ImageImageImage

Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

User avatar
Jstock12
General Manager
Posts: 9,694
And1: 16,380
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#41 » by Jstock12 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 9:34 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:As a Sirvydis believer, I think Kyle Singler is a very optimistic comparison for Deividas. I'd be ecstatic if he ends up as Singler 2.0

Singler was only able to play 2 years as a guy who'd have been a 10th or 11th guy on a good team.

If you think that's on the optimistic end, then you aren't a believer.


At Sirvydis age, Singler was already a much more developed player with a better 3PT shot. He was a star at Duke. I really hope Sirvydis can have a similar career in the NBA, but I'm just not sure how likely that is. I think even becoming a solid Euroleague player would be a good outcome for him.
User avatar
Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,658
And1: 308
Joined: Jun 12, 2007
Location: Grand Rapids
       

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#42 » by Phobo_Phile » Wed Dec 2, 2020 9:42 pm

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand the Pistons’ offseason. The progress is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of salary cap management, most of the moves will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Gore's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his management style- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Ted Stepian literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these moves, to realise that they're not just signings and trades- they say something deep about roster construction. As a consequence people who dislike the Piston’s offseason truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the genius in Mason Plumlee's newest contract "3 years and 25 million" which itself is a cryptically positive addition due to Plumlee’s epic ability to run Pick and Rolls. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Troy Weaver's genius wit unfolds itself on the basketball courts. What fools.. how I pity them. :lol:

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Hooper tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 basketball IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 8-)
Invictus88
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,318
And1: 454
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#44 » by Invictus88 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 10:51 pm

Phobo_Phile wrote: I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion


Woah. Good word :D
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 13,629
And1: 3,500
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#45 » by Pharaoh » Wed Dec 2, 2020 11:01 pm

BJK1 wrote:https://www.detroitbadboys.com/platform/amp/2020/12/2/22080352/detroit-pistons-deividas-sirvydis-player-profile-2020?__twitter_impression=true
First sentence in the article

The Elephant in the Room!

All those clips are nice but the author isn't Zach Lowe! You could find all kinds of highlights and splice them to make a kid look good.

The one thing I didn't know and found

One season ago he hit 40% of his 12.3 3s attempted per game!

Forget the volume and percentage (even though that's impressive):

I was led to believe this kid has never been anything more than a bit player, doesn't show much and doesn't have much of a role

Getting to jack up 12 3s a game suggests he's a whole lot more than some random scrub we took only as a favour to Uncle Arn's kid.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
flow
Starter
Posts: 2,243
And1: 1,436
Joined: Feb 18, 2016

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#46 » by flow » Thu Dec 3, 2020 1:06 am

When you retain the trophy for 'most ridiculous team signing' even after LiAngelo Ball gets a contract, that's impressive.
flow
Starter
Posts: 2,243
And1: 1,436
Joined: Feb 18, 2016

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#47 » by flow » Thu Dec 3, 2020 1:21 am

Pharaoh wrote:
BJK1 wrote:https://www.detroitbadboys.com/platform/amp/2020/12/2/22080352/detroit-pistons-deividas-sirvydis-player-profile-2020?__twitter_impression=true
First sentence in the article

The Elephant in the Room!

All those clips are nice but the author isn't Zach Lowe! You could find all kinds of highlights and splice them to make a kid look good.

The one thing I didn't know and found

One season ago he hit 40% of his 12.3 3s attempted per game!

Forget the volume and percentage (even though that's impressive):

I was led to believe this kid has never been anything more than a bit player, doesn't show much and doesn't have much of a role

Getting to jack up 12 3s a game suggests he's a whole lot more than some random scrub we took only as a favour to Uncle Arn's kid.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app


That was while playing in a "second tier Lithuanian league."

Do you understand how low-level that is?

.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 30,722
And1: 17,746
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#48 » by MotownMadness » Thu Dec 3, 2020 1:28 am

I'll wait and see with him. I get the whole Tellem connection but he was definitely mocked in that area we drafted him multiple times whenever I would check the mock drafts so it's not like he wasn't getting noticed
SamFlow
Senior
Posts: 682
And1: 143
Joined: Feb 21, 2001
     

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#49 » by SamFlow » Thu Dec 3, 2020 4:02 am

jakebernat wrote:nobody’s talking about svi, could he be the odd man out? there was some interest in him at the deadline; sirvydis makes him kinda redundant.



Nobody on this lottery team is odd man out. Let's have these guys fight for playing time and see who earns a position in the starting lineup. And then let's see if THAT starting lineup is good enough to sneak into the playoffs. Otherwise, it's just a lottery team and nobody is the odd man out on a lottery team. they are ALL odd men out on a lottery team.
BigDaddyJungle
the_other_guy
Junior
Posts: 256
And1: 147
Joined: Jul 24, 2015
   

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#50 » by the_other_guy » Thu Dec 3, 2020 10:10 am

I mean, this kid is a wizard, well or his agent is. I am baffled and confused on how he is tricking everyone in believing, that he is a basketball player.
He was average, at best, in Lithuanian league. Nobody in Israel and yet gets a contract with an NBA team.
Magic.
User avatar
vege
RealGM
Posts: 15,284
And1: 1,623
Joined: Jul 18, 2008
Location: Fire Troy Weaver

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#51 » by vege » Thu Dec 3, 2020 12:04 pm

the_other_guy wrote:I mean, this kid is a wizard, well or his agent is. I am baffled and confused on how he is tricking everyone in believing, that he is a basketball player.
He was average, at best, in Lithuanian league. Nobody in Israel and yet gets a contract with an NBA team.
Magic.


His agent is the son of a minority owner of the team, who also has a lot of influence in our decisions. That's how he got drafted and got this contract.
BJK1
Junior
Posts: 487
And1: 206
Joined: Jun 23, 2019

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#52 » by BJK1 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:59 am

Read on Twitter
440BB
Junior
Posts: 450
And1: 286
Joined: Jul 13, 2017
     

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#53 » by 440BB » Tue Dec 8, 2020 11:17 am

With very little time for practices during the compressed season, he should have been here from day one. At least he won't take valuable time from teammates who'll actually play as they develop team chemistry. I wonder when this deal stops smelling bad.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,869
And1: 8,139
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#54 » by Manocad » Tue Dec 8, 2020 1:29 pm

Phobo_Phile wrote:To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand the Pistons’ offseason. The progress is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of salary cap management, most of the moves will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Gore's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his management style- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Ted Stepian literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these moves, to realise that they're not just signings and trades- they say something deep about roster construction. As a consequence people who dislike the Piston’s offseason truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the genius in Mason Plumlee's newest contract "3 years and 25 million" which itself is a cryptically positive addition due to Plumlee’s epic ability to run Pick and Rolls. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Troy Weaver's genius wit unfolds itself on the basketball courts. What fools.. how I pity them. :lol:

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Hooper tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 basketball IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 8-)

Wow, you reached down deep and pulled out "addlepated." How literary, if not apropos, of you.
Image
User avatar
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
Posts: 24,140
And1: 3,814
Joined: Jul 10, 2010

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#55 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Dec 9, 2020 1:49 am

Phobo’s post went over y’all’s head :lol:
User avatar
The Moose
Head Coach
Posts: 7,016
And1: 3,123
Joined: Apr 18, 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA
   

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#56 » by The Moose » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:31 am

so uh, wtf is the deal with this guy?

Why did we sign him and then act like hes not even on the team. Casey has never even mentioned his name
Luka Doncic and Cedi Osman Fan Club member
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 8,382
And1: 2,294
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#57 » by DBC10 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:22 am

The Moose wrote:so uh, wtf is the deal with this guy?

Why did we sign him and then act like hes not even on the team. Casey has never even mentioned his name


He probably has looked awful in team practices

Which really makes this organization look like a further joke by jumping through 2 hoops to try and draft him
DetroitDon15
General Manager
Posts: 8,038
And1: 221
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: Michigan
         

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#58 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:02 am

DBC10 wrote:
The Moose wrote:so uh, wtf is the deal with this guy?

Why did we sign him and then act like hes not even on the team. Casey has never even mentioned his name


He probably has looked awful in team practices

Which really makes this organization look like a further joke by jumping through 2 hoops to try and draft him


He needs to be in the G-League to be honest. He needs to develop and learn the game more. If he can’t get on the floor on this team, he must be really raw at this point by NBA standards.
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
Posts: 11,479
And1: 7,812
Joined: Jun 15, 2008
Location: France
Contact:
   

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#59 » by ducler » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:20 am

He was on the bench at Milwaukee, but Casey preferred to put McGruder in instead of him.

Sent from my STF-L09 using RealGM mobile app
Image
JustinSane
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,282
And1: 57
Joined: Feb 05, 2004

Re: Sirvydis signs 3 yr deal with Pistons 

Post#60 » by JustinSane » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:23 am

Phobo_Phile wrote:To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand the Pistons’ offseason. The progress is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of salary cap management, most of the moves will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Gore's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his management style- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Ted Stepian literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these moves, to realise that they're not just signings and trades- they say something deep about roster construction. As a consequence people who dislike the Piston’s offseason truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the genius in Mason Plumlee's newest contract "3 years and 25 million" which itself is a cryptically positive addition due to Plumlee’s epic ability to run Pick and Rolls. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Troy Weaver's genius wit unfolds itself on the basketball courts. What fools.. how I pity them. :lol:

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Hooper tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 basketball IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 8-)


I'm sorry this went unappreciated, but it was a masterful variation on the copypasta. Well done.

More on topic, I think it's fairly clear that this pick was at least partially due to nepotism. Obviously, I think it would be better if the team could retain Arn Tellem's services and goodwill without doing his son a costly favor. Is Tellem worth it anyway? I'm not sure. I could buy that he is - the man is ferociously well connected.

Return to Detroit Pistons