ImageImageImage

Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#341 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:30 am

So you're assuming a line up where Wood replaces Plumlee is somehow bad enough to land a top 5 pick in 2021?

I thought Wood was good?

Teaming him with Grant

But somehow we'd still be terrible?

I don't think so!

I think we'd be all in on the playoff mandate

vic wrote:As I said before this even happened when I assumed we were keeping Wood: letting Wood go sends a bad message to the remaining players on the team that there is something other than hard work & talent that will be rewarded on this team (nepotism and politics, cough cough). It also leaves a sick feeling of bad leadership and erodes confidence that leadership is capable of making winning decisions.

It's a lot more to come back from than people may think. Sometimes you only get one shot. This could have been a very strategic year.

I'm hoping Weaver gets another chance to stack 2 simultaneously improving all star talents the same age on the same team and then add that to a top 5 pick. That's how you change a franchise.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#342 » by vic » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:45 pm

Pharaoh wrote:So you're assuming a line up where Wood replaces Plumlee is somehow bad enough to land a top 5 pick in 2021?

I thought Wood was good?

Teaming him with Grant

I don't think so!

vic wrote:As I said before this even happened when I assumed we were keeping Wood: letting Wood go sends a bad message to the remaining players on the team that there is something other than hard work & talent that will be rewarded on this team (nepotism and politics, cough cough). It also leaves a sick feeling of bad leadership and erodes confidence that leadership is capable of making winning decisions.

It's a lot more to come back from than people may think. Sometimes you only get one shot. This could have been a very strategic year.

I'm hoping Weaver gets another chance to stack 2 simultaneously improving all star talents the same age on the same team and then add that to a top 5 pick. That's how you change a franchise.

Nah team still wouldn't be good. Blake is still playing the 4 and we all saw his decline coming when SVG signed him. We also know that rookie pgs dont do well the first year. Plus the team with 4 rookies and no leadership would take an extra long time to gel. They'd still be a lottery team, just with a better foundation.

Right now they're 2 picks away from relevance. With Wood they"d be 1 pick away, and this would be the most opportune year to fail with the shortened season/covid/4 rookies, etc. All things being equal this year is more likely a year to fail forward.

Next year all the rookies will be better, and the chance to get that 3rd star will be lesser. Thet could have been 1 star away right now. This could have been a 1 year rebuild if they just kept the Allstar that dropped in their lap.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#343 » by Manocad » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:07 pm

vic wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:So you're assuming a line up where Wood replaces Plumlee is somehow bad enough to land a top 5 pick in 2021?

I thought Wood was good?

Teaming him with Grant

I don't think so!

Nah team still wouldn't be good. Blake is still playing the 4 and we all saw his decline coming when SVG signed him. We also know that rookie pgs dont do well the first year. Plus the team with 4 rookies and no leadership would take an extra long time to gel. They'd still be a lottery team, just with a better foundation.

Right now they're 2 picks away from relevance. With Wood they"d be 1 pick away, and this would be the most opportune year to fail with the shortened season/covid/4 rookies, etc. All things being equal this year is more likely a year to fail forward.

Next year all the rookies will be better, and the chance to get that 3rd star will be lesser. Thet could have been 1 star away right now. This could have been a 1 year rebuild if they just kept the Allstar that dropped in their lap.

This could have been a one year rebuild to a #8 seed. This team is nowhere close to contending for a championship; last night's game against the Warriors hammered that message home loud and clear.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,787

Post#344 » by Snakebites » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:43 pm

I thought Wood was good?

Teaming him with Grant

I don't think so!

We wouldn’t be good but we’d have been better with Wood. I don’t know about playoffs but we’d be closer to 2019 than 2020.

What people really want is to have good players and still be bad enough to draft a star in the first round.

In other words, they want to have their cake and eat it too.

It’s still a valid position to say we should have kept Wood. I’m still there- I’m not sure you can win a playoff series with him at center but at some point you have to start building a team- at worst we could have traded him down the line.

But folks need to understand the trade-off and stop with the double think. If he’s actually worth the contract you think we should have signed him to then that would lead to wins. People need to stop imagining a dream scenario where we have Christian Wood but we’re still in line for a top 3 pick ( or a high chance of one). That wasn’t happening, and it it were then maybe Wood wasn’t our guy.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#345 » by Invictus88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:03 pm

There's just so many variables here that it makes my head spin. If we kept Wood would it be possible to still be bad enough to garner a top tier pick? Probably, but that would require Casey actively managing his minutes in order to effectively tank. Would/is Casey willing to do this? If yes then we completely blew it not signing Wood. If not then we damn well better get a top pick now (which isn't at all a certainty I might add).

And what about the possibility of signing him and then flipping him later at the ASB? (For another 1st) Is that actually plausible? If he plays like he has been playing then yes. But how much damage does that do to the tank leading up to the trade?

I think that not bringing Wood back only makes 'sense' if management really is angling towards getting a high 2021 1st. But if that were true then why do all of the maneuvering to go sign Grant and Plumlee? Why trade away all of that future draft capital and hamstring ourselves with wave and stretch deals?

It might sound like the fans are trying to have their cake and eat it too but from my perspective it's the Pistons front office that is doing the same. And by doing this fence-straddling offseason they've really set themselves up to *have* to hit it big in the 2021 draft to save things. And I'm still not even certain that was/is even their intent...
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#346 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:42 pm

I don't believe the FO is stradding the fence though.

If you removed the names Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose from the roster what do we have?

A bunch of kids & cast offs who haven't really done jack in the league yet plus a few vets to "teach" them how.

And Grant!

It's not a "chasing the playoffs" roster at all and I doubt Weaver would have even come here if Gores was still pushing that.
Invictus88 wrote:There's just so many variables here that it makes my head spin. If we kept Wood would it be possible to still be bad enough to garner a top tier pick? Probably, but that would require Casey actively managing his minutes in order to effectively tank. Would/is Casey willing to do this? If yes then we completely blew it not signing Wood. If not then we damn well better get a top pick now (which isn't at all a certainty I might add).

And what about the possibility of signing him and then flipping him later at the ASB? (For another 1st) Is that actually plausible? If he plays like he has been playing then yes. But how much damage does that do to the tank leading up to the trade?

I think that not bringing Wood back only makes 'sense' if management really is angling towards getting a high 2021 1st. But if that were true then why do all of the maneuvering to go sign Grant and Plumlee? Why trade away all of that future draft capital and hamstring ourselves with wave and stretch deals?

It might sound like the fans are trying to have their cake and eat it too but from my perspective it's the Pistons front office that is doing the same. And by doing this fence-straddling offseason they've really set themselves up to *have* to hit it big in the 2021 draft to save things. And I'm still not even certain that was/is even their intent...

DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#347 » by DetroitSho » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:34 pm

The double talk from some people in this thread is getting absurd. He's potentially All NBA but still bad enough for us to get a top 3 pick. Just wtf.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#348 » by flow » Fri Feb 5, 2021 2:58 pm

Wood suffered a severe ankle sprain last night. Landed on Ja Morant's foot. Tough to watch. Probably out at least a month.

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#349 » by Manocad » Fri Feb 5, 2021 3:37 pm

DetroitSho wrote:The double talk from some people in this thread is getting absurd. He's potentially All NBA but still bad enough for us to get a top 3 pick. Just wtf.

Not to mention that regardless of what could or would have happened if Wood had stayed with the Pistons, no one really knows if he truly wanted to. It's not like he's going to go to the media and burn a bridge by saying "Detroit is a s**t show and no way did I want to wait out a rebuilding process when I had a good offer from a (supposedly) contending team."
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#350 » by Piston Pete » Fri Feb 5, 2021 4:19 pm

Dude has been balling!

What’s the point of drafting young studs when we let 25 year old 20/10 centers go for nothing?

I get that we want a top-3 draft pick.

But we should also be looking to keep good, young players here.

Otherwise, instead of being stuck in mediocrity, we’d be stuck in suck
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#351 » by vege » Fri Feb 5, 2021 4:29 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Dude has been balling!

What’s the point of drafting young studs when we let 25 year old 20/10 centers go for nothing?

The narrative that we let Wood go because we'll get a better pick without him is laughable, don't buy it, you're better than that. Weaver and Casey let him go because they're awful.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,787

Post#352 » by Snakebites » Fri Feb 5, 2021 4:32 pm

vege wrote:

The narrative that we let Wood go because we'll get a better pick without him is laughable, don't buy it, you're better than that. Weaver and Casey let him go because they're awful.

Who’s saying that?
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#353 » by Piston Pete » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:38 pm

Read this thread.....
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#354 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Feb 5, 2021 6:40 pm

vege wrote:

The entire narrative is: we must tank, the only way to do that is to play Wayne Ellington and Blake 30+ minutes a night and have Bey play 8 minutes or DNPs, so the team can get young guys, that we dont even play now. Oh and the guy we get is 100% going to be awesome. Or he might be Killian Hayes part II, or Darko.

If I could have Christian Wood on his contract, make it a 4 year deal. That is more valuable than most of the picks in the 2021 draft. Sure, every single one of those guys could be a be HoF players. Whats the chance of that?

Suggs looks great. Maybe he forgets how to dribble with his right hand when he makes to the NBA and is a bottom 5 player in the league.

Wood is helping lead a team in the West to the playoffs with a bionic John Wall and PJ Tucker.

What does Wood + Grant + Josh Jackson/Bey/Stewart/Seban Lee look like. Honestly that team could simply tank like GSW did last year with Curry having a hand injury that lasted an entire season. Shut Grant down with injured an toe. And still get a top 10 pick in the 2021 draft.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#355 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 5, 2021 7:37 pm

Hes gonna be out for a while with a ankle sprain. Now what will Detroit fans waste all their time talking about?

Bet Woods broken ankle gets more talks then a top3 pick still
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#356 » by Pharaoh » Fri Feb 5, 2021 10:48 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
vege wrote:

The entire narrative is: we must tank, the only way to do that is to play Wayne Ellington and Blake 30+ minutes a night and have Bey play 8 minutes or DNPs, so the team can get young guys, that we dont even play now. Oh and the guy we get is 100% going to be awesome. Or he might be Killian Hayes part II, or Darko.

If I could have Christian Wood on his contract, make it a 4 year deal. That is more valuable than most of the picks in the 2021 draft. Sure, every single one of those guys could be a be HoF players. Whats the chance of that?

Suggs looks great. Maybe he forgets how to dribble with his right hand when he makes to the NBA and is a bottom 5 player in the league.

Wood is helping lead a team in the West to the playoffs with a bionic John Wall and PJ Tucker.

What does Wood + Grant + Josh Jackson/Bey/Stewart/Seban Lee look like. Honestly that team could simply tank like GSW did last year with Curry having a hand injury that lasted an entire season. Shut Grant down with injured an toe. And still get a top 10 pick in the 2021 draft.

edmunder_prc wrote:
vege wrote:

What does Wood + Grant + Josh Jackson/Bey/Stewart/Seban Lee look like. Honestly that team could simply tank like GSW did last year with Curry having a hand injury that lasted an entire season. Shut Grant down with injured an toe. And still get a top 10 pick in the 2021 draft

Why would we shut down Grant or Wood?

I believe if they were both here we're easily a playoff team in the weak East.

Treadmill team unless Hayes or Bey or Sekou really develops but easily a 5-8 seed.

You don't tank from that spot unless injuries kinda of force your hand

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#357 » by vege » Fri Feb 5, 2021 11:02 pm

Snakebites wrote:
vege wrote:

Who’s saying that?

Not you, so don't worry. You said we couldn't keep Wood and have the worst record, you never said Weaver let him go because of that, you know Weaver is incompetent.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#358 » by DetroitSho » Fri Feb 5, 2021 11:55 pm

Manocad wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:The double talk from some people in this thread is getting absurd. He's potentially All NBA but still bad enough for us to get a top 3 pick. Just wtf.

Not to mention that regardless of what could or would have happened if Wood had stayed with the Pistons, no one really knows if he truly wanted to. It's not like he's going to go to the media and burn a bridge by saying "Detroit is a s**t show and no way did I want to wait out a rebuilding process when I had a good offer from a (supposedly) contending team."
Nobody wants to give credence to that though. These mf's are getting irritating with the cognitive dissonance. I'm probably not going to make it through the season with the bs.

Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#359 » by Piston Pete » Sat Feb 6, 2021 12:08 am

Crap, someone get that man a cookie!
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#360 » by Pharaoh » Sat Feb 6, 2021 12:15 am

Can someone explain to me how a fit and healthy combo of Wood & Grant isn't enough to lead us to the playoffs this season?

Both dudes have been doing exceptionally well in difficult situations.

It seems reasonable to assume that if they had each other out there we'd be right in the thick of the playoff race.

Return to Detroit Pistons