ImageImageImage

Good offense better than good defense?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Good offense better than good defense? 

Post#1 » by sludgefoot » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:55 pm

A good offense is the best defense. The meaning is if you're on the offensive ( going forward) , the others are on the defensive (going backward). Additionally if your offense is overwhelming no one will want to oppose it. Therefore you avoid conflict.

Playing pure defense allows your opposition to control the situation - going on the offense forces them to react to you which means you are more in control of the situation.

Sent from my SM-A205U using RealGM mobile app
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Re: Good offense better than good defense? 

Post#2 » by Billl » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:40 pm

This isn't football. You can't dominate time of possession etc. The other team is going to get the ball back every time, so you better be playing on both ends or you have little chance of winning.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#3 » by Pharaoh » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:09 am

Gotta play both ends, especially in today's league.

Some nights you'll get blown off the floor as your opponent drains 3 after 3 after 3...or your 3s aren't dropping.

The other thing to consider is:

Over the next 5 years we're (potentially) going up against the Bucks, Sixers, Celtics, Miami, Pacers...

What kind of roster stands the best chance of beating all of them?

A strong defensive team isn't going to cut it. Then again I doubt a poor defensive team could hold their own, especially in a 7 game series.

All present different match ups and over the next 5 years the league will become even more "positionless"

As a organisation at the "bottom" we should be thinking beyond the here and now, looking further down the road and start putting pieces in place to become a real elite team in 3 to 5 years.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#4 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:12 pm

The analytics are pointing to offense being more important than defense, but I wouldn't think you'd want to build a team from the ground up without some sort of defensive foundation. Unless you're tanking, though, you definitely want to avoid the situation where you have both bad defense and lousy floor spacing. I'd give up one to get the other, just so the team could function on one side of the ball or the other.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#5 » by Invictus88 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:57 pm

The original post just seems like word vomit.

sludgefoot wrote:A good offense is the best defense. The meaning is if you're on the offensive ( going forward) , the others are on the defensive (going backward). Additionally if your offense is overwhelming no one will want to oppose it. Therefore you avoid conflict.

Except for the fact that by rule each team gets the ball on alternating possessions... Are you expecting teams to just cover their eyes for the 50% of the game they aren't on offense to "avoid conflict"?

sludgefoot wrote:Playing pure defense allows your opposition to control the situation - going on the offense forces them to react to you which means you are more in control of the situation.

You can't play pure defense; because you have the ball half the time and there's this thing called a shot clock that expires every 24 seconds...

You might have better luck taking this theory to a soccer board...
sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Post#6 » by sludgefoot » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:33 am

It appears you are a watcher/critic and not a player. The stands are full of them.
Invictus88 wrote:The original post just seems like word vomit.

sludgefoot wrote:A good offense is the best defense. The meaning is if you're on the offensive ( going forward) , the others are on the defensive (going backward). Additionally if your offense is overwhelming no one will want to oppose it. Therefore you avoid conflict.

Except for the fact that by rule each team gets the ball on alternating possessions... Are you expecting teams to just cover their eyes for the 50% of the game they aren't on offense to "avoid conflict"?

sludgefoot wrote:Playing pure defense allows your opposition to control the situation - going on the offense forces them to react to you which means you are more in control of the situation.

You can't play pure defense; because you have the ball half the time and there's this thing called a shot clock that expires every 24 seconds...

You might have better luck taking this theory to a soccer board...

Sent from my SM-A205U using RealGM mobile app
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#7 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:02 pm

sludgefoot wrote:A good ass is the best kick. The meaning is if you're on the ass ( going forward) , the others are on the kick (going backward). Additionally if your ass is overwhelming no one will want to oppose it. Therefore you avoid conflict.

Playing pure kick allows your opposition to control the situation - going on the ass forces them to react to you which means you are more in control of the situation.

Kickass thread!
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#8 » by Manocad » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:38 pm

Good rum vs good whiskey is a better topic.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#9 » by jakebernat » Sun Mar 1, 2020 2:10 am

Manocad wrote:Good rum vs good whiskey is a better topic.

whiskey 7 days a week, twice on sundays.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#10 » by Manocad » Sun Mar 1, 2020 8:30 pm

jakebernat wrote:
Manocad wrote:Good rum vs good whiskey is a better topic.

whiskey 7 days a week, twice on sundays.

Now I am a big time bourbon guy but I will say this having done a fair amount of world travel...we do NOT get good, dark sipping rum in the United States and I don’t know why because it’s f***ing delicious.

Remarkably enough, the bar in which I first experienced delicious rum was in Prague—the Rum House. They currently have over 700 rums, and when I was last there it was 990.

Bars in central Mexico generally have a small availability, and pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean you can get it.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#11 » by tmorgan » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:20 am

Good dark rum is the tits
Manocad
RealGM

Post#12 » by Manocad » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:14 am

tmorgan wrote:Good dark rum is the tits

Yeah, a lot of people I’ve raved about it to say “Oh yeah, I’ve had Bacardi Dark/Myers Dark”...yeah—NOT the same thing at all.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#13 » by Canadafan » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:47 pm

Manocad wrote:

Yeah, a lot of people I’ve raved about it to say “Oh yeah, I’ve had Bacardi Dark/Myers Dark”...yeah—NOT the same thing at all.

Mmmm this is a good topic. Give me a name or two that I could buy. Not crazy expensive preferably
Manocad
RealGM

Post#14 » by Manocad » Tue Mar 3, 2020 2:51 pm

Canadafan wrote:
Manocad wrote:

Mmmm this is a good topic. Give me a name or two that I could buy. Not crazy expensive preferably

Havana Club 7 Year is a good start; it's pretty readily available. However it is definitely the bottom end of "good" dark sipping rum. Goes about $30 a fifth.

One brand I remember from the bar in Prague is Ron Jeremy's. Because, well, it's Ron Jeremy and his picture is on the bottle. I know Appleton Estate is pretty popular but I've never had it so I can't judge. The rest of them all have Spanish names for the most part.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#15 » by MotownMadness » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:50 pm

Manocad wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
Manocad wrote:Yeah, a lot of people I’ve raved about it to say “Oh yeah, I’ve had Bacardi Dark/Myers Dark”...yeah—NOT the same thing at all.

Havana Club 7 Year is a good start; it's pretty readily available. However it is definitely the bottom end of "good" dark sipping rum. Goes about $30 a fifth.

One brand I remember from the bar in Prague is Ron Jeremy's. Because, well, it's Ron Jeremy and his picture is on the bottle. I know Appleton Estate is pretty popular but I've never had it so I can't judge. The rest of them all have Spanish names for the most part.

Thoughts on Honey Jack? I’ve been loving the stuff. Smooth and tasty with the same Jack kick.

Bacrardi is my one drink I can’t do. I got so sick as a teen off Bacardi Limon I still can’t touch the stuff lol
Manocad
RealGM

Post#16 » by Manocad » Tue Mar 3, 2020 6:30 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

Thoughts on Honey Jack? I’ve been loving the stuff. Smooth and tasty with the same Jack kick.

Bacrardi is my one drink I can’t do. I got so sick as a teen off Bacardi Limon I still can’t touch the stuff lol

I went through a Wild Turkey American Honey kick 7-8 years ago but have never had Honey Jack. I've drifted away from the sweeter stuff and even stopped drinking Manhattans due to the sweet vermouth. Now I just drink bourbon on the rocks.

White rum like Bacardi is a TOTALLY different experience from good dark sipping rums. I was the same way--just not a rum guy, i.e. not into rum and coke, not really wild about daiquiris, etc. But I love good dark sipping rum; it's like a liqueur.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#17 » by tmorgan » Wed Mar 4, 2020 8:47 am

Drinking stories are good. I have a “can’t even smell it without getting sick” reaction to Southern Comfort, based on a college spring break trip that went awry.

Sadly, I don’t know any dark rum brands. Local stuff in Jamaica was good — they’ll give you Bacardi if you let them because they know their stuff is way better.

And lolz at Ron Jeremy brand. I hope they don’t use an “unusual” bottle mold.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#18 » by Manocad » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:10 pm

tmorgan wrote:Drinking stories are good. I have a “can’t even smell it without getting sick” reaction to Southern Comfort, based on a college spring break trip that went awry.

Sadly, I don’t know any dark rum brands. Local stuff in Jamaica was good — they’ll give you Bacardi if you let them because they know their stuff is way better.

And lolz at Ron Jeremy brand. I hope they don’t use an “unusual” bottle mold.

This was from the bar in Prague a handful of years ago.

Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#19 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:04 pm

Stan Van Gundy with hair... wow.
And yes, I know which Hedgehog that is.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#20 » by tmorgan » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:11 am

Ron De Jeremy. Big lolz.

Return to Detroit Pistons