ImageImageImage

2020 Draft. Who you want?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

blueadams
Junior
And1: 55

2020 Draft. Who you want? 

Post#1 » by blueadams » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:22 pm

Just looking at players in nbadraft.net's lotto right now (20 June).

Players I Like:

-#1 (#13 ranked) Aaron Nesmith. I'd honestly take him #1 overall if I had the #1 overall pick. He reminds me a lot of Klay Thompson, and the bust factor is pretty low. Klay's not a "superstar", and you're usually looking for "superstar potential" at the top of the draft.. but in this draft.. at any point in this draft.. I'm really just looking to land a solid starter on a contending team. Nesmith shot an incredible 52% from 3 on 8.2 att/g this yr at Vandy. Shortened season, sure, but he shot 34% from 3 on 5.5 att/g his freshman yr, and had the exact same FT%. He's 6'6 215 and a solid - not great - athlete. Smart, hard-working defender. Don't think he'll quite be Klay on that end.. but don't see him being a liability either. He's not that great handling the ball, driving, play-making, etc.. but neither was Klay. What he is-is an amazing, amazing outside shooter who moves very well without the ball and plays solid defense with the size to switch.

-#2a (#2 ranked) Obi Toppin. I like Obi. I think he's big enough to play the 5 in today's game. He's a solid outside shooter (39% on 2.6 att/g this season). He runs the court fine. He's not much of a passer or defender, really. But a big guy who plays hard and can shoot from outside is a fine thing.

-#2b (#6 ranked) Devin Vassell. Really good athlete, really good length. Not the shooter Nesmith is, but a better defender probably.. and still an okay shooter (42% from 3 on 3.5 att/g this yr).

So-so guys:

-(#7 ranked) Tyrese Haliburton. I like Haliburton. And I like his game. But a primary ball-handler is like a franchise QB, and you've got to be a little careful with it. The '21 and '22 drafts are where I think we might find a star handler. The '20 draft might be a better place to find a piece around him. And Haliburton's (42% from 3 on 5.6 att/g) not really a star shooter like Nesmith, or a star defender like Vassell.

-(#14 ranked) Daniel Oturu. Probably more of an 'if we move Kennard or Rose for a second pick' option here. But I think Oturu's interesting. He's got a decent outside shot for a big man.

Players I Don't Like:

I've heard so much in my life as a Pistons fan about prospects "with great shooting form who should become great outside shooters". Maybe 1 out of every 10 or 15 actually becomes a legit good NBA outside shooter.

-(#1 ranked) Anthony Edwards. 29% 3pt shooter (on 7.7 attempts/game) in one season at UGA. Not excited about that.
-(#3 ranked) LaMelo Ball. 25% 3pt shooter (on 6.7 attempts/game) in one season in the NBL. Not excited about that either.
-(#4 ranked) James Wiseman. Not a shooter. Seems like guys with his skill-set are usually available in FA.
-(#5 ranked) Killian Hayes. 19% 3pt shooter (on 2.2 attempts/game) last season in his French league.
-(#8 ranked) Onyeka Okongwu. Not a shooter. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a solid career though.
-(#9 ranked) Deni Avdija. 28% 3pt shooter (on 1.8 attempts/game) in Euro league this past yr.
-(#10 ranked) Isaac Okoro. 29% 3pt shooter (on 2.5 attempts/game) in one season at Auburn.
-(#11 ranked) Cole Anthony. 35% 3pt shooter (on 6.4 attempts/game) in one season at UNC. Guy with his height shooting less than 40% in college is a big no-no for me.
-(#12 ranked) Precious Achiuwa. 33% 3pt shooter (on 1.3 attempts/game) in one season at Memphis.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: 2020 Draft. Who you want? 

Post#2 » by Manocad » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:30 pm

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#3 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:32 am

Okongwu and Okoro interest me simply because of their D.

Not sold on any of the PGs and apparently 2021 has superior guts anyway at that position.

That said we should hope Weaver has done his homework and nails this Draft (& the next few) cause we're in dire need of young talent

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#4 » by Invictus88 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:27 am

blueadams wrote:Just looking at players in nbadraft.net's lotto right now (20 June).

Players I Like:

-#1 (#13 ranked) Aaron Nesmith. I'd honestly take him #1 overall if I had the #1 overall pick. He reminds me a lot of Klay Thompson, and the bust factor is pretty low. Klay's not a "superstar", and you're usually looking for "superstar potential" at the top of the draft.. but in this draft.. at any point in this draft.. I'm really just looking to land a solid starter on a contending team. Nesmith shot an incredible 52% from 3 on 8.2 att/g this yr at Vandy. Shortened season, sure, but he shot 34% from 3 on 5.5 att/g his freshman yr, and had the exact same FT%. He's 6'6 215 and a solid - not great - athlete. Smart, hard-working defender. Don't think he'll quite be Klay on that end.. but don't see him being a liability either. He's not that great handling the ball, driving, play-making, etc.. but neither was Klay. What he is-is an amazing, amazing outside shooter who moves very well without the ball and plays solid defense with the size to switch.

-#2a (#2 ranked) Obi Toppin. I like Obi. I think he's big enough to play the 5 in today's game. He's a solid outside shooter (39% on 2.6 att/g this season). He runs the court fine. He's not much of a passer or defender, really. But a big guy who plays hard and can shoot from outside is a fine thing.

-#2b (#6 ranked) Devin Vassell. Really good athlete, really good length. Not the shooter Nesmith is, but a better defender probably.. and still an okay shooter (42% from 3 on 3.5 att/g this yr).

So-so guys:

-(#7 ranked) Tyrese Haliburton. I like Haliburton. And I like his game. But a primary ball-handler is like a franchise QB, and you've got to be a little careful with it. The '21 and '22 drafts are where I think we might find a star handler. The '20 draft might be a better place to find a piece around him. And Haliburton's (42% from 3 on 5.6 att/g) not really a star shooter like Nesmith, or a star defender like Vassell.

-(#14 ranked) Daniel Oturu. Probably more of an 'if we move Kennard or Rose for a second pick' option here. But I think Oturu's interesting. He's got a decent outside shot for a big man.

Players I Don't Like:

I've heard so much in my life as a Pistons fan about prospects "with great shooting form who should become great outside shooters". Maybe 1 out of every 10 or 15 actually becomes a legit good NBA outside shooter.

-(#1 ranked) Anthony Edwards. 29% 3pt shooter (on 7.7 attempts/game) in one season at UGA. Not excited about that.
-(#3 ranked) LaMelo Ball. 25% 3pt shooter (on 6.7 attempts/game) in one season in the NBL. Not excited about that either.
-(#4 ranked) James Wiseman. Not a shooter. Seems like guys with his skill-set are usually available in FA.
-(#5 ranked) Killian Hayes. 19% 3pt shooter (on 2.2 attempts/game) last season in his French league.
-(#8 ranked) Onyeka Okongwu. Not a shooter. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a solid career though.
-(#9 ranked) Deni Avdija. 28% 3pt shooter (on 1.8 attempts/game) in Euro league this past yr.
-(#10 ranked) Isaac Okoro. 29% 3pt shooter (on 2.5 attempts/game) in one season at Auburn.
-(#11 ranked) Cole Anthony. 35% 3pt shooter (on 6.4 attempts/game) in one season at UNC. Guy with his height shooting less than 40% in college is a big no-no for me.
-(#12 ranked) Precious Achiuwa. 33% 3pt shooter (on 1.3 attempts/game) in one season at Memphis.

There's already a thread to discuss this stuff titled Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1907214

Why not just add your thoughts to the discussion there?
blueadams
Junior
And1: 55

Post#5 » by blueadams » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:18 pm

Lo siento!! Didn’t see that! Gracias!
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#6 » by Moses ShamMoses » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:46 am

James Wiseman. I know its not popular to pick centers anymore but I really like his upside. Plus it would be really fun to have him and C Wood on the floor at the same time.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#7 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:24 pm

Anthony Edwards, while yes just looking at the numbers he is inefficient but he takes some really hard step back 3s way too much.

When he does go off though he really shows his star potential as a athletic 3 level scorer. So just maturing a bit with his shot selection and he could put up Donovan Mitchell type numbers just hopefully becomes more efficient then Mitchell

Return to Detroit Pistons