ImageImageImage

Game 48: Detroit Pistons (17-30) vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (12-34) - 7:00 PM ET

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,046

Re: Game 48: Detroit Pistons (17-30) vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (12-34) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#41 » by Laimbeer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:11 pm

rmfc wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
If they tear it down, I agree. But I'm not confident Gores will accept this. He can tell himself they were a playoff team with Blake and might get even better with another piece.

We also have Blake for at least one, possibly two more seasons. Moving him now is borderline impossible and trying to tank while he's here would be problematic.

It's impossible for them to tear it down now because the massive Blake contract is immovable but what I meant by hope is losing a bunch of games and at the very least push them into some form of rebuild mode as opposed to competing for a playoff spot. I've had much lower moments as a Pistons fan than last night which encompasses most of the last 5 years.

You know what would be the ultimate low point? Not selling off any assets at the deadline, sneaking into the playoffs, getting boatraced by the Bucks and Drummond opts in. The more they lose, the more they distance themselves from these possibilities.

Before the SVG era began, there was just one terrible contract >> Josh Smith. Not it feels like there are multiple Josh Smith contracts (and that includes Blake's) on this team.

Pure comedy.

Eh, Snell is the only other one, assuming he opts in. Everyone else is either expiring or not a bad deal.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,942

Re: Game 48: Detroit Pistons (17-30) vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (12-34) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#42 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Thompson 4-4, 10 points and 8 boards in 12 minutes.
When did Tristan Kardashian become such a Drummond killer?
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#43 » by Crymson » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:11 am

rmfc wrote:Before the SVG era began, there was just one terrible contract >> Josh Smith. Not it feels like there are multiple Josh Smith contracts (and that includes Blake's) on this team.

Pure comedy.

Van Gundy could have moved Smith in his first offseason. Sacramento made an offer. Smith had one of the league's worst deals. But Stan said no. First of many mistakes. That said, the Griffin contract is much worse. And he PAID the Clippers for the opportunity take it off their hands! Unbelievable.

Also included in his legacy: the unholy trash heap of a roster he left his successors, as well as an almost complete lack of young talent thanks to his incredibly bad drafting.

Laimbeer wrote:Eh, Snell is the only other one, assuming he opts in. Everyone else is either expiring or not a bad deal.

Maybe we will get lucky and Tony will opt out. It's a good year for him to do so. He's been utter crap for the Pistons, but he's done so very quietly.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,343

Post#44 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:54 am

Crymson wrote:
rmfc wrote:Before the SVG era began, there was just one terrible contract >> Josh Smith. Not it feels like there are multiple Josh Smith contracts (and that includes Blake's) on this team.

Pure comedy.

Van Gundy could have moved Smith in his first offseason. Sacramento made an offer. Smith had one of the league's worst deals. But Stan said no. First of many mistakes. That said, the Griffin contract is much worse. And he PAID the Clippers for the opportunity take it off their hands! Unbelievable.

Also included in his legacy: the unholy trash heap of a roster he left his successors, as well as an almost complete lack of young talent thanks to his incredibly bad drafting.

Laimbeer wrote:Eh, Snell is the only other one, assuming he opts in. Everyone else is either expiring or not a bad deal.

Maybe we will get lucky and Tony will opt out. It's a good year for him to do so. He's been utter crap for the Pistons, but he's done so very quietly.

SVG was an average coach and an awful GM. If he was just coaching this team we wouldnt be in such bad shape. Thing is the only reason he came here was because we offered him complete control. Thats why I dont get people who give him a pass. He wanted all the control he got all the control and he failed miserably.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,878

Post#45 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:58 pm

Crymson wrote:

Pure comedy.

What was the offer to Move Smith to Sacramento? If i remember it correctly it was for two bad contracts and a 1st. Nobody was touching Josh Smith without some type of serious asset attached.

I think people forget just how awful J Smoove was here. There was no trade anywhere to just move him.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:46 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Crymson wrote:

Pure comedy.

What was the offer to Move Smith to Sacramento? If i remember it correctly it was for two bad contracts and a 1st. Nobody was touching Josh Smith without some type of serious asset attached.

I think people forget just how awful J Smoove was here. There was no trade anywhere to just move him.

I google searched it i was curious myself.

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2014/7/17/5911881/trade-rumor-josh-smith-pistons-kings

The article says it was from Stein. Cant get it to load on Espn but this is from the article I believe. What a huge mishap if this was true. I wouldnt be all that surprised if Stan was thinking he cant trade any talent and hes a good enough coach to make it work.

"Sources say the Kings continue to give the addition of Smith serious consideration, largely because the discussions to date have not required them to part with any players in their long-term plans and would also add a versatile and athletic defender to a roster that badly needs one, given how much Kings coach Mike Malone is known to preach defense.

Kings owner Vivek Ranadive, furthermore, is known to be fond of splashy moves. And trading for Smith, given the lukewarm reviews of his first season with the Pistons, would certainly qualify as bold.

Another potential bonus is Smith's close relationship with Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo, whom Sacramento has been targeting in trade talks for some time.

The Kings, sources say, prefer to trade Terry rather than buy him out of the final year of his contract valued at nearly $6 million, while Terry has said he's interested in a return to the Dallas Mavericks if he's ultimately released and can get to free agency."

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E481518115390361600&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthesmokingcuban.com%2F2014%2F06%2F24%2Fnba-rumors-sacramento-kings-trade-josh-smith%2F
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#47 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:10 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Crymson wrote:

I google searched it i was curious myself.

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2014/7/17/5911881/trade-rumor-josh-smith-pistons-kings

The article says it was from Stein. Cant get it to load on Espn but this is from the article I believe. What a huge mishap if this was true. I wouldnt be all that surprised if Stan was thinking he cant trade any talent and hes a good enough coach to make it work.

"Sources say the Kings continue to give the addition of Smith serious consideration, largely because the discussions to date have not required them to part with any players in their long-term plans and would also add a versatile and athletic defender to a roster that badly needs one, given how much Kings coach Mike Malone is known to preach defense.

Kings owner Vivek Ranadive, furthermore, is known to be fond of splashy moves. And trading for Smith, given the lukewarm reviews of his first season with the Pistons, would certainly qualify as bold.

Another potential bonus is Smith's close relationship with Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo, whom Sacramento has been targeting in trade talks for some time.

The Kings, sources say, prefer to trade Terry rather than buy him out of the final year of his contract valued at nearly $6 million, while Terry has said he's interested in a return to the Dallas Mavericks if he's ultimately released and can get to free agency."

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E481518115390361600&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthesmokingcuban.com%2F2014%2F06%2F24%2Fnba-rumors-sacramento-kings-trade-josh-smith%2F

This was from Woj at the time

Kings original offers to Detroit in June featured Jason Thompson/Derrick Williams. Subsequent pitches involved Landry subbed in for Williams

I thought i remember someone reporting after we stretched Smith that they were also wanting a 1st on top of it. So long ago now that its hard to find all the info.

But it wasnt really a sexy offer or anything cause both Landry and Thompson were on bad deals themselves and those were the names i remember being the only open offer hearing about.

Basically he passed up on a initial offer thinking he could do better then he became unmoveable without attaching a pick

Vince Ellis-

Obviously developing story, but #Pistons have been desperately trying to move in recent days, but teams wanting a first-rounder in return.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#48 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:29 pm

This was after we stretched him lol

Jake Fisher-

Had heard from a Pistons front office member that Detroit daily pursued Josh Smith trades with all 29 other NBA teams. Zero were interested.

And a reminder of why he was so unmoveable

Josh Smith was on pace to be the 1st NBA player ever to shoot below 40% FG & below 50% FT while taking at least 12 shots per game.

Josh Smith has a true shooting pct of 41.7%, last among qualified players. Last year, he was also last (46.3%). He made $13.5M both seasons.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:47 am

MotownMadness wrote:This was after we stretched him lol

Jake Fisher-

Had heard from a Pistons front office member that Detroit daily pursued Josh Smith trades with all 29 other NBA teams. Zero were interested.

And a reminder of why he was so unmoveable

Josh Smith was on pace to be the 1st NBA player ever to shoot below 40% FG & below 50% FT while taking at least 12 shots per game.

Josh Smith has a true shooting pct of 41.7%, last among qualified players. Last year, he was also last (46.3%). He made $13.5M both seasons.

Yeah once that next season started no way he was going to get traded anymore. We could of took that kings deal in the summer the season before. Nothing I seen said 1st rounder included but its possible I guess but surprised it wasnt reported somewhere. We clearly would of had to eat some bad contracts but it would of been better then paying him for years. I'm guessing SVG thought he was better off trying to make it work with Smith then take on more bad contract players but in the end those guys would of been off the books sooner.

Return to Detroit Pistons