Around the League

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,689

Re: Around the League 

Post#441 » by Cowology » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:37 pm

A little surprised to see Philly include 2 firsts for Harden, but a pretty big upgrade over the nothing that Simmons was giving them.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#442 » by 440BB » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:49 pm

Embiid now only has Bassey as his backup, giving him an even bigger workload without Drummond. The Sixers need a backup center ASAP.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,789

Post#443 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:51 pm

Cowology wrote:A little surprised to see Philly include 2 firsts for Harden, but a pretty big upgrade over the nothing that Simmons was giving them.

It's an "all in" move, which to me feels appropriate given Embiid's play and short window, and how good the team was before adding Harden.

For the Nets it's a partial retreat. They recoup some of the draft capital they gave up to add Harden in the first place, and Simmons theorhetically fits their team (though who knows how he handles New York scrutiny...yikes). But it sure beats losing Harden in the offseason.

I view it as a risk for both sides, but a necessary one given the situations the teams were in.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#444 » by Cowology » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:56 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Cowology wrote:A little surprised to see Philly include 2 firsts for Harden, but a pretty big upgrade over the nothing that Simmons was giving them.

It's an "all in" move, which to me feels appropriate given Embiid's play and short window, and how good the team was before adding Harden.

For the Nets it's a partial retreat. They recoup some of the draft capital they gave up to add Harden in the first place, and Simmons theorhetically fits their team (though who knows how he handles New York scrutiny...yikes). But it sure beats losing Harden in the offseason.

I view it as a risk for both sides, but a necessary one given the situations the teams were in.
Given they already have Durant & Irving it's entirely possible Simmons is a better fit and they added a bit more depth with Curry & Drummond; both guys capable of being solid role players. Some of the value is delayed, but on the court I think they improved too.

Kinda weird to say, but this looks like a win for both teams. Of course Irving being part-time is still a MAJOR issue.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#445 » by DBC10 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:17 pm

Let's take a second to notice the audacity of Morey to be unrelenting and not trade Simmons for whatever value he could get. Morey had almost no leverage to start and somehow landed with Harden

That is impressive front office work
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#446 » by Cowology » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:08 pm

I really hope Portland trades Dame to a contender in the off-season.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#447 » by dVs33 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:36 pm

440BB wrote:Embiid now only has Bassey as his backup, giving him an even bigger workload without Drummond. The Sixers need a backup center ASAP.

They’ll be able to pick up Kanter or someone similar.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#448 » by dVs33 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:37 pm

Cowology wrote:I really hope Portland trades Dame to a contender in the off-season.

I was hoping he would go to Philly before the harden trade.
It looks like Portland will try to sign some FAs and run with dame again. Can’t see that working out though
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#449 » by Cowology » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:01 am

It was pretty funny watching Harden get drafted last for the All-Star game. LeBron trying to keep a straight face was great. It's no secret I dislike the guy, but from an entertainment perspective at least he has some personality. KD was boring as hell. He looked like he did not want to be there at all.

Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#450 » by Liqourish » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:53 pm

DBC10 wrote:Let's take a second to notice the audacity of Morey to be unrelenting and not trade Simmons for whatever value he could get. Morey had almost no leverage to start and somehow landed with Harden

Can't tell if sarcasm...
DBC10
General Manager

Post#451 » by DBC10 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:07 pm

Liqourish wrote:
DBC10 wrote:Let's take a second to notice the audacity of Morey to be unrelenting and not trade Simmons for whatever value he could get. Morey had almost no leverage to start and somehow landed with Harden

Can't tell if sarcasm...

It's not. I'm referencing all the pundits and even FO execs saying that he needed to take the Buddy/Barnes package from Sac or the Murray/Poeltl package from SAN, or even the Sabonis Simmons swap. The prevailing theme was, don't waste Embiid's prime and just get 80 cents on the dollar over a distressed asset in Simmons

He had little to no leverage at all both in Ben being a petty diva of refusing to play because he felt bad which has never happened before and his contract being massive as it is

If you're Morey, you're taking a victory lap because you turned Simmons into Harden
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#452 » by Liqourish » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:09 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Liqourish wrote:

Can't tell if sarcasm...

It's not. I'm referencing all the pundits and even FO execs saying that he needed to take the Buddy/Barnes package from Sac or the Murray/Poeltl package from SAN, or even the Sabonis Simmons swap. The prevailing theme was, don't waste Embiid's prime and just get 80 cents on the dollar over a distressed asset in Simmons

He had little to no leverage at all both in Ben being a petty diva of refusing to play because he felt bad which has never happened before and his contract being massive as it is

If you're Morey, you're taking a victory lap because you turned Simmons into Harden

Ahh, you think this was a victory. Got it. I disagree, but I understand.
coolness
Analyst
And1: 303

Post#453 » by coolness » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:10 pm

Toronto traded their 2022 1st to SAS for Thad Young and a 2nd.

But I'm a bad man for offering even better for that Tor 1st in T&T Board.

Thad is not a good player anymore.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#454 » by Pharaoh » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:46 pm

Cowology wrote:It was pretty funny watching Harden get drafted last for the All-Star game. LeBron trying to keep a straight face was great. It's no secret I dislike the guy, but from an entertainment perspective at least he has some personality. KD was boring as hell. He looked like he did not want to be there at all.

That's absolute comedy gold

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,054

Post#455 » by bstein14 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:25 am

I would have traded Grant for Toronto's 1st and a future 2nd and the expiring contract of Dragic. I know Casey wouldn't have been happy to give up Grant to the franchise he hates, but overall that would have been a good trade to get assets to move forward with the rebuild. Plus the extra $20 million in cap space would have been huge for us. They may not have wanted Grant because he doesn't fit with Pascal and Barnes as well because someone needs to come off the bench out of that group and Grant wouldn't have been happy being that guy... but Grant would have been a better player than Thad for sure.

Thad is 33 years old its kind of crazy a young up and coming team like Toronto gave away a first round pick for him.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#456 » by Pharaoh » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:40 pm

bstein14 wrote:I would have traded Grant for Toronto's 1st and a future 2nd and the expiring contract of Dragic. I know Casey wouldn't have been happy to give up Grant to the franchise he hates, but overall that would have been a good trade to get assets to move forward with the rebuild. Plus the extra $20 million in cap space would have been huge for us. They may not have wanted Grant because he doesn't fit with Pascal and Barnes as well because someone needs to come off the bench out of that group and Grant wouldn't have been happy being that guy... but Grant would have been a better player than Thad for sure.

Thad is 33 years old its kind of crazy a young up and coming team like Toronto gave away a first round pick for him.
Might be a case where both organisations did a favour to respected vets

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,789

Post#457 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:26 pm

Okay, I’m coming around to the idea that trading Hali was a huge mistake.

And no, not simply because of a couple of games.

Not sure Sabonis (even if he plays well) even gets that Sacto team to the play-in.

Coup trade for Indiana.
DBC10
General Manager

Post#458 » by DBC10 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:30 pm

Snakebites wrote:Okay, I’m coming around to the idea that trading Hali was a huge mistake.

Not sure Sabonis (even if he plays well) even gets that Sacto team to the play-in.

Coup trade for Indiana.

It's the Kings, huge mistake is part for the course for that ownership group

Besides my bias for Hali since he was my top choice instead of Hayes, it really is looking like a mistake. Hali is putting up star level numbers already. 22 pts, 16 assists with good defense and offense is pretty eye-popping without even a training camp and chemistry be damned

Might be one of those trades where Hali needed to go elsewhere to shine even more ala James Harden trade from OKC
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#459 » by chrbal » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:42 pm

Snakebites wrote:Okay, I’m coming around to the idea that trading Hali was a huge mistake.

Coup trade for Indiana.

I pretty much assume the kings really have no idea what they are doing. This deadline last season was odd at best. Plus two seconds and Joseph to get wright. Only to trade him the following season.

They are like the 3rd worst in the west and they traded an upcoming young guard to make a splash move to get into the play in tournament? It makes no sense.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#460 » by chrbal » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:28 am

Say you’re not planning on having a good postseason without saying you’re not planning on having a good postseason

Kristian Winfield #NFTAllStar@KrisplashedSteve Nash says the Nets need Andre Drummond to improve his conditioning because they want him to play a significant role at the center position.6:12 PM · Feb 16, 2022 from Manhattan, NY·Twitter for iPhone

Return to Detroit Pistons