General Manager
And1: 5,095

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#181 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:55 am

BDM22 wrote:
The Moose wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Ironically a worse 4 than Christian Wood

he had some good games in the bubble and seems to think he's ready for a huge role, im just not seeing it

This is one of those “Casey got irrationally obsessed with a guy who torched us” signings, isn’t it?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202002250DEN.html

i think its a Weaver thing back to their time in OKC together
JosephMamah
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#182 » by JosephMamah » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 am

mattao313 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:
Can’t wait to see what he does tomorrow!!

Hey Weaver can still use the room exception, so he can still sign Nerlens Noel to a 2 year/$10 mil deal.

Detroit needs ALL the centers.

This is crazy we just gave Jeram Grant 20 mil per to be a main option on offense like how does this make any sense? Is it time to get the paper bags out?

It's the perfect tank move really, pretty much win win for the Pistons, the kid gets a year to see what he can do. either he bombs out as a 1st/2nd option and we end up with one of the worst records in the league, in a year that's expected to have star caliber talent at the top of the draft. Or he takes the step, becomes a star and jumpstarts the rebuild.

Worse comes to worst, in year 3 of the deal he'll still at least be a long, athletic, versatile, hard working defender with high bball iq and a nice 3 point shot. It shouldn't be hard to find a contender willing to send us 20 milion in bad contracts and a nice draft pick or two to add him for a playoff run. if we want to get rid of him.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#183 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 am

coordinator0 wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Dude is not a 4

He’s a hustle 3-and-D type 3 who can maybe play spot minutes at the 4.

He’s 210 lbs and his career-best for rebounds per is 5.2

He played most of his minutes at the 4 with the Nuggets.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/grantje01/lineups/2020

Some spot time at the 3, but he was the man next to Jokic for the most part.

He averaged 3.5 boards/per last season.

He’s NOT a PF
The Moose
General Manager

Post#184 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 am

JosephMamah wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Hey Weaver can still use the room exception, so he can still sign Nerlens Noel to a 2 year/$10 mil deal.

This is crazy we just gave Jeram Grant 20 mil per to be a main option on offense like how does this make any sense? Is it time to get the paper bags out?

It's the perfect tank move really, pretty much win win for the Pistons, the kid gets a year to see what he can do. either he bombs out as a 1st/2nd option and we end up with one of the worst records in the league, in a year that's expected to have star caliber talent at the top of the draft. Or he takes the step, becomes a star and jumpstarts the rebuild.

Worse comes to worst, in year 3 of the deal he'll still at least be a long, athletic, versatile, hard working defender with high bball iq and a nice 3 point shot. It shouldn't be hard to find a contender willing to send us 20 milion in bad contracts and a nice draft pick or two to add him for a playoff run.

I would be 100% on board for this, if we didnt still have Blake and Rose. He will be 3rd option at best with those guys here and we will be competing for the 8th seed. Actually if we can get rid of just one of those 2, I would be on board with this.

Rose of course is much more likely to be moved
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#185 » by coordinator0 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 am

The Moose wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not quite cleanly into it though. Stretching Dedmon and McGruder only opened up a bit over $14.6 million.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#186 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 am

The Moose wrote:
Read on Twitter

The sad part is with those 2 contracts not being guaranteed next season, they could of held some solid value next summer for teams looking to create cap room for the loaded free agent class.

Now they'll just be a perpetual thorn in Detroit's side for the next 5 years
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#187 » by coordinator0 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:58 am

Piston Pete wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

He’s NOT a PF

Yet it's still where he played.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#188 » by mattao313 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:59 am

JosephMamah wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Worse comes to worst, in year 3 of the deal he'll still at least be a long, athletic, versatile, hard working defender with high bball iq and a nice 3 point shot. It shouldn't be hard to find a contender willing to send us 20 milion in bad contracts and a nice draft pick or two to add him for a playoff run.

We could have just did this with the young guys we drafted and used the cap space to get more assets for bad deals.
Championships
JosephMamah
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#189 » by JosephMamah » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:02 am

The Moose wrote:
JosephMamah wrote:
mattao313 wrote:This is crazy we just gave Jeram Grant 20 mil per to be a main option on offense like how does this make any sense? Is it time to get the paper bags out?

I would be 100% on board for this, if we didnt still have Blake and Rose. He will be 3rd option at best with those guys here and we will be competing for the 8th seed

Yeah, I'm still holding out hope that Blake is gone somehow before the season starts. I'll probably end up disappointed on that one tho
thesack12
RealGM

Post#190 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:02 am

The Moose wrote:
JosephMamah wrote:
mattao313 wrote:This is crazy we just gave Jeram Grant 20 mil per to be a main option on offense like how does this make any sense? Is it time to get the paper bags out?

I would be 100% on board for this, if we didnt still have Blake and Rose. He will be 3rd option at best with those guys here and we will be competing for the 8th seed

Yeah Weaver's hurricane of moves should have taught us one of two things.

1) Both Rose and Griffin's markets are completely flat lined. There appears to be zero interest in those guys
2) Weaver intended to keep Rose and Griffin all along while building around them and chasing that illustrious 8th seed
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,981

Post#191 » by BDM22 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:02 am

Piston Pete wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

He’s NOT a PF

He’s a tweener who can’t rebound.

Good thing we got a guy to block Sekou’s playing time for the duration of his rookie deal. Not to mention also blocking Bey’s path to serious minutes.

Perhaps we can work on stretching their contracts as well? Use that money to pick up another center.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#192 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:02 am

Right.

Take this guy and a pick
Take this guy and a pick

Accumulate future picks.

We did the opposite. We GAVE picks and young guys in order to free up cap space to cripple our cap for 3 years....
The Moose
General Manager

Post#193 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:03 am

JosephMamah wrote:
The Moose wrote:
JosephMamah wrote:

Yeah, I'm still holding out hope that Blake is gone somehow before the season starts. I'll probably end up disappointed on that one tho

Rose would be very easy to trade though. Pretty much any contender would take him in return for some small assets. We should be trading him somewhere like GSW who needs a 6th man
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#194 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:03 am

thesack12 wrote:
The Moose wrote:
JosephMamah wrote:

1) Both Rose and Griffin's markets are completely flat lined. There appears to be zero interest in those guys
2) Weaver intended to keep Rose and Griffin all along while building around them and chasing that illustrious 8th seed

I think we’re at #2. I doubt he tried trading Blake or Rose at all
The Moose
General Manager

Post#195 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:04 am

Piston Pete wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
The Moose wrote:

hm i think its a mix. Griffin has no market, and they refuse to trade Rose
The Moose
General Manager

Post#196 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:05 am

John Hollinger on our deals

Detroit went all in to get the Nuggets’ fourth-best player, waiving the recently acquired Dewayne Dedmon and Rodney McGruder and incurring an additional $3.7 million cap charge each of the next five seasons. My BORD$ [estimated real value based on performance] formula says Grant will be worth about $7.6 million next season; the Nuggets were significantly better when he was of the floor in both the regular season and the postseason. His contract is, by leaps and bounds, the worst free agent value thus far.

In fact, now the full plan has come together, one can see that the entire reason the Pistons traded FOUR second-round picks to turn Luke Kennard into Saddiq Bey and Rodney McGruder was because the non-guaranteed second year on McGruder’s deal was much more favorable to using the stretch provision. Similarly, trading Tony Snell and Khyri Thomas for Dedmon – who also had a lightly guaranteed second season – permitted the same maneuver.

The Pistons wouldn’t have needed to do any of these gymnastics had they not inexplicably also dropped a three-year, $25 million deal on Mason Plumlee (BORD$ value: $3.3 million), a pretty generic backup 5 who is not likely to be demonstrably better than recently acquired Tony Bradley or first-round draft pick Isaiah Stewart.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#197 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:06 am

The Moose wrote:
JosephMamah wrote:
The Moose wrote:

Rose would be very easy to trade though. Pretty much any contender would take him in return for some small assets. We should be trading him somewhere like GSW who needs a 6th man

You would think so, but he's still around. Detroit reportedly tried shopping him at the deadline as well.

I just don't think he holds much value around the league. Detroit was able to sign him for less than the MLE to start with, which should tell us something.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#198 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:06 am

The Moose wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

hm i think its a mix. Griffin has no market, and they refuse to trade Rose

We just traded for Dedmon and Ariza and gave Jerami Grant $20 mil per.

Don’t tell me Blake has no market to a contending team needing PF help
The Moose
General Manager

Post#199 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:07 am

thesack12 wrote:
The Moose wrote:
JosephMamah wrote:

You would think so, but he's still around. Detroit reportedly tried shopping him at the deadline as well.

I just don't think he holds much value around the league. Detroit was able to sign him for less than the MLE to start with, which should tell us something.

I thought the story Rose didn't want to be traded and the Pistons were respecting his wishes
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#200 » by mattao313 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:07 am

For all the hate SVG gets at least we know what his intentions were. I still have no clue what Weaver is trying to do, is he the first ever to intentionally build a 9th seed team?
Championships

Return to Detroit Pistons