ImageImageImage

Current roster

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

remi_222
Senior
Posts: 636
And1: 431
Joined: May 09, 2012
Location: Paris
   

Re: Current roster 

Post#121 » by remi_222 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:33 am

vege wrote:
remi_222 wrote:How do you see Sekou now in the roster ? i feel that last season he was just thrown as a halleluia, and just worked 2 weeks. Having Hayes on the team is just what he needed, the chemistry is there, but a few questions are def pending :
will Sekou play 3 or 4 ?
what is his role ?
Towards which type of player he should work to be ?
How Casey will treat him after being on his back all second half of last season ?


Last season Casey said Sekou had no passion for the game, so I don't expect much from him, people around here think he is the next LeBron tho.

He can play both 3 or 4 but I see him more as a 4.


Also Casey said the opposite during the training camp
Invictus88
Rookie
Posts: 1,218
And1: 404
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: Current roster 

Post#122 » by Invictus88 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:04 am

Pharaoh wrote:Okafor, Wright, Jackson and Bradley are all young and essentially unknowns.

Fail to see why so many are puzzled or upset by what Weaver has done in a few days!


Come on.

You know that first statement isn't true. I don't even need to explain further.

You're feigning ignorance and not being genuine on the second one too.
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,288
And1: 3,375
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Current roster 

Post#123 » by Pharaoh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:29 am

Invictus88 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Okafor, Wright, Jackson and Bradley are all young and essentially unknowns.

Fail to see why so many are puzzled or upset by what Weaver has done in a few days!


Come on.

You know that first statement isn't true. I don't even need to explain further.

You're feigning ignorance and not being genuine on the second one too.
Yeah nah we'll just agree to disagree.

All 4 dudes I named are swings at a role player or better.

We are tanking, just not outright Hinkie style!

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,288
And1: 3,375
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Current roster 

Post#124 » by Pharaoh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:31 am

remi_222 wrote:
vege wrote:
remi_222 wrote:How do you see Sekou now in the roster ? i feel that last season he was just thrown as a halleluia, and just worked 2 weeks. Having Hayes on the team is just what he needed, the chemistry is there, but a few questions are def pending :
will Sekou play 3 or 4 ?
what is his role ?
Towards which type of player he should work to be ?
How Casey will treat him after being on his back all second half of last season ?


Last season Casey said Sekou had no passion for the game, so I don't expect much from him, people around here think he is the next LeBron tho.

He can play both 3 or 4 but I see him more as a 4.


Also Casey said the opposite during the training camp
Exactly.

Sekou = 3/4, needs to work on everything first but anything is possible.

Not hoping for Giannis or Lebron - that's insane.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
Posts: 7,777
And1: 956
Joined: Jul 14, 2004
Location: I plead the Fifth Dimension

Re: Current roster 

Post#125 » by Uncle Mxy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:57 am

The Penguin wrote:It’s all Gores

It reminds me of the Jerry West - Brian Scalabrine story. When West was the GM for the Grizz he was playing the long game and waiting for player values to come down. The owner for the Grizz stormed into his office and said “why is my team not being talked about?!” West picked up the phone, called Scalabrine’s agent, offered the full MLE, and it was quickly accepted. West slammed the phone down and said “there, everyone will talk about you now”.

You meant Brian Cardinal... don't tarnish The Custodian's legacy. :)

We have a roster so whacked I can't even figure out who's starting at most positions.
kpt
Junior
Posts: 309
And1: 103
Joined: Nov 06, 2018
       

Re: Current roster 

Post#126 » by kpt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:53 pm

OK I am zooming out of this whole fiasco. Where are we deep at? Center and PF where did we just draft a high number one? Point guard so this leaves the next two drafts hopefully with a SG and SF. Which is exactly where the studs are so I am hoping we get our superstars in the next two drafts and boom
440BB
Junior
Posts: 337
And1: 220
Joined: Jul 13, 2017
     

Re: Current roster 

Post#127 » by 440BB » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:09 pm

A month from today the season starts and we get to watch them sort it out, some breakouts and some flops.

Then another lottery if things go well.

Our roster after the trade deadline could be quite different, maybe even later today.

It's hard to imagine what the roster will be to start the 2021 season. Weaver's going to keep us on our toes.
User avatar
whitehops
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,768
And1: 3,512
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
     

Re: Current roster 

Post#128 » by whitehops » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:13 pm

there's still so much going on with our roster that i'm a) unsure who is or isn't on our team and b) going to wait until the dust settles before judging.

that said, unless we have some nice surprises coming (like a blake trade) then i'm just as puzzled as the rest of you guys.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
Posts: 10,998
And1: 7,562
Joined: Jun 15, 2008
Location: France
Contact:
   

Re: Current roster 

Post#129 » by ducler » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:25 pm

whitehops wrote:there's still so much going on with our roster that i'm a) unsure who is or isn't on our team and b) going to wait until the dust settles before judging.

that said, unless we have some nice surprises coming (like a blake trade) then i'm just as puzzled as the rest of you guys.
Some dominoes will fall if Giannis decides to sign the supermax extension. I can see the Heat taking their chance on Blake instead... They have salaries like Iggy and Olynyk to send in return...
Image
AnnArborpiston
Sophomore
Posts: 167
And1: 36
Joined: May 27, 2010

Re: Current roster 

Post#130 » by AnnArborpiston » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:03 pm

I'd love to see them run all the kids as a unit off the bench to form chemistry over the next two years. Isn't that what Casey did in Toronto?

Hayes
Lee
Bey
Sekou
Stewart

Starters:

Rose
Svi
Grant
Blake
Plumlee

Practice unit:

Wright
Jackson
Musa
Okafor
Bradley
russkopp
Analyst
Posts: 3,142
And1: 1,023
Joined: Jan 30, 2013
       

Re: Current roster 

Post#131 » by russkopp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:26 pm

Free agency showed that Tom Gores will never allow for a proper rebuild. Anyone he hires will be mandated to be “competitive”. In the past I’ve heard it said that Gores worries a true rebuild would push fans away from the arena because they’ve been stuck with crap for the last 10 years. What he fails to realize is the Pistons have no fans. There are the insane people like us who care and know the team is headed nowhere, then there are the families that go to the games and ask “is Chauncey still on the team?” The spend $100 on food and the team store and gores is happy.

It’s garbage. We’re clearly trying to make the playoffs. Same stuff different day.
Fire Troy Weaver
Canadafan
Veteran
Posts: 2,746
And1: 914
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
       

Re: Current roster 

Post#132 » by Canadafan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:06 pm

russkopp wrote:Free agency showed that Tom Gores will never allow for a proper rebuild. Anyone he hires will be mandated to be “competitive”. In the past I’ve heard it said that Gores worries a true rebuild would push fans away from the arena because they’ve been stuck with crap for the last 10 years. What he fails to realize is the Pistons have no fans. There are the insane people like us who care and know the team is headed nowhere, then there are the families that go to the games and ask “is Chauncey still on the team?” The spend $100 on food and the team store and gores is happy.

It’s garbage. We’re clearly trying to make the playoffs. Same stuff different day.


Hmmm, I dunno. I just dont see it. Nothing screams playoffs to me. Maybe if we trade for Westbrook I'd be thinking they're trying but the team hes built the last few days looks like a bottom 10 team with hard workers and young guys.
Which is what we all wanted. I can turn on a game and see how Hayes, Sekou and Bey and doing. And not have to cheer for Blake, Drummond and RJ getting their asses handed to them :lol:
pistonpat
Freshman
Posts: 85
And1: 42
Joined: May 16, 2018
 

Re: Current roster 

Post#133 » by pistonpat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:27 pm

russkopp wrote:Free agency showed that Tom Gores will never allow for a proper rebuild. Anyone he hires will be mandated to be “competitive”. In the past I’ve heard it said that Gores worries a true rebuild would push fans away from the arena because they’ve been stuck with crap for the last 10 years. What he fails to realize is the Pistons have no fans. There are the insane people like us who care and know the team is headed nowhere, then there are the families that go to the games and ask “is Chauncey still on the team?” The spend $100 on food and the team store and gores is happy.

It’s garbage. We’re clearly trying to make the playoffs. Same stuff different day.


I agree this is the crux of the issue. At the same time, I am not sure this roster does any better than last year, unless these rookies are better than we thought.

The draft picks made sense with the exception of Stewart at #16. The trades, as the details come out, get worse by the day as GMs took advantage of Weaver and his unyielding desire to get those picks... The free agent signing of Plumlee, and indifference to pay Woods $14M, but okay with paying Grant $20M is puzzling. In the end, this dude is either a mad genius who will prove us, and most of the basketball community, wrong, or he truly is the craziest dude they ever let be a GM and he will be worse than the other Tom Gores experiments.

I can't wait for him to explain all this . He is going to need to pull a rabbit out of his hat to make the "more moves to come" and make this make sense that the Detroit Pistons media is hinting too ( or being told)....My concern is he might have to make even more desperate moves that we have seen to fix the current mess. Again, I hope he turns out to be some mad genius where only he sees this path we are all trying to understand.
User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 16,147
And1: 313
Joined: Feb 07, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Re: Current roster 

Post#134 » by Piston Pete » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:32 pm

Rose / Wright / Hayes / Lee /Hands
Svi / Jackson / Smith
Grant / Bey / Musa
Griffin / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart / Okafor
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,288
And1: 3,375
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Current roster 

Post#135 » by Pharaoh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Rose / Wright / Hayes / Lee /Hands
Svi / Jackson / Smith
Grant / Bey / Musa
Griffin / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart / Okafor
Look at all those kids

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
guldakot
Sophomore
Posts: 118
And1: 54
Joined: Jul 10, 2015
     

Re: Current roster 

Post#136 » by guldakot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:54 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Rose / Wright / Hayes / Lee /Hands
Svi / Jackson / Smith
Grant / Bey / Musa
Griffin / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart / Okafor
Look at all those kids

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Honesetly I dont mind keeping Griffin, him and plumlee and grant are all great lob targets for Hayes, I just want to get rid of Roes and I will actually be happy with this roster. Good enough to win 15-20 games and get a ton of experience for our youngin's with decent leadership in place from Griffin. This could be an insanely fun team to watch play.
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 11,093
And1: 4,579
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: Current roster 

Post#137 » by Kilo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:00 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Rose / Wright / Hayes / Lee /Hands
Svi / Jackson / Smith
Grant / Bey / Musa
Griffin / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart / Okafor


McGruder is still a Piston AFAIK (things move so fast)

I don't expect Hands to make the team on the second 2-way.
User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 16,147
And1: 313
Joined: Feb 07, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Re: Current roster 

Post#138 » by Piston Pete » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:34 pm

Edited:

Rose / Wright / Hayes / Lee / Hands
Svi / Jackson / McGruder / Smith
Grant / Bey / Musa / King
Griffin / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart / Okafor
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,288
And1: 3,375
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Current roster 

Post#139 » by Pharaoh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:43 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Edited:

Rose / Wright / Hayes / Lee / Hands
Svi / Jackson / McGruder / Smith
Grant / Bey / Musa / King
Griffin / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart / Okafor


Hayes / Rose / Wright
Jackson / Svi / Smith / McGruder
Grant / Bey / Musa
Blake / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart / Okafor

Lee & Hands on 2 way deals

Think King is gone

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 11,093
And1: 4,579
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: Current roster 

Post#140 » by Kilo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:48 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Edited:

Rose / Wright / Hayes / Lee / Hands
Svi / Jackson / McGruder / Smith
Grant / Bey / Musa / King
Griffin / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart / Okafor


Hayes / Rose / Wright
Jackson / Svi / Smith / McGruder
Grant / Bey / Musa
Blake / Sekou
Plumlee / Stewart / Okafor

Lee & Hands on 2 way deals

Think King is gone

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app


Give be a 4/5 big with the second 2-way. I don't think Hands is worth it either.

Return to Detroit Pistons