ImageImageImage

It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 36,653
And1: 7,072
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#21 » by Snakebites » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:57 pm

But...we didn’t.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 30,716
And1: 17,742
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#22 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:04 pm

I am praying this is our lineup in a few years.

Hayes/ whatever
Cade/Jackson
Bates/Bey
Grant/Doumbouya
Stewart/Plumlee

Then start working some trades and FA to go for it
Moses ShamMoses
Veteran
Posts: 2,584
And1: 919
Joined: Nov 28, 2012

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#23 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:18 pm

Even before all the questionable trades, I don't think we had the projected cap space to resign Wood at $14-15M and sign Grant at $20M. I could be wrong though but I remember hearing we had around $30M to spend. In the case we did have enough money, it also means we likely don't sign Josh Jackson and we don't trade for multiple first rounders in the draft (which required us taking on salary commitments). I guess the question becomes would you rather have...

A. Wood and Grant

or

B. Grant, Bey, Stewart, Jackson
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
ByeByeDre
Rookie
Posts: 1,029
And1: 315
Joined: Apr 20, 2017
 

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#24 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:24 pm

With our crazy GM, getting Wood and Grant would have been no problem. He would have either traded away a few more second rounders or stretched Blake.

If we would have had Wood and Halliburton, we would have needed to take a hammer to a few bones in his non shooting hand and stuck him on IR to keep our ping pong balls high
Every good poster has a troll. Mine is named Pharaoh.
Invictus88
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,318
And1: 454
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#25 » by Invictus88 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:38 pm

There's no way to properly evaluate and respond to this.

The Wood non-signing was stupid. I've said as much elsewhere so I won't say more.

But with Hayes' injury preventing us from seeing how he will actually develop there's no way of doing anything close to a viable comparison with Haliburton. There's just no way to predict an injury such as this beforehand. As such I really can't blame Weaver, etc for that.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
Posts: 1,029
And1: 315
Joined: Apr 20, 2017
 

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#26 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:51 pm

flow wrote:Interesting study in psychology this thread has become. Weaver deserves applause for failing his two most important tasks of the offseason because we're not just tanking games, we're tanking the draft (lottery pick) and free-agency (letting Wood go), too.

.


The whole board is a great study in psychology. Watching Weaver is like getting a new girlfriend and ultimately figuring out that she’s crazy. Consider SVG..... he signs on, flips almost the entire roster. Most everyone here liked that part. We get the 8th seed and play Cleveland tough. We have youth. Everyone’s excited. That’s the falling in love part. Then....... Drummond dogs it, Reggie breaks down, Stanley doesn’t improve, we sign guys like Leuer and Galloway to dumb deals, KCP leaves town, and then finally, the all-in trade for the biggest contract in the league. THIS GIRL IS CRAZY! WE NEED TO DUMP HER! But it takes five years to get her crap out of your house........

So now, we have a new GM, who has done some crazy things already - first GM in history with 30 million in cap space to stretch 20 million in contracts in the same summer! Our first rounders are semi tied for a few years, our second rounders are mostly gone, and after drafting all these rookies, he signed vets to play in front of them. His first pick looks horrible. Most posters are in the “shiny new pieces” stage. They like the fact that there are different players losing games than the ones SVG brought in. Not me - I’m already fearing the “what crap is she going to put in my house” part.

One saving grace for Troy - unless he totally screws something up, he will have a top five pick next year. And it looks like an awesome draft. And Crazy Troy will be making the pick.....
Every good poster has a troll. Mine is named Pharaoh.
User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 11,335
And1: 4,376
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#27 » by zeebneeb » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:54 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:
flow wrote:Interesting study in psychology this thread has become. Weaver deserves applause for failing his two most important tasks of the offseason because we're not just tanking games, we're tanking the draft (lottery pick) and free-agency (letting Wood go), too.

.


The whole board is a great study in psychology. Watching Weaver is like getting a new girlfriend and ultimately figuring out that she’s crazy. Consider SVG..... he signs on, flips almost the entire roster. Most everyone here liked that part. We get the 8th seed and play Cleveland tough. We have youth. Everyone’s excited. That’s the falling in love part. Then....... Drummond dogs it, Reggie breaks down, Stanley doesn’t improve, we sign guys like Leuer and Galloway to dumb deals, KCP leaves town, and then finally, the all-in trade for the biggest contract in the league. THIS GIRL IS CRAZY! WE NEED TO DUMP HER! But it takes five years to get her crap out of your house........

So now, we have a new GM, who has done some crazy things already - first GM in history with 30 million in cap space to stretch 20 million in contracts in the same summer! Our first rounders are semi tied for a few years, our second rounders are mostly gone, and after drafting all these rookies, he signed vets to play in front of them. His first pick looks horrible. Most posters are in the “shiny new pieces” stage. They like the fact that there are different players losing games than the ones SVG brought in. Not me - I’m already fearing the “what crap is she going to put in my house” part.

One saving grace for Troy - unless he totally screws something up, he will have a top five pick next year. And it looks like an awesome draft. And Crazy Troy will be making the pick.....
Now it's "Crazy Troy".

I'm just going to assume your mind will be completely gone by the end of the season at this point.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
Posts: 1,029
And1: 315
Joined: Apr 20, 2017
 

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#28 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:11 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
ByeByeDre wrote:
flow wrote:Interesting study in psychology this thread has become. Weaver deserves applause for failing his two most important tasks of the offseason because we're not just tanking games, we're tanking the draft (lottery pick) and free-agency (letting Wood go), too.

.


The whole board is a great study in psychology. Watching Weaver is like getting a new girlfriend and ultimately figuring out that she’s crazy. Consider SVG..... he signs on, flips almost the entire roster. Most everyone here liked that part. We get the 8th seed and play Cleveland tough. We have youth. Everyone’s excited. That’s the falling in love part. Then....... Drummond dogs it, Reggie breaks down, Stanley doesn’t improve, we sign guys like Leuer and Galloway to dumb deals, KCP leaves town, and then finally, the all-in trade for the biggest contract in the league. THIS GIRL IS CRAZY! WE NEED TO DUMP HER! But it takes five years to get her crap out of your house........

So now, we have a new GM, who has done some crazy things already - first GM in history with 30 million in cap space to stretch 20 million in contracts in the same summer! Our first rounders are semi tied for a few years, our second rounders are mostly gone, and after drafting all these rookies, he signed vets to play in front of them. His first pick looks horrible. Most posters are in the “shiny new pieces” stage. They like the fact that there are different players losing games than the ones SVG brought in. Not me - I’m already fearing the “what crap is she going to put in my house” part.

One saving grace for Troy - unless he totally screws something up, he will have a top five pick next year. And it looks like an awesome draft. And Crazy Troy will be making the pick.....
Now it's "Crazy Troy".

I'm just going to assume your mind will be completely gone by the end of the season at this point.


I’m actually entertained by all of it. Look at some of the polls on this site...... half the people on this board think Sekou is a future All-Star! 90% of the people on this board think Hayes is a stud pick! Good times!
Every good poster has a troll. Mine is named Pharaoh.
User avatar
vege
RealGM
Posts: 15,283
And1: 1,623
Joined: Jul 18, 2008
Location: Fire Troy Weaver

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#29 » by vege » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:13 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:Even before all the questionable trades, I don't think we had the projected cap space to resign Wood at $14-15M and sign Grant at $20M. I could be wrong though but I remember hearing we had around $30M to spend. In the case we did have enough money, it also means we likely don't sign Josh Jackson and we don't trade for multiple first rounders in the draft (which required us taking on salary commitments). I guess the question becomes would you rather have...

A. Wood and Grant

or

B. Grant, Bey, Stewart, Jackson


You're wrong. We could've signed everyone we signed if we didn't do the Stewart trade. Which means, we would have Wood instead of Stewart and Wright. We could've signed Jackson (we didn't sign him with cap space anyways) and we could even have fit Plumlee's 8 million.

There is no way around it. Weaver **** up, I am shocked since his first trade, some people realized it a while ago, while others are only putting it together now. Weaver is a disaster, we will pay for a while for the mistakes he made. We need not only Weaver, but Gores and Tellem gone.

There is absolutely no excuse for us trading to acquire Arn Tellem's son's client, and then giving him a 3 years contract. We got robbed. He got to go. Gores is a morron, we will continue to be the league's laughing stock while he is our owner.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 30,716
And1: 17,742
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#30 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:16 pm

It's really not the end of the world for people to be crying over 24/7. But we have to get in the top of these next two drafts and we will be the new young up and coming team.

I agree though this FO is ridiculously stupid with some of the things they do.
User avatar
vege
RealGM
Posts: 15,283
And1: 1,623
Joined: Jul 18, 2008
Location: Fire Troy Weaver

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#31 » by vege » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:20 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
ByeByeDre wrote:
The whole board is a great study in psychology. Watching Weaver is like getting a new girlfriend and ultimately figuring out that she’s crazy. Consider SVG..... he signs on, flips almost the entire roster. Most everyone here liked that part. We get the 8th seed and play Cleveland tough. We have youth. Everyone’s excited. That’s the falling in love part. Then....... Drummond dogs it, Reggie breaks down, Stanley doesn’t improve, we sign guys like Leuer and Galloway to dumb deals, KCP leaves town, and then finally, the all-in trade for the biggest contract in the league. THIS GIRL IS CRAZY! WE NEED TO DUMP HER! But it takes five years to get her crap out of your house........

So now, we have a new GM, who has done some crazy things already - first GM in history with 30 million in cap space to stretch 20 million in contracts in the same summer! Our first rounders are semi tied for a few years, our second rounders are mostly gone, and after drafting all these rookies, he signed vets to play in front of them. His first pick looks horrible. Most posters are in the “shiny new pieces” stage. They like the fact that there are different players losing games than the ones SVG brought in. Not me - I’m already fearing the “what crap is she going to put in my house” part.

One saving grace for Troy - unless he totally screws something up, he will have a top five pick next year. And it looks like an awesome draft. And Crazy Troy will be making the pick.....
Now it's "Crazy Troy".

I'm just going to assume your mind will be completely gone by the end of the season at this point.


I’m actually entertained by all of it. Look at some of the polls on this site...... half the people on this board think Sekou is a future All-Star! 90% of the people on this board think Hayes is a stud pick! Good times!


And some people compare Stewart to Big Ben :roll:

After Greg Monroe, Brandon Knight, KCP (he's a champion but he's not good at all) Stanley Johnson, Henry Ellenson, Austin Daye, Rodney Stuckey etc etc etc, you would think some people around here would have a clue and stop overhyping below average prospects but noooo, we got a bunch of future stars, and if they don't develop, is the coach's fault.
User avatar
vege
RealGM
Posts: 15,283
And1: 1,623
Joined: Jul 18, 2008
Location: Fire Troy Weaver

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#32 » by vege » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:24 pm

MotownMadness wrote:It's really not the end of the world for people to be crying over 24/7. But we have to get in the top of these next two drafts and we will be the new young up and coming team.

I agree though this FO is ridiculously stupid with some of the things they do.


This guy is an imbecile, but a lot of what he said in this video is true. So yes, it is the end of the world, because we continue down the same path and we continue to throw away talent (Wood)

MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 30,716
And1: 17,742
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#33 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:29 pm

vege wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:It's really not the end of the world for people to be crying over 24/7. But we have to get in the top of these next two drafts and we will be the new young up and coming team.

I agree though this FO is ridiculously stupid with some of the things they do.


This guy is an imbecile, but a lot of what he said in this video is true. So yes, it is the ennd of the world, because we continue down the same path and we continue to throw away talent (Wood)


I'm not watching some hindsight video of something I already know with wasted picks seeing as I've been following the team religiously for a very long time.

No the world is not ending Vege, the NBA landscape can change very quick once you get a star in the draft. Now trusting this management to build around them properly is another issue down the road.

If we can get a guy like Cade or even Suggs who can actually create offense with the ball in his hands then we have something going.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
Posts: 1,029
And1: 315
Joined: Apr 20, 2017
 

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#34 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:32 pm

vege wrote:
ByeByeDre wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Now it's "Crazy Troy".

I'm just going to assume your mind will be completely gone by the end of the season at this point.


I’m actually entertained by all of it. Look at some of the polls on this site...... half the people on this board think Sekou is a future All-Star! 90% of the people on this board think Hayes is a stud pick! Good times!


And some people compare Stewart to Big Ben :roll:

After Greg Monroe, Brandon Knight, KCP (he's a champion but he's not good at all) Stanley Johnson, Henry Ellenson, Austin Daye, Rodney Stuckey etc etc etc, you would think some people around here would have a clue and stop overhyping below average prospects but noooo, we got a bunch of future stars, and if they don't develop, is the coach's fault.


Also, the “crap in the house” part has already begun.... how long are we on the hook for these stretched contracts this time? And how long are we stuck keeping first round picks because the Rockets have that option?

Didn’t we just get done paying Josh Smith last year?

Gores and Fords - who’s worse?
Every good poster has a troll. Mine is named Pharaoh.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 30,716
And1: 17,742
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#35 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:33 pm

Vege you were also acting like the world was ending when we were a crappy team and traded a expiring Bullock at the deadline for SVI and a 2nd rounder.
User avatar
vege
RealGM
Posts: 15,283
And1: 1,623
Joined: Jul 18, 2008
Location: Fire Troy Weaver

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#36 » by vege » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:39 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Vege you were also acting like the world was ending when we were a crappy team and traded a expiring Bullock at the deadline for SVI and a 2nd rounder.


We had just made the playoffs. Bullock was the perfect fit next to Blake and Drummond.

Bullock got injured and didn't play much after that trade, Svi developed beyond everyone's expectations, and still he is not even a regular player in our rotation (he should be)

So yeah, keep bringing this back over and over again in an attempt to cancel my opinion about everything else if you want, I don't care.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 30,716
And1: 17,742
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#37 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:41 pm

vege wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Vege you were also acting like the world was ending when we were a crappy team and traded a expiring Bullock at the deadline for SVI and a 2nd rounder.


We had just made the playoffs. Bullock was the perfect fit next to Blake and Drummond.

Bullock got injured and didn't play much after that trade, Svi developed beyond everyone's expectations, and still he is not even a regular player in our rotation (he should be)

So yeah, keep bringing this back over and over again in an attempt to cancel my opinion about everything else if you want, I don't care.

Dude we were a 8th seed by default and everyone knew we were going to get destroyed by the Bucks. You dont worry about Bullock in that situation, you take the rebuild pieces cause you suck and it's clear you suck
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 30,716
And1: 17,742
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#38 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:44 pm

I'm just saying your negative about everything and 90% of the time its completely irrelevant to our current situation cause you cant change it.

Why not talk about Draft prospects, rookies or other guys that are actually on the team now. Invest your energy in that instead?
User avatar
vege
RealGM
Posts: 15,283
And1: 1,623
Joined: Jul 18, 2008
Location: Fire Troy Weaver

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#39 » by vege » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:54 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I'm just saying your negative about everything and 90% of the time its completely irrelevant to our current situation cause you cant change it.

Why not talk about Draft prospects, rookies or other guys that are actually on the team now. Invest your energy in that instead?


Hayes was the biggest bust of this draft class so far, untill he got injured.

Bey has been much better than expected, and I've said that several times.

Stewart is a terrible player who plays really hard, I hope he learns how to play the game, but I'm not very excited about it.

Our 2nd round pick is terrible, he shouldn't be playing at all

Sekou is not worth mentioning, he has a lot of talent, but he is hidding when he's in the court. He is invisible most of the time.

Tellem's son's player was signed to steal Piston's money, so I refuse to comment him as a basketball player.

Jackson has been great as expected, I even started a thread before the free agency to say we should sign him, but hey, you don't remember it right?

Okafor has been ok, for a min salary backup, and I also said we should sign him for that role.

Nerlens Noel has been solid for the Knicks, and I said we should sign him, because he would've been cheap and he would be a good fit next to Wood.

As we've seen the last 2 games, Bryn Forbes is solid at his role, and he was signed very cheap, I also said we should given the guy a chance.

So yeah, I talk about a lot of stuff, not only negative stuff, but you decide to ignore it and bring back the one thing I said, that you find I was very wrong, when in fact I wasn't, so whatever.

I am not even mentioning the thousands of posts I have in the trades and transaction boards, where people need help understanding Detroit's situation, because other than us, no one watches the Pistons play, so they have absolutely no idea what's going on. Most people are shocked by what Christian Wood has been doing.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 30,716
And1: 17,742
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#40 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:47 pm

vege wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:I'm just saying your negative about everything and 90% of the time its completely irrelevant to our current situation cause you cant change it.

Why not talk about Draft prospects, rookies or other guys that are actually on the team now. Invest your energy in that instead?


Hayes was the biggest bust of this draft class so far, untill he got injured.

Bey has been much better than expected, and I've said that several times.

Stewart is a terrible player who plays really hard, I hope he learns how to play the game, but I'm not very excited about it.

Our 2nd round pick is terrible, he shouldn't be playing at all

Sekou is not worth mentioning, he has a lot of talent, but he is hidding when he's in the court. He is invisible most of the time.

Tellem's son's player was signed to steal Piston's money, so I refuse to comment him as a basketball player.

Jackson has been great as expected, I even started a thread before the free agency to say we should sign him, but hey, you don't remember it right?

Okafor has been ok, for a min salary backup, and I also said we should sign him for that role.

Nerlens Noel has been solid for the Knicks, and I said we should sign him, because he would've been cheap and he would be a good fit next to Wood.

As we've seen the last 2 games, Bryn Forbes is solid at his role, and he was signed very cheap, I also said we should given the guy a chance.

So yeah, I talk about a lot of stuff, not only negative stuff, but you decide to ignore it and bring back the one thing I said, that you find I was very wrong, when in fact I wasn't, so whatever.

I am not even mentioning the thousands of posts I have in the trades and transaction boards, where people need help understanding Detroit's situation, because other than us, no one watches the Pistons play, so they have absolutely no idea what's going on. Most people are shocked by what Christian Wood has been doing.

Your never going to survive a rebuild. Sometimes it can even take years for these guys to develop. Or sometimes it takes multiple drafts at the top to land a star (look at Philly)

Some guys are ready out the gate, you probably would have sold the farm for DSJ avg 15ppg in his rookie year.

Return to Detroit Pistons