ImageImageImage

Welcome to Detroit, Dennis Smith Jr

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Re: Welcome to Detroit, Dennis Smith Jr 

Post#21 » by Billl » Mon Feb 8, 2021 5:42 pm

vege wrote:You guys know DSJr is a 65% career FT shooter and 45% TS right? I didn't bother to check but I wouldn't be surprise if that's the lowest among guards in the league.

Ben simmons is at 59%.

DSJ was at 69% in dallas, which is still bad. He was shooting 34% from 3 before the trade . He just fell off a cliff in NYC.

He's a fantastic athlete that needs a ton of work on his shot. We'll see if he's willing to put that work in.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#22 » by vege » Mon Feb 8, 2021 5:48 pm

Billl wrote:
vege wrote:You guys know DSJr is a 65% career FT shooter and 45% TS right? I didn't bother to check but I wouldn't be surprise if that's the lowest among guards in the league.

Ben simmons is at 59%.

DSJ was at 69% in dallas, which is still bad. He was shooting 34% from 3 before the trade . He just fell off a cliff in NYC.

He's a fantastic athlete that needs a ton of work on his shot. We'll see if he's willing to put that work in.

Ben Simmons is insanely good at other things, but still, and still he's team is not going anywhere because of him, so yeah, DSJr is not going to stay in the league.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#23 » by flow » Mon Feb 8, 2021 5:53 pm

Informative article from when it was announced he was going to the g-league, prior to the trade.

https://theknickswall.com/what-went-wrong-dennis-smith-jr-the-knicks-wall/

flow
Assistant Coach

Post#24 » by flow » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:03 pm

Billl wrote:

Ben simmons is at 59%.

Scoring is secondary in Simmons' game. It's all DSJ has to offer. He's RJ without the average jumper. His game is driving to the rim and finishing, and his % is still that low.

440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#25 » by 440BB » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:08 pm

Let's see if Dwayne Casey, the first round bust whisperer, can work his magic!

If not, he's off the books in a couple months and we still have that pick.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#26 » by johanliebert » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:11 pm

King Bugs wrote:I hope Dennis does something, since China seems to be in his near future.

It's not like Dallas and New York didn't give him opportunities... they did, he was gifted starting spots at the 1. He's just been a really bad player. Doesn't distribute well, doesn't run an offense well, and turnovers are high considering how low his assists are. His inefficiency is nuts, Dennis shoots poorly from just about everywhere. He shoots like a center at the free throw line, never shooting higher than 69% for a season (he's a freaking point guard!).

So anything positive from him is a win... but yeah, he's pretty awful. Should be great for the tank though.

Dallas did but New York did not. He missed most of last season with some issue but when he returned he came off the bench when the Knicks had no depth at pg.

Why would China be in the near future of a 22 year old guard? Some of you have agendas and just stick to it lol.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#27 » by johanliebert » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:13 pm

You don’t have big enough of a sample size for these claims. Kid’s 22 now with an opportunity let’s see what he’s got. I think he’s worked a lot on his jumper and will surprise some people.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#28 » by MotownMadness » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:14 pm

The things Pistons fans get worked up about. We're rebuilding and Rose needed to go. All I wanted was a 2nd rounder so another prospect who we can control whether he sucks or shows something is just a bonus.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by Billl » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:22 pm

flow wrote:
Billl wrote:

Ben simmons is at 59%.

Scoring is secondary in Simmons' game. It's all DSJ has to offer. He's RJ without the average jumper. His game is driving to the rim and finishing, and his % is still that low.

You got me. Ben simmons is a better player than DSJ.

There is a reason we are getting him as basically a throwin. He's a slashing guard in a league currently dominated by 3 point shooting. If he doesn't improve his jumper, he'll be out of the league in short order. He's got the athleticism though, so we'll see if he's willing to put in the work it takes to be a respectable shooter. 34% from 3 is not good, but it's not a horrible starting spot. For scale, RJ started out at 21% from deep as a rookie.
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#30 » by TurboTitan » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:28 pm

a couple years ago me and DSJ hd a cussing match when I messaged him after he talked **** about the pistons on IG. Lets just say weve come a long way...
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
flow
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by flow » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:30 pm

Billl wrote:
flow wrote:
Billl wrote:
Ben simmons is at 59%.

There is a reason we are getting him as basically a throwin. He's a slashing guard in a league currently dominated by 3 point shooting. If he doesn't improve his jumper, he'll be out of the league in short order. He's got the athleticism though, so we'll see if he's willing to put in the work it takes to be a respectable shooter. 34% from 3 is not good, but it's not a horrible starting spot. For scale, RJ started out at 21% from deep as a rookie.

You're the one who offered the Simmons comparison, not me. My point is simply that 59% shooting is tolerable from a guy who does everything else as well as Simmons does. But DSJ does none of those things.

Even if he doesn't improve his jumper, his % will increase if he improves his finishing. He's a slashing guard who gets to the rim but has trouble finishing.

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#32 » by vege » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:31 pm

johanliebert wrote:

You don’t have big enough of a sample size for these claims. Kid’s 22 now with an opportunity let’s see what he’s got. I think he’s worked a lot on his jumper and will surprise some people.

160 games is a decent sample size. You're his fanboy, but he is not a NBA caliber player, sorry.
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#33 » by TurboTitan » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:35 pm

btw if you told me DSJ and Josh Jackson would be playing in Detroit 2 years ago I wouldve slapped you
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,781

Post#34 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:38 pm

If this guy was any good, they wouldn't have attached an extra asset to him to get a virtually spent Derrick Rose.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by Billl » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:41 pm

flow wrote:
Billl wrote:
flow wrote:

You're the one who offered the Simmons comparison, not me. My point is simply that 59% shooting is tolerable from a guy who does everything else as well as Simmons does. But DSJ does none of those things.

Even if he doesn't improve his jumper, his % will increase if he improves his finishing. He's a slashing guard who gets to the rim but has trouble finishing.

I didn't offer a simmons comparison. vege said he didn't know if DSJ was the worse FT shooting pg. I posted that simmons actually was. The only 2 things simmons and DSJ have in common is that they are bad shooters.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#36 » by MotownMadness » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:10 pm

Snakebites wrote:If this guy was any good, they wouldn't have attached an extra asset to him to get a virtually spent Derrick Rose.

Well he makes as much as Rose who is better and hasn't accomplished anything yet so they better attach something
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#37 » by DetroitSho » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:41 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Kilo wrote:New Tank Commander to keep Casey from running out Rose and Wright. DSJ can't shoot and can't get to the line. Rose probably would have led to 3-4 more wins the ROS so this is the right move. Pistons need to finish dead last to guarantee themselves at worst #5 pick.
This is what I've been screaming. I see a bunch of people saying "The odds are the same if you have amongst the worst record in the league..."

No, they are not. In a draft like this, you have to make certain you not only get the highest pick you can, but also make certain you can only get as low as the #5 pick. That is the most important part of this whole tank. The Pistons where slotted at the 3rd worst record last year and landed their worst possible pick, the #7. Screw that happening again.

This team has to have the worst record so any bad luck can be mitigated as much as possible.
I might be wrong but isn't it mathematically impossible to have the 3rd worst record and end up with the 7th pick? Don't you think you might be off a bit?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#38 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:44 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:If this guy was any good, they wouldn't have attached an extra asset to him to get a virtually spent Derrick Rose.

Well he makes as much as Rose who is better and hasn't accomplished anything yet so they better attach something

My point was that if he were a good young player he’d have more value than Rose.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#39 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:45 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Kilo wrote:New Tank Commander to keep Casey from running out Rose and Wright. DSJ can't shoot and can't get to the line. Rose probably would have led to 3-4 more wins the ROS so this is the right move. Pistons need to finish dead last to guarantee themselves at worst #5 pick.
This is what I've been screaming. I see a bunch of people saying "The odds are the same if you have amongst the worst record in the league..."

No, they are not. In a draft like this, you have to make certain you not only get the highest pick you can, but also make certain you can only get as low as the #5 pick. That is the most important part of this whole tank. The Pistons where slotted at the 3rd worst record last year and landed their worst possible pick, the #7. Screw that happening again.

This team has to have the worst record so any bad luck can be mitigated as much as possible.
I might be wrong but isn't it mathematically impossible to have the 3rd worst record and end up with the 7th pick? Don't you think you might be off a bit?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Not anymore now that the top 4 picks are determined by lottery. If none of the 3 worst teams hit the top 4 than the third worst team gets number 7.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#40 » by MotownMadness » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:49 pm

Snakebites wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

My point was that if he were a good young player he’d have more value than Rose.

I mean obviously but I dont think anyone should need to be told where DSJ stands in the league as far as value, potential and how it hasn't worked out so far.

He shouldn't have any value at this point but that doesnt mean he cant improve either. He was still a 5 star recruit so who knows and honestly who cares if he doesnt.

The main goal was getting rid of a washed up Rose to stop from any silly extra wins

Return to Detroit Pistons