ImageImageImage

Around the League

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,050

Re: Around the League 

Post#1081 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 2, 2023 1:28 am

flow wrote:The Pacers won 9 of 11 prior to Haliburton getting hurt. And then went 1-9 without him. That's impact.

Yup, he's really really good. Would have been worth trading just about anything we had but in reality Sacramento wanted someone who was already an all-star in Sabonis.

Hayes over Haliburton is going to be just as big of a miss if not bigger than Kennard over Booker and Stanley Johnson over D Mitchell.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#1082 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 2, 2023 2:55 am

bstein14 wrote:
flow wrote:The Pacers won 9 of 11 prior to Haliburton getting hurt. And then went 1-9 without him. That's impact.

Yup, he's really really good. Would have been worth trading just about anything we had but in reality Sacramento wanted someone who was already an all-star in Sabonis.

Hayes over Haliburton is going to be just as big of a miss if not bigger than Kennard over Booker and Stanley Johnson over D Mitchell.
I mean both the guys you mentioned are all-stars, bordering on superstars. Lets see if Haliburton ever gets to those levels before we go there.

In any event, watching the Rockets against OKC and man the Rockets need a PG in the worst possible way. No reason their GM hasn't gone out and grabbed anyone to run that team, so the tanking is painfully obvious.

Thought the NBA was going to be looking more closely at that this year?

:lol:
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#1083 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Feb 2, 2023 3:04 am

bstein14 wrote:

Weavers drafting hasnt been good at all. I feel like fans including myself up until a quarter of the way through this season were way overrating it. Now were in the 3rd year of his first class we can rate his drafting better. Alot of people give him credit for pulling 3 bench guys in his first class because "most picks dont even stay around the league" sorry we missed all kinds of great talent these bench guys end up overpays on 2nd contracts.

I firmly believe if you put up Weaver to the average realGM Pistons fan with the same draft capital we all come out equal and some better then him. Not saying I would of took Hali over Kill but some would of and those some dont get paid like Weaver. Givony had us taking Hali and Sam V had Hali over Kill on his big board.

Speculation here but I think Weaver takes Bagley over Luka. Look at how hard he went after him on the trade market. Then he snap overpaid him when no one was even bidding. Locked him in 3 years. Remember Bagley was a 2 pick and Luka was traded from 3 plenty of teams were very high on Bagley and by the way Weaver kept trying to get him it tells me he would of been one of those teams.

Also Weavers guy that first draft was P.Williams. Rumors were he promised to take him. Even some rumors at the time we were gonna trade up to secure him. It wasnt like Weaver was aiming for Melo his top guy was Pat Williams.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/11/10/rumor-pistons-promised-to-draft-patrick-williams-no-7/
bstein14
RealGM

Post#1084 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 2, 2023 3:08 am

I would say a rumor is just a rumor could be a smokescreen... BUT... there was also a rumor last draft that Weaver was trying to trade into the lottery to grab Duren and then it happened so hard to say if Williams was really the target or not. The Bulls certainly took him before most people thought he would be drafted.

If Williams was taken at #7 in 2020, the draft could have looked entirely different for us. We likely still would have taken Stewart at #16 because he was a clear Weaver target.... but Bey likely wouldn't have also been taken with Williams being our first pick so we likely would have went guard at #19 instead. Certainly would be interesting. Also would be interesting to know what Weaver's plan was if Ivey was taken by Sacramento this year... would we have Murray, Mathurin, or someone else entirely.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#1085 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Feb 2, 2023 3:21 am

bstein14 wrote:I would say a rumor is just a rumor could be a smokescreen... BUT... there was also a rumor last draft that Weaver was trying to trade into the lottery to grab Duren and then it happened so hard to say if Williams was really the target or not. The Bulls certainly took him before most people thought he would be drafted.

If Williams was taken at #7 in 2020, the draft could have looked entirely different for us. We likely still would have taken Stewart at #16 because he was a clear Weaver target.... but Bey likely wouldn't have also been taken with Williams being our first pick so we likely would have went guard at #19 instead. Certainly would be interesting. Also would be interesting to know what Weaver's plan was if Ivey was taken by Sacramento this year... would we have Murray, Mathurin, or someone else entirely.

Some rumors are complete BS esp from certain reporters. Teams can put out fake ones to drive up the price on something. That said teams also leak real rumors to reporters in a kind of you scratch my back I scratch yours relationship. Other teams in trade talks with a team can try to sabotage another team if their playing hard ball lots of meta games played by NBA GMs.

Look at the Grant situation last year. We were told all year we were looking to move Grant to a spot he wanted to go and the Blazers were very likely. Turned out we got a weak return to move Grant where he wanted to go.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#1086 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 2, 2023 3:26 am

Rockets beats OKC, so the Pistons are now the worst team is basketball. San Antonio lost so no help there.

Tomorrow the Hornets face the Bulls in Chicago.

Current tank standings;

1. Detroit Pistons 13-39
2. Houston Rockets 13-38
3. San Antonio 14-37
4. Hornets 15-37

5. Magic 20-32
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#1087 » by flow » Thu Feb 2, 2023 7:32 am

zeebneeb wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

I mean both the guys you mentioned are all-stars, bordering on superstars. Lets see if Haliburton ever gets to those levels before we go there.

As for becoming an all-star, that'll happen in about 17 hours.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#1088 » by Pharaoh » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:41 am

flow wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Yup, he's really really good. Would have been worth trading just about anything we had but in reality Sacramento wanted someone who was already an all-star in Sabonis.

And it's official: Hali is a All Star.

No Harden, Siakim, Brunson, Allen/Mobley/Garland or Trae (lol)

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#1089 » by zeebneeb » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:45 am

Pharaoh wrote:
flow wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I mean both the guys you mentioned are all-stars, bordering on superstars. Lets see if Haliburton ever gets to those levels before we go there.

And it's official: Hali is a All Star.

No Harden, Siakim, Brunson, Allen/Mobley/Garland or Trae (lol)

That trade is a rare example of it working beautifully for both teams. In one of the rare times I was correct,(very rare)I said it would work out for Sacramento.

In any event, I love that Young didn't make it. Tiny, midget PG players, never win anything unless they've got the attitude of a psycho like Thomas.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#1090 » by bstein14 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:39 am

I actually though Haliburton was an all-star lock 10 games about but after he got injured and they dropped from like 5th/6th down to 11th I thought he was going to get overlooked. A little surprised he made it after that slide the team has taken.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#1091 » by Pharaoh » Fri Feb 3, 2023 6:37 am

bstein14 wrote:I actually though Haliburton was an all-star lock 10 games about but after he got injured and they dropped from like 5th/6th down to 11th I thought he was going to get overlooked. A little surprised he made it after that slide the team has taken.
Isn't their slide further proof of his value and wouldn't that help his case more than hurt it?

MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 474

Post#1092 » by MortSahlfan » Fri Feb 3, 2023 12:19 pm

He's a very deserving all-star. 20-10, never seems to make mistakes, plays great defense, good guy, teammate, leader. I see why they traded Sabonis.
breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 303

Post#1093 » by breezypeezy » Sun Feb 5, 2023 9:11 pm

Kyrie to Doncic
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,689

Post#1094 » by Cowology » Sun Feb 5, 2023 10:01 pm

breezypeezy wrote:Kyrie to Doncic

Yeah, looks like Dinwiddie, DFS and picks.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#1095 » by DBC10 » Sun Feb 5, 2023 10:23 pm

Cowology wrote:

Sure hope the Mavs are ready for the complete ****show experience that Kyrie offers. Very little reasons you believe why he would suddenly be normal now

An anti vaxx, antisemitic, weirdo that happens to be elite at certain basketball skills
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#1096 » by chrbal » Sun Feb 5, 2023 10:43 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Cowology wrote:

Sure hope the Mavs are ready for the complete ****show experience that Kyrie offers. Very little reasons you believe why he would suddenly be normal now

An anti vaxx, antisemitic, weirdo that happens to be elite at certain basketball skills

His ego to prove the Nets wrong, but more importantly money. He’ll suddenly be focused on basketball for the remainder of this season and playoffs.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,689

Post#1097 » by Cowology » Mon Feb 6, 2023 12:57 am

What gets me is how quickly that trade went down.

"Mark, call your top 3 teams and tell them they have 24 hrs to make their best offer. Then move the **** on from this ass clown."

I know they wanted time to be able to flip those picks for on-court help too, but they could have worked that all into a bigger 3 or 4 team trade. They didn't *have* to move this quickly. They wanted to.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#1098 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon Feb 6, 2023 3:14 am

Feel kind of bad for the Nets that Kyrie tanked his value like that. Not much of a package back for a "superstar" talent. But obviously not a very reliable superstar either.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#1099 » by bstein14 » Mon Feb 6, 2023 3:23 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Feel kind of bad for the Nets that Kyrie tanked his value like that. Not much of a package back for a "superstar" talent. But obviously not a very reliable superstar either.

His value was higher now than 2 months ago.
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#1100 » by SuperBad » Mon Feb 6, 2023 3:25 am

I think he needs to bring a championship in, or I think the league should be done with him, I’d try to pay him massively on bonus structure, that’s the only way. I don’t think he really is interested in playing beyond this season much, he’s trying to get a pay out before he starts trying to be VP for Kanye.

Return to Detroit Pistons