ImageImageImage

Is it time to seriously consider trading Luke Kennard?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Re: Is it time to seriously consider trading Luke Kennard? 

Post#141 » by rmfc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:54 pm

sludgefoot wrote:Let's first get a center, then a point guard, then a power forward (not necessarily in that order)...then, if Kennard fits, great! If not, look for trades.

Sent from my SM-A205U using RealGM mobile app

That logic can be applied for, literally, any position/player on this team.
sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Post#142 » by sludgefoot » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:01 am

rmfc wrote:
sludgefoot wrote:Let's first get a center, then a point guard, then a power forward (not necessarily in that order)...then, if Kennard fits, great! If not, look for trades.

That logic can be applied for, literally, any position/player on this team.
I would keep Sekou, Wood, Brown & Kennard as the basis for 3 to 5 yrs growth.

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#143 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:01 am

Exactly!

Woods, Blake, Sekou, Luke, Brown the projected starters next season.

Rose, Lotto pick, Snell & maybe Kieff the big contributors off the pine.

Trade our cap space for 2 year deals + picks so teams can clear cap for 2021 free agency...

And away we go

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#144 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:25 pm

Tendinitis that lasts for months could be tendinitis, tankingharditis, or something else.
I'm at the point where I'd want to see a real medical report before deciding if we should keep.
I don't trust that I would get that from whatever butt droppings are splooged to the media.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#145 » by Manocad » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:29 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:Tendinitis that lasts for months could be tendinitis, tankingharditis, or something else.
I'm at the point where I'd want to see a real medical report before deciding if we should keep.
I don't trust that I would get that from whatever butt droppings are splooged to the media.

Exactly. There is no logical reason to play Luke right now even if he was 100% healthy.
sludgefoot
Junior

Post#146 » by sludgefoot » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:21 am

Manocad wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:Tendinitis that lasts for months could be tendinitis, tankingharditis, or something else.

Exactly. There is no logical reason to play Luke right now even if he was 100% healthy.
Now would be absolutely the dumbest time to trade Luke. Buy low - sell high!

440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#147 » by 440BB » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:30 pm

With Svi showing he's an adequate backup/rotation piece I think Kennard can play more manageable minutes going forward. I wouldn't trade him, particularly while his value is at a low point.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#148 » by SamFlow » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:07 pm

440BB wrote:With Svi showing he's an adequate backup/rotation piece I think Kennard can play more manageable minutes going forward. I wouldn't trade him, particularly while his value is at a low point.

I'd be more than happy to trade Luke for Kuzma.

Keep Rose.

Rose, Svi, Kuzma, Sekou, Dre or whoever we trade dre for.
BigDaddyJungle
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#149 » by Neptune » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:26 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
Neptune wrote:Huh? How will this team ever move forward if you wouldn't trade for a guy who's a top 8 2-guard in the league if the opportunity presented itself? You would rather keep Kennard and think we're competitive?

He just explained that... Finances are critical for improving. McCollum locks us into mediocrity with no financial room to improve.

Finances are critical for improving?

You have to spend money to become more competitive. Then make trades to acquire better players. Keeping an average player like Kennard around who'll never give you 20+ a game is another reason why the Pistons will continue to be mediocre.
JD43320
Veteran
And1: 774

Post#150 » by JD43320 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 pm

There is nothing wrong with keeping average players around unless you are counting on and paying said player to be way above average or if you decline to move him for a clear upgrade because some crazy faction of the fan base thinks he's a star. Keeping Kennard and paying him actual market value when he's up for an extension won't hurt anything unless the organization passes on better prospects because they buy into and want to sell the narrative that he is our future at the SG position. That's been a huge problem for this franchise over the last 10-15 years. They pick someone and hype them up to be some sort of savior, bank everything on them becoming a star/superstar and pass on better players because they foolishly believe that they already have their "guy".
sludgefoot
Junior

Post#151 » by sludgefoot » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:53 pm

Neptune wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:
Neptune wrote:Huh? How will this team ever move forward if you wouldn't trade for a guy who's a top 8 2-guard in the league if the opportunity presented itself? You would rather keep Kennard and think we're competitive?

He just explained that... Finances are critical for improving. McCollum locks us into mediocrity with no financial room to improve.

Finances are critical for improving?

You have to spend money to become more competitive. Then make trades to acquire better players. Keeping an average player like Kennard around who'll never give you 20+ a game is another reason why the Pistons will continue to be mediocre.
How many 20+ a game players are you going to have on your team? Kennard is not the problem! 1st upgrade point guard, wing, center. Then, and only then, see how Kennard fits. If Sekou is getting 20+ and Luke is getting 15 to 18 with 6+ assists per game...that's a good start.

DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#152 » by DetroitSho » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:27 am

JD43320 wrote:There is nothing wrong with keeping average players around unless you are counting on and paying said player to be way above average or if you decline to move him for a clear upgrade because some crazy faction of the fan base thinks he's a star. Keeping Kennard and paying him actual market value when he's up for an extension won't hurt anything unless the organization passes on better prospects because they buy into and want to sell the narrative that he is our future at the SG position. That's been a huge problem for this franchise over the last 10-15 years. They pick someone and hype them up to be some sort of savior, bank everything on them becoming a star/superstar and pass on better players because they foolishly believe that they already have their "guy".
Just out of curiosity, who fits that description? I'm seriously asking.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
sludgefoot
Junior

Post#153 » by sludgefoot » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:52 am

DetroitSho wrote:
JD43320 wrote:There is nothing wrong with keeping average players around unless you are counting on and paying said player to be way above average or if you decline to move him for a clear upgrade because some crazy faction of the fan base thinks he's a star. Keeping Kennard and paying him actual market value when he's up for an extension won't hurt anything unless the organization passes on better prospects because they buy into and want to sell the narrative that he is our future at the SG position. That's been a huge problem for this franchise over the last 10-15 years. They pick someone and hype them up to be some sort of savior, bank everything on them becoming a star/superstar and pass on better players because they foolishly believe that they already have their "guy".

Not saying Kennard is the man, but there are 3 other positions to fix before we worry what to do with Luke. Let him finish his contract, then deal with it. He has been around some very selfish 1 on 1 players of very limited ability.

SamFlow
Pro Prospect

Post#154 » by SamFlow » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:50 am

I'd trade Luke for Kuzma. We have shooting guards and I think Lukes ceiling is what we have in Svi.
Kuzma can't play sf and pf depending on matchups. I'd also trade Luke and Dre for Capella.

Rose/Brown
Svi/Brown
Sekou/Kuzma
Kuzma/Sekou (next year Griffin)
Capela/

add in free agency and draft picks.
Unless we have more injuries, I tend to believe we are making the playoffs this year.
We'll know more based on who we trade or don't trade.
BigDaddyJungle
JD43320
Veteran
And1: 774

Post#155 » by JD43320 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:36 am

DetroitSho wrote:

Stuckey, for a time Moose, and Dre for example.
subbed sub
Senior
And1: 874

Post#156 » by subbed sub » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:19 am

SamFlow wrote:I'd trade Luke for Kuzma. We have shooting guards and I think Lukes ceiling is what we have in Svi.
Kuzma can't play sf and pf depending on matchups. I'd also trade Luke and Dre for Capella.

Rose/Brown
Svi/Brown
Sekou/Kuzma
Capela/

Unless we have more injuries, I tend to believe we are making the playoffs this year.

Kuzma is Austin Daye mk2
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#157 » by DetroitSho » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:07 pm

JD43320 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:

Stuckey, for a time Moose, and Dre for example.
I get at times the team thought these guys were cornerstones. But who are the better players that were passed on in favor of them?

sludgefoot
Junior

Post#158 » by sludgefoot » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:48 am

subbed sub wrote:
SamFlow wrote:I'd trade Luke for Kuzma. We have shooting guards and I think Lukes ceiling is what we have in Svi.

Rose/Brown
Svi/Brown
Sekou/Kuzma
Capela/

Kuzma is Austin Daye mk2
Svi is no Kennard. Compare stats and they're not close. What happen to all the upside of Luke from playoffs, 30 pt games, 25 pt games and Rose saying "luke doesn't know how good he is".

SamFlow
Pro Prospect

Post#159 » by SamFlow » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:42 am

sludgefoot wrote:
subbed sub wrote:

Rose/Brown
Svi/Brown
Sekou/Kuzma
Capela/

Kuzma is Austin Daye mk2
Svi is no Kennard. Compare stats and they're not close. What happen to all the upside of Luke from playoffs, 30 pt games, 25 pt games and Rose saying "luke doesn't know how good he is".

I've never been too much of a luke fan. I just havn't seen anything that excites me for the future. A player and pick? I think more of dennis jr pg from the knicks. I'd love for him and rose to be paired for the next two years.

Mitchel Robinson, DSjr, Kuzma...or Matisse Thybille... would love to add them through trrade and add another first somewhere. I think if we can we will do well drafting this year.
BigDaddyJungle
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#160 » by jakebernat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:54 am

as time goes by, it is apparent that there is an extreme disconnect between those who value Luke, and those who don’t.

he is better than svi, but how much better is he? more than that, what is his monetary value as opposed to svi? is he worth it to keep him around long term?

this FO has some serious decisions to make over the next year, some more important than most realize.

Return to Detroit Pistons