ImageImageImage

Trade for starting Center?

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

DET_Athletics
Senior
Posts: 598
And1: 103
Joined: Dec 17, 2014
       

Trade for starting Center? 

Post#1 » by DET_Athletics » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:44 pm

I think our starting Center of the future is on another team already. Would you make a trade for Jarret Allen or Mo Bamba by the trade deadline and how much would you be willing to give up?

Personally I would target Bamba, I am a fan of his reach and think he would be the perfect anchor for our future defense, but the cost might be too high.

Allen might be the best value to trade for. Brooklyn doesn't have the money to extend him. A package built around Plumlee, that way they get a backup center to fill the hole.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
BDM22
General Manager
Posts: 8,862
And1: 1,781
Joined: Feb 26, 2005

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#2 » by BDM22 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:53 pm

I would just play Stewart and see what he can do. We traded a first round pick and a second round pick for him so I would hope they see him as an impact player.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
Posts: 8,038
And1: 221
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: Michigan
         

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#3 » by DetroitDon15 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:01 am

BDM22 wrote:I would just play Stewart and see what he can do. We traded a first round pick and a second round pick for him so I would hope they see him as an impact player.


Plumlee will eat all or most of the starters minutes. We traded and drafted Stewart to ride the bench. Just doesn’t make any sense.
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
buzzkilloton
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,750
And1: 741
Joined: Feb 20, 2017
 

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#4 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:02 am

Nope not trading for a center. You can win without a good center in todays NBA. Hopefully Stewert gets some run and is the rim protector we need.
Miss you C.Wood
DET_Athletics
Senior
Posts: 598
And1: 103
Joined: Dec 17, 2014
       

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#5 » by DET_Athletics » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:37 am

To be a great team you need rim protection on the floor at all time or lights out shooting. Allen has been a great time protector and has quitely had an outside shot. I think he could be a great for us without breaking the bank.
buzzkilloton wrote:Nope not trading for a center. You can win without a good center in todays NBA. Hopefully Stewert gets some run and is the rim protector we need.


Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
DET_Athletics
Senior
Posts: 598
And1: 103
Joined: Dec 17, 2014
       

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#6 » by DET_Athletics » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:41 am

You don't draft a guy in the teens and expect him to be a starter in the first 2 years. I expect him to learn the game/speed in the pros year 1. Work on his body and earn a backup spot in year 2 and continue to grow from there. Only a handleful of players from every draft make a true impact their first 2 years.
DetroitDon15 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:I would just play Stewart and see what he can do. We traded a first round pick and a second round pick for him so I would hope they see him as an impact player.


Plumlee will eat all or most of the starters minutes. We traded and drafted Stewart to ride the bench. Just doesn’t make any sense.


Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
DET_Athletics
Senior
Posts: 598
And1: 103
Joined: Dec 17, 2014
       

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#7 » by DET_Athletics » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:44 am

I agree in playing him, but I just don't see him matching up very well against length. I think he is going to be very productive but I don't see him mathcing up, stopping or slowing down longer skilled bigs.
BDM22 wrote:I would just play Stewart and see what he can do. We traded a first round pick and a second round pick for him so I would hope they see him as an impact player.


Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
mattao313
Head Coach
Posts: 6,018
And1: 2,870
Joined: Aug 29, 2014
       

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#8 » by mattao313 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:47 am

I wouldnt mind getting Bamba but wouldnt trade a 1st for him
Championships
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,874
And1: 8,141
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#9 » by Manocad » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:50 am

Waaaaaaay too early in the rebuild to be targeting players in free agency/trades. Just my opinion.
Image
tmorgan
General Manager
Posts: 8,446
And1: 3,546
Joined: Feb 04, 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
   

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#10 » by tmorgan » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:17 am

They ain't sayin it out loud, but...

We. Are. Trying. To. Lose. Games. And develop rookies and younger vets for value. We don't want to totally embarrass ourselves, so we have some decent vets, but we need to lose. I believe (or maybe hope) Weaver knows this.

We don't want to get better via trades or FA. Not right now.
User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 11,335
And1: 4,376
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#11 » by zeebneeb » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:28 am

Manocad wrote:Waaaaaaay too early in the rebuild to be targeting players in free agency/trades. Just my opinion.
It's not an opinion when it's truth.

If this current team starts making trades to improve ahead of the upcoming draft, which is by all accounts one of the best in a decade, all hope is lost.

The treadmill will continue indefinitely unless one of the current rookies becomes Luka Donic, or LeBron James.

I fully expect there to be trades this year, but its going to be for horrible contracts, with big fat juicy 1st rounders attached.
Crymson
Pro Prospect
Posts: 782
And1: 304
Joined: Apr 17, 2016

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#12 » by Crymson » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:41 am

DET_Athletics wrote:I think our starting Center of the future is on another team already. Would you make a trade for Jarret Allen or Mo Bamba by the trade deadline and how much would you be willing to give up?

Personally I would target Bamba, I am a fan of his reach and think he would be the perfect anchor for our future defense, but the cost might be too high.

Allen might be the best value to trade for. Brooklyn doesn't have the money to extend him. A package built around Plumlee, that way they get a backup center to fill the hole.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app


If Orlando would care to pony up Bamba for peanuts, sure! Sign me up. If it's anything that would require an expenditure of assets on any sort of significant scale, no. This team is in season one of a rebuild. Acquiring the starting center of the future is not a pressing priority.
BDM22
General Manager
Posts: 8,862
And1: 1,781
Joined: Feb 26, 2005

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#13 » by BDM22 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:18 am

DET_Athletics wrote:You don't draft a guy in the teens and expect him to be a starter in the first 2 years. I expect him to learn the game/speed in the pros year 1. Work on his body and earn a backup spot in year 2 and continue to grow from there. Only a handleful of players from every draft make a true impact their first 2 years.
DetroitDon15 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:I would just play Stewart and see what he can do. We traded a first round pick and a second round pick for him so I would hope they see him as an impact player.


Plumlee will eat all or most of the starters minutes. We traded and drafted Stewart to ride the bench. Just doesn’t make any sense.


Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

So, Stewart could be ready in a year or two, but you're going to trade for a "Center of the future" now?

Since we're not trying to win now, I don't understand why we need anything more than stop-gaps. If anything, the mistake we made was spending too much money on the wrong guys for that job with Plumlee and Okafor.
Billl
Veteran
Posts: 2,806
And1: 1,186
Joined: Sep 06, 2013

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#14 » by Billl » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:11 pm

If some team is just giving away young centers with upside... sure. Giving up assets for a center? Nope.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 36,659
And1: 7,078
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#15 » by Snakebites » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:36 pm

tmorgan wrote:They ain't sayin it out loud, but...

We. Are. Trying. To. Lose. Games. And develop rookies and younger vets for value. We don't want to totally embarrass ourselves, so we have some decent vets, but we need to lose. I believe (or maybe hope) Weaver knows this.

We don't want to get better via trades or FA. Not right now.

Then why did 3 rookies get DNP in game 1? Why did we start 3 newly acquired veterans?

And why the free agency moves?

I believe losses will be the result of all of this, but why go for an expensive tank when a moderately cheaper one was an option?

I certainly hope we don’t go for trades, but I don’t think you can look at these moves and say we’re trying to lose.
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 8,383
And1: 2,294
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#16 » by DBC10 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:56 pm

Snakebites wrote:
tmorgan wrote:They ain't sayin it out loud, but...

We. Are. Trying. To. Lose. Games. And develop rookies and younger vets for value. We don't want to totally embarrass ourselves, so we have some decent vets, but we need to lose. I believe (or maybe hope) Weaver knows this.

We don't want to get better via trades or FA. Not right now.

Then why did 3 rookies get DNP in game 1? Why did we start 3 newly acquired veterans?

And why the free agency moves?

I believe losses will be the result of all of this, but why go for an expensive tank when a moderately cheaper one was an option?

I certainly hope we don’t go for trades, but I don’t think you can look at these moves and say we’re trying to lose.


I think in some deluded world, Weaver likely thought that he needed these vets on slightly overpaid contracts so that they can raise value and be used as trade chips down the line. Especially contracts like Josh Jackson, Plumlee if he continues to play good, and even Grant if he maintains a steady 37%+ from 3 this season. Even fringe bench fodder like Ellington and Wright can be sold as part of a package deal towards the trade deadline if we showcase them well. We legitimately did not have any great trade-able assets when Weaver came and one way to maneuver for future assets is to lock up some vets and hope for the best at the trade deadline

Or at least that's my hope. Otherwise, I'll maintain my stance that Weaver kind of went crazy when Free agency opened.
tmorgan
General Manager
Posts: 8,446
And1: 3,546
Joined: Feb 04, 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
   

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#17 » by tmorgan » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:20 pm

Maybe the rookies didn’t play because they haven’t earned it? I don’t know. I’m not trying to pretend all of this makes sense to me.

I did think Bey would be in the rotation and I’m surprised he is not. Not particularly surprised, but a little disappointed, Stewart got no run. Okafor does help us lose, tho.
Moses ShamMoses
Veteran
Posts: 2,584
And1: 919
Joined: Nov 28, 2012

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#18 » by Moses ShamMoses » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:35 pm

How are we going to acquire a starting center without giving up draft picks, young players, or taking on bad contracts? We shouldn't be doing any of those things at this point.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
JohnReese
Junior
Posts: 482
And1: 239
Joined: Feb 15, 2016
   

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#19 » by JohnReese » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:06 am

Turner in exchange of Grant would be nice for us and Grant would make a lot of sense in Indiana. But for it, Grant should look good with us.
bjones521
Junior
Posts: 393
And1: 178
Joined: Jun 28, 2015
     

Re: Trade for starting Center? 

Post#20 » by bjones521 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:08 pm

How about we keep the team as is and go 9-28 for the first half of the season. Looking at the schedule I dont see more than 10 wins. Reason why the over under for the season is 23. We get a top 5 pick and pick Cade Cunningham. We need to be bad this year and next year and hopefully develop the youth.

Return to Detroit Pistons