Come up with a Blake trade!

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Re: Come up with a Blake trade! 

Post#141 » by MotownMadness » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 pm

NYPiston wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Feels like a mutual agreement for him to just sit out while we play the youth. A buyout or trade are pretty unlikely at the moment

It sounds more like a mutual agreement to move on which means he'll be moved in some capacity so it looks like he's gone either way.
I'm not sure what the buyout details of his contract are and how much the Pistons will be on the hook for and how long but it seems like the most likely path here.

Hey if Gores wants to pay for a buyout then that's great but that's alot of money. Maybe sit him this year while looking for a trade and then buy him out in the offseason when he has 1 year left?
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,282

Post#142 » by NYPiston » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 pm

440BB wrote:I don't see the Pistons moving Wright at this point, as we are so thin at the point that it would leave us a mess on offense, bad for development. I also think they consider him part of the core veteran group brought in to set the tone and mentor the youngsters.

I don't see them moving him especially with Hayes still a ways away but it would be the smart move. He's playing his best ball and fairly cheap contract for another year so I'd imagine he would have some value around the league. I wouldn't just give him away but if a team offers a late 1st, they'd have to jump on that.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,282

Post#143 » by NYPiston » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:56 pm

MotownMadness wrote: Hey if Gores wants to pay for a buyout then that's great but that's alot of money. Maybe sit him this year while looking for a trade and then buy him out in the offseason when he has 1 year left?

The tone of the rumors sound like it will be an imminent parting of the ways so I don't see it being a matter of him just sitting out here for the rest of the season. It seems like he wants to play for a winner and the Pistons are willing to grant his wish.
Betarayjigs
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#144 » by Betarayjigs » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:18 pm

I got to give it up to Weaver, I like most of what(but not all, I’m looking at you Okafor) he has done and he has been relentless about moving on from the Van Grundy/Stefanski desperation trades and signings.

I hope he can do it, I think if they can buy him out for just this years cost and get next years salary removed they come out ahead. He’s like Rose, nice memories but a net negative player at this point, maybe he would help a lakers or a clippers or nets in spot minutes potentially but he’s just a drag on Piston development.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#145 » by ByeByeDre » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:21 pm

The crap part for Detroit is that a buyout kills flexibility. And the Pistons, with all these signings, don’t have much flexibility to begin with.

The odds of Detroit trading Blake without attaching assets are next to none. And thinking this through a little further - who pulls this crap with two years left on his deal? Hey Blake - honor your contract. Want to get out of Detroit? Walk away from next year’s option. Because a five or ten million dollar reduction does nothing - it just adds more dead money that you can’t trade.......
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,860

Post#146 » by theBigLip » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:30 pm

He better be willing to take a huge cut in his salary if he wants to go play for a championship. We should NOT add any assets to trade him. Just let him sit out the rest of his contract until he gets desperate or he doesn't have significant negative value. Unfortunately, that will not happen until NEXT year's trade deadline.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#147 » by kpt » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:35 pm

Logically the only trade that will happen is a player with an equally or worse bad contract. The only one that I can think of is Horford because it is a year longer yet why would the full on rebuilding OKC do that? Sure they are exceding expectations with their record yet I dont think pistons would do that and I dont think I would do that if I were OKC
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#148 » by pistonpat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:43 pm

No one is trading for that contract and performance. Blake will also want to play for a contender at this stage, not OKC or some of the other trades I seen in the past. The best solution for both sides is the Piston buy out his full salary this year and let him go choose his team. In return, Blake foregoes his player option for next year. This frees up another $30M for next year...Would Blake walk away from all that money ( because any team he goes to will not give him anything close to it next year), that is the big question...
tradez401
Starter
And1: 621

Post#149 » by tradez401 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:48 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Blake for Drummond/filler?

Then flip Drummond for a pick

:lol:
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#150 » by kpt » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:48 pm

pistonpat wrote:No one is trading for that contract and performance. Blake will also want to play for a contender at this stage, not OKC or some of the other trades I seen in the past. The best solution for both sides is the Piston buy out his full salary this year and let him go choose his team. In return, Blake foregoes his player option for next year. This frees up another $30M for next year...Would Blake walk away from all that money ( because any team he goes to will not give him anything close to it next year), that is the big question...

Totally agree on all of that. Blake would be stupid to walk away from that money. And Pistons would be stupid to do anything more. I just dont see this thing happening in any way.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#151 » by Piston Pete » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:50 pm

Depends on how bad Blake wants out and/or wants to go to a winner.

Yes, doubtful either side gets what they want out of this
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#152 » by 440BB » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:52 pm

I don't think we'd see this announcement unless something is in the works. The Rose trade was done quickly after he sat out. I expect a buyout within a week.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,570

Post#153 » by Pharaoh » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:54 pm

Assuming Blake takes a buyout does that mean he's off the books completely this off-season?

That's a lot of cap flexibility opened up a year early, especially considering the play of JJ & Wright.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,804

Post#154 » by DBC10 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:57 pm

Read on Twitter

So let's put to bed on any buyout speculations for the short term. This seems like a huge feat barring BG's desperation to chase a ring and forgoing significant chunk of the easiest 30+ million he'll ever see in his life
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#155 » by flow » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:05 pm

NYPiston wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: Hey if Gores wants to pay for a buyout then that's great but that's alot of money. Maybe sit him this year while looking for a trade and then buy him out in the offseason when he has 1 year left?

The tone of the rumors sound like it will be an imminent parting of the ways so I don't see it being a matter of him just sitting out here for the rest of the season. It seems like he wants to play for a winner and the Pistons are willing to grant his wish.

They're willing to try. They're not going to do anything stupid just to make Blake happy. (better not, anyway). And they're not going to buy him out, if at all, until after the trade deadline, which is still over a month away.

BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#156 » by BJK1 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:16 pm

Read on Twitter
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,618

Post#157 » by pistonsbball » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:19 pm

Blake must already have something in place with a contender, I doubt something like this comes out otherwise. Respect if he's gonna give up $ for a shot at a ring.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#158 » by 440BB » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:20 pm

BJK1 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sweet music right there.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,992

Post#159 » by zeebneeb » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:27 pm

Smell that people? Smells like desperation to me. Perhaps, just perhaps I wasn't so wrong in that regard. This is all too sudden for it to be done like this, without a plan in place.

Who is going to be the lucky lady is all we need to find out now...
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#160 » by chrbal » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:33 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Smell that people? Smells like desperation to me. Perhaps, just perhaps I wasn't so wrong in that regard. This is all too sudden for it to be done like this, without a plan in place.

Who is going to be the lucky lady is all we need to find out now...

Whose desperation?

Return to Detroit Pistons