ImageImageImage

Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#21 » by mattao313 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:41 pm

Lol another blunder let go of a modern nba big man for friggin plumlee. Manson Plumlee guys like how did weaver get a job as a NBA gm
Championships
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#22 » by Laimbeer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:46 pm

This just keeps getting more unbelievable.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#23 » by DBC10 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:49 pm

That tweet is so cringe though. Best player in Kennard? You'd think we lost prime Ginobili with the way the tweet laments. And no media person hyped us, we literally just cleared the minimum in the draft with Hayes and Bey
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#24 » by zeebneeb » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:00 pm

Makes me wonder not if Weaver is a good evaluator of talent, but how in depth he is going into each player, the leg work as it were. I thought for sure Wood(s) didn't want to be here but this raises questions about Weavers philosophy, work ethic, and understanding.

Definitely a caution sign for sure. I am pretty sure the overwhelming majority of us fans here would have resigned him for that price easy.

Damn. I am concerned.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#25 » by Kilo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:00 pm

He was let go for Grant. Grant is a 3/4 with ability to play small ball Ce.

Would Wood and Griffin be able to play together 30mpg+? Griffin has always played beside a traditional big - DeAndre Jordan and then Drummond.

Grant's ability to guard the Kawhi's and Lebrons can't be overlooked here either.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#26 » by NYPiston » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:01 pm

I get that Weaver wanted to add more proven players with a defensive mindset but Wood's skillset would have been a perfect fit for Hayes in the pick and roll with his ability to fly to the rim and pick and pop to the 3 point line.

If he really wanted to be here, they could have signed him to that contract and still have flexibility to add or keep the powder dry for teams looking to dump contracts and attach picks. Real missed opportunity if it's true that he wanted to be here.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,226

Post#27 » by thesack12 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:05 pm

Kilo wrote:He was let go for Grant. Grant is a 3/4 with ability to play small ball Ce.

Would Wood and Griffin be able to play together 30mpg+? Griffin has always played beside a traditional big - DeAndre Jordan and then Drummond.

Grant's ability to guard the Kawhi's and Lebrons can't be overlooked here either.

Wood is mobile/Athletic/Skilled enough to play either the 4 or 5. One could even make a case, that he could be used at the 3 from time to time.

If we are rebuilding, remind me why we are currently concerned with trying to guard superstars on championship caliber teams that are in the other conference?
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#28 » by MrBigShot » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:06 pm

Literally pathetic, my faith in Weaver just completely went out the window. Feels like his time here working out will be contingent on whether or not he lucks into a franchise player in the draft.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Kilo
RealGM

Post#29 » by Kilo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:09 pm

DBC10 wrote:That tweet is so cringe though. Best player in Kennard? You'd think we lost prime Ginobili with the way the tweet laments. And no media person hyped us, we literally just cleared the minimum in the draft with Hayes and Bey

I think Kennard could blow up in LAC, but never would have happened here. Kennard is way too deferral a personality - but at least with LAC he'll be deferring to Kawhi and Paul George, whereas in Detroit he was going along to get along with Reggie Jackson and Andre Drummond. If being "Lionized" is a thing with the Detroit Football team players/coaches, he was the Piston equivalent (Kennard sometimes had that 1000 yard stare while on the bench). Anybody who looked up to Jackson and Dre as lockerroom leaders or role models needed to be fumigated out, for their sake and the teams.
Weaver = Hinkie
Kilo
RealGM

Post#30 » by Kilo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:15 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Kilo wrote:He was let go for Grant. Grant is a 3/4 with ability to play small ball Ce.

Wood is mobile/Athletic/Skilled enough to play either the 4 or 5. One could even make a case, that he could be used at the 3 from time to time.

If we are rebuilding, remind me why we are currently concerned with trying to guard superstars on championship caliber teams that are in the other conference?

Tatum, Butler, Simmons...

You still want to be competitive. Also Grant is 26 yrs old. And he can be a model for Sekou, Bey, Jackson
Weaver = Hinkie
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#31 » by Piston Pete » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:18 pm

I think Grant is good. Really good. Overpay, but he’s good.

That said, signing him was redundant. We already had guys like him here - Sekou, Bey, even Griffin.

We don’t have anyone here like Wood.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,781

Post#32 » by Snakebites » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:25 pm

Yeah, just to make sure we’re framing this correctly, we chose GRANT over Wood, not Plumlee.

That’s debatable from a positional perspective, but not from a financial one. Wood wasn’t gonna take less money to stay. You can agree or disagree with the choice of Grant over Wood ( and you know how I feel about giving Grant 60 mill), but let’s not misframe the discussion.

Maybe I’m missing something, I see nothing in the OP that confirms it’s true Wood didn’t want to leave. Very disappointing if true.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,226

Post#33 » by thesack12 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:46 pm

Kilo wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Tatum, Butler, Simmons...

You still want to be competitive. Also Grant is 26 yrs old. And he can be a model for Sekou, Bey, Jackson

Grant is a solid player, but I can think of a lot better ways to utilize $20 mil/season than a guy that might be a defensive stopper while struggling to create his own offense.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#34 » by Snakebites » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:46 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Makes me wonder not if Weaver is a good evaluator of talent, but how in depth he is going into each player, the leg work as it were. I thought for sure Wood(s) didn't want to be here but this raises questions about Weavers philosophy, work ethic, and understanding.

Definitely a caution sign for sure. I am pretty sure the overwhelming majority of us fans here would have resigned him for that price easy.

Damn. I am concerned.

As fans I think it’s fine to question moves, but I think it’s a bridge too far to start judging the character of the people making them.

We don’t have enough information to do that.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,551

Post#35 » by pistonsbball » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Hard to defend Weaver if true. If you were gonna build the ideal big for the modern game, at least offensively, Wood would be it. A high level roll man who can pop just as well. Look at AD in the playoffs.

I'd give him the Grant contract in a heartbeat. If Wood pans out and lives up to what he showed last season then that's a guy that can elevate a franchise. Grant is a nice piece, but he doesn't have that in him.

I hope he dominates for Houston.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#36 » by Han Solo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:56 pm

Snakebites wrote:Yeah, just to make sure we’re framing this correctly, we chose GRANT over Wood, not Plumlee.

That’s debatable from a positional perspective, but not from a financial one. Wood wasn’t gonna take less money to stay. You can agree or disagree with the choice of Grant over Wood ( and you know how I feel about giving Grant 60 mill), but let’s not misframe the discussion.

Maybe I’m missing something, I see nothing in the OP that confirms it’s true Wood didn’t want to leave. Very disappointing if true.

The guy asked Christian if he wanted to leave and Christian responded “NOT TRUE” in all caps.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#37 » by Han Solo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:58 pm

I’ve been behind Weaver 100% through all of this.

But this feels like a punch in the gut.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#38 » by Snakebites » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:06 pm

Han Solo wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Yeah, just to make sure we’re framing this correctly, we chose GRANT over Wood, not Plumlee.

The guy asked Christian if he wanted to leave and Christian responded “NOT TRUE” in all caps.

Just to play devil’s advocate, wouldn’t he say that regardless?

He’s not gonna say “oh yeah, I was ready to GTFO of the place that gave me my break”. No player wants to be demonized by fans.

I’ve been pretty demoralized by Weaver’s cap management but I’m not sure I’m convinced by this.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#39 » by Piston Pete » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:07 pm

The point is, he didn’t HAVE to say anything.

But he DID
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#40 » by TPA » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:10 pm

If you don't want to leave a place, you don't go out and ask all of your fans where you should play the following season.

Return to Detroit Pistons