ImageImageImage

Game 59: Detroit Pistons (19-39) @ Portland Trail Blazers (25-32) - 9:00 PM ET

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Re: Game 59: Detroit Pistons (19-39) @ Portland Trail Blazers (25-32) - 9:00 PM ET 

Post#41 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:02 am

The coach and players aren’t in on the tank. We’re just really this bad.

The buyouts can’t have been great for team morale. Coaches and players don’t tank, but they do react when the front office throws in the towel. It’s hard to perform your best when you know there’s a vote of no confidence from higher up and they don’t even want you to win.

Waiving or giving away Dre, Reggie, and Morris is a pretty loud and clear message- you guys suck and we’d rather just lose more games.

Tanking is an ugly business. And it doesn’t always work. Still, it’s really the only possible way out of the pit we’ve been stuck in.

We clamored for it and it’s here. But yeah, not easy to see.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Re: Game 59: Detroit Pistons (19-39) @ Portland Trail Blazers (25-32) - 9:00 PM ET 

Post#42 » by BDM22 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:11 am

Snakebites wrote:The coach and players aren’t in on the tank. We’re just really this bad.

The buyouts can’t have been great for team morale. Coaches and players don’t tank, but they do react when the front office throws in the towel. It’s hard to perform your best when you know there’s a vote of no confidence from higher up and they don’t even want you to win.

Waiving or giving away Dre, Reggie, and Morris is a pretty loud and clear message- you guys suck and we’d rather just lose more games.

Tanking is an ugly business. And it doesn’t always work. Still, it’s really the only possible way out of the pit we’ve been stuck in.

The only real part that stings is having a guy like Rose out there spending his final years on a team that doesn't want to win. Dude seemed super depressed in the post-game interview.

If he had asked for a trade I would have definitely felt better about the whole thing.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#43 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:24 am

BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:The coach and players aren’t in on the tank. We’re just really this bad.

The only real part that stings is having a guy like Rose out there spending his final years on a team that doesn't want to win. Dude seemed super depressed in the post-game interview.

If he had asked for a trade I would have definitely felt better about the whole thing.

Yeah, one has to wonder if he’d have felt the same way about staying if he knew the other moves that would be made.

Either way it’s just 25 games. Could very well be moved for peanuts in the offseason if that’s what he wants.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#44 » by El Chivo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:55 am

Casey is terrible.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#45 » by davidvolumes » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:16 am

What is it exactly Casey is doing to develop Sekou???
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#46 » by Moses ShamMoses » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:04 pm

Why isn't C Wood starting?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using RealGM mobile app
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#47 » by Canadafan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Snakebites wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Yeah, one has to wonder if he’d have felt the same way about staying if he knew the other moves that would be made.

Either way it’s just 25 games. Could very well be moved for peanuts in the offseason if that’s what he wants.

Ya I just felt like he had a little pull in staying. Probably didn't want to uproot midseason and hopefully we trade him end of season for a pick in this years draft
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#48 » by MotownMadness » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:33 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:Why isn't C Wood starting?

Starting to think they were trying to keep his stats down before FA but he still comes up big from the bench as well.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#49 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:47 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Moses ShamMoses wrote:Why isn't C Wood starting?

Starting to think they were trying to keep his stats down before FA but he still comes up bog from the bench as well.

Nah. He still got the most minutes as a big by far.
sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Post#50 » by sludgefoot » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:52 pm

davidvolumes wrote:What is it exactly Casey is doing to develop Sekou???
Zero, nothing! Same confidence boost he gave Kennard. One mistake and Kennard was pulled. But 2nd round Brown has had 2 years of full support. Yet, other teams were only interested in 2 players.. Rose and Kennard. No team(s) lined up for Svi, Brown. But many on this forum think getting rid of Kennard is the future. Put Kennard on a good team and he is a key contributor, put Brown on a good team and he sits the bench.

Sent from my SM-A205U using RealGM mobile app
davidvolumes
Junior

Post#51 » by davidvolumes » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:16 pm

In retrospect it seems to be a bad decision to have brought Sekou up from the g league. I see plenty of potential but he is still raw and what he needs is plenty of playing time. He needs to be drilled in every aspect of the fundamentals of the game. It doesn't appear he's getting the proper coaching at this level for whatever reason. He's jacking up threes like they're going out of style and since I've been watching him I have seen him shoot one mid-range jumper. I don't think it would be unreasonable to send him back down to the G League to take the pressure off him because this obviously isn't working for him. For one thing he's not receiving the ball where he's comfortable to make a move. Just my opinion
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,377

Post#52 » by Billl » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:19 pm

sludgefoot wrote:
Zero, nothing! Same confidence boost he gave Kennard. One mistake and Kennard was pulled. But 2nd round Brown has had 2 years of full support. Yet, other teams were only interested in 2 players.. Rose and Kennard. No team(s) lined up for Svi, Brown. But many on this forum think getting rid of Kennard is the future. Put Kennard on a good team and he is a key contributor, put Brown on a good team and he sits the bench.

Not sure what else you want from Sekou at this point. He's the youngest guy in the league and he's super raw. Once Casey put him in the rotation, he's been playing 24 mpg. When he gives good defensive effort, he gets more minutes.
davidvolumes
Junior

Post#53 » by davidvolumes » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:17 pm

I just want to see him progress in his development.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#54 » by Moses ShamMoses » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:29 pm

I've been happy with Sekou overall for a 19 year old kid. I do think we brought him up from the G-league a little early in his development but I doubt it hurts him long-term. He is probably a little frustrated right now.

What is a better path for a rookie's development? Struggle in the NBA against better competition vs play well and build confidence in the G-league?
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#55 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:54 pm

davidvolumes wrote:In retrospect it seems to be a bad decision to have brought Sekou up from the g league. I see plenty of potential but he is still raw and what he needs is plenty of playing time. He needs to be drilled in every aspect of the fundamentals of the game. It doesn't appear he's getting the proper coaching at this level for whatever reason. He's jacking up threes like they're going out of style and since I've been watching him I have seen him shoot one mid-range jumper. I don't think it would be unreasonable to send him back down to the G League to take the pressure off him because this obviously isn't working for him. For one thing he's not receiving the ball where he's comfortable to make a move. Just my opinion

Im really happy with the way Sekou plays bball. He is super raw but its great he doesnt consider shooting a mid-range. If he has the ball he should be shooting a 3 or driving to the basket. Once he figures out how to drive his length, speed and power will make it hard for people to stay in front of him.

If he was in GR no one can guard him, so he isnt going to be shooting mid-range shots. Just doing the same thing, firing away at 3s and driving, plus probably more fast break stuff since there are a lot of turn overs in the G league.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#56 » by hoophabit » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:54 pm

Sekou doesn't appear to be lacking confidence. He does appear to defer to the older players at times.

I think Casey is down with the tank. Seemed to me Wood got a "rest" right at the critical point in the 4th Q to lose the game. Maybe the team is going the route so many have wanted for so long?
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#57 » by DCintheD » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:17 pm

BDM22 wrote:

I don’t understand why he wanted to stay here. It’s not like he would’ve rode the bench for whoever traded for him. Ffs Reggie started for the clippers the other day..
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#58 » by DCintheD » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:22 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:I've been happy with Sekou overall for a 19 year old kid. I do think we brought him up from the G-league a little early in his development but I doubt it hurts him long-term. He is probably a little frustrated right now.

What is a better path for a rookie's development? Struggle in the NBA against better competition vs play well and build confidence in the G-league?

I’m not worried about Sekou either. Id rather him struggle a bit in the real game than dominate against weak competition. This is finally the perfect situation for developing players :pray:. He just needs positive reinforcement and the ability to play thru mistakes.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#59 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:13 pm

24 minutes is plenty of time for as how bad Sekou has been playing. Letting players make mistakes doesn’t always result in learning from them...it can also instill bad habits.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#60 » by Pharaoh » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:32 pm

sludgefoot wrote:

Coaches will always play guys who do the little things and get after it on defense.

There's a lot Brown needs to improve on but same goes for Luke, Sekou and everyone else.

Based on what I've seen Brown gets all the minutes he can handle due to his effort on both ends.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Return to Detroit Pistons