ImageImageImage

Trevor Ariza and 16. Official Woj

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Re: Trevor Ariza and 16. Official Woj 

Post#21 » by The Moose » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:34 am

bstein14 wrote:Ariza's deal is fully guaranteed now and he likely will be starting for us next year.

i would bet against that
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,055

Post#22 » by Laimbeer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:35 am

BR says 2020-21 partially guaranteed for $1.8M
kingmob
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#23 » by kingmob » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:35 am

WE sold our 2nd for 5 million to Houston. Pretty sure it is a reimbursement for Ariza's contract, which is only partially guaranteed (not sure if its already been picked up or not)
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#24 » by chrbal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:35 am

bstein14 wrote:Ariza's deal is fully guaranteed now and he likely will be starting for us next year.

I’d be surprised if he lasted a week here
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#25 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:43 am

I mean its ok. My only fear is if somehow we turn out being a non lotto team in 2 or 3 seasons and miss out on our 1st rounder the year high school players can go straight to pros. Thats not likely unless we make some big moves.

If the plan is to steady rebuild through the draft might Iike it depending on who we draft. Obv its easy to like it right this minute because we get another pick. My other concern is this draft is a weak draft so if we give them a top 20 in another draft its going to be worth more but its obv a fun move to have another pick today.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#26 » by Han Solo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:44 am

Ariza is getting bought out it looks like. Just saw it
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#27 » by pistonpat » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:46 am

Han Solo wrote:Ariza is getting bought out it looks like. Just saw it

Why not trade him if he is in such demand? Why do those contenders a favor and buy him out ?
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#28 » by vege » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:48 am

buzzkilloton wrote:I mean its ok. My only fear is if somehow we turn out being a non lotto team in 2 or 3 seasons and miss out on our 1st rounder the year high school players can go straight to pros. Thats not likely unless we make some big moves.

If the plan is to steady rebuild through the draft might Iike it depending on who we draft. Obv its easy to like it right this minute because we get another pick. My other concern is this draft is a weak draft so if we give them a top 20 in another draft its going to be worth more but its obv a fun move to have another pick today.

It's more than that. No one has enough information on the players because of the situation we've been having this year. The odds are, people will make terrible choices this draft. We're giving up a pick in possibly a better draft and with a better opportunity to scout the player we take. This is a disaster. Even if we use this pick to move up, we don't have enough information to know if the player we're taking is really good. We could move up to draft the next Anthony Bennett :banghead:
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#29 » by Pharaoh » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:50 am

vege wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:I mean its ok. My only fear is if somehow we turn out being a non lotto team in 2 or 3 seasons and miss out on our 1st rounder the year high school players can go straight to pros. Thats not likely unless we make some big moves.

It's more than that. No one has enough information on the players because of the situation we've been having this year. The odds are, people will make terrible choices this draft. We're giving up a pick in possibly a better draft and with a better opportunity to scout the player we take. This is a disaster. Even if we use this pick to move up, we don't have enough information to know if the player we're taking is really good. We could move up to draft the next Anthony Bennett :banghead:
It's a disaster? Acquiring 16 for a super protected first is not a disaster.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
vege
RealGM

Post#30 » by vege » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:54 am

Pharaoh wrote:
vege wrote:

It's not a super protected. It's a pick they'll get back in the future. We're not getting anything here. We get a pick now, and we give back later, and the pick we give back later will very likely be better because of the reasons I explained in my post.

It's a complete disaster. We even gave away one of those 2nds you guys love for Cash to Gore. Proving we gave away Brown for free to Brooklyn.
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#31 » by TPA » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:55 am

The move is partly a salary dump for the Pistons, as Ariza is entering the final year of his contract and is due $12.8 million. Previously, only $1.8 million of it the contract was guaranteed, but in matching salaries in the Covington trade, the guarantee could be about $7.1 million.

-Detroit FP
The Moose
General Manager

Post#32 » by The Moose » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:56 am

vege wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
vege wrote:

It's not a super protected. It's a pick they'll get back in the future. We're not getting anything here. We get a pick now, and we give back later, and the pick we give back later will very likely be better because of the reasons I explained in my post.

It's a complete disaster. We even gave away one of those 2nds you guys love for Cash to Gore. Proving we gave away Brown for free to Brooklyn.

Its a lot more likely we give back 2 2nd round picks than a first
The Moose
General Manager

Post#33 » by The Moose » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:57 am

I seriously doubt we would make this trade if we didnt have plans to rebuild completely for the next couple of years
vege
RealGM

Post#34 » by vege » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:57 am

The Moose wrote:
vege wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:It's a disaster? Acquiring 16 for a super protected first is not a disaster.

Its a lot more likely we give back 2 2nd round picks than a first

It's not. If it was, it would be fine. It's more likely we give back a pick around the same place we got, but a few years in the future.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#35 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:58 am

Question: does this mean that the Pistons have to hold onto their picks each year going forward? Or at least until they find out what number it is, then they can do something with it?
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,055

Post#36 » by Laimbeer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:58 am

I'd have refused to include the future first. The 16 to eat Ariza. Maybe a second back.
vege
RealGM

Post#37 » by vege » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:59 am

ByeByeDre wrote:Question: does this mean that the Pistons have to hold onto their picks each year going forward? Or at least until they find out what number it is, then they can do something with it?

Yes it does. Which makes this even worse.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#38 » by Pharaoh » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:01 am

vege wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
vege wrote:

Top 9 protected for 4 years is not a complete disaster!

It actually suggests Weaver is going to build through the Draft.

This is what we've wanted for years and you're going to rain on a glimpse of optimism because of some pick in the 10-14 slot you believe will be conveyed at some point in the next 4 years?

You do you man.

I'm get ready for the Draft

DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#39 » by DetroitSho » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:02 am

I must be in a bizzaro world. I have no idea how this is seen as bad.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#40 » by chrbal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:03 am

His guarantee is for around $6.4 million .

Return to Detroit Pistons