ImageImageImage

Pistons reportedly interested in Spencer Dinwiddie

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Pistons reportedly interested in Spencer Dinwiddie 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:02 pm

Interest report for sure. He has made some comments after getting trading from Detroit previously about just needing a chance, so it sounds like he was a bit unhappy that he wasn't given a chance in Detroit. Not sure how he would feel about resigning with Detroit on a longer term deal.

He's got a player option this summer and can opt out of the last year of his deal, which he was almost certain to do before he got injured and is probably still likely to do.

If he comes back from injury as good as or better than he was previously and he resigns with us we're adding another talented player that's a borderline all-star... He was a 20 and 7 guy for Brooklyn last year, BUT he is a lower % shooter especially from three.

What would I give up for his bird rights? Probably not a lot. I am not sure I'd even trade Wright straight up for him given he might just end up opting out and never playing a game for us.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/spencer-dinwiddie-trade-rumors-pistons-interested-in-dealing-for-injured-nets-guard-per-report/
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Re: Pistons reportedly interested in Spencer Dinwiddie 

Post#2 » by Spider156 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:37 pm

It’s a completely different regime than when dinwiddie was here last time. I don’t think it’s about resigning him, I think he’s just at good value right now for a rebuilding team but not for a contending team and weaver is trying to take advantage of time. I think delon Wright for dinwiddie is a good trade since it’s guard for guard. Killian comes back, we can still draft Cunningham. But the Nets likely want plumlee. So if that happens does that mean we want to draft Mobley? Keep Killian and DSJ with Dinwiddie as point guards of the future. Overall I believe weaver is looking in the right places for valuable players.
Defense wins championships
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#3 » by Kilo » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:51 pm

I don't believe this to be honest. I guess from the Brooklyn perspective they'd want a now piece to help them in their title hunt this season. Delon Wright makes sense for them in a straight up, or maybe Wright and Ellington. But BKLN also got a DPE for him at 5.7M so they could just use that to sign a post TDL player and keep Dinwiddie's rights themselves.

One issue with this though is Nets are worried if he opts out they wouldn't be able to afford him and he could walk as a FA and they'd lose that salary slot - and that Wright's guaranteed money next year would keep that salary slot open for them to trade.

It's tricky in trading Dinwiddie because of the PO, teams won't give up any young players or picks for him because he could opt out and walk. And he can't be treated as a pure expiring in case he opts in.

He has to be traded to a tanking team who would be okay if he walks, but okay if he opts in. Nets would want a now player in return. Dinwiddie has no value to a team trying to win this season as he likely doesn't play.

Detroit is a pretty unique fit in that we'd be willing to take him on and not have him play this season, and both wouldn't mind if he opted out (for the cap space) or opted in. I think Houston and Minnesota, possibly Orlando also make sense here.

I'll call Terrance Ross/Khem Birch for Dinwiddie/Claxton is the eventual trade.

I don't think Plumlee is available - though would be a very good fit for Brooklyn. Detroit only has two bigs - Plumlee and Stewart, with Okafor down for awhile still and Griffin sitting on his ass at home waiting a buyout.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#4 » by Manocad » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:03 pm

Spider156 wrote:It’s a completely different regime than when dinwiddie was here last time. I don’t think it’s about resigning him, I think he’s just at good value right now for a rebuilding team but not for a contending team and weaver is trying to take advantage of time. I think delon Wright for dinwiddie is a good trade since it’s guard for guard. Killian comes back, we can still draft Cunningham. But the Nets likely want plumlee. So if that happens does that mean we want to draft Mobley? Keep Killian and DSJ with Dinwiddie as point guards of the future. Overall I believe weaver is looking in the right places for valuable players.

If I'm Weaver and Cunningham is available when I pick, I'm taking him. Period.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#5 » by Kilo » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:07 pm

Yeah, Cunningham is the player you take and then blow your up your team to build around. He's Grant Hill.

If Detroit was to be talked into moving Plumlee I think I'd want something like Plumlee, Ellington, McGruder for Dinwiddie, Claxton, Shamet. Detroit would then have to trade for a Ce from somewhere. Maybe Sekou for Mo Bamba.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
bstein14
RealGM

Post#6 » by bstein14 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:43 pm

Bruce Brown has actually been pretty solid for them. A backup backcourt of Wright/Brown to backup Iriving/Harden would just be insane.

One thing for sure. Dinwiddie has no desire to stay and backup Irving and Harden.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#7 » by DetroitSho » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:59 pm

bstein14 wrote:Bruce Brown has actually been pretty solid for them. A backup backcourt of Wright/Brown to backup Iriving/Harden would just be insane.

One thing for sure. Dinwiddie has no desire to stay and backup Irving and Harden.
To the last part, where is that coming from?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
bstein14
RealGM

Post#8 » by bstein14 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 2:57 am

I was 100% on board with trading Rose for Dinwiddie. I'm not sure trading Wright for Dinwiddie's bird rights is the right deal for us. Some of that depends on what the situation is with the Blake trade and more likely buyout. If we're going to have cap space from Blake being moved it might not make sense to trade for Dinwiddie when we could simply offer him a deal in FA. Might be better to consider a Wright move for and expiring and draft compensation.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#9 » by Piston Pete » Mon Mar 1, 2021 3:04 am

Plumlee for Dinwiddie/1st?
bstein14
RealGM

Post#10 » by bstein14 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 3:13 am

Piston Pete wrote:Plumlee for Dinwiddie/1st?

They gave up all their firsts for Harden.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#11 » by Pharaoh » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:18 am

IF there's any interest in Dinwiddie it's of the "rehab your value here next season" type...

Plumlee - Stewart
Grant - Sekou
Bey
Dinwiddie - Jackson
Hayes - DSR - Lee

Plus our 2021 pick and the TOR & CHA 2nds.

This assumes we gave the Nets Wright & Okafor to land Dinwiddie.

After next season we'd either retain Spencer & Jackson then add someone with the remaining cap space OR we have a Max slot available

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#12 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Mar 1, 2021 10:20 am

No thanks. We've seen what Dinwiddie rehabbing in Detroit looks like... good Bitcoin for a bad outcome.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#13 » by tmorgan » Mon Mar 1, 2021 1:29 pm

Torn on the Mayor returning. I like him, but I have this feeling he’s the kind of guy that needs good teammates to be a positive player. Give him too much responsibility, like starting point guard on a team lacking primary scoring options except Jerami, I think he struggles most nights. He’s big for a PG, and a smart basketball player, but he’s either deliberate or slow, depending on how you want to frame it. We’re young. We need to run.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#14 » by Piston Pete » Mon Mar 1, 2021 1:55 pm

I look at Dinwiddie as nothing more than an expiring contract.

He has a player option for next season, which he most likely picks up.

So unless we can flip Plumlee for him (and save an extra year of Plumlee’s deal), I have no interest in Dinwiddie.
foolinc
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#15 » by foolinc » Mon Mar 1, 2021 2:52 pm

I'm on the fence on whether or not I would want to roll the dice and trade for Dinwiddie. On one hand, I don't think that Delon Wright's value is going to get much better than it is right now and neither him nor Dinwiddie would be in Detroit's plans long term. If Spencer rehabs and is back to form, then I think we'd be able to trade him next off-season for something better than a rehabbing Dinwiddie.

On the other hand I think Wright's value will maintain throughout next off-season, and his presence seems to be a positive in the locker room and his steady play definitely has helped guys like Bey and Stewart. If Spencer doesn't bounce back from this injury, we might not be able to carry over Wright's value.

If I had to make a choice right now, I think I'd probably do the deal since it increases the number of ping-pong balls we will get in this years draft and gives more playing time to DSJ, Sabian Lee, and Svi.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#16 » by flow » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:30 pm

I don't see trading for Dinwiddie.

That said, some of the comments in here suggest ignorance to the player he's become since leaving Detroit. Unsurprising to me, he made SVG and his detractors look like fools as he developed into a high quality nba player.

To those who feel SVG was a better coach than GM, I give you Dinwiddie. GM SVG's first, and by far best, draft pick. A steal in round 2. But Coach SVG wasted the pick and failed to develop the player & allow the player to develop. Didn't take Brooklyn long.

Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#17 » by Billl » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:53 pm

I don't think we are at a point where should be trading for older players and then hoping to flip them. He's obviously out this season, but what about next year? The only way he rehabs his value is if he play well. We might be able to flip him for a later first, but the cost would likely be diminishing the value of our own first.

We really just need to stay the course. We've got a couple promising rookies, but our overall talent base doesn't project anywhere near contender. We need to add a couple impact youngsters before we start filling around them with vets.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#18 » by vege » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:02 pm

foolinc wrote:I'm on the fence on whether or not I would want to roll the dice and trade for Dinwiddie. On one hand, I don't think that Delon Wright's value is going to get much better than it is right now and neither him nor Dinwiddie would be in Detroit's plans long term. If Spencer rehabs and is back to form, then I think we'd be able to trade him next off-season for something better than a rehabbing Dinwiddie.

On the other hand I think Wright's value will maintain throughout next off-season, and his presence seems to be a positive in the locker room and his steady play definitely has helped guys like Bey and Stewart. If Spencer doesn't bounce back from this injury, we might not be able to carry over Wright's value.

If I had to make a choice right now, I think I'd probably do the deal since it increases the number of ping-pong balls we will get in this years draft and gives more playing time to DSJ, Sabian Lee, and Svi.

He is not a bad player and he could potentially do a big jump in Detroit, not like Grant, but he could improve in our situation, however, don't talk as if he is something great, because he is not, he was a 20/7 player 2 seasons ago, which is fantastic, but, he was very inneficient and had high TO numbers.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#19 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:08 pm

I havent double checked, but someone mentioned the Nets have a few 2nd rounders.

I dont view Dinwiddie as a real asset, especially coming off an injury. But the Nets want to win.

Wright + whatever works for them (Okafar, Svi or something else). For a couple 2nd rounders and Dinwiddie.

Maybe between the two 2nd rounders and Dinwiddie, someone ends up a real asset for the Pistons going forward. Wright is a good player and someone I liked even at the start of the season. I'm happy he finally started shooting the damn ball instead of the Pistons playing with only 4 guys on offense. But the Pistons are two years away and Saben Lee can play PG just fine and will get paid nothing as a 2nd rounder. Plus Hayes has to get playing time to see if he isnt a bust.

Thats that for the PG spot. Maybe one of those 2nd rounders will be another Vanderbilt PG that Stackhouse coached up. On second thought looking at Vanderbilt this year, thats not likely. Thanks for Saben Lee!
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#20 » by MotownMadness » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:12 pm

I would do Wright for Dinwiddie and a couple 2nds. I doubt Dinwiddie opts in at 12 mil per year next season but even if he does it doesn't matter.

Couple assets for free and one less good player actively playing for the tank

Return to Detroit Pistons