ImageImageImage

Welcome to Detroit, Dennis Smith Jr

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Re: Welcome to Detroit, Dennis Smith Jr 

Post#81 » by 440BB » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:31 pm

Reading the encouragement his friend Josh Jackson gave him about the Pistons being a welcoming place to get a fair chance was a good sign.

Getting his confidence back, getting in shape and developing chemistry should take him about a month with steady backup minutes. I hope he makes the commitment and finds his best game. If he does, whether he stays or moves on, the Pistons are seen in a good light by the rest of the league's players. That's a building block for signing that star piece in a year or two to become a top team.

There are a number of good players that will work hard for team that gives them a chance to grow. I'm glad Weaver's finding a few and Casey is helping them round out their game. Some of them might like being a Piston enough to stick around for the fun years ahead.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#82 » by pistonpat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:37 pm

Han Solo wrote:He looked good yesterday.

Looked better but he obviously is out of shape and has a ways to go to get there. Would like to see what he can do when he gets in shape, assuming he has the desire to. Casey even mentioned he is working on getting his "sea legs" back.

Also likely due to being out of shape, he is very passive for the most part. Walks the ball up most time and just starts the offense, and then goes and stands in the corner most play. Always remember as someone who was on the attack like Rose to some degree.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#83 » by Pharaoh » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:56 pm

Think that's partly Casey's offense tbh

Hayes was saddled with that exact task:

Walk it up, pass to Blake or Plumlee then go and stand in the corner.

It's a terrible scheme regardless of how good your bigs can pass, especially when so few of our young guys slip or curl and cut baseline.
pistonpat wrote:

Looked better but he obviously is out of shape and has a ways to go to get there. Would like to see what he can do when he gets in shape, assuming he has the desire to. Casey even mentioned he is working on getting his "sea legs" back.

Also likely due to being out of shape, he is very passive for the most part. Walks the ball up most time and just starts the offense, and then goes and stands in the corner most play. Always remember as someone who was on the attack like Rose to some degree.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
GBanga3
Rookie
And1: 404

Post#84 » by GBanga3 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:13 pm

Han Solo wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Can you even imagine if alongside Grant, and Jackson(not to mention Wright who has been playing out of his mind)DSJ also starts to pan out?

I am not afraid to say that so far, Weaver has managed to grab a bunch of players front offices, fellow players, the whole damn league had written off, or thought they knew their value or peak, and has cobbled together a group that plays their ass off, and plays right with the best the league has to offer, night in, and night out.

Adding another top pick to this group would be fantastic. I have now accepted that which I suspected before the season started, this team is better then anyone thinks/thought. I'm hoping thru some luck the Pistons never have, that they can win, and move up and land at least a top 5 pick.

Really fun games lately.

Going to work Pistons were a team of cast offs. And our current team has a little “bad boys” edge to them. Don’t know how any real Piston fan can’t enjoy what’s happening right now.

If we get a top pick, great. I’d rather just let it happen. If we’re winning with the young players that’s great.

:nod:

Sure has been fun! And 100% if we win now with Blake gone then we’ve certainty got some nice talent on our hands.

Can’t be too mad at that.
-Official #1 Australian Pistons Fan-
440BB
Bench Warmer

Post#85 » by 440BB » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:31 pm

The cancellation of the Spurs and Mavericks games this week couldn't have come at a better time for DSJ, as we can get in a couple more practices to help him get acclimated. In addition, they can practice with the new lineup, no longer accommodating Blake in the mix.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#86 » by BJK1 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#87 » by Piston Pete » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm

Will we be able to trade Smith before the deadline?

If so, he’d be a good sweetener to add onto a deal
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#88 » by chrbal » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:23 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Will we be able to trade Smith before the deadline?

Teams have to wait like 3 weeks this season, so when’s the deadline
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#89 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:36 pm

I don’t think you can trade a guy you traded for as part of another package.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#90 » by whitehops » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:01 am

i think smith is long past the point of being considered "sweetener" in a deal. "filler" is a much more appropriate description, just for salary-matching purposes.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#91 » by Pharaoh » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:22 am

I'd rather keep him the rest of the way then wave him goodbye in the off-season.

He's looked terrible so far but I'm willing to give him the rest of the season to show something
whitehops wrote:

i think smith is long past the point of being considered "sweetener" in a deal. "filler" is a much more appropriate description, just for salary-matching purposes.

edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#92 » by edmunder_prc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 pm

DSjr is out of the league after this.

Maybe he gets the minimum. He cant shoot or pass and turns the ball over constantly. Thats a tough sell for a PG.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#93 » by johanliebert » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 am

edmunder_prc wrote:DSjr is out of the league after this.

Maybe he gets the minimum. He cant shoot or pass and turns the ball over constantly. Thats a tough sell for a PG.

Lol now how did you come to that conclusion in 3 games. He shot the ball well tonight and is getting his legs back
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#94 » by Pharaoh » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:27 am

Some love the hot takes around here
johanliebert wrote:

Lol now how did you come to that conclusion in 3 games. He shot the ball well tonight and is getting his legs back

El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#95 » by El Chivo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:59 am

He looks Reggie Jackson 2.0 to me.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
440BB
Bench Warmer

Post#96 » by 440BB » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:28 am

Smith arriving here as the first backup off the bench while he tried to redevelop his game seemed like a useful piece without Rose. It still left Lee and Jackson getting very few minutes, especially if Smith played well.

Wright's injury combined with Smith's early struggles opened the door for Lee and even Jackson to see minutes. Having those three rotating through the PG spot seems like a perfect outcome at this point. Smith has less pressure while Lee shows he deserves a full contract. This is one big tryout for next year for all three, wherever they play.

It turns out that trading Rose early is paying off in player development more than I expected. Maybe all three of these young players end up on somebody's NBA roster next season.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#97 » by johanliebert » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:12 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Some love the hot takes around here
johanliebert wrote:

Casey is hard on pg’s smith won’t get any extended run until he’s in game shape and know’s the offence. He played at a faster pace last night and looked more comfortable I’d say he’s 1.5 weeks away from being ready.

I am interested to see how he looks vs the Knicks.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#98 » by Moses ShamMoses » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:54 pm

I solute you Tank Commander, Dennis Smith Jr...thank you for your contribution to the tank. Actually he's been alright nothing special. Its telling that rookie 2nd round pick Saben Lee is outperforming him. I honestly think most likely scenario is he gets cut at the end of the year after a so-so season with the Pistons. I would love for him to prove me wrong but he's just not passing the eye test so far.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
440BB
Bench Warmer

Post#99 » by 440BB » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:22 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:I solute you Tank Commander, Dennis Smith Jr...thank you for your contribution to the tank. Actually he's been alright nothing special. Its telling that rookie 2nd round pick Saben Lee is outperforming him. I honestly think most likely scenario is he gets cut at the end of the year after a so-so season with the Pistons. I would love for him to prove me wrong but he's just not passing the eye test so far.

I believe he's a free agent after this season, just like Saben Lee and Frank Jackson. Smith may play himself into somebody picking him up as a cheap backup next year.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#100 » by chrbal » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:58 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:I solute you Tank Commander, Dennis Smith Jr...thank you for your contribution to the tank. Actually he's been alright nothing special. Its telling that rookie 2nd round pick Saben Lee is outperforming him. I honestly think most likely scenario is he gets cut at the end of the year after a so-so season with the Pistons. I would love for him to prove me wrong but he's just not passing the eye test so far.

Smith has only been with Detroit for about two weeks.

I’m glad he’s here to man the tank, but I think a lot of people are too quick to call it a day on him. The Knicks were run horribly up until this season.

I think for both we need more games against Orlando to build up their confidence.

Return to Detroit Pistons