ImageImageImage

Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

Play007
Sophomore
Posts: 119
And1: 0
Joined: Feb 09, 2002
     

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#221 » by Play007 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:59 am

sfballa13 wrote:
Play007 wrote:
Crymson wrote:
James Edwards confirmed that Weaver was unwilling to offer Wood more than $10 million this season. Even if that $10 million were offered, that's a paltry $2.3 million less than Plumlee is earning. And Wood is vastly more capable.


I simply just stating that 8 mills was not verified as some are referencing.

Mason Plumlee signed a 3 year / $24,662,500 contract with the Detroit Pistons,

Houston initial offer was 27 million/3 year. Then someone up it and Houston came back with 41 millions/3 years.


Woods at 15M is a steal

Teams would be lining up to pay a guy 15M to put up 23 pts / 9 rebounds / 2 blocks on 54% shooting

Now imagine packaging up Wood in a deal with Rose, Kennard, Bruce Brown, four 2nd round draft picks, what do you think you could get back in a trade like that?

Weaver had every opportunity to create a great situation in Detroit and literally went out of his way to muck it up

Joke


Not sure why you are quoting our discussion on verification on the source, your comments does not seem to be related as I never comment about whether the deal is worth or not.

But since you brought this up on the deal value, here is my 2 cents.
Since at 15 mills is such a steal, why he only got 14 mills deal? Why every other team in the league not chasing him, recalled Knicks had interest in him as well? He is eligible to receive up to 27.285 mills at max, why no team is offering him 18 or 20 mills?
I am not debating on his value at all, however it is much easier to judge afterward. I do agree he is worth 15mills but 28 other gms in the league obviously had doubts prior to the start of the offseason, or they can easily offer over 14mills.
Lets just move on and congratulate Houston got a steal.
On our gm, lets judge on moves he made not moves he didnt make. As mentioned in my earlier comments, it takes two to make a deal.
Again just my 2 cents!
Pistons.......Rings........... and Joe Dumar. Anything else I need to say?
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,629
And1: 3,500
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#222 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:02 am

At no point have I stated it was a unambiguously outstanding off-season so congrats on another Strawman.

You constructed it well, stated your opinion on so many different players and you expect those opinions to be the consensus.

It's not, you're the one beating a dead horse regardless of what I type but it is enjoyable.
Crymson wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Think it's far more likely Wood didn't want to waste another 2-3 years here while we "restore" the place.


Said without basis, after you were forced to retreat from your conjectural claim that Wood didn't want to stay based on two vague comments from Instagram. Weaver wasn't willing to pay him anyway. Accept that reality. It's a fact.

Or some can believe Weaver didn't value his talent despite landing Bey, Stewart, Lee, Grant, Jackson in one short off-season


As if this lends any assurance with regards to his competence. He traded Kennard and four(!) second-round picks to a team that wanted what Kennard had to offer, drafted Stewart (a traditional center with a moderate ceiling) at a position that could have sacrificed the chance at Bey to begin with, drafted Lee (from whom we've seen nothing; exactly what are you claiming?) high in the second round when he could very possibly have had him outside of the draft, and paid upwards of $20 million per season for Grant to no apparent gain for a team that isn't trying to win. He also handed $25 million to Plumlee (an action that necessitated adding upwards of $17 million in dead cap through buyouts), a roundly mediocre traditional center; and inexplicably gave two years to Okafor, a dead-end traditional center. Jackson was a good move, but an elementary move: one of the imperatives of any successful rebuild is to take fliers on underdeveloped, underappreciated, or untapped talent, and Weaver did that with only a single player.

What about the above indicates to you an unambiguously outstanding offseason?


Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,629
And1: 3,500
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#223 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 am

Yes, our new GM deliberately and purposefully went out of his way to muck up the rebuild.

He had the entire off-season after all
sfballa13 wrote:
Play007 wrote:
Crymson wrote:
James Edwards confirmed that Weaver was unwilling to offer Wood more than $10 million this season. Even if that $10 million were offered, that's a paltry $2.3 million less than Plumlee is earning. And Wood is vastly more capable.


I simply just stating that 8 mills was not verified as some are referencing.

Mason Plumlee signed a 3 year / $24,662,500 contract with the Detroit Pistons,

Houston initial offer was 27 million/3 year. Then someone up it and Houston came back with 41 millions/3 years.


Woods at 15M is a steal

Teams would be lining up to pay a guy 15M to put up 23 pts / 9 rebounds / 2 blocks on 54% shooting

Now imagine packaging up Wood in a deal with Rose, Kennard, Bruce Brown, four 2nd round draft picks, what do you think you could get back in a trade like that?

Weaver had every opportunity to create a great situation in Detroit and literally went out of his way to muck it up

Joke


Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
El Chivo
Starter
Posts: 2,109
And1: 854
Joined: Jun 19, 2015
Location: Roma
       

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#224 » by El Chivo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:11 am

plenty of good and great players in the league and the board keeps whining for good players gone.

is Christian Wood the difference between a bad team and a winning one? or he would have been an "help" to be once again a treadmill team?
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
DetroitSho
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,405
And1: 1,570
Joined: Sep 28, 2012

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#225 » by DetroitSho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:33 pm

I mean at what point are you guys going to move on? I wanted Wood to stay just as much as the next guy, but FFS!!!

Ideally for me it would've been great to have Wood AND Grant and call it an off-season. But faced with the choice between Wood OR Grant, no matter if you disagree, that's not the big blunder the million pages of this thread would suggest.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,868
And1: 8,139
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#226 » by Manocad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:58 pm

Apparently Christian Wood was a unicorn, the Hudson Building and Tiger Stadium all rolled into one.
Image
User avatar
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,501
And1: 223
Joined: Feb 24, 2008

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#227 » by Mr. Krabs » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:04 pm

It is not like Pistons fans are the only ones that can't move on, whole league has been clowning us for this since the beginning of the season.

And they are not wrong, he signed a 13mil/year contract at the end of the day so this is going to be talked about for a while.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,868
And1: 8,139
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#228 » by Manocad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:17 pm

Mr. Krabs wrote:It is not like Pistons fans are the only ones that can't move on, whole league has been clowning us for this since the beginning of the season.

And they are not wrong, he signed a 13mil/year contract at the end of the day so this is going to be talked about for a while.

I wish the Pistons had kept Wood. But I think since you didn't like how it turned out you're making a little bit of a mountain out of a molehill to support your rhetoric. It's not realistic to think the whole league is "clowning" the Pistons for letting a player go that they should have kept rather than just saying "That was dumb; shoulda kept that guy" and moved on, especially since it only affects two teams in the league--the Pistons and the Rockets. I did a quick Google search and the most recent article I found on the subject was written in November. Doesn't really equate to "will be talked about for a while" to me, but to each his own. Relative to the Pistons my guess is that lamenting about the Darko pick will outlast this.

I look at losing Christian Wood like you dropped your car keys into a river a molten lava. Forget about 'em, man, 'cause they're GONE.
Image
thesack12
General Manager
Posts: 9,322
And1: 1,124
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#229 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:37 pm

The "whining" allegations are always amusing to me. They only get thrown out there because other people expressing their opinions happen to differ from their own opinion.

The ironic part about it is accusing others of "whining" is actually "whining" about the terrible experience you have to endure by reading such opinions on a message board.
DetroitSho
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,405
And1: 1,570
Joined: Sep 28, 2012

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#230 » by DetroitSho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:43 pm

Mr. Krabs wrote:It is not like Pistons fans are the only ones that can't move on, whole league has been clowning us for this since the beginning of the season.

And they are not wrong, he signed a 13mil/year contract at the end of the day so this is going to be talked about for a while.
The whole league has been clowning the Pistons? Huh?

Just like I tell my employees at work, can you please provide some account examples?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
440BB
Junior
Posts: 450
And1: 286
Joined: Jul 13, 2017
     

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#231 » by 440BB » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:36 pm

Whining isn't what I see, its ruminating. From Healthline -
The process of continuously thinking about the same thoughts, which tend to be sad or dark, is called rumination. A habit of rumination can be dangerous to your mental health, as it can prolong or intensify depression as well as impair your ability to think and process emotions.


How long will the rumination go on? Sadly, for some, forever.

I'm estimating 75% Ruminating, 25% Pot Stirring this far out from the transaction.
thesack12
General Manager
Posts: 9,322
And1: 1,124
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#232 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:50 pm

440BB wrote:Whining isn't what I see, its ruminating. From Healthline -
The process of continuously thinking about the same thoughts, which tend to be sad or dark, is called rumination. A habit of rumination can be dangerous to your mental health, as it can prolong or intensify depression as well as impair your ability to think and process emotions.


How long will the rumination go on? Sadly, for some, forever.

I'm estimating 75% Ruminating, 25% Pot Stirring this far out from the transaction.


The Josh Smith signing still gets talked about 8 years later.
The Stanley over Booker pick still gets talked about 6 years later.
The Kennard over Mitchell pick still gets talked about 4 years later.

But the general consensus is the vast majority agree with those opinions, so when they get mentioned no "whining" allegations get thrown around.

I mean we're like a month after the Wood departure (a total of 8 games), and he's done nothing but ball out since. Of course people are going to express their frustrations about what could have been. If you want to analyze someones psyschological makeup and mental health based on them expressing their opinions on a message board themed around relevant subject matter, go right ahead. But to me, it ain't that deep.

As for "stirring the pot" goes, that is exactly your purpose here.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 36,653
And1: 7,072
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#233 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:53 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
Mr. Krabs wrote:It is not like Pistons fans are the only ones that can't move on, whole league has been clowning us for this since the beginning of the season.

And they are not wrong, he signed a 13mil/year contract at the end of the day so this is going to be talked about for a while.
The whole league has been clowning the Pistons? Huh?

Just like I tell my employees at work, can you please provide some account examples?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

I’d actually go another direction here.

Who CARES?

I never understood the obsession with what other teams or their fans think.

We let a good player go when it looks like we could have kept him, and yeah, that sucks. You can either keep complaining about it or you can move on. The latter is better for your well being. I’m not really sure what we’re still arguing about here.

You’ve got the people who can get over it and the people who can’t. If you really and truly can’t maybe you need to take a break from this team. I can’t necessarily blame you. Many Pistons fans have stepped away. Even a significant portion of posters here don’t watch the games anymore. That’s a perfectly acceptable and understandable thing to do.

But one thing you should never be worried about is other teams “clowning” us.
DetroitSho
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,405
And1: 1,570
Joined: Sep 28, 2012

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#234 » by DetroitSho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:25 pm

thesack12 wrote:
440BB wrote:Whining isn't what I see, its ruminating. From Healthline -
The process of continuously thinking about the same thoughts, which tend to be sad or dark, is called rumination. A habit of rumination can be dangerous to your mental health, as it can prolong or intensify depression as well as impair your ability to think and process emotions.


How long will the rumination go on? Sadly, for some, forever.

I'm estimating 75% Ruminating, 25% Pot Stirring this far out from the transaction.


The Josh Smith signing still gets talked about 8 years later.
The Stanley over Booker pick still gets talked about 6 years later.
The Kennard over Mitchell pick still gets talked about 4 years later.

But the general consensus is the vast majority agree with those opinions, so when they get mentioned no "whining" allegations get thrown around.

I mean we're like a month after the Wood departure (a total of 8 games), and he's done nothing but ball out since. Of course people are going to express their frustrations about what could have been. If you want to analyze someones psyschological makeup and mental health based on them expressing their opinions on a message board themed around relevant subject matter, go right ahead. But to me, it ain't that deep.

As for "stirring the pot" goes, that is exactly your purpose here.
The Josh Smith signing, Stanley over Booker and Kennard over Mitchell situations are all 10 times more franchise crippling than this man.

Let's say we signed Wood for $15 million per, he would have been an asset that's like an 9 out of 10 in value in terms of a future trade. We signed Grant. Grant right now is like an 8 (lower because he makes more) and could be a 9 if he keeps it up. Why the outrage other than personal freaking preference?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 16,338
And1: 406
Joined: Feb 07, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#235 » by Piston Pete » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:58 pm

I think it’s going to go on for quite some time now.

Players like Wood don’t come along very often.

He’s a modern-day big man who can score from all three levels and can protect the rim.

He’s only 25 years old

He’s currently averaging 23 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks per.

So 1) he’s a good player
2) he’s still young

And most importantly, 3) the Pistons had him!

We’re used to seeing guys like this go to other teams and thinking, “man, why didn’t we go after him?”

But we had him and used our cap to sign other guys. I think that’s what have people most upset.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,868
And1: 8,139
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#236 » by Manocad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:58 pm

thesack12 wrote:The "whining" allegations are always amusing to me. They only get thrown out there because other people expressing their opinions happen to differ from their own opinion.

The ironic part about it is accusing others of "whining" is actually "whining" about the terrible experience you have to endure by reading such opinions on a message board.

By that definition, you're whining. :D
Image
DetroitSho
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,405
And1: 1,570
Joined: Sep 28, 2012

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#237 » by DetroitSho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:52 pm

Piston Pete wrote:I think it’s going to go on for quite some time now.

Players like Wood don’t come along very often.

He’s a modern-day big man who can score from all three levels and can protect the rim.

He’s only 25 years old

He’s currently averaging 23 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks per.

So 1) he’s a good player
2) he’s still young

And most importantly, 3) the Pistons had him!

We’re used to seeing guys like this go to other teams and thinking, “man, why didn’t we go after him?”

But we had him and used our cap to sign other guys. I think that’s what have people most upset.
Ok, I like Wood. But can we please stop with the "don't come along very often" or, gulp, "unicorn" talk? While what he provides is very valuable, it's not RARE. Based on what many are saying about this Mobley kid, I haven't watched him, we could potentially replace Wood with a better version of him in the draft if we wanted to.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 36,653
And1: 7,072
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#238 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:13 pm

If we’re going to make a big deal out of the fact that he’s averaging 2 blocks a game in 7 games (even pretending for a moment that this makes him a good rim protector), we have to set much stock in the fact that he’s shooting 25% from 3 over that time.

Can’t have it both ways.

Again, he’s a good player, but people insist on talking about him like he’s a top 15 player, and that really needs to stop.
User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 16,338
And1: 406
Joined: Feb 07, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#239 » by Piston Pete » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:25 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:I think it’s going to go on for quite some time now.

Players like Wood don’t come along very often.

He’s a modern-day big man who can score from all three levels and can protect the rim.

He’s only 25 years old

He’s currently averaging 23 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks per.

So 1) he’s a good player
2) he’s still young

And most importantly, 3) the Pistons had him!

We’re used to seeing guys like this go to other teams and thinking, “man, why didn’t we go after him?”

But we had him and used our cap to sign other guys. I think that’s what have people most upset.
Ok, I like Wood. But can we please stop with the "don't come along very often" or, gulp, "unicorn" talk? While what he provides is very valuable, it's not RARE. Based on what many are saying about this Mobley kid, I haven't watched him, we could potentially replace Wood with a better version of him in the draft if we wanted to.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


Are you saying young bigs who can score from all three levels come along quite often?

If so, why don’t we have a similar replacement on the roster now?

What if Mobley is gone before we pick?

I mean, if Wood was such “a dime a dozen” as you make him out to be, replacing him should have been fairly easy.

Should we add that to the list of things Weaver done messed up on this off-season? He failed to replace Wood with one of the MANY young, athletic bigs who can score inside and out?
DetroitSho
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,405
And1: 1,570
Joined: Sep 28, 2012

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#240 » by DetroitSho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:49 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:I think it’s going to go on for quite some time now.

Players like Wood don’t come along very often.

He’s a modern-day big man who can score from all three levels and can protect the rim.

He’s only 25 years old

He’s currently averaging 23 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks per.

So 1) he’s a good player
2) he’s still young

And most importantly, 3) the Pistons had him!

We’re used to seeing guys like this go to other teams and thinking, “man, why didn’t we go after him?”

But we had him and used our cap to sign other guys. I think that’s what have people most upset.
Ok, I like Wood. But can we please stop with the "don't come along very often" or, gulp, "unicorn" talk? While what he provides is very valuable, it's not RARE. Based on what many are saying about this Mobley kid, I haven't watched him, we could potentially replace Wood with a better version of him in the draft if we wanted to.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


Are you saying young bigs who can score from all three levels come along quite often?

If so, why don’t we have a similar replacement on the roster now?

What if Mobley is gone before we pick?

I mean, if Wood was such “a dime a dozen” as you make him out to be, replacing him should have been fairly easy.

Should we add that to the list of things Weaver done messed up on this off-season? He failed to replace Wood with one of the MANY young, athletic bigs who can score inside and out?
#1 whether we actually draft Mobley or not wasn't the point. The point is there's ANOTHER Wood coming out, which goes to my point that he's not rare. 5 years after his draft year Wood has put together about 50 games of great NBA production. Why are we making him generational?

#2 "replacing Wood" shouldn't be Weaver's goal if all that entails is trying find the exact same player that he was. The goal is to build a winner, whatever those pieces may be.

Again, having a 6'10 guy that can score at all 3 levels is a PERSONAL PREFERENCE for y'all moreso than it is a perquisite to winning. You can argue that Weaver already did replace Wood with Grant. You took one guy that scored alot on a team that lost damn near every game and replaced him with another guy that scores even more on a team that loses damn near every game. The way Wood did it was sexier. Don't make it to be any more than that.

At this point, it's starting to feel like I'm bashing him because y'all are going freaking overboard. I'll just let y'all have this one because I don't want to get confused with somebody who's not disappointed he's gone.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Detroit Pistons