NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,083

Re: Would you max Ingram? 

Post#41 » by NYPiston » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:49 pm

Billl wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
Billl wrote:
So, you want to treadmill for 2 more years, and then what? No good picks. Cap space goes to sign the young guys on the roster - or we lose them for nothing. No real way to add talent. Back on the treadmill.

Uh, Ingram is "real talent". You tank so you can draft a player as good as him.
I don't understand why you think it's a better idea long term to tank for a player who MIGHT be as good as Ingram when you can actually sign a player like Ingram who can be a building block for your team for the next 5+ years.

I hate to break it to you guys but the Pistons aren't getting off that treadmill next season if Blake is healthy. Even if Blake is 75% of what he was two years ago, this team isn't tanking and I expect management's moves to reflect that as they try to compete next season. Holding on to Rose was Step 1 of that mindset instead of selling high on him and kicking off a real rebuild. Just look at the Windhorst tweet "Rose was an important part of their plans for next season and was not available for trade". You're not going full rebuild when a 30+ year old is an important part of your plan and your other 30+ year old who is your best player is coming back.

I don't understand how you can't seem to recognize the value of multiple high picks and cap space vs being a treadmill team.

Did you not read any of my post? You didn't address any of my points whatsoever.

I understand the value of high picks and I've been a big advocate of them going into rebuild mode for years but I place greater value on a high scoring 23 year old player who could be on the verge of being a star. What's your opinion on Ingram? You don't think he's worth much? Is he too old to be a building block for a rebuild?

You also seem to think the team is guaranteed to tank next season. That is FAR from a guarantee and some of the media pundits seem to agree.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#42 » by vege » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:16 pm

pistons4ever wrote:Fact is...we have woods bird rights..so we can spend our 35 mio in space...and can then sign wood and exceed the cap...so it is possible and a Team

Wood /Maker/3rd Veteran
Griffin/Sekou/Tillman(2nd round)
Ingram/Snell/Valentine
Kennard/Brown/Thomas
1st pick/Rose/Bone

Doesnt Sound so bad

If I'm not mistaken we have his early bird rights, so we can only offer him a small salary based on that. We'll need to use cap space to retain Wood.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#43 » by 440BB » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:24 pm

If I was Ingram I wouldn't want to come to the Pistons at this point in time, wasting a couple years in a small market town with a losing team. It's too soon IMO.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
potatoaim
Senior
And1: 317

Post#44 » by potatoaim » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:07 pm

People acting like Ingram is 27+ or something. Dude will be 23 next year and is turning into the type of player you build around. If you have the chance to add a guy like that, you do it. If Blake is deemed healthy, they arent going to tank. People need to accept that. Thing is, NO will match, so this is all moot anyway.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#45 » by Billl » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:21 pm

NYPiston wrote:
Billl wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
Uh, Ingram is "real talent". You tank so you can draft a player as good as him.
I don't understand why you think it's a better idea long term to tank for a player who MIGHT be as good as Ingram when you can actually sign a player like Ingram who can be a building block for your team for the next 5+ years.

I hate to break it to you guys but the Pistons aren't getting off that treadmill next season if Blake is healthy. Even if Blake is 75% of what he was two years ago, this team isn't tanking and I expect management's moves to reflect that as they try to compete next season. Holding on to Rose was Step 1 of that mindset instead of selling high on him and kicking off a real rebuild. Just look at the Windhorst tweet "Rose was an important part of their plans for next season and was not available for trade". You're not going full rebuild when a 30+ year old is an important part of your plan and your other 30+ year old who is your best player is coming back.

I don't understand how you can't seem to recognize the value of multiple high picks and cap space vs being a treadmill team.

Did you not read any of my post? You didn't address any of my points whatsoever.

I understand the value of high picks and I've been a big advocate of them going into rebuild mode for years but I place greater value on a high scoring 23 year old player who could be on the verge of being a star. What's your opinion on Ingram? You don't think he's worth much? Is he too old to be a building block for a rebuild?

You also seem to think the team is guaranteed to tank next season. That is FAR from a guarantee and some of the media pundits seem to agree.

You don't seem to be making any points other than "Gores sucks, so may as well treadmill". We cut reggie. Traded dre. If anyone was willing to take blake, he would be gone. If shows anything next season, we'll dump him. This is a rebuild.

As for Ingram, I like him. He's not a top 5 guy in my opinion, but he's all-star level over a bunch of years. The problem is he's too good already. We would move back to that bubble team status. From there, we have no way to get up or down. If we had 3 years of top 5 picks on the roster right now, I'd be all in favor of signing him and letting them grow together, but we don't. We've got ???. The only thing of real value we have to rebuild is our own picks, and signing ingram instantly makes those much less valuable. The chances of building a championship level team with 3 top 5 picks and cap space >>>>>> ingram + 3 picks in the teens.
pistons4ever
Junior
And1: 108

Post#46 » by pistons4ever » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:46 pm

There are too many statistics....the people Who say we need At least 3 top 5 picks plus this..plus that to be contenders...if it would be so easy there would be mir contenders......

LANGLOIS
three years. Wood will be an unrestricted free agent on June 30 and the Pistons have his early Bird rights. The advantage in that primarily comes down to meaning they can exceed the salary cap to retain him. So, in theory, the Pistons can use their cap space, which should be around $35 million, on other players – either free agents or absorbing contracts in trade – and then go over the cap to sign Wood.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#47 » by DetroitSho » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:00 am

pistons4ever wrote:There are too many statistics....the people Who say we need At least 3 top 5 picks plus this..plus that to be contenders...if it would be so easy there would be mir contenders......

LANGLOIS
three years. Wood will be an unrestricted free agent on June 30 and the Pistons have his early Bird rights. The advantage in that primarily comes down to meaning they can exceed the salary cap to retain him. So, in theory, the Pistons can use their cap space, which should be around $35 million, on other players – either free agents or absorbing contracts in trade – and then go over the cap to sign Wood.
EARLY Bird rights. Langlois is not telling the complete story.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#48 » by Pharaoh » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:38 am

pistons4ever wrote:There are too many statistics....the people Who say we need At least 3 top 5 picks plus this..plus that to be contenders...if it would be so easy there would be mir contenders......

LANGLOIS

Early Bird Rights aren't the same as Bird Rights.

99.9% sure we can't use our cap space and then go over it to retain Wood. We'd have to use some of it on him first.

Ingram's first year max is $29 mil...doesn't leave much for Wood.

IF we could do it I'm all for it as I believe Ingram + Wood + Sekou + Luke + Brown + Svi + top 6 2020 pick is a good base to start from.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
pistons4ever
Junior
And1: 108

Post#49 » by pistons4ever » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:39 am

ontracts of three years in length are eligible for a contract extension. The Pistons inherited the contract Wood brought with him from New Orleans when they claimed him off waivers last summer and it wasn’t for three years. Wood will be an unrestricted free agent on June 30 and the Pistons have his early Bird rights. The advantage in that primarily comes down to meaning they can exceed the salary cap to retain him. So, in theory, the Pistons can use their cap space, which should be around $35 million, on other players – either free agents or absorbing contracts in trade – and then go over the cap to sign Wood.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#50 » by DetroitSho » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:57 pm

pistons4ever wrote:ontracts of three years in length are eligible for a contract extension. The Pistons inherited the contract Wood brought with him from New Orleans when they claimed him off waivers last summer and it wasn’t for three years. Wood will be an unrestricted free agent on June 30 and the Pistons have his early Bird rights. The advantage in that primarily comes down to meaning they can exceed the salary cap to retain him. So, in theory, the Pistons can use their cap space, which should be around $35 million, on other players – either free agents or absorbing contracts in trade – and then go over the cap to sign Wood.
At this point how about you look up early bird rights and how they work.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#51 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:19 pm

For sure, if he wanted to sign with us it would be the right move.

I agree with the other posters here that with Rose and Blake, we aren't looking to be on a multi-year tank fest even though that might give us the best chance of really turning things around and landing top talent in the draft. We have one shot this year and next year we're back in the lower seed playoff hunt.

The only thing that would make me think that isn't the path is if Blake or Rose are traded before the draft.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,456

Post#52 » by Canadafan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:08 pm

bstein14 wrote:For sure, if he wanted to sign with us it would be the right move.

I agree with the other posters here that with Rose and Blake, we aren't looking to be on a multi-year tank fest even though that might give us the best chance of really turning things around and landing top talent in the draft. We have one shot this year and next year we're back in the lower seed playoff hunt.

The only thing that would make me think that isn't the path is if Blake or Rose are traded before the draft.

I would bet they totally trade Rose at draft time and Blake before next deadline.
the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#53 » by the_l_train » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:04 am

If he is actually considering leaving New Orleans, we gotta pounce on that. He needs to be the face of a franchise and will forever be in Zions shadow if he stays. Unfortunately...I think he stays.

He is the closest thing to the next Durant, so this is a no-brainer if the opportunity is there. Weird way to kick off this rebuild, but guys like him don't come around often.

Wood
Sekou
Ingram
Kennard
LaMelo

I don't hate it. Maybe Kennard pulls some strings and brings his Duke homie where he really belongs.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,340

Post#54 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:21 am

Canadafan wrote:
bstein14 wrote:For sure, if he wanted to sign with us it would be the right move.

I would bet they totally trade Rose at draft time and Blake before next deadline.

Brian Windhorst of ESPN:

From what I understand, when the Lakers called the Pistons and expressed an interest in trading for Derrick Rose, the Pistons said, “Hey, we appreciate you calling. But we’re not trading him. Dwane Casey likes him. We think he’s going to be important for us next year.” It’s not even about what the Lakers offered, it wasn’t enough. He wasn’t available.

Think were holding Rose.

Just to remind everyone Ingram is restricted. This means the Pels can and will match any offer he gets. It makes for good conversation but in NO WAY is he ever going to be leaving NO this offseason.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#55 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:53 pm

Ingram staying with the Pelicans is what the Pistons hope will happen in 4 years, approximately.

But the Pistons are still without a clear star (Zion) and a bunch of talented other guys, Ingram, Hart, Ball, etc.

The cupboard is bare, right down to the wood, not even some cupboard paper down. Watching goods teams, ie, Bucks, Raptors, LAL, LAC, Denver, compared to them the Pistons are downright horrible.

Need to tank for 2 years and develop, trade Rose for second rounders and try to develop them over the next two years. Hope SOMEONE turns into a clear star on the team. THEN hope to sign a good free agent.

Years away.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#56 » by Manocad » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:25 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Ingram staying with the Pelicans is what the Pistons hope will happen in 4 years, approximately.

But the Pistons are still without a clear star (Zion) and a bunch of talented other guys, Ingram, Hart, Ball, etc.

The cupboard is bare, right down to the wood, not even some cupboard paper down. Watching goods teams, ie, Bucks, Raptors, LAL, LAC, Denver, compared to them the Pistons are downright horrible.

Need to tank for 2 years and develop, trade Rose for second rounders and try to develop them over the next two years. Hope SOMEONE turns into a clear star on the team. THEN hope to sign a good free agent.

Years away.

That’s where I’m at on this topic. Adding a max player to a nearly bottom of the league team can immediately take the team from a top 3 draft pick to—you got it—right back to where this team already was in today’s EC.

You have reduced opportunity to build around a max player when you start with a max player because that means your high draft picks go bye bye.

Let the kids develop. Get another top 5 draft pick. Then maybe a top 10 pick the year after that. Maybe then the team is winning 30-35 games a year the right way, maybe even getting hot and beating contenders here and there. THEN get the max player, sign the best FA who fills a need with remaining cap space and make a real run.
sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Post#57 » by sludgefoot » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:52 pm

How about Orko for Brown?
Pharaoh wrote:Don't think adding him and a top 5 pick in this Draft makes us as competitive as some of you believe.

Wood, Maker, Hall
(Griffin), Sekou
Ingram, Snell, King
Luke, Svi, Thomas
Brown, Rose, Bone

Is still a terrible roster. Assuming we add Hayes, Okoro or Okongwu via the Draft doesn't really move the needle next year.

Let's say we Draft Okongwu and trade Luke for Okoro...(pipe dream).

Long term:

C: Wood
F: Sekou
F: Ingram
G: Okoro
G: Brown
6: Okongwu F/C
7: Svi G/F
8: Bone G

Likely won't blossom until Blake is gone anyway

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Sent from my SM-A205U using RealGM mobile app