Houston can be a Problem

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Houston can be a Problem 

Post#1 » by vic » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:26 am

I dont have a sports show so I just wanted to drop this hot take right here:

Thanks to the generosity of Troy Weaver giving up Christian Wood for nothing... Houston has the potential to be a contender THIS year... not after all the draft picks come.

If I was Houstons management I would invest in a nutritional guru, a stretching guru, cryotherapy, bone broth, calcium, whatever it takes to keep those guys healthy because they have a legitimate Big 4 that can contend with anyone in the league THIS YEAR if they stay healthy.

John Wall is superfast, gets guys involved and doesn't play around with the ball
Victor Oladipo is a two way guy that produces with quickness and doesn't play around with the ball.
Demarcus Cousins is a high iq 2 way dominant big.
Christian Wood can play inside and out, shoots 3s, and is mobile
Plus they have mature role players that fit right in.

Mark my words, if they stay healthy they could be in the WCF this year. They are better without Harden.

Just sayin
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Re: Houston can be a Problem 

Post#2 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:36 pm

Sounds like we need to trade them Ellington and Okafor for our 1st rounder back. :wink:
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#3 » by Manocad » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:55 pm

I agree that they're better without Harden, but WCF? No. The defense just isn't there.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#4 » by Billl » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:28 pm

I thought this was going to be a thread about houston messing up our draft position.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#5 » by DetroitSho » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:39 pm

Billl wrote:I thought this was going to be a thread about houston messing up our draft position.
Me too, because that's more likely than whatever this thread is describing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
vic
Veteran

Post#6 » by vic » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:09 pm

Manocad wrote:I agree that they're better without Harden, but WCF? No. The defense just isn't there.

ok maybe I went a little hyperbole... If healthy they could be top 5 in the West.

I think there defense could definitely get there. Oladipo is a 2 way player when healthy. PJ Tucker is a defensive guy. Wall & Cousins when engaged can get steals and stops, draw charges.

just my epinion.

Considering all their injuries and Harden drama, they aren't really doing that bad.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#7 » by Manocad » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:33 pm

vic wrote:
Manocad wrote:I agree that they're better without Harden, but WCF? No. The defense just isn't there.

ok maybe I went a little hyperbole... If healthy they could be top 5 in the West.

I think there defense could definitely get there. Oladipo is a 2 way player when healthy. PJ Tucker is a defensive guy. Wall & Cousins when engaged can get steals and stops, draw charges.

just my epinion.

Considering all their injuries and Harden drama, they aren't really doing that bad.

Boogie and Wall aren't going to suddenly become more engaged at this point in their careers than they were before.

One thing I've learned about pro sports in my many years (especially in recent years) is that catching lightning in a bottle, i.e. overperformance against an expectation, is achieved in basically two ways--first, a group of young players playing above their expected development/potential, or second, a group of veterans together for the first time who happen to be the perfect mix, become energized, play well together, etc. e.g. the 2004 Pistons. Neither of those describes Houston.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#8 » by Sort » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:38 pm

Boogie is slightly less washed up than Blake, but still the same level of headache and not as smart. Wall and Wood can put up beautiful numbers and relinquish the same to the other side. Oladipo got his best from playing within a brilliant system in Indiana. I don't know Silas well at all, but I've seen no indication he's on that level. They look like they'll be right with us trying to get ping pongs. If they put together a great run to even be in the playoffs, I'd call that a giant win for them
vic
Veteran

Post#9 » by vic » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:54 pm

time will tell.

I know enough not to bet against talent that fits well together. When talented guys start to sense a higher talent level around them they start to gel quicker and perform at a higher level.

Each one of these guys have something to prove. Three top 5 picks. Plus we already know C Wood is out for blood.

If healthy, is the big caveat for me.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#10 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:58 pm

Wall / Gordon
Oladipo / Gordon
Tucker / Nwaba
Wood / ???
Cousins / Wood
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,665

Post#11 » by Invictus88 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:05 pm

Manocad wrote:
vic wrote:

just my epinion.

Boogie and Wall aren't going to suddenly become more engaged at this point in their careers than they were before.

One thing I've learned about pro sports in my many years (especially in recent years) is that catching lightning in a bottle, i.e. overperformance against an expectation, is achieved in basically two ways--first, a group of young players playing above their expected development/potential, or second, a group of veterans together for the first time who happen to be the perfect mix, become energized, play well together, etc. e.g. the 2004 Pistons. Neither of those describes Houston.

The one thing I will say about the Houston bunch is that they are almost all cast-offs or on their last real chance to accomplish something meaningful in their careers. That part does remind me of the 2004 Pistons. There should be plenty of motivation built in for them to want to succeed. However, I think it's premature to go any further than that. I admit that now that Harden/Westbrook/CP3/Morey are all gone they are a lot easier to root for :) .
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#12 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:32 pm

Same over here!

DetroitSho wrote:
Billl wrote:I thought this was going to be a thread about houston messing up our draft position.
Me too, because that's more likely than whatever this thread is describing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#13 » by Laimbeer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:34 pm

Better without Harden?? They're 7-9. :lol:
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,981

Post#14 » by BDM22 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:59 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Better without Harden?? They're 7-9. :lol:

To be fair, they were 2-6 with him in the lineup this year. So, 5-3 without.
vic
Veteran

Post#15 » by vic » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:25 pm

BDM22 wrote:

Thanks for correcting the corrector.

I didn't even know that stat, I don't even watch them. I just made this analysis by looking at the players they have.

Totally forgot about Eric Gordon.

Yep, I'm doubling down on this one. They are way better without Harden and will be a playoff team
foolinc
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#16 » by foolinc » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:56 pm

vic wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

I didn't even know that stat, I don't even watch them. I just made this analysis by looking at the players they have.

Yep, I'm doubling down on this one. They are way better without Harden and will be a playoff team

I might hold off crowning the Rockets until they beat one or two teams with winning records (and tonight's matchup against the Blazers is a good opportunity since they might be without a couple of their players).
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#17 » by Laimbeer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:21 pm

vic wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Fair enough, this season they have been better without Harden. But they won't be as good this season as they were in prior years with Harden.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Post#18 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:04 am

Yeah I just watched the first quarter of Hou/Por before the Pistons start. Houston looks outclassed by the Blazers(With no CJ) 32-17 in the first quarter. Rockets wont playoffs and they wont stay healthy with guys like Wall/Oladipo. Ofc Houston can come back its just one quarter but still I dont see it with the Rockets.
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#19 » by TPA » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:56 am

buzzkilloton wrote:Yeah I just watched the first quarter of Hou/Por before the Pistons start. Houston looks outclassed by the Blazers(With no CJ) 32-17 in the first quarter. Rockets wont playoffs and they wont stay healthy with guys like Wall/Oladipo. Ofc Houston can come back its just one quarter but still I dont see it with the Rockets.

Houston got the win.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Post#20 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:36 am

TPA wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Yeah I just watched the first quarter of Hou/Por before the Pistons start. Houston looks outclassed by the Blazers(With no CJ) 32-17 in the first quarter. Rockets wont playoffs and they wont stay healthy with guys like Wall/Oladipo. Ofc Houston can come back its just one quarter but still I dont see it with the Rockets.

Houston got the win.

Like I said "Houston can come back its just one quarter". Squeaking by a short handed Blazers team missing 3 of their top 4 players doesnt impress me.

Return to Detroit Pistons