawks offered an expiring contract and the OKC 2022 1st (lottery protected then 2 2nds)....Pistons declined. They asked for BKN 1st, Hawks declined. No other team has offered a 1st.
Re-signing Drummond appears to be on the table for Gores

Damn. If true, why did we decline that?

Your last sentence is false. I doubt anything will get moving with the Drummund trade until the final few days of the trade window. That is when we will see something happen. And possibly still with the Hawks.
potatoaim
Senior
And1: 317

Post#286 » by potatoaim » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:04 pm

subbed sub wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Not to derail your Detroit fans convo about Drummond......but Rumor in Hawkland is that Hawks offered an expiring contract and the OKC 2022 1st (lottery protected then 2 2nds)....Pistons declined. They asked for BKN 1st, Hawks declined. No other team has offered a 1st.

Your last sentence is false. I doubt anything will get moving with the Drummund trade until the final few days of the trade window. That is when we will see something happen. And possibly still with the Hawks.

Why would they accept that? That offer is garbage. The "1st round pick" that inevitably becomes 2 2nds years from now is essentially worthless.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#287 » by Kilo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:10 pm

Re-signing does seem to be on the table as Vince Ellis tweeted that Detroit and Dre exchanged extension numbers - Dre asked for the max, Detroit countered with a lot less and that was it. So if Dre came down off his number maybe there is still a deal to be made with Gores. Hell, these leaks could be from Stefanski to try and show Dre that he's not as valuable as what he was asking contract wise.

Or maybe Detroit is realizing with the trade offers that Dre's FA bidding will be more in where their number was and Dre will decide that if the money is all equal just to stay here.

I mean two second rounders for Drummond is trying to rip us off. If we had no plans on potentially keeping him than sure - get something. But if we made what we thought a fair offer than we're not looking to give him away. Dre isn't going to opt in because of injury risk. The insurance he'd have to pay would probably lose him money from opting out and extending.

So we try to extend him or he walks for nothing. I'm not going to cry over not getting those two future OKC second rounders in 2023 and 2024.

Also us potentially wanting to keep him could be a smokescreen in order to get teams to pony up more. I mean if they're bidding against us in free agency it means they'd have to probably beat our number by enough to convince him to uproot and leave. Also we could add a fifth year to our offer whereas they could only offer four. So if a team like ATL does want him, they're better off trading for him to give themselves better odds of getting him longer term.
Weaver = Hinkie
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#288 » by LaSheed » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:10 pm

Never said anything about the #30 pick being moved. Luer for Snell + a first was a great trade.
Bum for rotational player and an asset. Hindsight 20/20 wouldve done more with that #30 but if this kid overseas pans out we wont be complaing about Porter Jr.

Here we are looking to trade Rose or Drummond for basically anything that has a 1st rd pick attached to it. And we got one for John freaking Luer.

What free agent will Detroit attract this offseason better than Snell? What one last year?
subbed sub
Senior
And1: 874

Post#289 » by subbed sub » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:20 pm

potatoaim wrote:
subbed sub wrote:

Why would they accept that? That offer is garbage. The "1st round pick" that inevitably becomes 2 2nds years from now is essentially worthless.

OKC have some good young players (SGA) . They could easily make the playoffs in 2 years time, and we'd have a pick in the teens in a stronger draft.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#290 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:22 pm

subbed sub wrote:
Re-signing Drummond appears to be on the table for Gores if they can't find a deal they like.

Edited last sentence.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#291 » by thesack12 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:29 pm

LaSheed wrote:Never said anything about the #30 pick being moved. Luer for Snell + a first was a great trade.
Bum for rotational player and an asset. Hindsight 20/20 wouldve done more with that #30 but if this kid overseas pans out we wont be complaing about Porter Jr.

Here we are looking to trade Rose or Drummond for basically anything that has a 1st rd pick attached to it. And we got one for John freaking Luer.

What free agent will Detroit attract this offseason better than Snell? What one last year?

Its not hindsight, when I said the exact same things immediately after those trades.

As I mentioned above there are many more layers and repercussions involved in that Snell trade than simply Snell > Leuer as players or who is Detroit gonna sign as a free agent. That thought process is taking a very narrow scoped view of the move.

Not trying to change your take on the trade, as everybody is entitled to their own opinion. However, we can't deny that Detroit has not gotten anything of tangible value from that trade as of yet. And the potential is pretty high that won't change. I mean we are pinning our hopes on a draft & stash dart throw, a 2 way contract caliber player, and a long distant SRP. Also can't discount that having Tony Snell around on a team that is about to hit the reset button and rebuild is a negative as well.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#292 » by thesack12 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 pm

subbed sub wrote:
potatoaim wrote:
subbed sub wrote:

OKC have some good young players (SGA) . They could easily make the playoffs in 2 years time, and we'd have a pick in the teens in a stronger draft.

Yeah, I get why they would decline that offer for the time being since there are still a couple weeks until TDL. But if that winds up being the best offer they find, I don't see much of a reason why they shouldn't phone up the Hawks and see if it would be put back on the table.

What is better to have in 2022, Two SRP's (at worst) or just the memories of Andre Drummond?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#293 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:04 am

thesack12 wrote:
subbed sub wrote:
potatoaim wrote:

Yeah, I get why they would decline that offer for the time being since there are still a couple weeks until TDL. But if that winds up being the best offer they find, I don't see much of a reason why they shouldn't phone up the Hawks and see if it would be put back on the table.

What is better to have in 2022, Two SRP's (at worst) or just the memories of Andre Drummond?

Thats also the draft where all the high schoolers can come into the NBA. So the 2nd round should be pretty loaded.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#294 » by Snakebites » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:30 am

Yeah, I think I’m now fully to terms with the fact that Dre won’t be traded.

It’ll be a nice surprise if he is.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#295 » by Kilo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:40 am

True or False - We;ll be the 8th seed in the East come the TDL?

I think we'll probably be a game out behind Orlando who will go 2-8 in their remaining games. We'll go 6-5 or 7-4.
Weaver = Hinkie
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,543

Post#296 » by pistonsbball » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:50 am

thesack12 wrote:
subbed sub wrote:
potatoaim wrote:

Much better than nothing and the risk of Dre opting in. Currently we don't own any 2nds until 2024.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#297 » by bstein14 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:32 am

Everyone knows that If you trade a first round pick and then he walks for nothing it makes you look really bad. Also Dres agent knows if a team trades a good pick for him it means that really want to resign him. Overall, it's a bad move for anyone to give up a first for Dre unless they are a playoff team and they think Dre propels them into a deeper playoff run.

I think it's safe to say Dre will be a piston until April.

Part of me wonders what Dre would look like as offensive option #5 behind a healthy Rose, Kennard, Blake and improved Sekou but I dont think we are ever going to see that lineup.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#298 » by Snakebites » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:45 am

bstein14 wrote:Everyone knows that If you trade a first round pick and then he walks for nothing it makes you look really bad. Also Dres agent knows if a team trades a good pick for him it means that really want to resign him. Overall, it's a bad move for anyone to give up a first for Dre unless they are a playoff team and they think Dre propels them into a deeper playoff run.

I think it's safe to say Dre will be a piston until April.

Part of me wonders what Dre would look like as offensive option #5 behind a healthy Rose, Kennard, Blake and improved Sekou but I dont think we are ever going to see that lineup.

I think Blake’s days as a key member of a team are over for good. Even if Dre sticks around we’ll never see that lineup.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#299 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:04 am

Kilo wrote:True or False - We;ll be the 8th seed in the East come the TDL?

I think we'll probably be a game out behind Orlando who will go 2-8 in their remaining games. We'll go 6-5 or 7-4.

Im gonna say false, we are really crappy and have one of the worst records from getting wrecked by crap teams. We went toe to toe and beat the Cavs and the Celtics overlooked us on a night we couldn't miss.

Other then that i see no reason to think we are going to be in the playoffs.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#300 » by El Chivo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:11 am

Drummond's era will never end, I'm starting to deal with it.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Return to Detroit Pistons