ImageImageImage

Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#281 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:50 pm

440BB wrote:Apples and oranges. Sekou is in a position with a number of others ahead of him in experience, while Hayes was put in his position because Rose can't play major minutes anymore. Sekou came in as a raw project while Hayes was expected to be ready to some degree.

Sekou’s in that position because Weaver signed Grant and Casey plays him 37 minutes per game. I really enjoy watching Grant play, but, as mentioned earlier in this thread, why is he a Piston? Why is Plumlee?

This was our lineup last night for the final four minutes.......

Wright
Jackson
Grant
Blake
Plumlee

WE WERE DOWN TWENTY!!!!!!!

Seriously, go back to the night of the draft. Look at those five names. What would you have said?

Weaver’s trying to win as many basketball games as possible. So is Casey. Fortunately for the pro tankers, Weaver is terrible at his job, and Casey can’t win with what Weaver has given him - at least so far. But he’s trying. Again, look at that five....... really?
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#282 » by Piston Pete » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:52 pm

440BB wrote:Apples and oranges. Sekou is in a position with a number of others ahead of him in experience, while Hayes was put in his position because Rose can't play major minutes anymore. Sekou came in as a raw project while Hayes was expected to be ready to some degree.

Expected?

He was here and he’s just as “not ready” as anyone else on the roster.

But Casey would talk about him and how he’s committed to playing and developing him.

That same theory should hold true with Sekou. But miraculously, does not.

And your “others ahead of him in experience” comment doesn’t hold true.

Hayes had Rose and Wright ahead of him. Wright, they moved to SG and Rose comes off the bench (but plays more minutes)

Sekou only had Blake ahead of him.

Honestly, every minute Okafor plays should be going to Stewart and Sekou.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#283 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:01 am

I'm not arguing both ways I'm commenting on what I see.

Hayes got 15-25 minutes regardless.

Sekou does not!

Obviously both guys are viewed differently by the coaching staff
Piston Pete wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:No but obviously PG is a little bit different and they view him in a different light
Piston Pete wrote:Has Hayes looked awesome?

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app

But you can’t argue both ways.

Sekou looks raw. Well, dude is only 20 years old and has a coach that won’t play him.

Hayes looks just as raw, if not worse. But Casey was fine playing him. Let alone STARTING him. If he didn’t get hurt, he would have developed as the season went on.

That’s not happening w/Sekou because he’s not being played.

Casey is obviously treating them different.

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#284 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:03 am

Yeah Weaver say around for 5 months and thought the best way to win games was to acquire Plumlee, Grant, Wright, Jackson etc & let Wood get away.

Or maybe it's actually Casey that wants to "compete to win" (& those are his words) and that's why all the kids don't play all the time
ByeByeDre wrote:

Sekou’s in that position because Weaver signed Grant and Casey plays him 37 minutes per game. I really enjoy watching Grant play, but, as mentioned earlier in this thread, why is he a Piston? Why is Plumlee?

This was our lineup last night for the final four minutes.......

Wright
Jackson
Grant
Blake
Plumlee

WE WERE DOWN TWENTY!!!!!!!

Seriously, go back to the night of the draft. Look at those five names. What would you have said?

Weaver’s trying to win as many basketball games as possible. So is Casey. Fortunately for the pro tankers, Weaver is terrible at his job, and Casey can’t win with what Weaver has given him - at least so far. But he’s trying. Again, look at that five....... really?

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#285 » by flow » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:29 am

Wood's got 15 & 8 five minutes into the 2nd quarter.

Just sayin.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#286 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:51 am

flow wrote:Wood's got 15 & 8 five minutes into the 2nd quarter.

Just sayin.

Hes getting carried by those playmakers we don't have. JK Wall out and Harden gone. Not to mention he did it last year with no playmakers when Casey was forced to actually start him.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#287 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:55 am

flow wrote:Wood's got 15 & 8 five minutes into the 2nd quarter.

Just sayin.

He should of signed for less years, Dudes gonna earn himself a damn near max if he stays healthy.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#288 » by Piston Pete » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:00 am

Hmm.....

A Jerami Grant for Wood/filler trade could work for both sides.
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#289 » by ByeByeDre » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:43 am

Piston Pete wrote:Hmm.....

A Jerami Grant for Wood/filler trade could work for both sides.

Nah - centers with range have no value in today’s NBA. I’ll stick with DedStewLeeFor, thanks. :banghead: :banghead:
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#290 » by ByeByeDre » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:53 am

He’s killing San Antonio
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#291 » by vic » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:59 am

Dumars - Darko
SVG - Donovan Mitchell
Weaver - Wood

Bright side - let's hope Troy got his biggest failure out the way early! Start at the bottom of the league, go up from here. Fresh slate.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#292 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:01 am

Imagine if Wood was on the roster instead of Plumlee!

We'd be a low seed and get stomped for years

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#293 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:05 am

Pharaoh wrote:Imagine if Wood was on the roster instead of Plumlee!

We'd be a low seed and get stomped for years

We were going to just trade Wood for draft picks and tank. Mistakes were made.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#294 » by vege » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:05 am

27/15 and 3 blocks for Wood as the first option for Houston.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#295 » by Piston Pete » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:13 am

Wood instead of Plumlee, we’d still have the tank rolling.

We still have gaping holes with very little production from our PGs or PFs....and on most nights, our SGs too
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#296 » by ByeByeDre » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:23 am

It all makes sense now......

We can’t sign Wood for 40 million because he might help us win games. Instead, let’s get Plumlee, Grant, Dedmon and Smith for 105 million, then stretch two of them, so we might win slightly fewer games.

Got it.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#297 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:42 am

At this point I dont trust anything that Weaver does if he can make a mistake as glaring as letting go Wood go.

Every Pistons fan wanted him back, especially at $15 million a year, it was a no brainer.

I'd rather Weaver come out and say how bad he got that one wrong, rather than have us pile on the guy.

Bey looks good. Josh Jackson looks good. Grant looks good.

Hayes - Darko bad.
Plumlee - up and down, but he doesnt work for the Pistons who lack shooters anyways. Wright, Blake, Plumlee lineups are unwatchable.
Trading Bruce Brown, for Musa who we cut? The Toronto second is nice, but who knew they would tank so hard?
Wright has been horrible here. He is afraid of shooting.
Stretching Dedmon to get Ellington and McGruder? huh?

Weaver looks like he did a bad job. We'll see, but right now the Wood thing alone puts him in the group of worst GMs in the league. Maybe he hits like 5 home runs in a row?
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#298 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:54 am

Not sure how some can view Wood as this elite big man and then claim if we had him here we wouldn't be winning a lot more games

Either he's exceptional or he's not!

We've been extremely competitive in most games even without Wood - yet you guys don't believe him being here would turn some of those losses into wins

ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#299 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:01 am

I think it's fair to say Weaver has been a mixed bag thus far. Anyone saying he's been trash or he's been our savior is just blindly following their own narrative.

Positives:
Lured Grant away from Denver.
Kennard for Bey. Already playing better now with higher ceiling and without tendinitis.
Culture Change. Part of the work of dropping Drummond/Reggie was done pre-Weaver, but he specifically went out and got hard workers.
Josh Jackson was a great pickup.
Set up well for a high draft pick.

Negatives:
Lowballing Christian Wood.
Giving away a capable and improving Bruce Brown for nothing.
Trading for guys only to stretch them. So we can sign Plumlee?
Hayes over Halliburton. Jury's still out on Hayes and nobody could've anticipated the injury, but early returns on Halliburton are looking really good.
Trading up for Stewart. I love the guy and he is decent but you could've gotten a similar level player like Tillman in the 2nd.
Still have Blake and Rose.
Okafor's still on the team.

Granted, some of our positives and negatives are intertwined. If we sign Wood and keep a steady presence like Brown, we aren't as well set up for a high draft pick. If Brown isn't seen as a long term important piece then why let him help us win in the short term? Additionally, we probably desired guys like Plumlee and Grant over Wood for the culture change that Weaver has prioritized.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#300 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:40 am

Weird thing about signing Plumlee:

Dedmon likely provides that same "culture" stuff he does but was a better contract to have on the books.

And we stretched Smith only to sign Ellington as a free agent! Why? We already had a vet PG (Rose) & swingman (McGruder) - didn't need another one!

Fair enough Smith might not ever become anything in the league but we all know what Ellington is.

As a team racing to the bottom getting guys like Smith, Jackson, Jackson and even Okafor for cheap is a good thing! If you hit on any of them cool. If not who cares?

The 2020 Draft went about as well as we could have expected considering what was known at the time.

The Brown trade wasn't all that big of a issue when it happened.

The Wood lowball must have been a culture thing. There's no other logical reason.

The Grant signing? Who knew he'd even contemplate coming here? Who knew he would be this good?
ElectricMayhem wrote:I think it's fair to say Weaver has been a mixed bag thus far. Anyone saying he's been trash or he's been our savior is just blindly following their own narrative.

Positives:
Lured Grant away from Denver.
Kennard for Bey. Already playing better now with higher ceiling and without tendinitis.
Culture Change. Part of the work of dropping Drummond/Reggie was done pre-Weaver, but he specifically went out and got hard workers.
Josh Jackson was a great pickup.
Set up well for a high draft pick.

Negatives:
Lowballing Christian Wood.
Giving away a capable and improving Bruce Brown for nothing.
Trading for guys only to stretch them. So we can sign Plumlee?
Hayes over Halliburton. Jury's still out on Hayes and nobody could've anticipated the injury, but early returns on Halliburton are looking really good.
Trading up for Stewart. I love the guy and he is decent but you could've gotten a similar level player like Tillman in the 2nd.
Still have Blake and Rose.
Okafor's still on the team.

Granted, some of our positives and negatives are intertwined. If we sign Wood and keep a steady presence like Brown, we aren't as well set up for a high draft pick. If Brown isn't seen as a long term important piece then why let him help us win in the short term? Additionally, we probably desired guys like Plumlee and Grant over Wood for the culture change that Weaver has prioritized.

Return to Detroit Pistons