ImageImageImage

Current roster

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

User avatar
The Moose
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 2,887
Joined: Apr 18, 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA
   

Re: Current roster 

Post#61 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:21 pm

PG: Hayes (24)/ Rose (20) / Wright (4)
SG: Svi (28) / Wright (14) / Rose (6)
SF: Grant (30) / Bey (18)
PF: Griffin (20)/ Sekou (24) / Bey (4)
C: Plumlee (20) / Griffin (12) / Okafor-Stewart (16)

I think the rotation should be something like this, knowing that Casey likes to go with a deep rotation and even spread of minutes.

Overall minutes:
Blake - 32
Grant - 30
Rose- 26
Sekou - 24
Hayes - 24
Plumlee 24
Bey - 22
Wright - 18
Okafor or Stewart 16
Luka Doncic and Cedi Osman Fan Club member
User avatar
Han Solo
General Manager
Posts: 8,841
And1: 5,948
Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Contact:
     

Re: Current roster 

Post#62 » by Han Solo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:24 pm

Honestly still remaining calm through all this. We have a completely new team and a GM that is obviously not afraid to make moves.

None of us know how this will end up. The “RealGm experts” bash anything they can. Been that way for my 10 years on here.

Seems like we are going to be at the very least.. interesting. No one knows anything. Especially with Rose and Griffin still on the team.
User avatar
Han Solo
General Manager
Posts: 8,841
And1: 5,948
Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Contact:
     

Re: Current roster 

Post#63 » by Han Solo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:25 pm

The one thing that was mentioned over and over when we got Weaver is he has an eye for talent.

Maybe he does know what he’s doing.
User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 16,147
And1: 313
Joined: Feb 07, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Re: Current roster 

Post#64 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:31 pm

The Moose wrote:PG: Hayes (24)/ Rose (20) / Wright (4)
SG: Svi (28) / Wright (14) / Rose (6)
SF: Grant (30) / Bey (18)
PF: Griffin (20)/ Sekou (24) / Bey (4)
C: Plumlee (20) / Griffin (12) / Okafor-Stewart (16)

I think the rotation should be something like this, knowing that Casey likes to go with a deep rotation and even spread of minutes.

Overall minutes:
Blake - 32
Grant - 30
Rose- 26
Sekou - 24
Hayes - 24
Plumlee 24
Bey - 22
Wright - 18
Okafor or Stewart 16


More realistic:

PG - Rose (32) / Wright (16)
SG - Svi (32) / Jackson (16)
SF - Grant (34) / Bey (14)
PF - Griffin (34) / Sekou (14)
C - Plumlee (26) / Bradley (14) / Okafor (8)
User avatar
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 22,120
And1: 2,234
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Contact:

Re: Current roster 

Post#65 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:32 pm

russkopp wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Pistons have got to be planning on starting Blake and Grant at the 4/5 spots. I know it sounds crazy, but we're going small ball. Just to start the first quarter and 3rd quarter. Plumlee will come in and get 24 MPG at backup C as well and the rookie will likely get the last 12 minutes.

Nope. Okafor signs a vet min deal to get some playing time, prove to other teams he’s valuable and sign elsewhere in a year or two. He didn’t come here to be the third string center.

Grant is our 3, Blake is 4, Plumlee is 5. It’s the josh smith era all over again.


He signed with us so he wouldn't be out of the league. Minimum salary signings don't come here with a guarantee of being in the rotation. He very easily could make the rotation, but its also very possible he gets beat out by the rookie. That is to be determined. I don't see Okafor and Stewart both in the rotation along with Pumlee its going to be one or the other most likely.
TPA
Sophomore
Posts: 208
And1: 108
Joined: Aug 13, 2008
Location: Lansing
   

Re: Current roster 

Post#66 » by TPA » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:34 pm

Assuming Blake and Rose are traded at some point this season, the Pistons go from a middling team to a league bottom-dweller. Thus the tank strategy is still very much alive.
None of these new contracts are long-term deals, making them very tradable after our players develop and the team is ready to make moves toward contendership.
flow
Starter
Posts: 2,142
And1: 1,342
Joined: Feb 18, 2016

Re: Current roster 

Post#67 » by flow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:38 pm

bstein14 wrote:Pistons have got to be planning on starting Blake and Grant at the 4/5 spots. I know it sounds crazy, but we're going small ball. Just to start the first quarter and 3rd quarter. Plumlee will come in and get 24 MPG at backup C as well and the rookie will likely get the last 12 minutes.


I dont think so. Plumlee will start. Weaver didn't come from a small ball team. He came from a center-utilized team. And one thing for Plumlee, he can play small if you want him to. He is athletic, he runs the floor, and he can pass.
User avatar
The Moose
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 2,887
Joined: Apr 18, 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA
   

Re: Current roster 

Post#68 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:45 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
The Moose wrote:PG: Hayes (24)/ Rose (20) / Wright (4)
SG: Svi (28) / Wright (14) / Rose (6)
SF: Grant (30) / Bey (18)
PF: Griffin (20)/ Sekou (24) / Bey (4)
C: Plumlee (20) / Griffin (12) / Okafor-Stewart (16)

I think the rotation should be something like this, knowing that Casey likes to go with a deep rotation and even spread of minutes.

Overall minutes:
Blake - 32
Grant - 30
Rose- 26
Sekou - 24
Hayes - 24
Plumlee 24
Bey - 22
Wright - 18
Okafor or Stewart 16


More realistic:

PG - Rose (32) / Wright (16)
SG - Svi (32) / Jackson (16)
SF - Grant (34) / Bey (14)
PF - Griffin (34) / Sekou (14)
C - Plumlee (24) / Bradley (14) / Okafor (10)


Yeah sure, lets see when the season starts. Rose hasnt played more than 27 mins per game in 4 years. Jackson played in the g-league all last season. Svi is suddenly going from 25 mins last season to 32.

Casey is notorious for spreading minutes, have a look at the past 2 seasons rotation minute allotment
Luka Doncic and Cedi Osman Fan Club member
User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 16,147
And1: 313
Joined: Feb 07, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Re: Current roster 

Post#69 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:48 pm

Svi averaged 25 last season, but no longer has Kennard and Galloway to compete with.

Looking at my chart, we can determine Weaver will sign another 2/3 to steal minutes away from Jackson and Bey in backup roles.
User avatar
The Moose
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 2,887
Joined: Apr 18, 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA
   

Re: Current roster 

Post#70 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:50 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Svi averaged 25 last season, but no longer has Kennard and Galloway to compete with.

Looking at my chart, we can determine Weaver will sign another 2/3 to steal minutes away from Jackson and Bey in backup roles.


well Hayes and Wright can both play off the ball at SG, so already there is some minutes that should be taken away from Svi
Luka Doncic and Cedi Osman Fan Club member
User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 16,147
And1: 313
Joined: Feb 07, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Re: Current roster 

Post#71 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:52 pm

The Moose wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Svi averaged 25 last season, but no longer has Kennard and Galloway to compete with.

Looking at my chart, we can determine Weaver will sign another 2/3 to steal minutes away from Jackson and Bey in backup roles.


well Hayes and Wright can both play off the ball at SG, so already there is some minutes that should be taken away from Svi


Neither Hayes nor Wright should see time at SG. Neither can shoot the ball well enough to merit minutes at the 2.
User avatar
The Moose
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 2,887
Joined: Apr 18, 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA
   

Re: Current roster 

Post#72 » by The Moose » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:59 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
The Moose wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Svi averaged 25 last season, but no longer has Kennard and Galloway to compete with.

Looking at my chart, we can determine Weaver will sign another 2/3 to steal minutes away from Jackson and Bey in backup roles.


well Hayes and Wright can both play off the ball at SG, so already there is some minutes that should be taken away from Svi


Neither Hayes nor Wright should see time at SG. Neither can shoot the ball well enough to merit minutes at the 2.


Casey typically runs 2 point guard lineups, he did it with the Raptors and he's done it consistently here too. When he had Wright at the raptors they often played lineups with 3 PG's (Lowry, Van Vleet and Wright). I think both Wright and Hayes will play with Rose at different times on the court
Luka Doncic and Cedi Osman Fan Club member
User avatar
Han Solo
General Manager
Posts: 8,841
And1: 5,948
Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Contact:
     

Re: Current roster 

Post#73 » by Han Solo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:00 pm

Wright looks good in the clips I’ve been watching when he was in Dallas. So they’re recent. Probably end up starting.
edmunder_prc
Senior
Posts: 570
And1: 305
Joined: Dec 06, 2015
   

Re: Current roster 

Post#74 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:02 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:I wish we just gave Wood a big bag of money and called it a day.

Basically were like a real **** version of the Nugget from last season. Instead of big dogs Jokic and Murray we got Rose as Murray and gimpy Blake as our Jokic. Then we took the nuggets role players Grant/Plumlee and way overpaid them.

Its crazy how one day I'm thinking finally a GM who gets it. Till today where I'm like we just blew all of our cap on these guys. Killed our flexibility for this pile of garbage. Sad times.



Plumlee and Grant looked alright to good on the Nuggets.

We dont have Jokic, Murray, Porter Jr, Gary Harris, etc.

Its difficult to think of a comparably bad move: Thinking Avery Bradley would be good once he left the Celtics? Then paying him $20 million a year.
edmunder_prc
Senior
Posts: 570
And1: 305
Joined: Dec 06, 2015
   

Re: Current roster 

Post#75 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
The Moose wrote:PG: Hayes (24)/ Rose (20) / Wright (4)
SG: Svi (28) / Wright (14) / Rose (6)
SF: Grant (30) / Bey (18)
PF: Griffin (20)/ Sekou (24) / Bey (4)
C: Plumlee (20) / Griffin (12) / Okafor-Stewart (16)

I think the rotation should be something like this, knowing that Casey likes to go with a deep rotation and even spread of minutes.

Overall minutes:
Blake - 32
Grant - 30
Rose- 26
Sekou - 24
Hayes - 24
Plumlee 24
Bey - 22
Wright - 18
Okafor or Stewart 16


More realistic:

PG - Rose (32) / Wright (16)
SG - Svi (32) / Jackson (16)
SF - Grant (34) / Bey (14)
PF - Griffin (34) / Sekou (14)
C - Plumlee (26) / Bradley (14) / Okafor (8)


Agree that Rose and Blake are not playing 30+ minutes a night. Casey wants that, believe me, but they cant play that many minutes.

Svi cant play 32 minutes a night. Plumlee at 26 is pushing it too, hes just an energy big and will run himself ragged.

If there is any positive, its that Casey will be unable to play the veterans too much because they simply arent able to hold up over a long time, playing big minutes.

Grant probably could play big minutes, but Nuggets fans are saying he is NOT a SF and can not play there.

Problem is Griffin/Grant is every minute of PF. So where does Sekou and Bey play?
User avatar
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 22,120
And1: 2,234
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Contact:

Re: Current roster 

Post#76 » by bstein14 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:09 pm

Is Delon Wright at 8.5 million per year better than what Bruce Brown gave us? They are both 6'5" players and Brown is younger with more potential I just don't see the benefit of dumping Brown out of the picture to then spend $8.5 million per year on Wright for two years. Brown is just 24 and Wright is 28.
440BB
Junior
Posts: 337
And1: 220
Joined: Jul 13, 2017
     

Re: Current roster 

Post#77 » by 440BB » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:13 pm

Bey is a SF and Sekou doesn't look ready to me, so if Griffin is healthy for a half season maybe we can showcase him a bit and move him out. If Blake's not healthy he's just a cheerleader and Grant/Sekou will be fine as Sekou develops over the next year or so before we move Grant out on his last year.
rmfc
Analyst
Posts: 3,518
And1: 763
Joined: Jul 19, 2009
     

Re: Current roster 

Post#78 » by rmfc » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:21 pm

Han Solo wrote:Honestly still remaining calm through all this. We have a completely new team and a GM that is obviously not afraid to make moves.

None of us know how this will end up. The “RealGm experts” bash anything they can. Been that way for my 10 years on here.

Seems like we are going to be at the very least.. interesting. No one knows anything. Especially with Rose and Griffin still on the team.


Agreed. Even though it's very annoying to watch the moves made in FA, I want to see what Weaver can do. May be there are some deals to be made in the near future based on the direction the team's headed.
JNewton
Veteran
Posts: 2,826
And1: 65
Joined: Aug 20, 2002

Re: Current roster 

Post#79 » by JNewton » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:33 pm

A lot of these moves are headscratchers for sure, but at the end of the day, the Pistons are going to be pretty bad for the next 3 years or so and have all of their first rounders (the pick sent out to Houston won't be conveyed any time soon), so I suppose that's all that really matters. Just need some lotto luck for the first time since Darko.
oldncreaky
Junior
Posts: 264
And1: 117
Joined: Feb 29, 2004
Location: A retirement village near you
   

Re: Current roster 

Post#80 » by oldncreaky » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:52 pm

flow wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Should of just kept Drummond, Kennard and Snell and rode out next year. All these moves giving up assets and stretching players is just beyond idiotic.


As I search for a silver lining to the disaster that was last night, it's difficult. But I'll give it a shot-

If I were to ignore the ridiculous moves & contracts, the misguided direction behind bringing them here, and the significant delay to a meaningful rebuild bringing them here has caused.... I'm happy to have Grant and Plumlee on the team. They are definitely 'Piston' players. I'll enjoy watching them go 30-42 much more than I would have enjoyed watching Drummond & RJ go 30-42. And their presence will be much more beneficial to the young guys than Drummond & RJ would have been.

There. I tried.


Yeah, when you've signed role players, they shouldn't be too upset when they get beat out by undrafted rookies. RJ and Drummond would have sulked, and once every 4 games reminded us why they got big contracts. When you want to tank, it is better to go with a hard-working untalented team than a talented but lazy as F team.

There. I tried too. Which one of us is more convincing?

(Of course, if we hand on to Rose in a desperate attempt to squeeze into the play-in, I just don't get the strategy)
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis

Return to Detroit Pistons