ImageImageImage

Let's start the rebuild!

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#341 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:36 am

chrbal wrote:My question is what is Luke’s draft pick value in a trade?

If someone offers a first rounder for Luke, you accept before they change their minds.
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#342 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:42 am

pistons4ever wrote:Only hypothetical

Would you trade no.7 kennard ..snell and syrvidis for
Jaylen Brown??

Or to ask ....for what player you would trade them

If Ainge was interested in this, they would make him pee in a cup
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#343 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:48 am

Southern Piston wrote:I was thinking griffin and diving for Horford, Richardson, and the 1st
We flip Richardson, with Rose, B brown, and Maker for GS cap space and the 1st

We draft sadddiq bay at 22, the French pg at 7, and the DenJi at 2

Don’t forget Horford for LeBron James and their 1st. Draft Cassius Winston too.
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#344 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:55 am

guldakot wrote:Would you do this trade?
Rose, Kennard, Snell and Kyrie for Wiggins and 2?
Golden State gets incredible depth in the backcourt and, 2 expirings and the definition of average at the 3 to get out of Wiggins contract and the Stones get a tank commander, as well as the chance to grab their backcourt of the future with a combo like Edwards and Hayes, or Ball and Vassell.

Would you do it? Do you think GS would?

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7315842

Golden State wants exactly zero of those players.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#345 » by chrbal » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 pm

Manocad wrote:My fear is that as soon as a little improvement is shown from the young guys (call it a 35-40 win team) everyone—including Pistons’ management—will want to go all in on the “win now” train, overpay for gap-filling FA’s, and sign a star thinking the team is going to jump from a middle of the road team to a championship contender.

Not in today’s NBA. My theory is that the Pistons need to build a team that can win 50 games BEFORE adding that potentially overpaid gap-filling FA and star player before they’re truly a championship contender. The days of “just make the playoffs and you’ve got a shot” are loooong gone. You have to have a team that you KNOW can take out the championship teams in a 7-game series before you’ve got a real shot.

My fear is gores trying to force the team forward. Weaver I think will value draft assets.

Either way it will be interesting to see how we handle the offseason
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#346 » by Pharaoh » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:18 pm

Manocad wrote:My fear is that as soon as a little improvement is shown from the young guys (call it a 35-40 win team) everyone—including Pistons’ management—will want to go all in on the “win now” train, overpay for gap-filling FA’s, and sign a star thinking the team is going to jump from a middle of the road team to a championship contender.

Not in today’s NBA. My theory is that the Pistons need to build a team that can win 50 games BEFORE adding that potentially overpaid gap-filling FA and star player before they’re truly a championship contender. The days of “just make the playoffs and you’ve got a shot” are loooong gone. You have to have a team that you KNOW can take out the championship teams in a 7-game series before you’ve got a real shot.
I agree with this.

I believe following the Nets "blueprint" is the way forward.

We can argue about location but when Marks was hired they were in a terrible position.

He built a "culture", acquired pieces and put a promising roster on the floor.

Took them from nowhere to the playoffs (if memory serves) without a superstar...then got 2 marquee free agents.

That last step may or may not work out and may not be possible for us but everything up to that point is possible if our FO can manage it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#347 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:31 am

The reality is it might be a while, even 3 seasons, like the middle of the 3rd season from now, before this team looks any good.

Sekou would be 21?, 22?, I mean still a baby. Wood (please re-sign him detroit) would be very young yet.

The rest of the team is just fodder at this point. 2/3 of the guys on this team will not be here then. Half the team might be different next off season. Who is even worth keeping if the team is actually trying to rebuild?

GMs with 3 seasons to actually rebuild a terrible team are a rare bird. Look at SVG. Team wasnt good, trade away the future for Griffin, yuck. So it was Griffin plus a bad team. Who thought that was going anywhere except a first round exit.

This team will probably get worse. Not bottom out. Then add Horford to "take us over the top" which will be a 40 win team, with another really bad contract. To try and save someones job.

Who is another really bad vet with a large contract that could be added 2 years from now. That guy will be a Piston because someone is about to lose their job.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#348 » by Canadafan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:35 am

I dunno I'm feeling like Gores has to have seen the light finally. I'm somewhat confident he will let Weaver do his thing and build us the right way. No pressures.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#349 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:45 am

Canadafan wrote:I dunno I'm feeling like Gores has to have seen the light finally. I'm somewhat confident he will let Weaver do his thing and build us the right way. No pressures.

We will find out pretty soon.

1) Cap numbers for next year will come out. Could put the Pistons in a good spot since they had a large cap compared to other teams.

Some teams were already WAY in luxury tax hell, what happens when the cap drop 10-20%? Pistons can absorb bad contracts for pick and prizes? If we dont do that, probably not rebuilding the right way.

2) By the trade deadline more will be known. If guys like Griffin and Rose are playing alright, ie, not crippled and on the bench, Pistons need to sell high.

If they dont sell high, its not rebuilding the right way. Again, the obvious place for Gores to say, oh no, look, Griffin is playing his back down, stumble, turn and lob something in dance. We're first round exit bound. Then try to trade for someone like Horford to "put us over the top".

3) Then of course next off-season. So in 12 months all will be known. My guess is things go horribly wrong. Until I see differently.

When did things last look good? 2008 with Flip (RIP)? I need more than "I'm somewhat confident" after 12 years.
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#350 » by SamFlow » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:20 am

edmunder_prc wrote:
Canadafan wrote:I dunno I'm feeling like Gores has to have seen the light finally. I'm somewhat confident he will let Weaver do his thing and build us the right way. No pressures.

We will find out pretty soon.

1) Cap numbers for next year will come out. Could put the Pistons in a good spot since they had a large cap compared to other teams.

Some teams were already WAY in luxury tax hell, what happens when the cap drop 10-20%? Pistons can absorb bad contracts for pick and prizes? If we dont do that, probably not rebuilding the right way.

2) By the trade deadline more will be known. If guys like Griffin and Rose are playing alright, ie, not crippled and on the bench, Pistons need to sell high.

If they dont sell high, its not rebuilding the right way. Again, the obvious place for Gores to say, oh no, look, Griffin is playing his back down, stumble, turn and lob something in dance. We're first round exit bound. Then try to trade for someone like Horford to "put us over the top".

3) Then of course next off-season. So in 12 months all will be known. My guess is things go horribly wrong. Until I see differently.

When did things last look good? 2008 with Flip (RIP)? I need more than "I'm somewhat confident" after 12 years.

All rumors...

But I keep seeing trade concepts with Blake to different teams like the Nets for Dinwiddie and Rose for Kuzma while still keeping our pick.

Dinwiddle
Kennard
Kuzma
Woods
Wiseman/Okongwu as the draftee

It will be interesting to see what we do with Blake....and/or rose. Although I tend to think we will keep rose and not trade him. Blake we might send him to a better place. It will be interesting to see what we get for him if we do.
BigDaddyJungle
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#351 » by Pharaoh » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:42 am

You gotta think Weaver didn't come here this time to rush the job.

He was close to coming last time but didn't seal the deal - likely because he would have to repair the roster after SVG.

Now?

We can argue Wood, Sekou, Luke & Brown are the only dudes we're likely to keep tje next few years.

Rose & Snell are expirings. Blake is the lone monster deal here.

Other than draft capital Weaver has a pretty clean slate to start with. I'm anxious to see which direction he takes when the time comes.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#352 » by 100proof » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Would you guys do Snell and Rose for Hayward?
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#353 » by mattao313 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:38 pm

100proof wrote:Would you guys do Snell and Rose for Hayward?

The value is really good but I think the Pistons should just stick to a rebuild. I don't understand why Boston would do it seem like they could get more.
Championships
100proof
Starter

Post#354 » by 100proof » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:46 pm

mattao313 wrote:

The value is really good but I think the Pistons should just stick to a rebuild. I don't understand why Boston would do it seem like they could get more.

Celtics want to get below the tax line and open up the ability to use the MLE.

Also, if these playoffs have proven anything to us so far, is that we need a reliable shooter and a reliable scorer off the bench, so in theory, this would accomplish all of those things.

What of Wiggins? Think your front office has interest in adding him? If I remember correctly, i think that Casey really liked him in the past and he could be an interesting pairing with Wood and Kennard, imo.

Obviously the cost would have to be low, but say, for conversations sake, Snell and Rose for Wiggins and a pick or a young player?
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#355 » by mattao313 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:49 pm

100proof wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

Also, if these playoffs have proven anything to us so far, is that we need a reliable shooter and a reliable scorer off the bench, so in theory, this would accomplish all of those things.

What of Wiggins? Think your front office has interest in adding him? If I remember correctly, i think that Casey really liked him in the past and he could be an interesting pairing with Wood and Kennard, imo.

Obviously the cost would have to be low, but say, for conversations sake, Snell and Rose for Wiggins and a pick or a young player?

If we took on Wiggins I'd want the 2 pick attached. He is just a terrible contract and bad player.
Championships
100proof
Starter

Post#356 » by 100proof » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:54 pm

mattao313 wrote:
100proof wrote:
mattao313 wrote:The value is really good but I think the Pistons should just stick to a rebuild. I don't understand why Boston would do it seem like they could get more.

If we took on Wiggins I'd want the 2 pick attached. He is just a terrible contract and bad player.

i DONT DISAGREE. :lol:

I think some teams might take him without a pick, just to have some scoring. Maybe Charlotte or the lowly knicks.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#357 » by Crymson » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:08 pm

SamFlow wrote:It will be interesting to see what we do with Blake....and/or rose. Although I tend to think we will keep rose and not trade him. Blake we might send him to a better place. It will be interesting to see what we get for him if we do.

Blake has massively negative trade value. He looked far worse than ever after returning from his summer 2019 surgery, then dipped out for yet another knee surgery. For all intents and purposes, he missed the entire season. He had always come back looking good after surgeries, but that wasn't the case this time. There's no way of telling if he'll ever be the same again. And at this stage of his career, with all the injuries he's racked up and all the wear and tear on his body, the injuries may well become even more frequent.

Nobody wants his $75m. Maybe at the deadline if he's been playing super well, but finding proper salary match for his giant cap hit won't be easy.

Why would the Celtics deliberately become a worse team? They're trying to win a championship. The Pistons would have no use for Hayward anyway.

100proof wrote:Celtics want to get below the tax line and open up the ability to use the MLE.

I doubt Boston's ownership cares about paying the tax. As for Rose and Snell, the Celtics probably won't want them. Snell is a reliable shooter but a significant overall negative on offense thanks to his propensity for disappearance, and he's a crap defender. Rose is a reliable scorer only if you run the offense around him. That doesn't fit into Stevens's system.

I doubt the FO has any interest in Wiggins, and Golden State has zero reason to give him up for that package. He's very overpaid, but he's still a fair scorer who can do well in a non-leading role within the Warriors' offense. They'll be massively over the cap even without him, so they wouldn't be able to replace him.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#358 » by Canadafan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:16 am

Imagine having a player or two like Marcus Smart on our team....we need players with heart and toughness dammit
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#359 » by chrbal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:04 am

Canadafan wrote:Imagine having a player or two like Marcus Smart on our team....we need players with heart and toughness dammit

As long as the price doesn’t go nuts, de’anthony melton could fit that role.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#360 » by Crymson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:05 am

Canadafan wrote:Imagine having a player or two like Marcus Smart on our team....we need players with heart and toughness dammit

The Pistons first and foremost need players who can score.

Return to Detroit Pistons