ImageImageImage

Drummond Appreciation Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Re: Drummond Appreciation Thread 

Post#81 » by bstein14 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:50 am

Dre has worked on his game and he has improved and we can all give him credit for that. More and more NBA teams are moving to smaller, quicker, offensive minded C's that can play on the perimeter and that just isn't going to be great for a guy like Dre you just can't give him max money and bank on him being a franchise player.

If Dre would have accepted a 4 year $80 million contract extension he'd still be a Piston right now. I think its safe to say that he will have some big statistical nights moving forward, and he'll probably get paid decent this summer so he will be just fine. The Pistons will be better off using that money on other players, when it comes to actual wins and losses. The only real downside to the Dre trade is that we didn't further eliminate the vets to ensure a top 4 pick and that the young guys would get a ton of play.

I can both appreciate some of the stuff Dre did here but still be really happy he is no longer a Piston.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#82 » by Manocad » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:38 am

bstein14 wrote:Dre has worked on his game and he has improved and we can all give him credit for that. More and more NBA teams are moving to smaller, quicker, offensive minded C's that can play on the perimeter and that just isn't going to be great for a guy like Dre you just can't give him max money and bank on him being a franchise player.

If Dre would have accepted a 4 year $80 million contract extension he'd still be a Piston right now. I think its safe to say that he will have some big statistical nights moving forward, and he'll probably get paid decent this summer so he will be just fine. The Pistons will be better off using that money on other players, when it comes to actual wins and losses. The only real downside to the Dre trade is that we didn't further eliminate the vets to ensure a top 4 pick and that the young guys would get a ton of play.

I can both appreciate some of the stuff Dre did here but still be really happy he is no longer a Piston.

Well put. It's annoying to hear the terms "hater" and "hating on" being equated with "I don't see this player as being a good fit for this team."

If I don't want to have a drink with you, I don't hate you; I just don't want to drink with you. If I hate you I'm going to knock your f***ing teeth down your throat the second you say "boo." There's a big difference.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,927

Post#83 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:26 am

bstein14 wrote:Dre has worked on his game and he has improved and we can all give him credit for that. More and more NBA teams are moving to smaller, quicker, offensive minded C's that can play on the perimeter and that just isn't going to be great for a guy like Dre you just can't give him max money and bank on him being a franchise player.

It didn't help that SVG didn't have Dre work on extending his defense at the get-go, instead having him focus on some pet offense baby hook move that mostly led to turnovers or accentuated his poor FT shooting. The only offensive move he should've been working on at that time was FTs. I almost wonder if Dre's development would've been better off with Mo Cheeks... almost.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#84 » by 440BB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:10 am

It looks like Coach Beilien will be stepping down from the Cavs. Andre gets a new coach in record time.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#85 » by vic » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:05 pm

That's a very interesting thought about Mo Cheeks... because Mo Cheeks actually won a championship with Moses Malone... who is Drummond's actual Comp.

Drummond will never be Shaq or Hakeem but he is the next Moses Malone if a team can figure out how to use him.

Too bad they stuck Mo Cheeks with Josh Smith and Greg Monroe then blamed the failure of the team on him. No space at all on the floor. Interesting that SVG had to ship Josh out to have the beginning of any type of success.

Its amazing how the 5 guys on the floor have to fit together for a team to be successful. Hopefully a team will figure out how to use Dre.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#86 » by flow » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:14 am

vic wrote:That's a very interesting thought about Mo Cheeks... because Mo Cheeks actually won a championship with Moses Malone... who is Drummond's actual Comp.

Drummond will never be Shaq or Hakeem but he is the next Moses Malone if a team can figure out how to use him.

Too bad they stuck Mo Cheeks with Josh Smith and Greg Monroe then blamed the failure of the team on him. No space at all on the floor. Interesting that SVG had to ship Josh out to have the beginning of any type of success.

Its amazing how the 5 guys on the floor have to fit together for a team to be successful. Hopefully a team will figure out how to use Dre.

1. Cheeks was awful.
2. Drummond isn't Moses Malone.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#87 » by Manocad » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:47 pm

flow wrote:
vic wrote:That's a very interesting thought about Mo Cheeks... because Mo Cheeks actually won a championship with Moses Malone... who is Drummond's actual Comp.

1. Cheeks was awful.
2. Drummond isn't Moses Malone.

Correct. Drummond's actual comp is more like Dwight Howard...with less offense. And a HELLUVA lot less defense.

Moses was voted as one of the original Top 50 All Time Greatest NBA players, for pete's sake. Dre's career 14.4/13.9 and last year's 17.7/15.8 are impressive stats, but I don't think anyone with half a brain would compare him to a:

- HOFer
- 3x MVP
- NBA Champion
- Finals MVP
- 13x All Star
- 6x Rebound champ
Center with 20.3/12.3 career numbers.

There is no way on this planet or any other that Dre can come close to achieving that kind of a resume when he's 26 now.

Return to Detroit Pistons