ImageImageImage

Pistons sign Jerami Grant

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

SamFlow
Senior
Posts: 671
And1: 139
Joined: Feb 21, 2001
     

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#281 » by SamFlow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:34 am

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelrush/2019/07/30/film-study-jerami-grants-defense-is-exactly-what-the-nuggets-needed/?sh=35b71be5346b

Reminds me of Sekou running against the sf's when he first came on.

Small ball center. Run him against opposing best players. versatile.

Liking the signing more and more.

I imagine he'll play some at center, some at pf, and some at sf.
BigDaddyJungle
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,329
And1: 3,385
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#282 » by Pharaoh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:47 am

thesack12 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
You forgot Delon Wright, Josh Jackson, Rodney McGruder, Musa.

All the kids are buried.


Kids are buried? By whom?

Plumlee? You think he averages more than 24 minutes a game?

McGruder? Dude is 29 and almost got stretched so that indicates where he sits on our priority list.

Are Blake and Rose going to bury the kids given their histories?



Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app


Hayes is a 1
Jackson is a 2/3
Svi is a 2/3
Sekou is a 3/4
Bey is a 3/4
Stewart is a 5/4

Wright is a 1/2 thus blocking Hayes & Jackson
McGruder is a 2 thus blocking Jackson, Svi
Grant is a 3/4 thus blocking all of Sekou, Bey, Stewart, Svi and Jackson
Plumlee is a 5/4 thus blocking Stewart and any other young 4 options.

Seems kind of odd to think that Weaver would have signed Grant and Plumlee to the contracts he did, if he didn't envision them to approach 30 MPG territory. Also seems like Weaver held back on stretching McGruder for a reason. If he brings a Bruce Brown type profile to the table, do we really think Casey isn't going to use this guy?

And yes I absolutely believe that Rose and Blake are gonna get ridden frequently until they aren't healthy enough to be on the floor. Especially since Dwane Casey will be the guy most in charge of minute allocations.


All good points but neither of us actually know:

IF Wright will block Hayes & Jackson

IF McGruder will block Jackson, Svi, Hayes

IF Grant's presence will block all those guys.

IF Plumlee will significantly block Stewart & other younger options.

Plumlee has NEVER averaged 30 minutes a game in his career! Has come close ONCE in the 2016-17 season (IIRC).

Dude got less than the full MLE for 3 years and you envision him being a roadblock? Why?

Assuming a relatively healthy Blake and Rose for a full season isn't something I'd do. And based on the moves we've made it seems Weaver doesn't believe that either.

This all really does blow my mind!

People wanted to nuke the team and finally rebuild through the draft, take chances on young guys with potential...Weaver did that! Got rave reviews for Draft Day too.

Some of us also wanted to have a few steady vets around to teach them...tank without going full Hinkie. Weaver has done that too.

I'm not sitting here blowing up cause Giles wasn't signed, cause we didn't make a move for Vassell or Flynn, didn't take shots at certain young dudes I preferred.

What I wanted is in full execution mode!

I can question the "who" but I don't have extensive background info on all these guys!

Until I see Casey roll out a vet line up, until I see us make a "7th/8th seed or bust" move I'll reserve criticism and just roll with:

Hayes, Wright
Jackson, Svi
Grant, Bey, Musa
Sekou, Stewart
Okafor, Bradley

That's 11 young dudes with damn near ZERO real experience in the league!

The one guy I named who does have experience just left the same money on the table to come here, betting on himself to become "more"!

If that's not a Piston thing to do then I got nothing for you.



Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Canadafan
Veteran
Posts: 2,753
And1: 915
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
       

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#283 » by Canadafan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:53 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
Kids are buried? By whom?

Plumlee? You think he averages more than 24 minutes a game?

McGruder? Dude is 29 and almost got stretched so that indicates where he sits on our priority list.

Are Blake and Rose going to bury the kids given their histories?



Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app


Hayes is a 1
Jackson is a 2/3
Svi is a 2/3
Sekou is a 3/4
Bey is a 3/4
Stewart is a 5/4

Wright is a 1/2 thus blocking Hayes & Jackson
McGruder is a 2 thus blocking Jackson, Svi
Grant is a 3/4 thus blocking all of Sekou, Bey, Stewart, Svi and Jackson
Plumlee is a 5/4 thus blocking Stewart and any other young 4 options.

Seems kind of odd to think that Weaver would have signed Grant and Plumlee to the contracts he did, if he didn't envision them to approach 30 MPG territory. Also seems like Weaver held back on stretching McGruder for a reason. If he brings a Bruce Brown type profile to the table, do we really think Casey isn't going to use this guy?

And yes I absolutely believe that Rose and Blake are gonna get ridden frequently until they aren't healthy enough to be on the floor. Especially since Dwane Casey will be the guy most in charge of minute allocations.


All good points but neither of us actually know:

IF Wright will block Hayes & Jackson

IF McGruder will block Jackson, Svi, Hayes

IF Grant's presence will block all those guys.

IF Plumlee will significantly block Stewart & other younger options.

Plumlee has NEVER averaged 30 minutes a game in his career! Has come close ONCE in the 2016-17 season (IIRC).

Dude got less than the full MLE for 3 years and you envision him being a roadblock? Why?

Assuming a relatively healthy Blake and Rose for a full season isn't something I'd do. And based on the moves we've made it seems Weaver doesn't believe that either.

This all really does blow my mind!

People wanted to nuke the team and finally rebuild through the draft, take chances on young guys with potential...Weaver did that! Got rave reviews for Draft Day too.

Some of us also wanted to have a few steady vets around to teach them...tank without going full Hinkie. Weaver has done that too.

I'm not sitting here blowing up cause Giles wasn't signed, cause we didn't make a move for Vassell or Flynn, didn't take shots at certain young dudes I preferred.

What I wanted is in full execution mode!

I can question the "who" but I don't have extensive background info on all these guys!

Until I see Casey roll out a vet line up, until I see us make a "7th/8th seed or bust" move I'll reserve criticism and just roll with:

Hayes, Wright
Jackson, Svi
Grant, Bey, Musa
Sekou, Stewart
Okafor, Bradley

That's 11 young dudes with damn near ZERO real experience in the league!

The one guy I named who does have experience just left the same money on the table to come here, betting on himself to become "more"!

If that's not a Piston thing to do then I got nothing for you.



Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app


I love this! I pretty agree with just about everything you say here.

We wanted to rebuild this. We did. Now people are freaking out. Take a step back and look what Weaver did. Sure it seemed nutty at the time but all he did was replenish the youth with our draft and then signed some pros to show the youth the way. Let them apprentice underneath these guys. Plumlee Delon Mcgruber. None of these guys are stopping anyone from developing.
Plumlee is perfect for Stewart and Okafor. He will show them the ropes in practice and maybe start for us but he sure as hell not gonna get starter minutes. Plus hes a "piston" type player. Fan fav guaranteed.
Delon and Mcgruber same thing. They're perfect guys to show Hayes, SVI and Jackson how its done. Neither of them will hinder those guys development.
Grant is the main piece going forward. There is no better pistons type guy than this dude. I'm gonna love watching him play for us. And with him Sekou and Bey our 3/4 spots are golden.

Now we are in total stealth mode for the tank. The next two drafts are our chance to add all stars. Possible superstars if we hit our lottery tickets right.

Our next moves though have to be to hopefully get Blake playing healthy so we can get something for him by the deadline. And deal Rose by deadline as well.

Plumlee Okafor Stewart
Grant Sekou Stewart
Sekou Bey Jackson
SVI Mcgruber Jackson
Hayes Delon

Rose for player and draft pick?
Blake for??
2021+2022 lottery picks

Rose. Colored. Glasses. Try them on boys they're great! This team has a future!
BJK1
Junior
Posts: 387
And1: 149
Joined: Jun 23, 2019

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#284 » by BJK1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
Kids are buried? By whom?

Plumlee? You think he averages more than 24 minutes a game?

McGruder? Dude is 29 and almost got stretched so that indicates where he sits on our priority list.

Are Blake and Rose going to bury the kids given their histories?



Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app


Hayes is a 1
Jackson is a 2/3
Svi is a 2/3
Sekou is a 3/4
Bey is a 3/4
Stewart is a 5/4

Wright is a 1/2 thus blocking Hayes & Jackson
McGruder is a 2 thus blocking Jackson, Svi
Grant is a 3/4 thus blocking all of Sekou, Bey, Stewart, Svi and Jackson
Plumlee is a 5/4 thus blocking Stewart and any other young 4 options.

Seems kind of odd to think that Weaver would have signed Grant and Plumlee to the contracts he did, if he didn't envision them to approach 30 MPG territory. Also seems like Weaver held back on stretching McGruder for a reason. If he brings a Bruce Brown type profile to the table, do we really think Casey isn't going to use this guy?

And yes I absolutely believe that Rose and Blake are gonna get ridden frequently until they aren't healthy enough to be on the floor. Especially since Dwane Casey will be the guy most in charge of minute allocations.


All good points but neither of us actually know:

IF Wright will block Hayes & Jackson

IF McGruder will block Jackson, Svi, Hayes

IF Grant's presence will block all those guys.

IF Plumlee will significantly block Stewart & other younger options.

Plumlee has NEVER averaged 30 minutes a game in his career! Has come close ONCE in the 2016-17 season (IIRC).

Dude got less than the full MLE for 3 years and you envision him being a roadblock? Why?

Assuming a relatively healthy Blake and Rose for a full season isn't something I'd do. And based on the moves we've made it seems Weaver doesn't believe that either.

This all really does blow my mind!

People wanted to nuke the team and finally rebuild through the draft, take chances on young guys with potential...Weaver did that! Got rave reviews for Draft Day too.

Some of us also wanted to have a few steady vets around to teach them...tank without going full Hinkie. Weaver has done that too.

I'm not sitting here blowing up cause Giles wasn't signed, cause we didn't make a move for Vassell or Flynn, didn't take shots at certain young dudes I preferred.

What I wanted is in full execution mode!

I can question the "who" but I don't have extensive background info on all these guys!

Until I see Casey roll out a vet line up, until I see us make a "7th/8th seed or bust" move I'll reserve criticism and just roll with:

Hayes, Wright
Jackson, Svi
Grant, Bey, Musa
Sekou, Stewart
Okafor, Bradley

That's 11 young dudes with damn near ZERO real experience in the league!

The one guy I named who does have experience just left the same money on the table to come here, betting on himself to become "more"!

If that's not a Piston thing to do then I got nothing for you.



Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app


Good points and really well written. But posted in the wrong place. This should have gone in the “Positives..” thread. 8-)
TPA
Sophomore
Posts: 209
And1: 108
Joined: Aug 13, 2008
Location: Lansing
   

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#285 » by TPA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:24 pm

TPA wrote:
Snakebites wrote:If the third year was any kind of option or non-guaranteed there would have been some indication from the multiple people who have reported on this.

Come on, guys. Get out of the bargaining phase.

As of this hour, how many FA signings have you read or heard the specifics for the contracts signed? Seen any contracts announced with a team or player option? I haven't seen a single one. Would you expect options on any of these signings? I would. There are options on many of the FA contracts that are signed. We haven't seen exact contract details for any of these signings yet because they won't be "official" until tomorrow @ 12:01PM.

Well Snakebites, I may need to eat my words on this one because Spotrac is showing the Grant contract as fully guaranteed.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/detroit-pistons/jerami-grant-15391/ Not sure if Spotrac is gospel, but I'll assume so until I see anything different. They show Plumlee fully guaranteed as well.
And while I am still coming up short on option language for many of the contracts that have been announced from the articles and press releases I've read, I have found a couple of instances where an option or "fully guaranteed" has been mentioned.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 36,211
And1: 6,475
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#286 » by Snakebites » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:28 pm

TPA wrote:
TPA wrote:
Snakebites wrote:If the third year was any kind of option or non-guaranteed there would have been some indication from the multiple people who have reported on this.

Come on, guys. Get out of the bargaining phase.

As of this hour, how many FA signings have you read or heard the specifics for the contracts signed? Seen any contracts announced with a team or player option? I haven't seen a single one. Would you expect options on any of these signings? I would. There are options on many of the FA contracts that are signed. We haven't seen exact contract details for any of these signings yet because they won't be "official" until tomorrow @ 12:01PM.

Well Snakebites, I may need to eat my words on this one because Spotrac is showing the Grant contract as fully guaranteed.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/detroit-pistons/jerami-grant-15391/ Not sure if Spotrac is gospel, but I'll assume so until I see anything different. They show Plumlee fully guaranteed as well.
And while I am still coming up short on option language for many of the contracts that have been announced from the articles and press releases I've read, I have found a couple of instances where an option or "fully guaranteed" has been mentioned.

With respect to Plumlee it’s been explicitly reported it was fully guaranteed.

I don’t think Spotrac is gospel but they’re probably right.
thesack12
General Manager
Posts: 9,223
And1: 1,076
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#287 » by thesack12 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:35 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
Kids are buried? By whom?

Plumlee? You think he averages more than 24 minutes a game?

McGruder? Dude is 29 and almost got stretched so that indicates where he sits on our priority list.

Are Blake and Rose going to bury the kids given their histories?



Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app


Hayes is a 1
Jackson is a 2/3
Svi is a 2/3
Sekou is a 3/4
Bey is a 3/4
Stewart is a 5/4

Wright is a 1/2 thus blocking Hayes & Jackson
McGruder is a 2 thus blocking Jackson, Svi
Grant is a 3/4 thus blocking all of Sekou, Bey, Stewart, Svi and Jackson
Plumlee is a 5/4 thus blocking Stewart and any other young 4 options.

Seems kind of odd to think that Weaver would have signed Grant and Plumlee to the contracts he did, if he didn't envision them to approach 30 MPG territory. Also seems like Weaver held back on stretching McGruder for a reason. If he brings a Bruce Brown type profile to the table, do we really think Casey isn't going to use this guy?

And yes I absolutely believe that Rose and Blake are gonna get ridden frequently until they aren't healthy enough to be on the floor. Especially since Dwane Casey will be the guy most in charge of minute allocations.


All good points but neither of us actually know:

IF Wright will block Hayes & Jackson

IF McGruder will block Jackson, Svi, Hayes

IF Grant's presence will block all those guys.

IF Plumlee will significantly block Stewart & other younger options.

Plumlee has NEVER averaged 30 minutes a game in his career! Has come close ONCE in the 2016-17 season (IIRC).

Dude got less than the full MLE for 3 years and you envision him being a roadblock? Why?

Assuming a relatively healthy Blake and Rose for a full season isn't something I'd do. And based on the moves we've made it seems Weaver doesn't believe that either.

This all really does blow my mind!

People wanted to nuke the team and finally rebuild through the draft, take chances on young guys with potential...Weaver did that! Got rave reviews for Draft Day too.

Some of us also wanted to have a few steady vets around to teach them...tank without going full Hinkie. Weaver has done that too.

I'm not sitting here blowing up cause Giles wasn't signed, cause we didn't make a move for Vassell or Flynn, didn't take shots at certain young dudes I preferred.

What I wanted is in full execution mode!

I can question the "who" but I don't have extensive background info on all these guys!

Until I see Casey roll out a vet line up, until I see us make a "7th/8th seed or bust" move I'll reserve criticism and just roll with:

Hayes, Wright
Jackson, Svi
Grant, Bey, Musa
Sekou, Stewart
Okafor, Bradley

That's 11 young dudes with damn near ZERO real experience in the league!

The one guy I named who does have experience just left the same money on the table to come here, betting on himself to become "more"!

If that's not a Piston thing to do then I got nothing for you.



Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app


Any minutes that Wright/McGruder/Grant/Plumlee/Okafor/Bradley play will lessen the playing time opportunities Hayes/Bey/Stewart/Sekou/Jackson to some degree. So while you are right that we don't unequivocally know how the rotation/minute allocation just yet, we can make educated predictions.

Specifically regarding Wright, dude is a former Casey disciple. That being the case, we should lend some creedence to the idea that was at least part of the reason why Detroit brought him in. In which case, its not hard to envision Wright being a 25 MPG
type guy playing both guard positions at various times. So no matter what guard position Wright is playing, he is going to be taking away minutes from Hayes/Jackson/Svi and possibly even Bey.

Specifically regarding Grant, he is a 3/4 type player. Considering the contract he just signed, its not a leap to suggest that Weaver/Casey envision him as a lead dog type thus being the 35 MPG territory. Sekou/Bey/Svi/Jackson should get some minutes at the 3. SF could actually be considered a logjam in some regards. Sekou/Stewart both also should get some minutes at PF as well. So like Wright, no matter what position Grant plays he is taking away minutes from some of the youngins.

Specifically regarding Plumlee, personally I think its entirely fair to say the primary reasons that Plumlee has never played 30 MPG in a season is that 1) He backed up Nikola Jokic most of his career, who is probably the best center in the game, and 2) He's just not that good of a player. In Detroit he will be the unquestioned starter, and while the AAV isn't terribly high his new contract length would suggest that Weaver intended him to be a part of the core. Plumlee is primarily a 5, but he has played some 4. Even if we want to say that Plumlee in only going to play center in Detroit, thus not taking away any minutes from the young PF options, and we want to say Plumlee is only gonna a 25MPG guy, that still doesn't leave much for Stewart. Bradley and Okafor are gonna be in that center mix as well. And if Detroit isn't going to hand Hayes a hefty role from jump, they surely won't do it for Stewart either. Stewart is likely looking at 8-10 MPG at best.

On top of all this Blake and Rose are currently still around. Its inconceivable to think that those 2 guys aren't going to be part of the rotation. They are likely the starting PG and starting PF for this team.

I don't really see anybody criticizing the purging and turnover of the roster, moreso how its being done. Weaver has burned all of the cap space/flexibility that Detroit would of had next season, and sent out 5 draft picks. While most of those are 2nd rounders, they hold value and Detroit looks to be drafting near the bottom for the next few years. Weaver also managed to bring in a veteran on a non expiring contract at every position that he just drafted a guy in the 1st round at. Burning cap space, bringing in expensive veterans on long term deal, and trading draft picks seems to be counter productive to rebuilding, don't you think?

For comparison, Weaver's old boss is doing the same roster purging process in OKC. The difference being, Presti is acquiring massive amounts of draft picks and opening up additional future cap space/flexibility.

I think its safe to say that the main concern with most of us that haven't exactly agreed with most of the offseason thus far, is it just seems like typical Pistons status quo. Its a very murky situation as to whether or not Weaver intends on a rebuild or if he is trying to compete. The draft night moves suggest he is eyeing the future, while the free agency moves suggest he is focused on the present. For me, its especially concerning that there are reports that he was making a run at FVV.

I'm glad there are people out there that hold your optimistic view, and seem to be happy with the offseason moves. We need differing opinions discussed here. If everybody had the same viewpoints, this wouldn't too compelling of a place to come and talk some Pistons basketball.
edmunder_prc
Senior
Posts: 573
And1: 306
Joined: Dec 06, 2015
   

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#288 » by edmunder_prc » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:06 pm

With the way the schedule will work this upcoming, condensed season, no way Blake, DRose, vets, are playing too many minutes.

First, is the condensed first half of the season. Many back to backs. I think the NBA is going to have teams stay in areas and play teams several times. There will be 5 games in 7 nights. There will be back to backs, followed by back to backs.

Blake is not playing 5 games in 7 nights. He might be done, honestly.
DRose is not playing more than 24 minutes a night. He tried that, twice, last season and was injured. He tried playing 30+ minutes in that overtime game and hurt his leg which left him out of the lineup for a while. Then did it again!

Second, people will get COVID and miss time. Its happening in the NFL, it will happen in the NBA.

Third, after the second half of the condensed season, any missed games (due to weather or covid) must be ADDED to the back half of the schedule.

You thought 5 games in 7 nights were bad? How about that schedule for 2-3 weeks in a row. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man just finding bodies to throw out there who arent hurt will be a blessing! :nod: :nod:

Fourth, Pistons/Other teams will trade young guys to contenders that desperately need bodies. Lebron doesnt want to play 6 games in 9 nights, then a back to back in LA. He has a billion dollars. Hes not going to ruin himself to get a couple extra wins.



So overall, young guys are going to play big minutes. They dont have a choice.

Also, for specifics:

Plumlee played less than 20 minutes a game last season. With 12 minutes a game (or close to that) in the playoffs. His game is energy and 100% effort for short spurts.

Grant can guard anyone in the NBA 1-5. In the playoffs he guarded everyone, the team's best offensive weapon:

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2020/11/21/21588634/the-two-sides-to-jerami-grants-stunning-deal

The best way to see Grant’s value is to look at the players he defended in the playoffs. Per NBA Advanced Stats, Grant’s three most frequent assignments were Kawhi Leonard, Donovan Mitchell, and LeBron James. Anthony Davis was no. 5, and Paul George was no. 7. The list of players who can match up with combo guards like Mitchell, supersized wings like LeBron and Kawhi, and new-age big men like Davis is incredibly short. And there is no real list for players with that kind of defensive versatility who can also shoot as well as Grant did from 3 last season (38.8 percent on 3.5 attempts per game).


Grant can fit into the lineup anywhere.
thesack12
General Manager
Posts: 9,223
And1: 1,076
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#289 » by thesack12 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:28 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:With the way the schedule will work this upcoming, condensed season, no way Blake, DRose, vets, are playing too many minutes.

First, is the condensed first half of the season. Many back to backs. I think the NBA is going to have teams stay in areas and play teams several times. There will be 5 games in 7 nights. There will be back to backs, followed by back to backs.

Blake is not playing 5 games in 7 nights. He might be done, honestly.
DRose is not playing more than 24 minutes a night. He tried that, twice, last season and was injured. He tried playing 30+ minutes in that overtime game and hurt his leg which left him out of the lineup for a while. Then did it again!

Second, people will get COVID and miss time. Its happening in the NFL, it will happen in the NBA.

Third, after the second half of the condensed season, any missed games (due to weather or covid) must be ADDED to the back half of the schedule.

You thought 5 games in 7 nights were bad? How about that schedule for 2-3 weeks in a row. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man just finding bodies to throw out there who arent hurt will be a blessing! :nod: :nod:

Fourth, Pistons/Other teams will trade young guys to contenders that desperately need bodies. Lebron doesnt want to play 6 games in 9 nights, then a back to back in LA. He has a billion dollars. Hes not going to ruin himself to get a couple extra wins.



So overall, young guys are going to play big minutes. They dont have a choice.

Also, for specifics:

Plumlee played less than 20 minutes a game last season. With 12 minutes a game (or close to that) in the playoffs. His game is energy and 100% effort for short spurts.

Grant can guard anyone in the NBA 1-5. In the playoffs he guarded everyone, the team's best offensive weapon:

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2020/11/21/21588634/the-two-sides-to-jerami-grants-stunning-deal

The best way to see Grant’s value is to look at the players he defended in the playoffs. Per NBA Advanced Stats, Grant’s three most frequent assignments were Kawhi Leonard, Donovan Mitchell, and LeBron James. Anthony Davis was no. 5, and Paul George was no. 7. The list of players who can match up with combo guards like Mitchell, supersized wings like LeBron and Kawhi, and new-age big men like Davis is incredibly short. And there is no real list for players with that kind of defensive versatility who can also shoot as well as Grant did from 3 last season (38.8 percent on 3.5 attempts per game).


Grant can fit into the lineup anywhere.


Yeah, I don't think anybody in there right mind would suggest that Blake and Rose aren't going to miss some time. Its what Blake and Rose do. Still when they are in uniform, is safe to assume they are going to going to play quite a bit.

Regarding Covid, it absolutely will be a factor. But I personally don't think its going to be a huge determinent of how the season plays out. The NFL has traveling parties of up to 100 people, NBA traveling parties are like 25. The NFL has also actually been pretty fortunate in regards to their Covid casualties. I believe the NBA will parlay a lot of what the NFL has done to limit it and build on it further. They already have limited the amount of traveling teams will have to endure for the upcoming season. Also, I'm not trying to get into the politics of it, but a vaccine is on the brink of being released. I gotta believe that the NBA will have access to the first few waves of it.

I also don't forsee the NBA making up any un-necessary games that might be delayed for whatever reason. The whole idea of starting the season in an expedited manner, was to make sure it ended at the usual time to appease the TV networks and not interfere with the olympics. Any delayed games that might have playoff implications will be made up, but the random Cavs vs Pistons game that got delayed in January, won't be made up in April.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 10,936
And1: 4,222
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#290 » by skywalker33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:40 pm

TPA wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
TPA wrote:Which is why I sincerely hope Detroit is giving him his opportunity to bet on himself without a guaranteed third year. If he somehow metamorphoses into some sort of offensive threat, coupled with his established defensive ability, we can keep him another year. Otherwise, we cut him loose. He's being given the opportunity to "showcase" in Detroit, which he wouldn't have had in Denver. Detroit's FA timeline should be 2 years with any FA signings. I'm hoping his 3rd year is a team option.


Well, he could probably still make a good career with a Title ring in his possession, hard to see that happening in DET...or DEN for the foreseeable future. I hope he does well, but I stick with my 15ppg prediction. The other detriment, it feels like he will be a hindrance to the development of some of your younger players.

I don't know what you mean when you state he could make a good career with a "Title ring" yet unlikely in DET or DEN... He would certainly stunt the growth of our developing core if he's given free rein to "bet on himself" in Detroit.


With the type of player Grant is, if he aspires to get into the HOF, he'll need to be on at least one Title winning team, and he just moved on from Denver, diminishing their chances. DET has him on a 3-yr and I don't see The Pistons contending for a title anytime within those 3 years. As for stunting the growth of your young players, you don't play a guy $20Myr to sit him, he be taking mins from Sekou, Bey and Svi and giving players like those young guys PT is how they develop into the stars. That isn't likely to happen nearly as much now, is it ?
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
User avatar
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 22,136
And1: 2,247
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Contact:

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#291 » by bstein14 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:49 pm

For this deal to end up a success for Detroit, Grant will likely have to become an all-nba defensive team player and really play a big part in helping to change the culture of the team. For this to be a success we need to see these young guys come in and work hard and develop into good NBA players. We need them to see Grant putting winning above everything else. Hopefully he comes in and fills that role and truly doesn't care about his # of shots he is getting because we don't want our young guys worried about their FGAs either we want them to care about playing team basketball and winning above everything else.
vic
Starter
Posts: 2,149
And1: 787
Joined: Dec 27, 2012

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#292 » by vic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:32 pm

It's a little annoying to see Weaver bring in all those centers and vets to take minutes away from rookies that could otherwise get a sharper learning curve.

But I get it. He brought in rookies that are supposed to be competitive and fighters, so what better way to prove it than in practice against vets.

If talent is there and the work ethic is there, the talent will rise to the top. If Sekou is really a star he'll show Grant in practice. It won't hurt to have 2 elite defensive 2-way wings, plus Bey to back them up. Im all for it.

My problem is you developed a stretch big with all the skills to win championships in today's NBA, 1989-90 NBA, and 2004 NBA. A 2-way stretch big with slight unicorn creation skills, with an edgy personality immaturity (kind of like Pistons legends Bill Laimbeer and Rasheed Wallace)... this guy fell into your lap in 2020, you trade away the best rebounder in history another Pistons legend Andre Drummond, just to pass him the Torch... and then you cant figure out how to keep him.

Instead I get to watch Mason Plumlee. You could easily outbid cashstrapped Houston and paid Wood 15-20M a year. We could have watched a super deep, super young core grow together. Wood was only 25.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Spartans14
Ballboy
Posts: 2
And1: 5
Joined: Nov 21, 2020
 

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#293 » by Spartans14 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 pm

I really like Grant. Harris and Grant definitely changed the Nuggets team in the playoffs. Anybody who doesn’t like the signing clearly didn’t watch the playoffs much. Might be a little overpaid, but he fits the old school pistons style, that I would LOVE to bring back.
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,329
And1: 3,385
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#294 » by Pharaoh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:24 pm

I understand people being upset we lost Wood only to pay Grant more money but:

There's gotta be a reason for that!

We don't know every little thing about players, about their interactions with team mates and coaches.

Maybe Wood actually didn't want to be here regardless? Maybe he wanted to win, wanted to play with better players?

There also seems to be this belief that a guy like Wright or Plumlee or McGruder is going to "steal" minutes from the younger guys.

Pretty sure Casey is going to play the dudes who earn their minutes and if that's Wright then so be it!

What Weaver has done with the roster is create competition for minutes! Mostly kids v kids!

5: Plumlee will get his minutes, likely in the 22-28 range which leaves a lot of time for either Blake to play small ball 5 or for Stewart, Okafor or Bradley to earn.

4: Blake will get his time but that's still going to leave plenty for Grant, Sekou, Bey & Stewart.

3: Grant likekyto play 30+ minutes but we've got Sekou, Bey, Svi and Jackson fighting for the rest.

2: Wright, Jackson, Svi & Hayes competing here with only McGruder in the way.

1: Rose, Hayes & Wright fighting for minutes.

I fail to see the problem with the roster!

I don't like the fact we chose Grant over Wood, don't like that we didn't go for Giles over Okafor but we've come out of the Draft and Free Agency with plenty of investments.

We'll see how things shake out

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,051
And1: 1,214
Joined: Nov 11, 2008

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#295 » by coordinator0 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:10 am

Read on Twitter
thesack12
General Manager
Posts: 9,223
And1: 1,076
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#296 » by thesack12 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 am

coordinator0 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Ahhhh, it all makes sense now..... For Denver.

They get a huge TPE.
BJK1
Junior
Posts: 387
And1: 149
Joined: Jun 23, 2019

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#297 » by BJK1 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:16 am

coordinator0 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Was just about to post this. Why exactly would this be a S&T for cash and the draft rights to someone that will never play in the NBA?
BJK1
Junior
Posts: 387
And1: 149
Joined: Jun 23, 2019

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#298 » by BJK1 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:16 am

thesack12 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Ahhhh, it all makes sense now..... For Denver.

They get a huge TPE.


Yup. Got it.
thesack12
General Manager
Posts: 9,223
And1: 1,076
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#299 » by thesack12 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:24 am

BJK1 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Ahhhh, it all makes sense now..... For Denver.

They get a huge TPE.


Yup. Got it.


Somehow Ole Troy managed to get taken advantage of by another GM yet again, even with making a free agent signing.
DTP
Head Coach
Posts: 6,089
And1: 4,557
Joined: May 04, 2006
Location: Ohio
     

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#300 » by DTP » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:29 am

Guys, I'm starting to think Weaver is an idiot.

Return to Detroit Pistons