ImageImageImage

Come up with a Blake trade!

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,773

Re: Come up with a Blake trade! 

Post#81 » by zeebneeb » Sun Feb 7, 2021 11:25 pm

Why is everyone poo-pooing a potential Blake trade? There are a bunch of teams that need a piece, and around the deadline, the more the teams are bunched up in the standings, the better the odds some team goes all in. Blake is the biggest "If he is healthy" asset in the league for a contending team.

He can absolutely tip the balance if used properly, and even if he is cooked(I don't think he is personally),some team is going to be desperate enough.

I would be elated to get a first, and returning junk for him, and I think its possible for a bunch of teams out there. He also is a next year expiring, so moving him next year if he doesn't pan out will be easy, or use his expiring salary to get a big signing.

Blake has value, patience is the key here.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#82 » by NYPiston » Sun Feb 7, 2021 11:33 pm

A 1st? Dude...
Blake has negative value. The Pistons would have to take back an equally bad contract or attach a pick to rid of him. Drummond (same situation with the expensive opt in clause) returned nothing of value and he was a far better, younger player last season. The Pistons just have to hope that he's so sick of this situation that he'll opt out and take less money to play with a winning team or retire.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#83 » by DBC10 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 1:27 am

zeebneeb wrote:Why is everyone poo-pooing a potential Blake trade? There are a bunch of teams that need a piece, and around the deadline, the more the teams are bunched up in the standings, the better the odds some team goes all in. Blake is the biggest "If he is healthy" asset in the league for a contending team.

He can absolutely tip the balance if used properly, and even if he is cooked(I don't think he is personally),some team is going to be desperate enough.

I would be elated to get a first, and returning junk for him, and I think its possible for a bunch of teams out there. He also is a next year expiring, so moving him next year if he doesn't pan out will be easy, or use his expiring salary to get a big signing.

He's making 36 million this year and 38 the next...

Naming 3 teams that can easily just fit in that contract let alone giving them up a 1st would be extremely difficult. Like, almost it never happens type of difficulty
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#84 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 1:40 am

DBC10 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Why is everyone poo-pooing a potential Blake trade? There are a bunch of teams that need a piece, and around the deadline, the more the teams are bunched up in the standings, the better the odds some team goes all in. Blake is the biggest "If he is healthy" asset in the league for a contending team.

Naming 3 teams that can easily just fit in that contract let alone giving them up a 1st would be extremely difficult. Like, almost it never happens type of difficulty

A deal is definitely possible. A lot depends on what the Pistons will want in return. The key is no long term salary.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#85 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 1:45 am

DBC10 wrote:

Terry Rozier and Tyler Zeller for Blake Griffin and Jahil Okafor. Best deal that I can think to do with Blake.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#86 » by mattao313 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 1:47 am

Im not worried about Blake just keep getting high draft picks
Championships
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#87 » by zeebneeb » Mon Feb 8, 2021 1:54 am

This isn't about value, or contracts this is about desperation. Trust me, teams can make just about anything happen if they want Blake bad enough.

His contract is also a plus at the end of next season.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#88 » by Invictus88 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 2:50 am

zeebneeb wrote:This isn't about value, or contracts this is about desperation. Trust me, teams can make just about anything happen if they want Blake bad enough.

I've watched almost all of the Pistons games this season. I don't know why any team would give up any assets to trade for him. It isn't about a team wanting him bad enough. It's about a team wanting him at all. He's had maybe one decent game all season. He's looked terrible in most.

We'd have to ship assets to offload him this year which doesn't make any sense for a rebuilding team. Next year we might be able to do something with him as an expiring contract.
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#89 » by sfballa13 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:44 am

Invictus88 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:This isn't about value, or contracts this is about desperation. Trust me, teams can make just about anything happen if they want Blake bad enough.

I've watched almost all of the Pistons games this season. I don't know why any team would give up any assets to trade for him. It isn't about a team wanting him bad enough. It's about a team wanting him at all. He's had maybe one decent game all season. He's looked terrible in most.

We'd have to ship assets to offload him this year which doesn't make any sense for a rebuilding team. Next year we might be able to do something with him as an expiring contract.

You are correct about having to ship off assets, but not to the Thunder.

Presti loves to deal and Blake's big expiring next season would be a perfect trade chip

Blake comes home, helps the Thunder tank, and we get Horford

The money works and we save 9M (can use that to sign someone in the offseason)

First negative is that Horford is playing pretty well this season (45% on five 3PT attempts per game, 13 pts /7 rebounds) and may hurt the tank

Second negative is that his contract is one year longer than Blake meaning we'll be on the hook for 26M in 22-23''

At least Horford can play within our system and wont hurt development. He cares less about his ego than Blake and we could very well trade him next year for more assets if he continues his good play.

Really i dont see any reason that OKC would do this other than to further their tank and get that big expiring to play around with next season but Presti likes to gamble
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#90 » by Piston Pete » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:52 am

I have no interest in trading Blake for longer deals. And I know that hurts our probability of trading him.

Rather just keep him and let him expire here.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#91 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:47 am

Even a desperate team is going to judge Blake's value based on his production the last 2 years.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#92 » by zeebneeb » Mon Feb 8, 2021 2:25 pm

Snakebites wrote:

Even a desperate team is going to judge Blake's value based on his production the last 2 years.
The league wouldn't have any bad trades if teams didn't get desperate. This is what I'm counting on. Roll the dice, win a big prize! The tighter the standings, the better the chance some dopey GM goes all in.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#93 » by Billl » Mon Feb 8, 2021 2:49 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

The league wouldn't have any bad trades if teams didn't get desperate. This is what I'm counting on. Roll the dice, win a big prize! The tighter the standings, the better the chance some dopey GM goes all in.

\
Obviously you trade blake if anyone makes and offer that doesn't involve us sending out other assets. The problem is that no other team has shown the least bit of interest in that. Blake is cooked. He can't run. He can't jump. He has no lift on his shot, which is leading to his 36% shooting. He's putting up a 10 PER, which is significantly below replacement value. Add in the significant risk that he ends up missing a ton of games due to injury, and you'll see why nobody has been making offers for him.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#94 » by Kilo » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:22 pm

Blake will be bought out or stretch waived come the off-season depending on if Weaver wants 23M to play with this off-season or not.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#95 » by Piston Pete » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:57 pm

Please, no more stretch-waives!!
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#96 » by flow » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:07 pm

You may be able to move Blake at the trade deadline next year. Before then, no chance.

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#97 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:15 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

I just think that after 2 years of him being either hurt or awful that teams will see no potential upside.

Even a really desperate gambler isn’t going to pay a hundred bucks for a lottery scratcher where the prize is a DVD player from the early 2000s.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,257

Post#98 » by vege » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:38 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

That was exactly my argument for Rose. There were too many suitors and the tighter thhs standings are, the better the chances we would get something for him, we ended up getting nothing.

I think in Blake's situation, things are a lot more complicated, someone would need to be REALLY desperate to get him (it's not imposible, but very unlikely, sadly). He makes a lot of money, and has 2 years left on his deal, and he has been really bad, while Rose was serviceable in an important role.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#99 » by ByeByeDre » Tue Feb 9, 2021 2:31 am

Not this year. Next year, maybe.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#100 » by Moses ShamMoses » Tue Feb 9, 2021 2:53 pm

There is a small chance a team trades for Blake at the deadline, but we're going to get back a few bad players on expiring/1 year deals at best. No team is giving up picks or young talent for him. Obviously this is based on current performance and if he starts playing better that would make a trade more likely and possibly a small asset (late first) in return.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'

Return to Detroit Pistons