ImageImageImage

Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

blueadams
Junior
Posts: 352
And1: 45
Joined: Jun 24, 2010

Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#1 » by blueadams » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:23 pm

1) Weaver seemed to have a lot of choices, in GM jobs. I don't think he would've taken this job if he wasn't given the right authority, or if he wasn't happy with the management structure that was going to be in place around him.

2) Blake's contract is for 2 more yrs. He's untradeable for 1.5 yrs. And that's *PERFECTLY FINE*. You want to be bad for two more yrs. Nice '21 draft pick. And a nice '22 draft pick ---> the "double draft". The first draft where players will be allowed to enter directly from high school, and where the elite prospects of two classes will join. Also, it's the "Emoni draft". The closest thing we're probably ever going to have to a hometown LeBron. The last one was 1979 (Magic).

3) What's the plan? Like I said ^, I hope tanking for the next 2 seasons. I've always thought the blueprint in Detroit was the same: Acquire 4 or 5 Top-50 level players in the league, put together a really solid bench, hire a great coach -- and hope for the best.

-Christian Wood, I think, certainly has top-50 potential (if he isn't already there); you resign him.
-Maybe you can get another in the '20 draft? I'm really just hoping for a solid top-8 in-the-rotation guy, honestly. I like Aaron Nesmith.
-Hopefully you can get another in the '21 draft?
-Definitely-hopefully you can get another in the '22 draft.

**That'd hopefully be 3 or 4 top-50 level guys.**

-Maybe Sekou turns into a top-8 guy? He doesn't really have much trade value and is under contract.. so I guess you just sort of ride that one out. Kennard could be a top-8 guy.. but I wouldn't want to lockup the cap-space it'll cost to resign him, honestly (even though I like him).. so I'd look to see what I could get for him. Same with Brown. DRose too.

..........

Top-8 guy in the '20 draft. Wood and hopefully two pretty good players from the '21 and '22 drafts. Clean cap-sheet. That's a good base to build on for the '22 season. Maybe there's a big-name (a 4th top-50 level guy) you can sign as a FA. There'd be money to sign a good role guy or two.

Thoughts?
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 28,667
And1: 15,964
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:44 pm

Hopefully get a guy like Edwards or maybe Okoro this draft. Sell Rose for a late 1st hopefully and grab a wing maybe Tyler Bey?

Then tank our asses off for the real prize Cade Cunningham.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 34,985
And1: 5,605
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:44 pm

Gores statements make it sound like they’re handing the reigns over to Weaver.

If that’s the truth, I’m cautiously optimistic.

I think we need to be prepared for the possibility of losing Wood, and for the possibility that giving him a big contract might prove a mistake. I’m still in favor of giving it a shot, but it’s likely he’ll have other options.

I’d like to have one top 50 guy before talking about multiple. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. This looks like a single step in the right direction- we’ve still got a LOT of hurdles to jump.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 28,667
And1: 15,964
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#4 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:48 pm

Snakebites wrote:Gores statements make it sound like they’re handing the reigns over to Weaver.

If that’s the truth, I’m cautiously optimistic.

I think we need to be prepared for the possibility of losing Wood, and for the possibility that giving him a big contract might prove a mistake. I’m still in favor of giving it a shot, but it’s likely he’ll have other options.

I’d like to have one top 50 guy before talking about multiple. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. This looks like a single step in the right direction- we’ve still got a LOT of hurdles to jump.

Im a bit torn on how to handle the Wood situation. He's gonna want a decent amount cause everyone understands what his numbers would be as a fulltime starter.

He's gonna be really good but don't know if it makes a difference if we retain him seeing as we aren't going anywhere for a while anyways.

For the right price though he's a asset we could retain and shop later instead of just letting him go.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 28,667
And1: 15,964
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#5 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:49 pm

Either way all focus needs to be on the 21 draft cause thats how we get our superstar or best shot at one.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 34,985
And1: 5,605
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:53 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Gores statements make it sound like they’re handing the reigns over to Weaver.

If that’s the truth, I’m cautiously optimistic.

I think we need to be prepared for the possibility of losing Wood, and for the possibility that giving him a big contract might prove a mistake. I’m still in favor of giving it a shot, but it’s likely he’ll have other options.

I’d like to have one top 50 guy before talking about multiple. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. This looks like a single step in the right direction- we’ve still got a LOT of hurdles to jump.

Im a bit torn on how to handle the Wood situation. He's gonna want a decent amount cause everyone understands what his numbers would be as a fulltime starter.

He's gonna be really good but don't know if it makes a difference if we retain him seeing as we aren't going anywhere for a while anyways.

For the right price though he's a asset we could retain and shop later instead of just letting him go.

I think you still retain him unless the price is outrageous.

I don’t think he’s good enough to be a huge impact to our lotto situation on his own. Furthermore, even rebuilding teams shouldn’t just let good young players walk for nothing. He became an asset for us.
Global Game
Junior
Posts: 407
And1: 58
Joined: Apr 29, 2014
     

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#7 » by Global Game » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:58 pm

Sign Wood

Draft a big or PG at 5 (Toppin or Haliburton)

Play Sekou

Play Louis King

Have Donta Hall on the roster
Add Devon Hall and Abdul Gaddy

Find the best shooting, defense and playmaking at SG from Svi, Kennard, Hall, Brown or Snell.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 28,667
And1: 15,964
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#8 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Snakebites wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Gores statements make it sound like they’re handing the reigns over to Weaver.

If that’s the truth, I’m cautiously optimistic.

I think we need to be prepared for the possibility of losing Wood, and for the possibility that giving him a big contract might prove a mistake. I’m still in favor of giving it a shot, but it’s likely he’ll have other options.

I’d like to have one top 50 guy before talking about multiple. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. This looks like a single step in the right direction- we’ve still got a LOT of hurdles to jump.

Im a bit torn on how to handle the Wood situation. He's gonna want a decent amount cause everyone understands what his numbers would be as a fulltime starter.

He's gonna be really good but don't know if it makes a difference if we retain him seeing as we aren't going anywhere for a while anyways.

For the right price though he's a asset we could retain and shop later instead of just letting him go.

I think you still retain him unless the price is outrageous.

I don’t think he’s good enough to be a huge impact to our lotto situation on his own. Furthermore, even rebuilding teams shouldn’t just let good young players walk for nothing. He became an asset for us.

Yeah it would be too hard to let him walk unless its some outrageous offer like you said.
Global Game
Junior
Posts: 407
And1: 58
Joined: Apr 29, 2014
     

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#9 » by Global Game » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:03 pm

If they don't draft a PG, trade for a veteran with an expiring contract. Kyle Lowry comes to mind.
440BB
Sophomore
Posts: 196
And1: 118
Joined: Jul 13, 2017
     

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#10 » by 440BB » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:51 pm

With a reduced salary cap in the works for next season, Wood may have fewer suitors, be more affordable and more likely to sign with us. I'm fine with them tanking and holding on to that cap space in hopes of picking up another '21-22 draft pick or two in future trades. I'm in no hurry to add wins by signing quality free agents for 2020.
User avatar
pistonsbball
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,345
And1: 574
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
 

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#11 » by pistonsbball » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:54 pm

Just sign Wood whatever the cost, don't overthink it. We've got an opportunity to secure a 20/10 capable young big with a perfect skillset for the modern NBA. Even if he goes Charlie V we're not going to contend in the immediate future anyway. I think we can get him on a reasonable deal, teams seem less likely to throw around big contracts now.

Weaver can't do anythig about Blake, just let him expire and maybe he plays his way into tradeability if all the stars align. Hopefully his time in OKC will show him the value of hitting early in the draft. Maybe if we draft 3 HOFs he'll keep them this time.
edmunder_prc
Junior
Posts: 409
And1: 220
Joined: Dec 06, 2015
   

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#12 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:47 pm

Play Sekou and Hall.

The more Hall is played, the better. I think he has star athleticism, shot blocking, size, length, etc. I honestly think they were hiding him. When he jumps he looks like a flying squirrel.

Problem: Wood, Sekou and Blake all play the same position. Blake looked absolutely done. After another year off, will he come back looking good for a year? Maybe he can be traded? If not, he takes time from Wood/Sekou and causing issues for Hall, since Wood likely plays with Blake, and plays center. Hall gets fewer minutes.

Louis King? Play him some. He had everything a team was looking for, if he put on some weight. Its been another 5 months of the home gym.
vic
Starter
Posts: 2,046
And1: 757
Joined: Dec 27, 2012

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#13 » by vic » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:57 pm

I agree with everyone that has a long term view. Let's try to get a solid wing in this draft... and get someone to run the team next year. 2021 has several special point guards in it.

This year's pgs are good but nothing like Cade Cunningham and the 2021 crop.

I say draft Okoro & trade Luke for an extra pick to get Devin Vassell.

Like it or not its a wings league nowadays
- Okoro could be a blend of D Wade & Iguodala
- Vassell is a no-failure 3&D guy that doesn't need to dribble a lot but will win battles on the right team.
- Anthony Edwards is a sure shot, being so young and athletic and hungry to dominate

I'm excited about the Basketball mind that Troy Weaver has. OKC has always had horrible coaching but great drafting & talent acq.

You can't be too bad for too long when you keep throwing all-stars, MVPs, and solid skilled plus athletes all together on the same team.

I'm excited to see what Troy will do.

Unless you end up in the top 2, I say get a couple of this years elite wing prospects.

Let D Rose & Blake play out... save your PG of the future for the 2021 draft.

D Rose/Bruce Brown
Vassell/SVi
Okoro/Sekou
Blake/Sekou
Wood/Hall

Let that play out let the young guys learn how to fight under DRose and Blake... then get Daishen Nix or Caden Cunningham in 2021 to take over the reigns.
SVG has castrated the Pistons franchise with bad drafting, bad trades, and overpaying offensive minded players.

Gonna take Ed Stefanski a while to dig out of this hole.
Global Game
Junior
Posts: 407
And1: 58
Joined: Apr 29, 2014
     

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#14 » by Global Game » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:16 am

The Pistons would do well to get Wiseman, Toppin, or Haliburton in the draft.

Svi makes Kennard expendable.

Kennard for Terry Rozier or some such.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 28,667
And1: 15,964
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#15 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:54 am

Global Game wrote:The Pistons would do well to get Wiseman, Toppin, or Haliburton in the draft.

Svi makes Kennard expendable.

Kennard for Terry Rozier or some such.

Wiseman scares me, too many Drummond vibes to build around with his game based off natural gifts and a reported bad motor. We need something new to build around besides that type again in my opinion.

Wood is a better version of Toppin where he just Dunks everything and shoots the 3 efficiently.

Haliburton would be a nice choice depending where we pick and would actually compliment a guy like Kennard if he was the choice.

I think we need one of Hayes, Edwards, Okoro or Okongwu.
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 8,193
And1: 2,220
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#16 » by DBC10 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:01 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Global Game wrote:The Pistons would do well to get Wiseman, Toppin, or Haliburton in the draft.

Svi makes Kennard expendable.

Kennard for Terry Rozier or some such.

Wiseman scares me, too many Drummond vibes to build around with his game based off natural gifts and a reported bad motor. We need something new to build around besides that type again in my opinion.

Wood is a better version of Toppin where he just Dunks everything and shoots the 3 efficiently.

Haliburton would be a nice choice depending where we pick and would actually compliment a guy like Kennard if he was the choice.

I think we need one of Hayes, Edwards, Okoro or Okongwu.


The only way I'd want Wiseman is only if we're not building through a solely through a center up like we did with Drummond. If he's brought along just to be DeAndre Jordan while not giving him a max contract, then he can probably be worth it.

But just from the Drummond vibes, I think we should pass. There's more pressing needs at the point guard and wing situations right now. We just need to keep drafting wings and just hope for the best since that's THE position to be at right now.
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 12,825
And1: 3,143
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#17 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:40 am

vic wrote:I agree with everyone that has a long term view. Let's try to get a solid wing in this draft... and get someone to run the team next year. 2021 has several special point guards in it.

This year's pgs are good but nothing like Cade Cunningham and the 2021 crop.

I say draft Okoro & trade Luke for an extra pick to get Devin Vassell.

Like it or not its a wings league nowadays
- Okoro could be a blend of D Wade & Iguodala
- Vassell is a no-failure 3&D guy that doesn't need to dribble a lot but will win battles on the right team.
- Anthony Edwards is a sure shot, being so young and athletic and hungry to dominate

I'm excited about the Basketball mind that Troy Weaver has. OKC has always had horrible coaching but great drafting & talent acq.

You can't be too bad for too long when you keep throwing all-stars, MVPs, and solid skilled plus athletes all together on the same team.

I'm excited to see what Troy will do.

Unless you end up in the top 2, I say get a couple of this years elite wing prospects.

Let D Rose & Blake play out... save your PG of the future for the 2021 draft.

D Rose/Bruce Brown
Vassell/SVi
Okoro/Sekou
Blake/Sekou
Wood/Hall

Let that play out let the young guys learn how to fight under DRose and Blake... then get Daishen Nix or Caden Cunningham in 2021 to take over the reigns.
This is the exact scenario I proposed weeks ago:

Hope to land Okoro at #5, deal Luke to Phoenix for #10 & land Vassell.



Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 12,825
And1: 3,143
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#18 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:00 am

Even assuming Vassell isn't available at #10 there's a few guys that should be that I find interesting:

Aarom Nesmith obviously is one. Precious Achiuwa is another. A dude I haven't heard much from most places is Saddiq Bey.

Bey in HS was a 6'1" PG. So he hasn't always been "scorer or nothing". Dude is now 6'8", maybe 6'9". Played at Villanova so you know he's been switching all the time in practice and in games. I find his potential intriguing.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Global Game
Junior
Posts: 407
And1: 58
Joined: Apr 29, 2014
     

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#19 » by Global Game » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:58 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Global Game wrote:The Pistons would do well to get Wiseman, Toppin, or Haliburton in the draft.

Svi makes Kennard expendable.

Kennard for Terry Rozier or some such.

Wiseman scares me, too many Drummond vibes to build around with his game based off natural gifts and a reported bad motor. We need something new to build around besides that type again in my opinion.

Wood is a better version of Toppin where he just Dunks everything and shoots the 3 efficiently.

Haliburton would be a nice choice depending where we pick and would actually compliment a guy like Kennard if he was the choice.

I think we need one of Hayes, Edwards, Okoro or Okongwu.


None of the players in this draft are build around guys.

No top five all time at their position.
No takeover at least three games in a 7 game series type talent guys.

Magic, Jordan, Isiah, Bird - you could see their feel for the game in college first year.

Haliburton (shooting, assisting, defense) has shown the most potential to have the biggest impact.
Excellent feel for the game.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 28,667
And1: 15,964
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Weaver in place. Now what? THE REBUILD 

Post#20 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:09 pm

Global Game wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Global Game wrote:The Pistons would do well to get Wiseman, Toppin, or Haliburton in the draft.

Svi makes Kennard expendable.

Kennard for Terry Rozier or some such.

Wiseman scares me, too many Drummond vibes to build around with his game based off natural gifts and a reported bad motor. We need something new to build around besides that type again in my opinion.

Wood is a better version of Toppin where he just Dunks everything and shoots the 3 efficiently.

Haliburton would be a nice choice depending where we pick and would actually compliment a guy like Kennard if he was the choice.

I think we need one of Hayes, Edwards, Okoro or Okongwu.


None of the players in this draft are build around guys.

No top five all time at their position.
No takeover at least three games in a 7 game series type talent guys.

Magic, Jordan, Isiah, Bird - you could see their feel for the game in college first year.

Haliburton (shooting, assisting, defense) has shown the most potential to have the biggest impact.
Excellent feel for the game.

Disagree, while i still see the bust potential in Edwards he has shown at times his ability to take over as a 3 level scorer. Dude needs to chill with the contested 3s but he definitely has big potential. Right now its either he goes off like a star or clanks everything with dumb shots. But if he gets more efficient or wiser with his shot selection then he can be really good.

Return to Detroit Pistons