Kennards value?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Re: Kennards value? 

Post#41 » by mattao313 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:41 am

Crymson wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Disagree this isn't the same situation as KCP when the cap was increasing and players were getting crazy money. Now a lot of teams don't have a lot to spend.

KCP became a free agent in 2017, a year past the cap explosion. Very few players got paid much in that offseason, and several who opted out in search of a big payday ended up very disappointed. KCP got a big-money offer from the Pistons because SVG was a dolt.

Also Kennard imo is starting caliber a guy who is a lightsout shooter that can't be left open and can also create a little bit is great as a starter. Kennard has had games where he looked automatic on offense.

Disagree, as he's at his best when handling the ball and will never get much opportunity to do so in the starting lineup. He's also a substantial defensive liability and overall switch risk against starting-caliber opposition.

Either way, Kennard's one and only season of double-digit scoring lasted only 25 games. He's got little pedigree and he's long on injuries.

How is he at best with the ball in his hand? The the guy is a elite catch and shooter if anything he is better off ball, the Pistons had no real play makers so he had to take on that role. Shooting and play making are very valuable in the NBA. Not attempting to keep him is silly its a draft every year I'm not worried about some mid range 1st that isn't guaranteed to net a better player.
Exactly and KCP didn't get what he wanted and had to run to LA where klutch sports had some ties to cover up their blunder. Look what happensed to Noel as well. The cap is in a down turn right now guys will be signing for less.
Instead of middling picks the Pistons need to gather some top 3 picks to net some Allstar quality prospects.
Championships
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#42 » by rmfc » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:59 pm

Has anyone talked about how Kennard consistently gets steamrolled on defense by almost every athletic SG/SF (starter or bench) player?
On a good team, if we ignore all the injury issues, I think Kennard is a good catch and shoot player who also happens to be unselfish. I think he'd make a 4th-5th option on a good team and a bench player on a great team.

Pistons, at this stage, should not be investing any capital in these kinds of prospects/players. I don't think his trade value be any higher than this off-season. You'd just be a gambling man if you want to wait till the trade deadline to trade Kennard
because:
1) He will have to stay completely injury free
2) And play at his personal best level

.. to garner a higher trade value by the deadline.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#43 » by Crymson » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:51 pm

mattao313 wrote:How is he at best with the ball in his hand? The the guy is a elite catch and shooter if anything he is better off ball, the Pistons had no real play makers so he had to take on that role. Shooting and play making are very valuable in the NBA.

He's quite effective on the pick-and-roll, good at setting up teammates, adept at shooting off the dribble, draws a lot of attention thanks to his ability to shoot from anywhere, and performs best when he's allowed to operate on high volume. Take the ball out of his hands and he becomes an unathletic catch-and-shoot guy who plays poor defense. It's a waste.

Kennard is an effective player when he's healthy, confident, and used properly. Unfortunately, that has rarely been the case. And in any event, he's going to do no good for a rebuilding team.

Not attempting to keep him is silly its a draft every year I'm not worried about some mid range 1st that isn't guaranteed to net a better player.

That first-round pick may or may not be better, but he'll be on a low-cost contract for the next four seasons.

Exactly and KCP didn't get what he wanted and had to run to LA where klutch sports had some ties to cover up their blunder. Look what happensed to Noel as well. The cap is in a down turn right now guys will be signing for less.

In this offseason, probably. Next? Hard to say.

Instead of middling picks the Pistons need to gather some top 3 picks to net some Allstar quality prospects.

Easier said than done.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#44 » by edmunder_prc » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:54 pm

rmfc wrote:Has anyone talked about how Kennard consistently gets steamrolled on defense by almost every athletic SG/SF (starter or bench) player?

edmunder_prc wrote:
He [Kennard] is slow, weak and fragile. He cant guard PGs, no way is he fast and agile enough. He cant guard SG, they are bigger, strong and faster.

Kennard is a lot like Svi. Too slow and weak to guard the guy he needs to. Both good at offense, but streaky. Not good enough on offense to be an overall 'plus' to overcome their problems on defense. Its just a wash.

That doesnt get you big, starter player money. He would be a great 6th man. What does a good 6th man make?

Unless Kennard made a jump in fitness/strength/explosiveness he is a 6th man type guy. He would be excellent on the Rockets as a shooter, 6th man, no defense kind of guy.

I looked on espn for salaries, not sure if its last year or this upcoming year: Eric Gordon at 14 million. PJ Tucker a PF at 8 million, Austin Rivers and Ben McLemore at 2 million.

Where does Kennard fit in that spectrum? Bad Defense, can shoot, can pass, can handle a little bit.

Who are other successful SG who cant play defense? Bogdan Bogdanovic - JJ Reddick - Tim Hardaway Jr - Kyle Korver.

Is Kennard one of those guys? Something different?

How does he fit on the Pistons with their ideal team of Sekou being a beast (if that happens)?

PG - ?
SG - Kennard - sub par defense, can shoot well, streaky though, can pass, can handle
SF - ?
Sekou - Long, Fast, Strong, Can shoot, can back guys down
Wood - The whole package, still getting better

That would be weak against someone like Gobert, big Centers.

At PG would require elite defense, handles, etc. A star PG would work with that.
At SF would need elite defense. A 3 and D guy, but upper tier might work.

So that team requires prime Chris Paul to work, essentially. Unless Kennard becomes a Reggie Miller type shooter.

This is the kind of thought experiment that GMs fail to make for some reason.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#45 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:45 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
rmfc wrote:Has anyone talked about how Kennard consistently gets steamrolled on defense by almost every athletic SG/SF (starter or bench) player?

edmunder_prc wrote:
He [Kennard] is slow, weak and fragile. He cant guard PGs, no way is he fast and agile enough. He cant guard SG, they are bigger, strong and faster.

Kennard is a lot like Svi. Too slow and weak to guard the guy he needs to. Both good at offense, but streaky. Not good enough on offense to be an overall 'plus' to overcome their problems on defense. Its just a wash.

That doesnt get you big, starter player money. He would be a great 6th man. What does a good 6th man make?

Unless Kennard made a jump in fitness/strength/explosiveness he is a 6th man type guy. He would be excellent on the Rockets as a shooter, 6th man, no defense kind of guy.

I looked on espn for salaries, not sure if its last year or this upcoming year: Eric Gordon at 14 million. PJ Tucker a PF at 8 million, Austin Rivers and Ben McLemore at 2 million.

Where does Kennard fit in that spectrum? Bad Defense, can shoot, can pass, can handle a little bit.

Who are other successful SG who cant play defense? Bogdan Bogdanovic - JJ Reddick - Tim Hardaway Jr - Kyle Korver.

Is Kennard one of those guys? Something different?

How does he fit on the Pistons with their ideal team of Sekou being a beast (if that happens)?

PG - ?
SG - Kennard - sub par defense, can shoot well, streaky though, can pass, can handle
SF - ?
Sekou - Long, Fast, Strong, Can shoot, can back guys down
Wood - The whole package, still getting better

That would be weak against someone like Gobert, big Centers.

At PG would require elite defense, handles, etc. A star PG would work with that.
At SF would need elite defense. A 3 and D guy, but upper tier might work.

So that team requires prime Chris Paul to work, essentially. Unless Kennard becomes a Reggie Miller type shooter.

This is the kind of thought experiment that GMs fail to make for some reason.
Long term I don't see Luke as a starter but that might be because I don't see him here at all:

Wood
Sekou
Top 5 pick in 2021
Vassell
Top 10 pick in 2022

Brown = 3&D guard
Svi = shooter
Giles = capable F/C
Patton = shotblocker

Plus whatever we've acquired for Luke, Rose, Snell along the way.

Once Blake is off the books we might be able to sign 2 free agents in the same off-season to provide real strength for the bench.

That assumes the kids in the starting 5 develop into quality players though.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Crymson
Rookie

Post#46 » by Crymson » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:33 am

Pharaoh wrote:Brown = 3&D guard

We hope. He's got a long way to go before the '3' part of that is accurate.

Giles = capable F/C

Center only, unless something changes; he can't shoot well from anywhere.

Patton = shotblocker

Maybe at the G-League level. In the NBA, he's been awful at defending the rim during his admittedly very short career thus far. He's on a non-guaranteed contract and may not even make the team next season.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#47 » by Pharaoh » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:10 am

Bruce Brown shot .344 on his 3s... but if you break it down:

Left corner was .393
Right corner was .438
Above the break was .222

That's according to NBA.com too

This idea he's a negative offensively is exaggerated.

mattao313
General Manager

Post#48 » by mattao313 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:26 am

Pharaoh wrote:Bruce Brown shot .344 on his 3s... but if you break it down:

Left corner was .393
Right corner was .438
Above the break was .222

He shoots a very low volume and most of the time he is wide open so him shooting 34% is still bad.
Championships
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#49 » by DBC10 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:35 pm

Left corner was .393
Right corner was .438
Above the break was .222

Yeah, he's not going to light the league with those numbers especially on those attempts, but the fact that he is making steady improvements YoY, is something to take note of for a 2nd rounder. That and he plays decent defense and can get you almost handful of assists per game

I hold on to him next year with the expectation of continued improvement and then go from there. I don't think the FO is in any rush to ship him out in a trade or anything like that though
Garden Of Edens
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#50 » by Garden Of Edens » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:06 am

Bucks fan here. Trade idea I’ve thought of. Bucks trade Bledsoe and receive Rose and Kennard. Thoughts?
bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 392

Post#51 » by bjones521 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:49 am

Garden Of Edens wrote:Bucks fan here. Trade idea I’ve thought of. Bucks trade Bledsoe and receive Rose and Kennard. Thoughts?

Heeellll no! You guys are stuck with Bledsoe until 2022 at the latest until he becomes unrestricted
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#52 » by Pharaoh » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:16 am

Garden Of Edens wrote:Bucks fan here. Trade idea I’ve thought of. Bucks trade Bledsoe and receive Rose and Kennard. Thoughts?
Would require you guys sending us more than Bledsoe for me to agree.

Crymson
Rookie

Post#53 » by Crymson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:37 pm

Left corner was .393
Right corner was .438
Above the break was .222

The above-the-break sector composes about 60% of the three-point line and almost the entirety of the mobile area. Inability to shoot from that sector is a severe shortcoming. Those who cannot are sharply limited as perimeter shooters and severely hindered as ball handlers; defenses are perfectly happy to leave them wide-open at the line and dare them to either take a low-percentage shot or drive into double coverage.

As of last season, Brown's value to the offense was limited to wide-open corner threes. Outside of that, he was a spacing liability who couldn't score effectively on the drive. No player can be effective offensively by simply setting perimeter screens and standing around in the corners. He was absolutely a negative.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#54 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Defenses were sagging off Brown and daring him to shoot alot in the season so he's gotta work on it and make them pay in those situations.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#55 » by Billl » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Brown obviously needs to continue to work on his shooting, but he went from 26% to 34%. The guy is obviously a gym rat, so I think he'll put the time in to become at least respectable from 3. I don't think he'll ever be more than that though.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#56 » by mattao313 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:22 pm

34% on wide open threes is terrible
Championships
Crymson
Rookie

Post#57 » by Crymson » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:25 pm

Billl wrote:Brown obviously needs to continue to work on his shooting, but he went from 26% to 34%. The guy is obviously a gym rat, so I think he'll put the time in to become at least respectable from 3. I don't think he'll ever be more than that though.

His three-point percentage is misleading. It improved thanks to a better performance from the left corner, but Bruce still shot horribly from above the break and sank only one three per game overall.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#58 » by Invictus88 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:30 pm

Crymson wrote:
Billl wrote:Brown obviously needs to continue to work on his shooting, but he went from 26% to 34%. The guy is obviously a gym rat, so I think he'll put the time in to become at least respectable from 3. I don't think he'll ever be more than that though.

His three-point percentage is misleading. It improved thanks to a better performance from the left corner, but Bruce still shot horribly from above the break and sank only one three per game overall.

I think this is the year to really find out about BB. RJ and LG are gone and take with them a bunch of 3p attempts. So guys like BB and Luke need to fill the void or move on. We're going to be bad but I'm actually kind of excited :)
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#59 » by 440BB » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:00 pm

Luke's value to the Pistons depends on Svi's development as well. Should Svi show enough progress, Luke could be moved for a pick or two by the deadline.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,773

Post#60 » by Snakebites » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:27 pm

mattao313 wrote:

Left corner was .393
Right corner was .438
Above the break was .222

He shoots a very low volume and most of the time he is wide open so him shooting 34% is still bad.

34 percent when he’s open means there are nights (many) where you can leave him alone out there.

Little gravity. If you’re going to be limited offensively you need to at least be able to draw the defense. 34 percent isn’t horrific but it’s not good enough given how little else he brings on that end.

Return to Detroit Pistons