22%

Total votes: 58

DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Re: Grade the Stewart pick!!! 

Post#101 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:20 pm

flow wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:I’m not a fan of centers who can’t face the basket and score. My concern is that the Pistons signed two centers ahead of him after the draft. I have a bad feeling that we will see him in the G-League. I’m not as high on the draft as others. I felt that we drafted role players with low ceilings verse guys with high upsides (Hayes of course).

But they didn't draft Stewart with the intent to start him, or even play him much, this year. This was pick #16, not #6. Rebuild means you're collecting pieces to build with. He's one of them. Doesn't mean he's ready now. In the mean time, they have to field a team this year and bring in some vets. There's one true vet center ahead of him. That's it.

The Pistons are rebuilding. You need players to come in and develop. If you draft a guy and keep him on the bench, why draft him? Plumlee is untradeable and Okafor probably backs up the C spot. We drafted him 16th overall. He needs to be in the rotation. We aren’t winning anything. It makes no sense to let full rebuilding clubs to keep draft picks on the bench.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#102 » by MotownMadness » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:41 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
I’ll take talent and upside over that everyday.

Have you ever even watched him play? Some of you are bashing someone you didn't even know who he was until draft night.
I agree that some, including myself are being a bit presumptuous but can you blame any Pistons fan for saying these things?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DET/draft.html

Trust me, ill bet dollars to doughnuts that every fan of this team is rooting for the big guy to become a centerpiece (pun intended) but after years, and years of being the treadmill other teams treadmill upon, it's hard to get excited about much.

Stewart intrigues me to be certain, but I'm tampering any enthusiasm I have after Andre, and now Wood being let go in favor Plumlee, and Grant.

Look I'm not even saying hes gonna bea All-Star or anything but he has a good floor today with plenty of time to get better. I'm happy if we get a productive 19 year old big at 16 and I think he will be.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#103 » by Pharaoh » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:29 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:
flow wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:I’m not a fan of centers who can’t face the basket and score. My concern is that the Pistons signed two centers ahead of him after the draft. I have a bad feeling that we will see him in the G-League. I’m not as high on the draft as others. I felt that we drafted role players with low ceilings verse guys with high upsides (Hayes of course).

But they didn't draft Stewart with the intent to start him, or even play him much, this year. This was pick #16, not #6. Rebuild means you're collecting pieces to build with. He's one of them. Doesn't mean he's ready now. In the mean time, they have to field a team this year and bring in some vets. There's one true vet center ahead of him. That's it.

The Pistons are rebuilding. You need players to come in and develop. If you draft a guy and keep him on the bench, why draft him? Plumlee is untradeable and Okafor probably backs up the C spot. We drafted him 16th overall. He needs to be in the rotation. We aren’t winning anything. It makes no sense to let full rebuilding clubs to keep draft picks on the bench.
He's 19 years old!

You don't draft a 19 year old and throw him out there immediately!

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#104 » by 440BB » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:08 pm

With a couple weeks to get ready before the season we would be fools to put the rookies on the floor for significant minutes at the start of the season. That would be a short sighted mistake.

Developing and increasing minutes for the young players is not at all like "keeping them on the bench". Sheesh.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Post#105 » by tradez401 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:18 pm

Stewart won't get minutes anyways with plumlee, okafor, blake, with some sekou commanding minutes at the 4/5 positions this season.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#106 » by rmfc » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:36 pm

tradez401 wrote:Stewart won't get minutes anyways with plumlee, okafor, blake, with some sekou commanding minutes at the 4/5 positions this season.

It feels as if there were two (completely incompatible) plans for this team. In the draft, it seemed like all the moves were pointing to a complete rebuild and potentially a high reliance on youth movement. Then, the FA moves happened where it seemed like the franchise was trying to get into the playoffs no matter what.

Unfortunately, both plans were meant for the same franchise and, clearly, with someone like Casey (and Gores) at the helm, the 1st plan will not come to fruition any time soon.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#107 » by whitehops » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:25 am

the more i watch/read of stewart the more i like this pick:

he gives me the impression that he's smart, passionate and a hard worker. i also like the fact that he's not super naturally gifted because it means he's had to work hard for everything he's gotten so far. things like wiseman always being ranked ahead, him being labeled as a high floor/low ceiling player, etc. almost gives him a permanent underdog mentality and forces him to keep pushing himself.

i love the fact that he's big into synergy. he also mentioned in the introductory press conference that he's looked up his fellow rookie teammates on synergy which really bodes well for his transition because you know he's going to looking into his opponents and their tendencies.

his lack of explosion also means that he's had to learn and use other things to his advantage like using his body/physicality, using proper angles, footwork/touch, etc.

he's pretty much the opposite of drummond and will be a breath of fresh air for pistons fans (and a lot easier to cheer for), even if he does have some struggles.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#108 » by tmorgan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:33 am

Plus he’s ripped but has a fat face. Entertaining.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#109 » by BJK1 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:21 pm

Read on Twitter
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#110 » by El Chivo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:00 pm

I like him but I don't like a 16th pick used for an energy guy
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#111 » by DBC10 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:34 pm

El Chivo wrote:I like him but I don't like a 16th pick used for an energy guy

Yeah. At best he turns out into a Montrezl clone but considering how weak this year's draft was, I don't think we overreached like some pundits thought.

It is strange the hoops we jumped to get Stewart though
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#112 » by Canadafan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:59 pm

First time watching our team last night. Was great seeing our young players. Love Stewart
Loved jackson. Bey and Hayes looked solid. All hardworking, defense playing guys.
Hope we can keep Jackson since hes semi blowing up into a good player.
Found myself cheering for us to lose. Dont want that to continue too long. Not sure I have the stomach to tank for two seasons lol
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#113 » by edmunder_prc » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:34 pm

"7’4 wingspan, and a 9’0.5′ standing reach as a senior in high school"

I saw his wingspan was actually 7'4.75", so basically 7'5" wingspan.

Watching him last night, when Stewart rebounds with one arm and uses the other arm to block out, he was getting nearly 100% of the rebounds he went for.

A 100% contested rebound rate is Rodman level. It was the GSW though, but a few times it was him and 3-4 GSW guys and he still came down with the rebound.

He is also 19. 05/22/01 (19.6 yrs). Won't turn 20 until May.

When he gets to be 25 he is going to be like a dump truck hurdling down the lane.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#114 » by whitehops » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:52 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Watching him last night, when Stewart rebounds with one arm and uses the other arm to block out, he was getting nearly 100% of the rebounds he went for.

A 100% contested rebound rate is Rodman level. It was the GSW though, but a few times it was him and 3-4 GSW guys and he still came down with the rebound.

He is also 19. 05/22/01 (19.6 yrs). Won't turn 20 until May.

When he gets to be 25 he is going to be like a dump truck hurdling down the lane.

it's obviously a tiiiiny sample size but he has 9 offensive rebounds in 38 minutes so far. the league leaders with 17 are jarrett allen and tristan thompson and they've done it in about 90 minutes. allen's offensive rebounding percentage is 20.8, while stewart's is 23.6. drummond led the league in ORB% a bunch of years and he only cracked 18% once.

hopefully by 25 the game will have slowed down for him and he can use his energy more efficiently. in the meantime, his "see-ball, get-ball" mentality combined with his motor and size are a lot of fun to watch. anyone who has played at any level of ball knows how annoying those kinds of guys are to go up against and i'm glad we have one on our side.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#115 » by Sort » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:31 pm

DBC10 wrote:
El Chivo wrote:I like him but I don't like a 16th pick used for an energy guy

Yeah. At best he turns out into a Montrezl clone but considering how weak this year's draft was, I don't think we overreached like some pundits thought.

It is strange the hoops we jumped to get Stewart though

If you said hey, you can have at worse Montrezl at 16, what team wouldn't take him? He's perpetually in the conversation as one of the best - if not the best - bench players in the league. He has his limitations like every NBA player - but that's a solid pick at 10, 16, 26, whatever.

I also think this is short sighted for what Stewart can become. I agree with Casey that once he gets his reputation established in this league as a legit defensive presence, he will even get better with a little more space from the refs.

He's going to be fun to cheer for.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#116 » by Drwho17 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
flow wrote:

He's 19 years old!

You don't draft a 19 year old and throw him out there immediately!

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

And Killian Hayes is how old? Anyway your point stands especially this year with none of them playing in quite some time and such a limited preseason.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#117 » by BJK1 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Lofty praise from Casey for Stewart.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#118 » by Sort » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:35 pm

Will he get PT once Okafor is healthy? Hard to believe Casey would go with a rookie over a vet - but I do think there's topdown pressure from Weaver. He did put him in over Plumlee for crunch time.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,721

Post#119 » by zeebneeb » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:53 pm

Sort wrote:Will he get PT once Okafor is healthy? Hard to believe Casey would go with a rookie over a vet - but I do think there's topdown pressure from Weaver. He did put him in over Plumlee for crunch time.
Look at it this way. While there is almost zero pressure on Casey to win(even our coked out owner knows the team will suck this year)there is tremendous pressure on Weaver, as one of the main reasons he was brought on board, was for drafting. The Pistons have utterly sucked at drafting. Weaver knows these picks have to produce and I guarantee he is telling Casey to play the picks or else.

Oddly enough, both Bey and Stewart have shown that they were good picks. In Bey's last game, in the 15 minutes Casey gave him, he was splendid. Stewart is a machine no matter the time he gets.

I am flummoxed by Hayes thus far. He has had micro moments of brilliance; a laser pass to a player no one else saw, said player misses the shot, then Hayes turns it over so everyone forgets the amazing pass. He hits an on balance three then turns it over again, and flails around in the lane. On a series of possessions, I watched him use his right hand to get into the lane and score, and then on the next possession he picked up his dribble got trapped, and turned the ball over.

The second half of that one game without Blake it looked as if he turned a corner. He was steady, and in control, and then flamed out the next game with Blake.

In any event, Weaver obviously told Casey to pull his head out of his ass.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#120 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:00 pm

From SB Nation

So far this season, the Detroit Pistons have been at their best with Isaiah Stewart. The team has a +6.3 net rating when he’s on the floor, the best of any player in the regular rotation. But the defense has been far more generous with Stewart playing as opposed to Jahlil Okafor and Mason Plumlee

Return to Detroit Pistons