ImageImageImage

Game 56: Detroit Pistons (19-36) vs. Charlotte Hornets (16-36) - 7:00 PM ET

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Re: Game 56: Detroit Pistons (19-36) vs. Charlotte Hornets (16-36) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#61 » by rmfc » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:58 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
The Moose wrote:
Read on Twitter

why the hell is he saying this to the media, seems better served in a private conversation

Yeah thats not cool, He says alot of crappy stuff about Wood as well in pressers too often.

Is Casey trying to get fired just so he can get out of this mess?

Extremely disappointed with Sekou as well. Yet another Pistons draft bust in the making? :banghead: :banghead:
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#62 » by rmfc » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:59 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:Casey apparently said in the presser Sekou lacks passion, and Grant Long agreed.
I know that's just what I wanted to hear after trading Andre.

Damn it. Pistons just can't get right I swear.

*sigh*

:rofl2:

:banghead: :banghead:
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#63 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:01 pm

Snakebites wrote:I don't have a problem with a coach talking about a player negatively to the media from time to time. Sometimes it lights a fire under them. Sekou actually had a strong game after Casey said he was thinking about sending him back to the G-League.

This seemed a bit much though, and it's definitely not something a coach should be doing often.

A coach shouldn't say stuff to the media that he won't say to the player's face.
A player shouldn't have to watch ESPN to find out what his coach thinks of him.
A player shouldn't say stuff to the media that he won't say to his coach's face.
A coach shouldn't have to watch ESPN. :)
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#64 » by Billl » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:01 pm

davidvolumes wrote:
Billl wrote:
davidvolumes wrote:I surely hope sekou is mentally tough and strong. Because playing in this clown show would break the strongest person down. I do not see Casey as this great developer of talent

Besides his work in toronto, we've got svi, bruce, wood, luke and hopefully sekou on pretty good paths. That's not a bad track record.[/I agree you bring up some positive points about Casey to consider. What worries me about Casey is that he never stopped Andre from being a point guard. In what universe is Andre supposed to have a sequence where he dribbles the ball 10 times in a row surrounded by five defensive players. And why was Andre allowed to facilitate the offense when he had a net negative assist-to-turnover ratio. And it's also kind of scary to watch this young rookie running around in the offense like a chicken with his head cut off. Really touching the ball in the flow of the game. Is that Sekou or coaching?

Both - plus just the way the game is played right now with stretch bigs - plus us not having anyone out there concerned with creating for teammates.

For the sekou blame, look at how kief is operating in the same role. He's finding open space on his 3 by just floating into gaps. He gets post ups on simple dives. He sees the opening as the play develops and gets himself scoring chances and touches. That's just experience that sekou doesn't have yet. He's driving into traffic instead of playing in space, and frankly, his handles aren't good enough to get away with that and he's not strong enough to play through the type of contact that is going to generate.

The coach should run a couple plays to get him obviously open looks though. And our guards can't just play 1-on-1 for their own shot. If we want to simplify things for sekou and just let him play a role, you have to set him up in situations where he can just be a finisher.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,105

Post#65 » by NYPiston » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:23 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:Casey apparently said in the presser Sekou lacks passion, and Grant Long agreed.

I feel like he lacks basic fundamentals. He seems to want to be the guy but has nowhere near the awareness and control to do it.

He's 19. People, including Casey apparently, are expected too much of this kid too soon. He probably should be in the G League playing prime minutes right now. I think Sekou will show more passion when he becomes a bigger part of the offense.

The onus is on Sekou to put in the effort to get involved but Casey's stagnant offense which has Sekou flying to the perimeter hoping for one of their ball hog point guards to get him the ball isn't doing him any favors.
They need a young, more innovative coach. Enough with these dinosaurs already.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#66 » by flow » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:35 pm

We need a new coach. Casey is just as bad as SVG.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#67 » by El Chivo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:55 pm

SVG the coach was average, sometimes good.

Casey way worse.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
flow
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by flow » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:35 pm

davidvolumes wrote:
Billl wrote:
davidvolumes wrote:I surely hope sekou is mentally tough and strong. Because playing in this clown show would break the strongest person down. I do not see Casey as this great developer of talent

Besides his work in toronto, we've got svi, bruce, wood, luke and hopefully sekou on pretty good paths. That's not a bad track record.[/I agree you bring up some positive points about Casey to consider. What worries me about Casey is that he never stopped Andre from being a point guard. In what universe is Andre supposed to have a sequence where he dribbles the ball 10 times in a row surrounded by five defensive players. And why was Andre allowed to facilitate the offense when he had a net negative assist-to-turnover ratio. And it's also kind of scary to watch this young rookie running around in the offense like a chicken with his head cut off. Really touching the ball in the flow of the game. Is that Sekou or coaching?

That's the problem with Casey (one of the problems). There is no coaching. No system. It's anarchy out there. Is it too much to ask of this organization to bring in a coach who actually runs a structured offense? SVG to Casey has been a seamless transition, unfortunately.
flow
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by flow » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:50 pm

Billl wrote:Sekou needs a pg out there with him. A real pg, not just a scorer who is too short to play SG.

This was my very issue with making RJ a starting point guard in 2015. And we're still dealing with it.

Again, I'd move Luke over to the 1 and let him run the offense. It seems so obvious to me. He's a natural.

Return to Detroit Pistons