ImageImageImage

Let's start the rebuild!

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

chrbal
RealGM
Posts: 18,135
And1: 523
Joined: Mar 02, 2001
Contact:

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#461 » by chrbal » Tue Oct 6, 2020 11:41 pm

BJK1 wrote:I’m curious if Weaver would take a flier on Josh Jackson? At only 23 yrs old, he still possesses the athleticism and length at the wing position that made him a lottery pick. He’s apparently grown up a bit since his time in PHX and made some real strides in his game playing for Memphis (both for their G-League team and on their regular roster). He had worked his way into their rotation during the spring and was starting to make some noise for them when the shutdown happened. For a rebuilding team, maybe he’s worth a look for the right price?


I honestly hope we throw him a small two year contract. Preferably like how the Knicks handed out two years where the 2nd year was only partially guaranteed. I think he has a real shot at being a redemption type story. Add the facts that he’s still 23, has good upside, and I’ve got to think how Memphis handled him had to humble him. Not to mention the pistons current state.
Crymson
Senior
Posts: 722
And1: 257
Joined: Apr 17, 2016

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#462 » by Crymson » Wed Oct 7, 2020 12:13 am

BJK1 wrote:I’m curious if Weaver would take a flier on Josh Jackson? At only 23 yrs old, he still possesses the athleticism and length at the wing position that made him a lottery pick. He’s apparently grown up a bit since his time in PHX and made some real strides in his game playing for Memphis (both for their G-League team and on their regular roster). He had worked his way into their rotation during the spring and was starting to make some noise for them when the shutdown happened. For a rebuilding team, maybe he’s worth a look for the right price?


Quite a few teams will give him a look for the right price. He'll have options. I suspect Detroit will be one of those, but there's no guarantee that he'll choose Detroit.
440BB
Sophomore
Posts: 217
And1: 134
Joined: Jul 13, 2017
     

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#463 » by 440BB » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:57 am

IF Weaver is convinced Jackson has matured enough, he's exactly the type of reclamation project we can use at this point. We can afford an incentive laden contract for a couple years. It all depends on that big IF.
edmunder_prc
Junior
Posts: 438
And1: 227
Joined: Dec 06, 2015
   

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#464 » by edmunder_prc » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:47 pm

440BB wrote:IF Weaver is convinced Jackson has matured enough, he's exactly the type of reclamation project we can use at this point. We can afford an incentive laden contract for a couple years. It all depends on that big IF.



Could he be a worse pick up than Brandon Knight, John McRae, Thon Maker, John Henson or Justin Patton (I didnt know he was on the roster?).

This team doesnt have talent. Doesnt have young talent. Old talented guys are among the least reliable in the whole league.

Get anyone who might have a chance. Anyone
Canadafan
Veteran
Posts: 2,673
And1: 881
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
       

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#465 » by Canadafan » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:15 pm

Bleacher Report trade for every team-

Detroit Pistons Receive: SG Zach LaVine

Chicago Bulls Receive: 2020 No. 7 overall pick, G/F Luke Kennard, G/F Tony Snell

The Pistons are stuck in a half-rebuild, dumping Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson but still hanging on to Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose.

Instead of selling off their remaining veterans, what if they decided to get competitive in a weak East?

LaVine, 25, would give Detroit an exciting shooting guard to build around, one who put up 25.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game this season. He, Griffin, Rose, Sekou Doumbouya and Christian Wood (if he re-signs) could actually form a playoff team.

The Bulls' new front office would then own the Nos. 4 and 7 overall picks in the draft, and Kennard (15.8 points per game, 39.9 percent from three) could take over LaVine's starting job on the wing.

Not saying I agree with this but just thought I'd report the "news"
rmfc
Analyst
Posts: 3,456
And1: 738
Joined: Jul 19, 2009
     

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#466 » by rmfc » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:12 pm

Canadafan wrote:Bleacher Report trade for every team-

Detroit Pistons Receive: SG Zach LaVine

Chicago Bulls Receive: 2020 No. 7 overall pick, G/F Luke Kennard, G/F Tony Snell

The Pistons are stuck in a half-rebuild, dumping Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson but still hanging on to Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose.

Instead of selling off their remaining veterans, what if they decided to get competitive in a weak East?

LaVine, 25, would give Detroit an exciting shooting guard to build around, one who put up 25.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game this season. He, Griffin, Rose, Sekou Doumbouya and Christian Wood (if he re-signs) could actually form a playoff team.

The Bulls' new front office would then own the Nos. 4 and 7 overall picks in the draft, and Kennard (15.8 points per game, 39.9 percent from three) could take over LaVine's starting job on the wing.

Not saying I agree with this but just thought I'd report the "news"


I like Lavine but from the Pistons perspective, this feels like that they'd be giving up a bit much.
Invictus88
Rookie
Posts: 1,188
And1: 385
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#467 » by Invictus88 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:34 pm

rmfc wrote:
Canadafan wrote:Bleacher Report trade for every team-

Detroit Pistons Receive: SG Zach LaVine

Chicago Bulls Receive: 2020 No. 7 overall pick, G/F Luke Kennard, G/F Tony Snell

The Pistons are stuck in a half-rebuild, dumping Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson but still hanging on to Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose.

Instead of selling off their remaining veterans, what if they decided to get competitive in a weak East?

LaVine, 25, would give Detroit an exciting shooting guard to build around, one who put up 25.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game this season. He, Griffin, Rose, Sekou Doumbouya and Christian Wood (if he re-signs) could actually form a playoff team.

The Bulls' new front office would then own the Nos. 4 and 7 overall picks in the draft, and Kennard (15.8 points per game, 39.9 percent from three) could take over LaVine's starting job on the wing.

Not saying I agree with this but just thought I'd report the "news"


I like Lavine but from the Pistons perspective, this feels like that they'd be giving up a bit much.


Nobody in non-Michigan media outlets cares at all about the Pistons or what's actually in their best interests. As a result you get articles like this where the author clearly thinks about it from the Bulls vantage point. The trade makes no sense for the Pistons.
mattao313
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,633
And1: 2,599
Joined: Aug 29, 2014
       

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#468 » by mattao313 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:37 pm

Blake is such a great player I'd still try to build a team around him if he wasn't so injury prone it really sucks for us.

The guy dragged a terrible team to the playoffs he is a baller wish he could help a contender out but he just is too hard to trade.
Championships
Crymson
Senior
Posts: 722
And1: 257
Joined: Apr 17, 2016

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#469 » by Crymson » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:42 pm

Canadafan wrote:Bleacher Report trade for every team-

Not saying I agree with this but just thought I'd report the "news"


It's speculation, not news, and BR is not a good source for NBA analysis---whether for the draft or otherwise.

mattao313 wrote:Blake is such a great player I'd still try to build a team around him if he wasn't so injury prone it really sucks for us.

The guy dragged a terrible team to the playoffs he is a baller wish he could help a contender out but he just is too hard to trade.


He's not good enough to be the #1 player on a contender, and leading a team to the 8th seed and a .500 record in a very weak conference is no great feat.
mattao313
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,633
And1: 2,599
Joined: Aug 29, 2014
       

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#470 » by mattao313 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:16 pm

Crymson wrote:
Canadafan wrote:Bleacher Report trade for every team-

Not saying I agree with this but just thought I'd report the "news"


It's speculation, not news, and BR is not a good source for NBA analysis---whether for the draft or otherwise.

mattao313 wrote:Blake is such a great player I'd still try to build a team around him if he wasn't so injury prone it really sucks for us.

The guy dragged a terrible team to the playoffs he is a baller wish he could help a contender out but he just is too hard to trade.


He's not good enough to be the #1 player on a contender, and leading a team to the 8th seed and a .500 record in a very weak conference is no great feat.

With the team he had yes it was we had 0 wing talent or other playmakers besides Reggie it was a carry job team was trash you see what they did this past season.

Sure maybe he isn't a true #1 but their aren't many in the league to begin with.
Championships
Crymson
Senior
Posts: 722
And1: 257
Joined: Apr 17, 2016

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#471 » by Crymson » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:34 pm

mattao313 wrote:With the team he had yes it was we had 0 wing talent or other playmakers besides Reggie it was a carry job team was trash you see what they did this past season.


There were only ten teams capable of making the playoffs in the east, and only five of those were actually good teams. The Pistons qualified on the second-to-last game of the season, and via a meandering route on which they accumulated a worse record against teams above .500 than any other playoff team in either conference. It was ugly.

More things than that went wrong in the past season, and the team didn't go totally into the gutter until after the trades and buyouts.

Sure maybe he isn't a true #1 but their aren't many in the league to begin with.


The issue with Blake is that he drags his team into an archaic form of offense, one that also simply must absolutely play around him. He comes with a significant opportunity cost that is not shared by the league's premiere scorers. It's a major aspect of why he's such a difficult fit into any team and so difficult to build around.
User avatar
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,268
And1: 390
Joined: Nov 28, 2002
Location: Westcoast

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#472 » by The_Irony » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:16 pm

This team gave up tobias, bradley, boban and a lottery pick for a guy who played 163 out of a possible 246 games his last 3 seasons before joining detroit. Pistons got fleeced so bad its insane to think about.
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,072
And1: 3,246
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#473 » by Pharaoh » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:22 pm

Forget Blake - we should build as if he's not a factor. Yes he'll play - some of the time. Yes he's got a few years left here. I'd be making it clear to him the most valuable thing he can do for us is be a veteran leader and mentor to the kids.

3 trades that I think are obviously beneficial for the other team as much if not more than for us:

1 - Rose to NY for DSJ, Knox & #27

Thibs and Rose reunite and it doesn't cost them much. It does free up more 2021 space and that should be their aim.

They move 2 young dudes that didn't work out for whatever reason for a late first while grabbing a vet leader who should be able to help Robinson, RJ, Frank & #8 improve in a lot of areas.

For us it's obvious: get 3 young kids and see if we can develop any of them.

2 - Kennard to PHI for Scott, #21 & #49

Philly acquire shooting at guard and it doesn't cost them all that much. They keep #34 & #36.

We get 2 young dudes that we hope we can develop and a 4/3 combo forward that is only there to match salary.

3 - Snell to GSW for their TPE & #48

They get a 3&D wing that is ready to play now for a mid 2nd

We get another shot at a kid we can develop.

Wood - Patton
Blake - Scott
Sekou - Knox
Svi - Thomas
Brown - DSJ

Plus #7, #21, #27, #48 & #49.

According to tankathon's mock:

#7 - Okoro F/G

#21 - Tyrell Terry PG

At #27 - Trey Jones PG but Desmond Bane SG is still on the board.

#48 - Malachi Flynn PG

#49 - Elijah Hughes G/F but we probably go big or draft a Euro to stash here.

Wood - Patton
Blake - Knox - Scott
Sekou - Okoro
Brown - Svi - Bane - Thomas
Terry - DSJ - Flynn

Invest heavily into player development!

Lots of those guys can play multiple positions too.

(Must be putting off housework to type all this)

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Invictus88
Rookie
Posts: 1,188
And1: 385
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#474 » by Invictus88 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:31 am

Pharaoh wrote:3 trades that I think are obviously beneficial for the other team as much if not more than for us:

1 - Rose to NY for DSJ, Knox & #27

Thibs and Rose reunite and it doesn't cost them much. It does free up more 2021 space and that should be their aim.

They move 2 young dudes that didn't work out for whatever reason for a late first while grabbing a vet leader who should be able to help Robinson, RJ, Frank & #8 improve in a lot of areas.

For us it's obvious: get 3 young kids and see if we can develop any of them.

So to me this basically translates to: Rose to NY for #27 and filler that doesn't come off the books for a couple more years.
DSJ and Knox both are damaged goods.

DSJ would be on his third team on his rookie contract. He was benched on the Knicks a year after suffering a back injury that limited him to 21 games the year before. This last year he shot 34% overall and 29% beyond the arc.
The Knicks are trying to hire a Kentucky assistant to try and resurrect the career of Knox after he hasn't lived up to his draft position (9th overall) his first two years in the league.

We need to aim a bit higher with Rose at the trade deadline. He's still a productive player who was wanted by teams down the stretch last year. Rose for a pick in the range of #27 through a high 2nd rounder and an expiring maybe?

Pharaoh wrote:2 - Kennard to PHI for Scott, #21 & #49

Philly acquire shooting at guard and it doesn't cost them all that much. They keep #34 & #36.

We get 2 young dudes that we hope we can develop and a 4/3 combo forward that is only there to match salary.


Waiting to see how Kennard plays up to the trade deadline is a risk I'm willing to take here. It's fun to have picks but this isn't a good draft class. Those aren't good picks. Kennard is in a contract year so he has every reason to play well up to the trade deadline. If he does then we can get more than what you are proposing.

Pharaoh wrote:3 - Snell to GSW for their TPE & #48

They get a 3&D wing that is ready to play now for a mid 2nd

We get another shot at a kid we can develop.

Snell is junk but he's an expiring. I have to believe we can get more out of him than a late 2nd rounder. We have plenty of space so I don't think that the TPE is really that compelling for us is it? Maybe we could flip it? But it has to be in a single player only trade right?

Does Snell's contract even work in the case you are proposing? GSW is already at the tax threshold and have been for a while. Don't they have to pay 3x for any dollars they acquire? Would they really want to pay 36 million dollars this year for Tony Snell?????
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,072
And1: 3,246
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#475 » by Pharaoh » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:49 am

Yeah Snell fits into their Iggy TPE. They'd have a little left over.

If memory serves we would renounce the TPE and it becomes more cap space as we're under the cap. That's how old TPE used to work if you were under the cap.

Doesn't work that way for GS as they're over it.

Those 3 deals are all about removing players that may contribute to winning while getting more "at bats" in a Draft so we can swing for the fences.

Also means we'd be so very young next season which is a recipe for a top 4 pick and the 2021 Draft looks loaded with wings.

Wood
Blake
2021 top 4 pick
Okoro
Brown

Sekou & Knox F
Terry & Flynn & DSJ G
Svi & Bane G/F
Patton F/C

Thomas & Scott likely not here for the 21-22 season.

Super young, very versatile, can give you multiple looks (big or small) and likely to land another top 5 pick in 2022 unless some of the kids break through huge.

A man can dream lol

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
chrbal
RealGM
Posts: 18,135
And1: 523
Joined: Mar 02, 2001
Contact:

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#476 » by chrbal » Thu Oct 8, 2020 1:37 am

Pharaoh wrote:
1 - Rose to NY for DSJ, Knox & #27

Thibs and Rose reunite and it doesn't cost them much. It does free up more 2021 space and that should be their aim.

They move 2 young dudes that didn't work out for whatever reason for a late first while grabbing a vet leader who should be able to help Robinson, RJ, Frank & #8 improve in a lot of areas.

For us it's obvious: get 3 young kids and see if we can develop any of them.



The only comment that I have is I think New York just offers Smith and 27. I think they either keep Knox or use him in a more Knicks favorable separate trade.
remi_222
Senior
Posts: 619
And1: 425
Joined: May 09, 2012
Location: Paris
   

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#477 » by remi_222 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 5:58 pm

what are your projections on Sekou this coming year ? Despite his 2 weeks strech full of hope, i think he started to think too much and wasnt playing with his instincts anymore.
Coach seems to be pretty happy abt the job he's done this summer ! What do you guys think ?
ByeByeDre
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 174
Joined: Apr 20, 2017
 

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#478 » by ByeByeDre » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:36 am

Pharaoh wrote:Forget Blake - we should build as if he's not a factor. Yes he'll play - some of the time. Yes he's got a few years left here. I'd be making it clear to him the most valuable thing he can do for us is be a veteran leader and mentor to the kids.

3 trades that I think are obviously beneficial for the other team as much if not more than for us:

1 - Rose to NY for DSJ, Knox & #27

Thibs and Rose reunite and it doesn't cost them much. It does free up more 2021 space and that should be their aim.

They move 2 young dudes that didn't work out for whatever reason for a late first while grabbing a vet leader who should be able to help Robinson, RJ, Frank & #8 improve in a lot of areas.

For us it's obvious: get 3 young kids and see if we can develop any of them.

2 - Kennard to PHI for Scott, #21 & #49

Philly acquire shooting at guard and it doesn't cost them all that much. They keep #34 & #36.

We get 2 young dudes that we hope we can develop and a 4/3 combo forward that is only there to match salary.

3 - Snell to GSW for their TPE & #48

They get a 3&D wing that is ready to play now for a mid 2nd

We get another shot at a kid we can develop.

Wood - Patton
Blake - Scott
Sekou - Knox
Svi - Thomas
Brown - DSJ

Plus #7, #21, #27, #48 & #49.

According to tankathon's mock:

#7 - Okoro F/G

#21 - Tyrell Terry PG

At #27 - Trey Jones PG but Desmond Bane SG is still on the board.

#48 - Malachi Flynn PG

#49 - Elijah Hughes G/F but we probably go big or draft a Euro to stash here.

Wood - Patton
Blake - Knox - Scott
Sekou - Okoro
Brown - Svi - Bane - Thomas
Terry - DSJ - Flynn

Invest heavily into player development!

Lots of those guys can play multiple positions too.

(Must be putting off housework to type all this)

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app


I like them all because it moves the Pistons in the direction they should go - young and stinky. I’d even be in favor of getting those teams’ 2021 picks.
User avatar
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 21,881
And1: 2,039
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Contact:

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#479 » by bstein14 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:08 am

Duncan Robinson also a RFA in summer 2021 and he's going to be a guy teams look at before Kennard most likely. Crazy how good he's been in these playoffs for the Heat.
ByeByeDre
Senior
Posts: 683
And1: 174
Joined: Apr 20, 2017
 

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#480 » by ByeByeDre » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:56 am

remi_222 wrote:what are your projections on Sekou this coming year ? Despite his 2 weeks strech full of hope, i think he started to think too much and wasnt playing with his instincts anymore.
Coach seems to be pretty happy abt the job he's done this summer ! What do you guys think ?


Sekou got fired by his agents this summer. Major red flag.

Return to Detroit Pistons