ImageImageImage

Nets want to use young talent in trade for 3rd star - Blake???

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Nets want to use young talent in trade for 3rd star - Blake??? 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:12 am

Headline in the wiretap, that the Nets want to add a third star.

Spencer D is someone we reportedly have had interest in, and Blake is someone that is going to come cheaper than guys like Beal or other more sought after options.

Money wise it might be tough to make work without a third team as Blake has a large contract it would have to be a 4 for 1 if it was just the two of us making the deal.

Does Spencer have more trade value than Blake currently?
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Re: Nets want to use young talent in trade for 3rd star - Blake??? 

Post#2 » by Invictus88 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:17 am

Blake has negative trade value right now. He has an albatross of a contract and nobody even knows if he can play or for how long...

We'd have to include a ton of assets in any trade to rid ourselves of his contract. It's the exact wrong thing to do for a rebuilding team.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#3 » by Laimbeer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:59 am

We're fresh out of those.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#4 » by DCintheD » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:30 pm

Even if he were healthy, Blake is a bad fit for just about any team. You need to build around him to get the most out of him. He’s not a piece you can just add anywhere.

The fact he’s injured and has about 75 mil on his contract makes him impossible to move. Need to just sit tight and wait for him to expire.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#5 » by Billl » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:37 pm

Of course spencer has more trade value than blake. Did you miss this season or something?
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#6 » by Manocad » Wed Apr 1, 2020 12:08 pm

The best option with Blake given that the Pistons now seem committed to a rebuild is to try to keep him healthy, i.e. keep his minutes limited, and ride out his contract. Period.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#7 » by Billl » Wed Apr 1, 2020 1:44 pm

Assuming we would need to include assets to move him? Sure. Don't do that. If he shows anything next season, then our options might change a bit, so who knows. A healthy-ish blake on a 1.5 year contract is a lot more moveable and then he's a massive expiring the following season.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#8 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Apr 1, 2020 5:24 pm

I doubt this gets done. Blake was horrible and looked washed when he played this season. Now, it might be recoverable but not sure a championship team is taking that risk. KD will also play more 4 recovering from the Achilles. Would love to get Spencer back though.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#9 » by Invictus88 » Wed Apr 1, 2020 8:46 pm

Manocad wrote:The best option with Blake given that the Pistons now seem committed to a rebuild is to ride out his contract. Period.

Fixed. I don't really see a lot of value even if he shows reasonably well next year. Even then he is way too big of an injury and age risk.

His contract is so huge that its difficult to find situations where a team would actually be worse off and wanting to unload that much capital to make the numbers work. The only scenario that comes to mind is if the Wizards wanted to dump Wall 1 year early (so we'd eat an astronomical 47.3 million in return during the 22-23 season). They would have to give us a TON. I don't see it happening unless Wall gets really bad in their locker room.

The only remote chance I really see of moving him is at the trade deadline of his last year with us in 21-22; when a team only has to eat a prorated portion of 1 year. Buckle up folks. It's going to be a long ride.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Post#10 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 1, 2020 11:15 pm

Per HoopsHype, Blake's remaining salary is $36,810,996 next year and $38,957,028 in his final season.

I totally agree with earlier comments that we need to get him healthy. I don't think earlier this year he showed signs of being washed up - I think he was still playing injured. I hope that's the case and he can return to AllStar form next year. If he is playing well then we might be able to move him at the trade deadline and not have to move any assets along with him. Obviously that's what we SHOULD do, not sure if we CAN do it, certainly depends how well he comes back early next year.

Possible trade partners? I know everything is a long shot, but WTF, got a lot of time on my hands :-)
Charlotte - dumb team, Batum, Zeller and Rozier all got big contracts, maybe?
Cleveland - dumb team, trade for Love? Longer deal for us but maybe?
New York - dumb team(seeing a trend here), Randle, Noah and (more) garbage?
Washington - it would have to include Wall and I'd rather just eat Blakes contract than to touch Walls.
Memphis - Deing, Winslow and Waiters? They would actually get some cap relief and we'd trim a year off of Blake's deal.
Oklahoma City - we would have to take back CP3. But Blake is from Oklahoma City, so there is a marketing aspect to it

Yikes, that's the best I can come up with. I guess we'd better expect Blake to stay around for at least another year.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#11 » by bstein14 » Thu Apr 2, 2020 2:05 am

theBigLip wrote:Per HoopsHype, Blake's remaining salary is $36,810,996 next year and $38,957,028 in his final season.

I totally agree with earlier comments that we need to get him healthy. I don't think earlier this year he showed signs of being washed up - I think he was still playing injured. I hope that's the case and he can return to AllStar form next year. If he is playing well then we might be able to move him at the trade deadline and not have to move any assets along with him. Obviously that's what we SHOULD do, not sure if we CAN do it, certainly depends how well he comes back early next year.

Possible trade partners? I know everything is a long shot, but WTF, got a lot of time on my hands :-)
Charlotte - dumb team, Batum, Zeller and Rozier all got big contracts, maybe?
Cleveland - dumb team, trade for Love? Longer deal for us but maybe?
New York - dumb team(seeing a trend here), Randle, Noah and (more) garbage?
Washington - it would have to include Wall and I'd rather just eat Blakes contract than to touch Walls.
Memphis - Deing, Winslow and Waiters? They would actually get some cap relief and we'd trim a year off of Blake's deal.
Oklahoma City - we would have to take back CP3. But Blake is from Oklahoma City, so there is a marketing aspect to it

Yikes, that's the best I can come up with. I guess we'd better expect Blake to stay around for at least another year.

He's going to be tough to get much out of for sure given how last year went and also the cap is going down this year his salary is going to be harder for teams to fit under the cap and or luxury tax. Best case scenario for us is that he has a great 1st half of next season and we can sell him high on his final 1.5 years left on his contract but I think summer 2021 is a more realistic time frame to trade him when a team will take on that huge contract for just a year.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,551

Post#12 » by pistonsbball » Thu Apr 2, 2020 2:58 am

Blake would have to come out next season and play like he did in 18-19 through to the deadline for a trade to even have a chance, and even then it'd have to be a perfect storm of a contender being desperate enough, other guys not being available and Blake being a fit.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#13 » by Pharaoh » Thu Apr 2, 2020 3:38 am

Think there's situations where acquiring him might make sense for certain teams but we're a long way away from that point.

Doubt he can be traded next season at all unless he plays extremely well AND stays healthy up to the deadline....

Think it will take him playing well the entire season and being healthy for us to have any hope of dealing him in the summer of 21.

Teams that have massive cap space but don't land a difference maker might view him as a chance to improve a bit while rolling over the space a year...

A team that is stuck in mediocrity might also view him as a way to clear long term money and begin a rebuild the following year.

Time will tell but it's also likely we keep him here as a "leader" & "big name" as we go through our rebuild

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#14 » by Manocad » Thu Apr 2, 2020 5:22 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
Manocad wrote:The best option with Blake given that the Pistons now seem committed to a rebuild is to ride out his contract. Period.

Fixed. I don't really see a lot of value even if he shows reasonably well next year. Even then he is way too big of an injury and age risk.

His contract is so huge that its difficult to find situations where a team would actually be worse off and wanting to unload that much capital to make the numbers work. The only scenario that comes to mind is if the Wizards wanted to dump Wall 1 year early (so we'd eat an astronomical 47.3 million in return during the 22-23 season). They would have to give us a TON. I don't see it happening unless Wall gets really bad in their locker room.

The only remote chance I really see of moving him is at the trade deadline of his last year with us in 21-22; when a team only has to eat a prorated portion of 1 year. Buckle up folks. It's going to be a long ride.

Sorry, I didn't clarify. My point of keeping him healthy was limiting his minutes not only on the off chance that someone DOES find value in him, but limiting the Pistons' wins during a rebuilding and clearly not contending period, and out of respect for Blake the person relative to his post-NBA health.

I absolutely believe he is WAAAAAY to big a risk to take on given his salary and injury history, and there's no reason to believe any team wants him just as badly as we want to get rid of him. That makes absolutely no sense.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Post#15 » by theBigLip » Fri Apr 3, 2020 1:28 am

Manocad wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Sorry, I didn't clarify. My point of keeping him healthy was limiting his minutes not only on the off chance that someone DOES find value in him, but limiting the Pistons' wins during a rebuilding and clearly not contending period, and out of respect for Blake the person relative to his post-NBA health.

I absolutely believe he is WAAAAAY to big a risk to take on given his salary and injury history, and there's no reason to believe any team wants him just as badly as we want to get rid of him. That makes absolutely no sense.

I agree for the most part but not all teams make smart moves. And it only takes one to make a not-so-smart-move and we are free.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#16 » by whitehops » Fri Apr 3, 2020 2:09 pm

Moving Blake’s contract is going to be super tough even if he is healthy and playing at a very high level like he did in 2019. Moving it when he’s less than 100% is going to be impossible.

I gotta say though, I like the way he would fit with KD and Irving, other than the issue that he’d have to play small ball center for stretches. Durant and Irving are both great individual talents but neither are great playmakers, but Blake has developed into one. Give Blake the ball initially, let him manipulate the defense and then give durant or Irving the ball on an island and let them go to town.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#17 » by Crymson » Fri Apr 3, 2020 6:42 pm

When the former front office made the imbecilic decision to trade for him in 2018, further issues with his health were simply a pressing concern. Two-and-a-half years, two injuries, and about 80 missed games later, those concerns have morphed into absolute certainty. Nobody's going to take that risk anytime soon.
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#18 » by Darko Miliminutes » Sat Apr 4, 2020 9:00 pm

I'd rather have Levert from them. I''m surprised that didn't trade him already frankly. Once KD is in the line up CL's minutes are gonna drop.
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#19 » by DetroitDon15 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:01 am

Darko Miliminutes wrote:I'd rather have Levert from them. I''m surprised that didn't trade him already frankly. Once KD is in the line up CL's minutes are gonna drop.

The only deal that really works is Levert, Dinwiddie, and Allen for Blake. I’m not sure if they would go for that deal or not. Leverts deal is longer than Blake’s and Dinwiddie would for sure opt out along with having to potentially pay Allen to keep him. I mean it just might work for the Nets if Blake is actually cleared to play in the summer.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#20 » by Moses ShamMoses » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:44 pm

I'm hopeful Blake can come back healthy and somewhat productive. I doubt he regains his 18/19 all-star form but he might be able to be traded for expirings if he can get reasonably close. I think its a pipe dream to think we get assets for Blake unless its a miracle situation. His contract is hard to justify outside of providing star level/all-star level production.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'

Return to Detroit Pistons