ImageImageImage

Jahlil Okafar signs with Pistons

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 42

Re: Jahlil Okafar signs with Pistons 

Post#41 » by pistonpat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:59 am

Decent signing at the price. Plumlee is still a head scratcher, especially given Woods situation.
pistonsbball
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#42 » by pistonsbball » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:45 pm

This is the worst signing for mine. Totally unnecessary after bringing in Bradley, let alone Plumlee. At least those two have something to offer, Okafor's skillset and athletic profile will never make it in today's NBA. He's a 6'10 Boban Marjanovic.
BJK1
Junior
And1: 137

Post#43 » by BJK1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:28 pm

I’d have been puzzled by this signing on its own, but for 2 years at the vet minimum, I wouldn’t have given it much thought. Actually, in a way, it would have been a nice tanking move. But this signing with the addition of Plumlee makes no sense.
BJK1
Junior
And1: 137

Post#44 » by BJK1 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Coach K on Okafor:

https://www.si.com/college/duke/basketball/coach-k-on-jahlil-okafors-personal-growth

The “needs to transform his game for the NBA” part isn’t great, but not a surprise. But it sounds like he’s grown up, which is encouraging.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 6,422

Post#45 » by Snakebites » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:34 pm

The only reason I particularly care about this one is because it takes minutes from Stewart and was otherwise entirely unnecessary in the context of other moves we made.

It still doesn't reach Plumlee or Grant levels.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#46 » by zeebneeb » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:06 am

Snakebites wrote:The only reason I particularly care about this one is because it takes minutes from Stewart and was otherwise entirely unnecessary in the context of other moves we made.

It's another flyer move for sure.

Now we have #3, 4, and #7 picks on one team!

(Its the only way the Pistons are ever getting a pick above 7 again, let's be honest here)
JustinSane
Rookie
And1: 27

Post#47 » by JustinSane » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:32 pm

I quite liked the signing because I believe Okafor has the potential to have a Corliss Williamson like impact off the bench. If he can reach that, that's a very valuable asset for a minimum contract. He's too limited to ever be a starter, but his post game is legit, and in the right spots he could turn into a weapon off of the bench.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,263

Post#48 » by DBC10 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:48 pm

Jahlil Okafor, Nerlens Noel, etc shows you how the state of centers are right now. If these guys were born in the 80s, they'd be seen as top players in the 90's-00s.

Okafor at least had a lot of crafty potential, sort of like a more active version of Greg Monroe, but still kept getting bounced around teams. Hopefully he rehabs his value since I like players with post games.
Jstock12
General Manager
And1: 16,278

Post#49 » by Jstock12 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:25 pm

DBC10 wrote:Jahlil Okafor, Nerlens Noel, etc shows you how the state of centers are right now. If these guys were born in the 80s, they'd be seen as top players in the 90's-00s

No.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 203

Post#50 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:51 pm

Snakebites wrote:The only reason I particularly care about this one is because it takes minutes from Stewart and was otherwise entirely unnecessary in the context of other moves we made.

I’d have been ok with Okafor being brought in to start and Stewart play 10-15 minutes off the bench while easing him into longer term action. I just don’t like having Plumlee blocking Stewart. We’re basically wasting one to two years of his rookie deals by playing guys ahead of him who probably wouldn’t be around in 2-3 years. I don’t see Stewart being anything besides victory cigar 2.0 this season with all the signings and trades that have occurred this offseason.
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#51 » by Pharaoh » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:45 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:

I’d have been ok with Okafor being brought in to start and Stewart play 10-15 minutes off the bench while easing him into longer term action. I just don’t like having Plumlee blocking Stewart. We’re basically wasting one to two years of his rookie deals by playing guys ahead of him who probably wouldn’t be around in 2-3 years. I don’t see Stewart being anything besides victory cigar 2.0 this season with all the signings and trades that have occurred this offseason.
If Stewart can't beat out Okafor for minutes then he shouldn't be out there anyway

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 6,422

Post#52 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:02 pm

DBC10 wrote:Jahlil Okafor, Nerlens Noel, etc shows you how the state of centers are right now. If these guys were born in the 80s, they'd be seen as top players in the 90's-00s.

Okafor at least had a lot of crafty potential, sort of like a more active version of Greg Monroe, but still kept getting bounced around teams. Hopefully he rehabs his value since I like players with post games.

At least with Okafor, I'll push back on this a bit, I feel like it undersells 90's big men a bit.

What "top" 90s big man would you say Okafor is the equivalent to?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 2,234

Post#53 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:41 pm

Snakebites wrote:
DBC10 wrote:Jahlil Okafor, Nerlens Noel, etc shows you how the state of centers are right now. If these guys were born in the 80s, they'd be seen as top players in the 90's-00s.

At least with Okafor, I'll push back on this a bit, I feel like it undersells 90's big men a bit.

I actually think Okafor could have a big break out season for us. He averaged 17+ PPG as a rookie in this league, on a bad Philly team. You know he looked at what Christian Wood was able to do here with an opportunity and he is thinking about being able to play himself into a nice contract. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a double digit scorer for us this year if Stewart isn't ready to come in and be part of the rotation in year one.

Also, how sad would it be if Okafor and Stewart beat out Plumlee and his $25 million contract. It would be great to see but also sad we would have so much money in a third stringer it would be like SVG paying Boban all that money all over again.
440BB
Junior
And1: 220

Post#54 » by 440BB » Yesterday 1:13 am

If Okafor shows up in shape, keeps scoring and plays adequate defense I'll be surprised but happy. I'd hope he'd show enough promise to get swapped for a pick while he's on the upswing. I see him as a calculated risk and would enjoy seeing it pay off but don't think he's a fit to the style they want to play.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,263

Post#55 » by DBC10 » Yesterday 11:11 pm

Snakebites wrote:

Maybe 90's and "top" label was stretching it a bit, but 00's I think he would've fit in really well.

Return to Detroit Pistons