Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#541 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:51 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
vege wrote:
TGW wrote:Would you guys be interested in Hachimura and Troy Brown for Grant?

Troy Brown has 0 value, Hachimura is not good enough to land you Grant, you need to add some real value.

Right. I wonder if he’d consider Svi, Ellington, and Rose for Beal??

Green font?
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#542 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:07 pm

Just making a similar offer to his.....
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#543 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:26 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Just making a similar offer to his.....

Yeah I'm a idiot, I see what you did there
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#544 » by Manocad » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:48 pm

TGW wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:
vege wrote:
Troy Brown has 0 value, Hachimura is not good enough to land you Grant, you need to add some real value.

Give me a break dude. The Pistons signed Grant in free agency when he wasn't in high demand. 15 games in and he's played good basketball, but don't put him in the HOF already. He's not worth a lottery pick so let that go.

So why do you want to trade for him? Let me help you answer that--because you'd rather have Grant than Hachimura. So would I.

Debating whether or not a 24/6/3 forward isn't worth a lottery pick is dependent on 1) having a lottery pick, and 2) needing a 24/6/3 guy for a playoff run. It's not like he's scoring 20+ a game because he's shooting some insane percentage over the course of 15 games that will pretty much fall under the "water finds its level" principle. He's shown himself to be a really good player who can score in pretty much every way expected and plays good defense to boot. I don't know what you expect from a lottery pick but if every lottery pick forward turned into a 24/6/3 player who hustles on D you can bet your ass teams would be thrilled.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#545 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:53 pm

Ellington is putting up much better stats than Avdija.

Heck, we’d throw in Okafor just for fun.

Ellington/Okafor for Avdija???
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#546 » by Drwho17 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:46 pm

Umm, no way. Need way for me, Grant plays offense and defense. Need good picks, or something with Beal for Grant otherwise.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,893

Post#547 » by TGW » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:51 pm

Drwho17 wrote:

Umm, no way. Need way for me, Grant plays offense and defense. Need good picks, or something with Beal for Grant otherwise.

Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#548 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:03 pm

TGW wrote:
Drwho17 wrote:

Grant for Deni, I'm sure that's a no but if not you guys just need to trade Beal before he ends up demanding a trade and killing the trade market for you guys.

Your kinda at the either go all In with Beal or move him now and get a bunch of assets back. Feels like it's at that point of a fork in the road for you guys.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,777

Post#549 » by Snakebites » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:14 pm

I’ll admit I’m surprised by Grant’s consistency up to this point.

He’s still not a floor raiser (IE he can’t make a bad team better by himself) but he’s definitely a guy I wouldn’t mind having around as we (hopefully) draft some mega talent in the upcoming draft.

I’m coming around on keeping him, though I do still think we should be open to moving him if the value is good.

I don’t see a lottery pick as being in the cards. The teams that have those to offer aren’t in a position where a Grant move makes sense- teams that might want him are gonna be teams that either already are playoff teams or hope Grant can get them there. There’s always the hope you get another Van Gundy- a lottery GM who thinks his team is one step away, but even then your ceiling is probably low lottery.

That’s why you often hear Warriors proposals- theirs is a unique situation where they can use Grant to help in the playoffs and still offer a lotto-level pick.

I’d still be surprised if that happens though.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#550 » by edmunder_prc » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:44 pm

Snakebites wrote:That’s why you often hear Warriors proposals- theirs is a unique situation where they can use Grant to help in the playoffs and still offer a lotto-level pick.

I’d still be surprised if that happens though.

Yeah the GSW things sounds great.

Grant + DRose + Ellington make about $29 million

Wiggins makes $29.5 million + MIN 1st and 2nd rounders for 2021

GSW might need another wing, not sure who else is cheap. Svi is $1.6 million. Id add Svi if needed.

Grant, DRose, Ellington, Svi = Wiggins + Min 1st and 2nd + Marquese Chriss to make salaries match for Svi. If Svi gets added, we also get GSW 1st, which may be 25-30.

GSW has to cut 2 guys, but they have end of the bench guys.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#551 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:56 pm

If they give us the Min 1st, that’s cool with me. IMO, no need for them to add additional 2nds or anything.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#552 » by Snakebites » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:00 pm

Piston Pete wrote:If they give us the Min 1st, that’s cool with me. IMO, no need for them to add additional 2nds or anything.

I think the Warriors realize with the Klay injury and Green’s decline that a rebuild is likely in the cards.

I don’t think they make that move. You never know- they may want to make a run here, but my instinct says no.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#553 » by DetroitSho » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:36 pm

TGW wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:
vege wrote:

Give me a break dude. The Pistons signed Grant in free agency when he wasn't in high demand. 15 games in and he's played good basketball, but don't put him in the HOF already. He's not worth a lottery pick so let that go.
But you offered a lottery pick. It's the irony for me.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#554 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:39 pm

Think any GS trade idea starts with the Minnesota pick & Oubre, not Wiggins.

But I'm not in the trade Grant group. I think he's young enough, good enough and can compliment a lot of different guys that we should keep him long term.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#555 » by MrBigShot » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:21 pm

Guys that put up 24/6/3, play defense and shoot threes well don't exactly grow on trees in the NBA. I highly doubt we could value that would be worth trading him atm, also in the keep Grant camp.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
foolinc
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#556 » by foolinc » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:26 am

Trading Grant at this moment seems highly unlikely. I would highly doubt other GMs are going to be sending the Brinks truck to grab him when the season has really just started. That said, Grant looks for real.

If a stellar trade comes our way, I don’t see why Weaver wouldn’t pull the trigger on dealing him, but I suspect that Grant will finish the season with us if not play all of next season with us as well.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#557 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:35 am

MrBigShot wrote:Guys that put up 24/6/3, play defense and shoot threes well don't exactly grow on trees in the NBA. I highly doubt we could value that would be worth trading him atm, also in the keep Grant camp.

Thing is Grants 26 already. We will be hoping to draft a 19 year old thats going to be the franchise player of this team this draft. No guarantee whoever we take is a franchise player. Even if it is said franchise player is years away from peaking. So by time the rest of the team is ready to compete for a title is like 5 seasons. Grant will be 31-32 and hes due a new much bigger contract his age 29-30 season. Grants not going to be the value he is now on his next contract IF he even wants to stay with us.

Not saying give Grant away of course. That said if we could get a lotto pick somehow out of him you surely move him. I think we will need to hit on two big talents in the draft to compete for a title. Grants just not on the same timeline that our future young studs will be on.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#558 » by Snakebites » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:37 am

Yeah, I think I've said previously that regardless of my position on whether or not we should trade Grant (which has changed as the season has gone on), that trading him is extremely unlikely.

Weaver's start as GM has had...well...mixed results to put it politely, both in terms of the moves he's made (letting Wood go, signing Plumlee, all the stretching) and in terms of factors beyond his control (mainly the injury to Hayes and continued decline of Blake).

He's not shipping out the one move he's made so far that's been a rousing success. And it's hard to blame him.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#559 » by whitehops » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:33 pm

To add to the jump grant has made as a player this year - he went from being a career 67% free throw shooter to shooting 87% from the line overnight. He did take a little jump up to 75% last season in Denver but he’s shooting way better this season.

It’s also nice to see him get to the line more now, it’ll definitely help raise his “scoring floor” and overall scoring efficiency.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#560 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:53 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:Guys that put up 24/6/3, play defense and shoot threes well don't exactly grow on trees in the NBA. I highly doubt we could value that would be worth trading him atm, also in the keep Grant camp.

Thing is Grants 26 already. We will be hoping to draft a 19 year old thats going to be the franchise player of this team this draft. No guarantee whoever we take is a franchise player. Even if it is said franchise player is years away from peaking. So by time the rest of the team is ready to compete for a title is like 5 seasons. Grant will be 31-32 and hes due a new much bigger contract his age 29-30 season. Grants not going to be the value he is now on his next contract IF he even wants to stay with us.

Not saying give Grant away of course. That said if we could get a lotto pick somehow out of him you surely move him. I think we will need to hit on two big talents in the draft to compete for a title. Grants just not on the same timeline that our future young studs will be on.

Ideal situation:

We hit on the 2021 pick, hopefully its top 3. Cade/Suggs, someone. That player looks and plays like a lion and people talk about future MVP.

You trade Grant for even more youth, because if you get a 19 old, potential future MVP, the future is more important not 2022 or 2023.

Maybe GSW keep those 2021 Minny picks, select some guys, but next year Klay looks great. OK, trade Grant to GSW for a couple of their recently chosen draft picks. They go to the Finals in 2022 and 2023. We got more youth to add to a future potential MVP.

Return to Detroit Pistons