Free Agents

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,551

Re: Free Agents 

Post#81 » by pistonsbball » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:42 am

Crymson wrote:
pistonsbball wrote:When I say culture I'm not talking about the team's play style or offense v defense, I more or less mean having a standard of playing hard every night. You can't just have a bunch of 1-3yr pros and expect them to figure it out themselves, you've got to have some vets who can go out there and set that standard. Having a high level of buy-in from the roster is usually the starting point to building a good team.

This franchise is in a holding pattern until we draft and develop some stars, it's highly unlikely we attract any top talent via trade or FA. In the meantime you need to get to work in fostering a good environment for prospects to develop. This hopefully leads to these young players not only becoming good players, but becoming winning ball players.

Playing hard doesn't matter if you don't play right. Torrey Craig is an offensively-challenged, defense-first player. We already have one of those in Bruce Brown. Why bring in another to gum up the works? I agree that some veteran leadership is necessary, but I'd argue that adding guys who do not play the way that's necessary to win games is not the proper course. Beyond that, every unnecessary veteran on the roster takes away a roster spot and minutes from a youngster who might ultimately have more value to the organization.

I question the validity of "buy-in" at this stage, given that the Pistons are still far off; into what are the young players going to buy? The rebuild? There is no culture right now; it's a rebuild. Players will come and go. Having the proper young talent, not a high level of "buy-in," is the starting point to building a good team.

You think having Bruce Brown and Craig in a rotation of 9 or 10 is gonna funk up the team? Does it really matter right now? You can fine tune your squad once you get somewhere close to competing. I'd rather have those two setting the tone then some streaky 38% 3pt shooter who doesn't play a lick of defense. Also, these guys aren't awful on O and Bruce Brown puts in work and is improving all the time.

Do you actually think there's good 2-way talent out there accessible to us now through FA or trade?
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#82 » by chrbal » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:55 pm

pistonsbball wrote:
Crymson wrote:
pistonsbball wrote:When I say culture I'm not talking about the team's play style or offense v defense, I more or less mean having a standard of playing hard every night. You can't just have a bunch of 1-3yr pros and expect them to figure it out themselves, you've got to have some vets who can go out there and set that standard. Having a high level of buy-in from the roster is usually the starting point to building a good team.

This franchise is in a holding pattern until we draft and develop some stars, it's highly unlikely we attract any top talent via trade or FA. In the meantime you need to get to work in fostering a good environment for prospects to develop. This hopefully leads to these young players not only becoming good players, but becoming winning ball players.

Playing hard doesn't matter if you don't play right. Torrey Craig is an offensively-challenged, defense-first player. We already have one of those in Bruce Brown. Why bring in another to gum up the works? I agree that some veteran leadership is necessary, but I'd argue that adding guys who do not play the way that's necessary to win games is not the proper course. Beyond that, every unnecessary veteran on the roster takes away a roster spot and minutes from a youngster who might ultimately have more value to the organization.

I question the validity of "buy-in" at this stage, given that the Pistons are still far off; into what are the young players going to buy? The rebuild? There is no culture right now; it's a rebuild. Players will come and go. Having the proper young talent, not a high level of "buy-in," is the starting point to building a good team.

You think having Bruce Brown and Craig in a rotation of 9 or 10 is gonna funk up the team? Does it really matter right now? You can fine tune your squad once you get somewhere close to competing. I'd rather have those two setting the tone then some streaky 38% 3pt shooter who doesn't play a lick of defense. Also, these guys aren't awful on O and Bruce Brown puts in work and is improving all the time.

Do you actually think there's good 2-way talent out there accessible to us now through FA or trade?

Torrey has averaged roughly 5 points and 18 minutes per game for his career. He’ll be 30 in December and none of his shooting numbers are that great. I can’t really imagine he has trade value and by the earliest we’ll be competitive, he’ll be 33/34.

Also considering the “some streaky 38% 3pt shooter” is going to cost $12 million once he picks up his option, I’d rather just keep tony snell.

As far as adding a two way wing. The pistons are set up to finally rebuild. We gave away Drummond, which is why I think we are. You add younger free agents looking to prove themselves with playing time, give guys like svi and such shots, add draft picks this year (good chance you can buy some) and give those guys shots.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#83 » by Crymson » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:48 pm

pistonsbball wrote:You think having Bruce Brown and Craig in a rotation of 9 or 10 is gonna funk up the team? Does it really matter right now? You can fine tune your squad once you get somewhere close to competing. I'd rather have those two setting the tone then some streaky 38% 3pt shooter who doesn't play a lick of defense. Also, these guys aren't awful on O and Bruce Brown puts in work and is improving all the time.

The idea is to bring up young players as part of a functional rotation that plays a modern offense. Bringing on another offense-minus veteran will not at all help toward that end.

Craig is a poor scorer by any measure. As of the end of Detroit's season, Brown remains an offensive liability. He improved quite a bit as a sophomore, which is more a measure of how bad he was as a rookie than a marker of his actual performance. I hope he'll continue to improve, but he's by no means at an acceptable level yet.

Who said anything about good two-way players? Any veteran who can play acceptably well on both ends (and can fit into a modern offense) and serve as a positive influence on and off the court will do; the Pistons aren't trying to win games.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,054

Post#84 » by bstein14 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:08 am

Trey Burke looking really good in these playoffs.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#85 » by mattao313 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:53 pm

I really hope The Knicks or the Suns get Vanvleet. This team is in a good position to try and bottom out and get some high end talent
Championships
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#86 » by chrbal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:02 pm

mattao313 wrote:I really hope The Knicks or the Suns get Vanvleet. This team is in a good position to try and bottom out and get some high end talent

I like van fleet as a player, but I think his market is going to be insane. I’d like to see him on the suns, but I’m thinking the Knicks identify him as a necessity for thibedau
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#87 » by mattao313 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:08 pm

chrbal wrote:
mattao313 wrote:I really hope The Knicks or the Suns get Vanvleet. This team is in a good position to try and bottom out and get some high end talent

I like van fleet as a player, but I think his market is going to be insane. I’d like to see him on the suns, but I’m thinking the Knicks identify him as a necessity for thibedau

Yeah I could see the Knicks backing in the brinks truck for him.
Championships
bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 392

Post#88 » by bjones521 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:10 am

The Pistons have the worst roster talent wise in the NBA imo. Trade Rose and play Blake 24min a game and give Sekou the other 24min at PF. Bottom out and get another lottery pick next year.

AND Please!!! do not sign Van Fleet.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#89 » by Pharaoh » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:06 am

Wood - Meyers Leonard - Patton
Blake - Harry Giles III
Sekou - Josh Jackson - Snell
Okoro - Vassell - Svi
Brown - Rose - Bone

Drafted Okoro at 7, traded Luke to PHO for Vassell.

Leonard, Giles & Jackson come on 2 + 1 TO deals for reasonable money.

Retain Wood

Long term:

Wood
Sekou
Okoro
Vassell
2021 Stud PG

Brown G
Giles F/C
Svi G/F
Leonard F/C
Jackson G/F

Land a stud at any position in the 2022 Draft and away we go

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#90 » by MotownMadness » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:54 am

Pharaoh wrote:Wood - Meyers Leonard - Patton
Blake - Harry Giles III
Okoro - Vassell - Svi
Brown - Rose - Bone

Retain Wood

Long term:

Wood
Sekou
Okoro
Vassell
2021 Stud PG

Brown G
Giles F/C
Svi G/F
Leonard F/C
Jackson G/F

I dont think Okoro is making it too 7. Got Bulls, Hawks and Cavs all in front of us who are probably Interested. I'm actually getting worried about Hayes making it too 7 as well now and he's my guy I want.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,054

Post#91 » by bstein14 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:02 am

SIgning FVV would 100% be a Joe D post championship move... getting the biggest name FA you can overpay to come even though they don't really want to be here. We need to spend on a few young guys on cheap deals and use the bulk of the space in trades absorbing 1 year contracts and taking back assets.

We need a top 5 pick next year too.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#92 » by Pharaoh » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:51 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Blake - Harry Giles III
Okoro - Vassell - Svi
Brown - Rose - Bone

Retain Wood

Long term:

Wood
Sekou
Okoro
Vassell
2021 Stud PG

Brown G
Giles F/C
Svi G/F
Leonard F/C
Jackson G/F

I dont think Okoro is making it too 7. Got Bulls, Hawks and Cavs all in front of us who are probably Interested. I'm actually getting worried about Hayes making it too 7 as well now and he's my guy I want.
If Okoro or Hayes aren't there at 7 I'll be disappointed. I'd be happy with either one of them.

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#93 » by Pharaoh » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:23 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Blake - Harry Giles III
Okoro - Vassell - Svi
Brown - Rose - Bone

Retain Wood

Long term:

Wood
Sekou
Okoro
Vassell
2021 Stud PG

Brown G
Giles F/C
Svi G/F
Leonard F/C
Jackson G/F

It's also possible Wiseman, Edwards, Ball, Okoro & Hayes are all off the board by the time we pick 7th

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#94 » by MotownMadness » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:53 am

Pharaoh wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Blake - Harry Giles III
Okoro - Vassell - Svi
Brown - Rose - Bone

Retain Wood

Long term:

Wood
Sekou
Okoro
Vassell
2021 Stud PG

Brown G
Giles F/C
Svi G/F
Leonard F/C
Jackson G/F

It's also possible Wiseman, Edwards, Ball, Okoro & Hayes are all off the board by the time we pick 7th

I probably go Haliburton in that scenario or maybe your guy Vassell.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#95 » by Pharaoh » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:28 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: I dont think Okoro is making it too 7. Got Bulls, Hawks and Cavs all in front of us who are probably Interested. I'm actually getting worried about Hayes making it too 7 as well now and he's my guy I want.

I probably go Haliburton in that scenario or maybe your guy Vassell.
Assuming it goes this way:

MIN - Wiseman. They go him, KAT, ?, Beasley and D'Lo

GSW - Edwards. Take him and trade him for win-now pieces

CHA - Okoro. Team him with Rozier, Graham & PJ.

CHI - Ball. White, Zach & Markkanen need someone to set the table. It's either Ball or Deni.

CLE - Deni. They need a 3 given their young guards, Love, Nance & Dre

ATL - Hayes. They've got enough wings and bigs to develop or plug and play. Hayes has the size they could play together at times.

Which leaves us looking at Vassell, Okongwu or Obi.

In that case I think I'd go Vassell simply cause he could become a Klay like player.

Okongwu or Obi might have skills but if it goes that way I'd take the wing that can shoot.

Knicks then take Obi, Wizards take Haliburton as insurance for Wall, Suns get Okongwu and trade him to us for Luke

Wood 30 - Okongwu 18
Blake 28 - Okongwu 10 - Sekou 10
Sekou 18 - Snell 20 - Svi 10
Vassell 28 - Svi 10 - Brown 10
Brown 20 - Rose 28

Patten
Bone
Thomas

Maybe bring in Giles too.

We've got options to lay a base without actually having a franchise kind of talent.

Return to Detroit Pistons