ImageImageImage

Danny Ainge and Celtics have interest in trading for Jerami Grant.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Re: Danny Ainge and Celtics have interest in trading for Jerami Grant. 

Post#21 » by DetroitSho » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:05 pm

Snakebites wrote:I’ll be honest- I could care less about dealing with Ainge or the Celtics. A good move is a good move, a bad one is a bad one. How I feel about who the deal is made with means nothing.

That said, 2 things jump out:

1) Ainge has a reputation for being stingy with his assets.

2) The Celtics don’t have a great deal of trade value outside of their 2 star wings who they’re not going to part with. They have their own first rounders and some unimpressive prospects.

It doesn’t surprise me that they’re interested in Grant. I’d even consider dealing him in the right move (though I’ve become a lot more comfortable with the notion of keeping him). There’s no match here IMO.
I have Jaylen Brown on my long term radar of next "star player who becomes unhappy and asks out" or "star player that gets moved". This is clearly not backed up by any facts and I'm not saying he's even unhappy now.

But Boston is just not trending up like it was just automatically assumed they would. It's continually supposed to be their turn next and other teams just keeps surpassing them. I feel by next off-season (summer of 2022) if they haven't become true contenders that fanbase could get antsy and perhaps even start to turn on them.

Of course in my dream scenario this is after year 1 of a promising rookie year with Cade in a Piston uniform and we're looking for a running mate to pair with him. Lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#22 » by Moses ShamMoses » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:26 pm

I'm still leaning toward trading Grant IF you can get a big haul for him. He's a good player but maybe a little overrated at the moment.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#23 » by mattao313 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:33 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:I'm still leaning toward trading Grant IF you can get a big haul for him. He's a good player but maybe a little overrated at the moment.

We should have learned our lesson on guys having career years doesn't mean that'll do it next season. Reggie Jackson and Blake Griffin are prime examples, we need to sell high asap.
Championships
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#24 » by Piston Pete » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:37 pm

There is no way for Boston to get any of these guys they are being linked to (Grant, Vucevic, etc) without trading either Brown or Tatum.

They simply don’t have any other assets worthy of those types of players.

That’s why I think Grant/Plumlee for Brown might be in play, maybe. They get a new starting 4 and 5 for Brown.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#25 » by DCintheD » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:38 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:I'm still leaning toward trading Grant IF you can get a big haul for him. He's a good player but maybe a little overrated at the moment.

I agree. I don’t think Grant has better years beyond his current contract. Sell high IF the price is right. I think we finally have a GM that understands this concept.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#26 » by Piston Pete » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:41 pm

mattao313 wrote:

We should have learned our lesson on guys having career years doesn't mean that'll do it next season. Reggie Jackson and Blake Griffin are prime examples, we need to sell high asap.

And next season, his usage rate will decrease dramatically.

We will have a healthy Hayes.
We will add a high lottery pick.
Guys like Bey and Stewart will get larger roles.

This year, he’s the alpha. His stats are bloated. This is the year his value will be at its peak.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#27 » by rmfc » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:52 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

This year, he’s the alpha. His stats are bloated. This is the year his value will be at its peak.

All true, especially, if Casey's gone.
foolinc
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#28 » by foolinc » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:24 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

If I'm the Pistons front office, I would have to think that Jerami Grant would be someone a lot of teams would be interested this off-season and know that trading with the Celtics can be a pain. But I'd rather trade a player too soon than too late.

That said, I think your assessment of Grant's decreased role is a bit overstated. Hayes' playing time at the end of the season will come at the expense of Wright, DSJ, and Sabian Lee (and to a less extended Justin Jackson and Svi as Wright will definitely get time as the shooting guard). Bey is already getting starter minutes due to us moving on from Blake and unless Stewart's game racially improves over the rest of the season/off-season, I can't see him being used more than 15-25 minutes a game.

Grant's versatility on the court also makes me think that our upcoming draft pick isn't going to affect his playing time too much either, especially during the first half of next season.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#29 » by Piston Pete » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:45 pm

I wasn’t talking about playing time.

I was referring to USAGE RATE.
Ninja moves
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#30 » by Ninja moves » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:07 pm

bstein14 wrote:Personally I'd want two good young assets and two first rounders for Grant. Or 3 first rounders.

They have some interesting young players. Tacko Fall, Carson Edwards, Romeo Langford, Aaron Nesmith, Grant Williams, Tremont Waters, Robert Williams....

As the playoffs approach I think it’s only reasonable to expect that jerami attracts a lot of trade discussion not just from BOS.

In the instance that we were to deal with the Celtics I would personally opt for as many first rounders as possible, given where we are currently with the rebuild.

Out of the young BOS players listed the two I would prioritise would be Langford and Nesmith. Was SO high on Nesmith in last year’s draft. Kid can flat out shoot the ball. Reminiscent of a young Allan Houston me thinks. Perimeter shooting is needed in the modern NBA that simple.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#31 » by flow » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:30 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

Define healthy.

A healed injury? Maybe. But slower and less athletic than before the injury is highly probable.

Ninja moves
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#32 » by Ninja moves » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:42 pm

flow wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:
mattao313 wrote:We should have learned our lesson on guys having career years doesn't mean that'll do it next season. Reggie Jackson and Blake Griffin are prime examples, we need to sell high asap.

Define healthy.

A healed injury? Maybe. But slower and less athletic than before the injury is very probable.

This is my fear, Hayes was never the quickest or most athletic of guards coming into the league.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#33 » by zeebneeb » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:45 pm

Piston Pete wrote:There is no way for Boston to get any of these guys they are being linked to (Grant, Vucevic, etc) without trading either Brown or Tatum.

That’s why I think Grant/Plumlee for Brown might be in play, maybe. They get a new starting 4 and 5 for Brown.
See your on to something here. Plumlee would be a really great fit in Boston, alongside Grant. You add those two to the current Celtics team and they are automatic contenders. Problem here is that Boston has to give up a player they don't want to.

I would do a plumlee/Grant for Brown trade. I have been pretty firm in my not wanting to move Grant but if the Piston land a younger good player, I'm good with it. I woukd also throw in Wright as well, really sweetening the pot for Danny. We would obviously have to take back some crap for contracts but that's the type of trade I would do.

It allows Tatum to be the true alpha, and gives them a big boost at the C position as well as a damn good backup PG. Mason is an excellent passing big man, and also rebound well. He doesn't stray from his lane and gets the job done. The current Celtics need a good big man.

Interesting proposal.
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#34 » by SamFlow » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:22 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:There is no way for Boston to get any of these guys they are being linked to (Grant, Vucevic, etc) without trading either Brown or Tatum.

See your on to something here. Plumlee would be a really great fit in Boston, alongside Grant. You add those two to the current Celtics team and they are automatic contenders. Problem here is that Boston has to give up a player they don't want to.

I would do a plumlee/Grant for Brown trade. I have been pretty firm in my not wanting to move Grant but if the Piston land a younger good player, I'm good with it. I woukd also throw in Wright as well, really sweetening the pot for Danny. We would obviously have to take back some crap for contracts but that's the type of trade I would do.

It allows Tatum to be the true alpha, and gives them a big boost at the C position as well as a damn good backup PG. Mason is an excellent passing big man, and also rebound well. He doesn't stray from his lane and gets the job done. The current Celtics need a good big man.

Interesting proposal.

Add in Nesmith to any deal with boston.
BigDaddyJungle
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#35 » by Piston Pete » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:48 pm

We could always throw in guys like Ellington, Wright, or even Sekou if they’d throw in Nesbit and/or Williams.
foolinc
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#36 » by foolinc » Fri Mar 5, 2021 8:48 pm

Piston Pete wrote:I wasn’t talking about playing time.

I was referring to USAGE RATE.

Grant’s usage rate is currently 26.4, just inside the top 50. While it could go down next season, unless the Pistons draft a Grant like player, it seems more likely that our rookie would slot more into Josh Jackson’s playtime and usage rate (25.4).
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#37 » by thesack12 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 10:44 pm

mattao313 wrote:

He's already showing glaring signs of regressing back to the mean. In February (13 games) his FG% was 41.3 and his 3pt 31.3, which is not good. While his defense is solid, he doesn't do a whole lot more than score. He's not much of a playmaker, and doesn't grab very many rebounds for a frontcourt player.

Of the 39 players averaging 20 PPG or more, Grant has the 6th worse FG% and 13th worst 3pt%, averages the 2nd lowest Assists per game, and has the 7th lowest PER. He's the epitome of a player piling up points on a terrible team.

All this is not to say that he needs to be traded, but taking a hard lined stance that he's untouchable is beyond foolish. Especially considering the state of this team.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,047

Post#38 » by bstein14 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 11:29 pm

I'm all for keeping Grant and hoping he can even further develop into a great player. I know even if he gets better he's still probably a #2 guy on a good playoff team at best, which means we really need to hit it with our top 5 pick this year. Would love to see us finally have the "it" rookie that's a ROY contender. Haven't had that since Grant Hill we're long overdue.

I'm also all for moving Grant if we can get a bunch of assets to help us further the rebuild. We shouldn't feel tied to him just because he decided to sign with us.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#39 » by treefi » Sat Mar 6, 2021 12:41 am

Could Grant fetch us a lottery pick on draft night?
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#40 » by Piston Pete » Sat Mar 6, 2021 12:58 am

treefi wrote:Could Grant fetch us a lottery pick on draft night?

1) How many lottery teams are gonna want to add a 27 year old player who makes $20 mil per instead of a 19-20 year old kid with “potential?”

And if there are any, 2) they will have to have guys to send us to make salaries match.

Return to Detroit Pistons