ImageImageImage

Free Agents

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 562

Free Agents 

Post#1 » by LaSheed » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:12 pm

Reports are saying we will have 30 million.

Who are you some guys you would like to see us go after?

That 30 million obviously revolves around what we choose to do with Christian Wood. Apparently with his Early Bird rights...if we can sign him around 9.5 million he would only have his cap hold of 1.7 million count against the cap this year. Anything above that comes out our cap space. Dear lord would that be ideal.

I'm gonna throw some $$ at Derrick Jones Jr. Miami wants to keep their cap for '21.

Bigs:
Giles/Noel/Poeltel/Boucher
Hernangomez/Diallo

Vets like Leonard/Len/Mason Plumlee

Wings Harkless or Jerami Grant

Vet PG Augustin or Teague

Should try to pry Chris Chiozza of the nets as well. Undersized at 5'11" but definitely FVV lite. Much cheaper.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 180

Re: Free Agents 

Post#2 » by JNewton » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:18 pm

None. Instead gather future assets by being a salary dumping ground to facilitate trades between other teams or taking on salary from teams being impacted by the reduction in the salary cap/tax lines.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by LaSheed » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:24 pm

JNewton wrote:None. Instead gather future assets by being a salary dumping ground to facilitate trades between other teams or taking on salary from teams being impacted by the reduction in the salary cap/tax lines.

I'm hoping that what we do with the majority of the cap. But if we could grab a younger rotational piece Jones jr/Saric from a team with bigger ideas then im all for it.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#4 » by chrbal » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:49 pm

Resign Christian wood. Let’s say 4 years/$60 million. After that I would like to see us absorb some vets to add assets, buy a draft pick.

If we sign anyone else maybe some young upside guys on 2 years.

Add maybe one point guard, if Rose is dealt.

If an amnesty thing happens and we have to do it this year, let Blake pick a team. If not, let Blake stay this season
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#5 » by Kilo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:05 pm

Max offer Ingram.

If that pisses off Chris Wood, so be it.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#6 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 pm

LaSheed wrote:Reports are saying we will have 30 million.

That 30 million obviously revolves around what we choose to do with Christian Wood. Apparently with his Early Bird rights...if we can sign him around 9.5 million he would only have his cap hold of 1.7 million count against the cap this year. Anything above that comes out our cap space. Dear lord would that be ideal.

I'm gonna throw some $$ at Derrick Jones Jr. Miami wants to keep their cap for '21.

Bigs:
Hernangomez/Diallo

Should try to pry Chris Chiozza of the nets as well. Undersized at 5'11" but definitely FVV lite. Much cheaper.

LaSheed wrote:Reports are saying we will have 30 million.

Bigs:
Hernangomez/Diallo

Draft: #5 hopefully land Okoro

Trade Luke to PHO for #10. Land Vassell.

Re-sign Wood - 3 year deal
Re-sign Henson - 1 year deal

Sign Giles - 3 year cheap deal, TO & partial guarantee in the 3rd

Wood - Henson - Patton
(Blake) Sekou - Giles
(Sekou) Okoro - Snell
(Okoro) Vassell - Svi - Thomas
Brown - Rose - Bone

Attempt to deal Rose, Snell & Henson during the season to a contender for 2 year deals and the best prospect/pick we could get.

Maybe Wood, Sekou, Giles, Okoro, Vassell, Svi, Brown develop into something, maybe they don't but I'd be giving them every opportunity. All of them are able to cover 2 positions too so it's a versatile group.

2021 = Draft a PG in the top 5!

Wood - Giles - Patton
Sekou - Giles (Blake)
Okoro - Svi
Vassell - Brown - Thomas
Top 5 - Brown - Bone

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#7 » by The_Irony » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:53 pm

Kilo wrote:Max offer Ingram.

Realistically You can sign both but it doesnt matter cause new orleans will match any ingram offer.

I also have serious doubts christian wood is getting the contract people expect him to get. Does anyone have an example of a player who went from being the last guy to make a roster making a minimum salary to get a 12-15 mill a year contract from 6 month sample size?

Im almost certain Detroit wont take a big hit against the cap number this summer if he signs a 3yr 30mill contract due to his early bird rights. I think he takes it, runs with it and shows loyalty to the front office and coach who gave him a chance. in reality thats a big leap of faith to give to a guy who played 75% of a good season for the first time in his career at 24 yrs old.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#8 » by chrbal » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:10 am

The_Irony wrote:

Realistically You can sign both but it doesnt matter cause new orleans will match any ingram offer.

I also have serious doubts christian wood is getting the contract people expect him to get. Does anyone have an example of a player who went from being the last guy to make a roster making a minimum salary to get a 12-15 mill a year contract from 6 month sample size?

Not just like woods situation, but there are all kinds of examples similar. For the era Jon koncack got offered a large chunk of mine from us in 1989. Jerome James had a good playoff series and got paid.

Wood being 24 or 25, a modern day 4 and enough samples to get paid. Plus a decent amount of teams with a need for him
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#9 » by jakebernat » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:30 am

here’s a real question: do people still hate signing FVV if we can pull off a sign-and-trade? say we could swing a snell & Luke for FVV, is that a bad deal? resign wood, hit on our draft pick, and let the season play out to determine our next move.

not saying that I necessarily want this move, but it’s worth discussing.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by LaSheed » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:36 am

jakebernat wrote:here’s a real question: do people still hate signing FVV if we can pull off a sign-and-trade? say we could swing a snell & Luke for FVV, is that a bad deal? resign wood, hit on our draft pick, and let the season play out to determine our next move.

I love FVV. I want a proper rebuild like everyone else but like you said its worth discussing.

That city loves him though so I see him staying....or they can come watch him play over here lol
The_Irony
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by The_Irony » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:37 am

chrbal wrote:
The_Irony wrote:

Not just like woods situation, but there are all kinds of examples similar. For the era Jon koncack got offered a large chunk of mine from us in 1989. Jerome James had a good playoff series and got paid.

Wood being 24 or 25, a modern day 4 and enough samples to get paid. Plus a decent amount of teams with a need for him

Yeah i asked cause i legit couldn't think of any . I dont know if 2 examples in the last 30 years is enough for me to believe but charlotte could pay up. I also wonder whos getting more between wood and harrell
chrbal
RealGM

Post#12 » by chrbal » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:06 am

It doesn’t seem common though
LaSheed
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by LaSheed » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:47 am

Harrell for sure id imagine.

I dont think Weaver is gonna break the bank for Wood. Has no ties to him.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#14 » by Pharaoh » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:01 am

jakebernat wrote:here’s a real question: do people still hate signing FVV if we can pull off a sign-and-trade? say we could swing a snell & Luke for FVV, is that a bad deal? resign wood, hit on our draft pick, and let the season play out to determine our next move.

In a S&T I'd take that!

Wood - Henson - Patton
Blake - Giles
Sekou - Svi
Okoro - Brown
FVV - Rose

See what happens, although it likely puts us as a late Lotto team in 2021 and we'd all be praying Sekou, Okoro and Giles can come through and be real players for us before Rose and Blake depart

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
The_Irony
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by The_Irony » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:30 pm

After seeing the Pistons waste their chance to draft a foundational young piece in KPJ or Bol Bol with pick 30, choosing to draft arn tellems sons client who may never wear a Pistons uniform instead, I knew the connections will mean a lot atleast with this team.

Below are some realistic options with Ties to Weaver and Tellem:

Serge Ibaka
Jeremi Grant (player option at the end of the season)
Danilo Gallinari
Mario Hezonja
Josh Jackson (BJ Armstrong is his agent. BJ is also Roses' Agent and very close with Weaver and Tellem. Obvious Detroit connection with Josh being from Southfield)

This team has to find a way to get rid of Snell if he decides to opt in his final year.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#16 » by BJK1 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:06 pm

The_Irony wrote:After seeing the Pistons waste their chance to draft a foundational young piece in KPJ or Bol Bol with pick 30, choosing to draft arn tellems sons client who may never wear a Pistons uniform instead, I knew the connections will mean a lot atleast with this team.

Below are some realistic options with Ties to Weaver and Tellem:

Serge Ibaka
Jeremi Grant (player option at the end of the season)
Danilo Gallinari
Mario Hezonja
Josh Jackson (BJ Armstrong is his agent. BJ is also Roses' Agent and very close with Weaver and Tellem. Obvious Detroit connection with Josh being from Southfield)

This team has to find a way to get rid of Snell if he decides to opt in his final year.

The new assistant GM David Mincberg came from the Memphis FO, so a potential move for Josh Jackson would come with extensive insight on him.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by LaSheed » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:12 pm

I forgot to to put Jackson on my list.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by The_Irony » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:49 pm

BJK1 wrote:
The new assistant GM David Mincberg came from the Memphis FO, so a potential move for Josh Jackson would come with extensive insight on him.

Mincberg hasnt been with Memphis since around 2017 and Josh has been with the Grizz for one season.

But he can tell us all about Sterling Brown :lol:
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,751

Post#19 » by theBigLip » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:18 am

I think we just sign one year deals, maybe longer for Wood if we can get him for a reasonable number. We need Blake's contract gone before we can make any real moves. One year deals lets us be a player the summer of 2021.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#20 » by BJK1 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:17 am

The_Irony wrote:
BJK1 wrote:

Mincberg hasnt been with Memphis since around 2017 and Josh has been with the Grizz for one season.

But he can tell us all about Sterling Brown :lol:

Ugh. Good catch. I totally fell asleep at the wheel on that. I’ve read so much about his time in Memphis (with Stefanski), that I forgot that he actually spent the last couple of years with the Bucks.

Return to Detroit Pistons